NJDuck

Lanning Calls Washington State Win “DNA Trait Game”

There are so many upsides about our Ducks  and coaches that is exciting.  "But the Ducks showed a dimension we haven't seen in years."

"They had their backs against the wall the entire game against WSU, but they battled until the final whistle and came out with a hard-fought victory."

Dan Lanning said "he learn something about this team with every game they played.  This team is learning, growing/evolving every game."  I know that excites me seeing this happening.

"This time around this team showed resiliency.  There was moments of sacrifice, growth and toughness.  The things that coach Lanning talked about--connection.  All those things really showed up in that WSU game."  This team is truly taking on that "DNA-trait game."

19dd0e29-3100-47c5-b8bb-2b89327bfd3c

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I heard that quote, great one. 

This is why I think the WSU game was perfect. You can't ask for more that a team to struggle and learn what it takes to pull of a win.

The game against Georgia was also invaluable. Seeing the level a championship team plays at will pay huge dividends down the road. Lanning can talk until he is blue in the face about what it takes to be elite, but they saw it first hand.

I would say the two most important games were the loss and last weeks game. Character is built through adversity!

The WSU game is now part of the Dan Lanning Programs character, love it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Conversely, as much fun as it was to root for the Beavs against USC, you could see their swagger fade towards the end. 

They were just hoping to hang on and win in the end but didn’t have nail in the coffin mentality to just go and grab it.

The Ducks did and that to me was what made that victory  so exciting. I’m really looking forward to watching the Lanning era progress.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's only a fun thing to think about and doesn't really hold any weight - but scoring 29 pts in a single qtr., (on the road, against a 1st class team) would translate to almost 120 points per game - if they kept it up for 4 qtrs.  

Of course,  that could never happen. But I could see the Ducks hanging one (eventually) on a ranked team just like Georgia hung it on us.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I would love to see the Ducks win the PAC in Lanning's first year. 

But if they don't that is on because every single game, win or lose this year will be a foundation building year. And that is critical. 

We haven't really had a solid foundation in a long time. Brooks-Belloti-Kelly-Helfrich was an incredible slate long term coaches that established a culture and foundation for the program. It unraveled for a ton of different reasons in the last two years of the Helfrich era. 

The Taggart and Cristobal era had so much transition that it never felt like a true foundation settled. Now I say that and I'm hoping that Oregon holds onto the majority of this coaching staff for a few years with few changes. The Cristobal era had a ton of coaching turnover... Each coordinator only lasted for about 2 seasons before moving on, let alone the position coaches. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Conversely, as much fun as it was to root for the Beavs against USC, you could see their swagger fade towards the end. 

They were just hoping to hang on and win in the end but didn’t have nail in the coffin mentality to just go and grab it.

The Ducks did and that to me was what made that victory  so exciting. I’m really looking forward to watching the Lanning era progress.

4 INT's against a ranked team will siphon your swagger alright.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, Notalot said:

4 INT's against a ranked team will siphon your swagger alright.

I'm left to ponder: is USC really this good (in their backfield) or is there trouble brewing in Corvallis at the OB position.  I know they're solid on their QB, but... 4 ints in one game?