FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Red Zone Woes Are On Dillingham

Kenny Dillingham’s offense has taken fans by storm and is a breath of fresh air after the previous administration. His system is dynamic and gets players into space to make big plays, but Dillingham is also not afraid to put in a jumbo formation and power the ball forward in short-yardage situations. It is a nightmare for opposing teams to prepare ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Kenny Dillingham's offense has taken fans by storm and is a breath of fresh air after the previous administration. His system is dynamic...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I was impressed with how Cougs defended the short field in the first half. They came out fast and with a ton of energy. I have to recognize the great play by WSU in the red zone that first half.

Dilly made some adjustments going into second half. I think Dilly grew up a bit in that cougs game. He got his 1%. Going forward, KD will be a much better play caller.

That Cougs game should be huge in terms of team growth. We will see Saturday. Trees biggest threat is the passing game. I am more concerned about Ducks pass D than Dillys play calling.

Hats off to the Cougars. They are a fun team to watch. I hope they play like that the rest of the year and it's not just teams playing bigger than they are on Oregon week. 

• Great post! 1

At 32 years old, Kenny Dillingham, while maybe brilliant (offensively) is still pretty young.  Experience is what he needs to round out his football acumen and that can only come one way - with time (and games).

If KD's half as smart as we think he is he'll have learned something in that last game when Oregon botched it in the red zone.  I expect we will see which 'adjustments' this coach has come up with this weekend.  Stanford will be a stiff test down close to the goal line.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/28/2022 at 5:28 AM, Log Haulin said:

Dilly made some adjustments going into second half. I think Dilly grew up a bit in that cougs game. He got his 1%. Going forward, KD will be a much better play caller.

Bingo. 

Our Ducks are a young team, not only the players, but also the coaches. 

We forget because of recent recruiting upgrades that we are building a new football program with a new coaching staff many of whom are also busting through their own personal ceilings of achievement and experience. Dilly’s a Rook and so is Dan Lanning. 

MC is far more experienced but I don’t believe he would have coached like Lanning did or made adjustments or have been nearly as aggressive as dilly and Lanning were. MC likely isn’t throwing it on 4th and 2. 

watching the game again shows just how many plays WSU made. Give em credit. Some of the red zone woes were great plays, missed blocks, and calls into their scheme strength. 

The players will own what could have been different and I’m pretty confident this staff will too. 

Ducks have an powerful improving offense, solid run defense and a kicker.

Looking forward to seeing what each game brings in terms of improvement cause it’s really pretty nice to have a new staff, a rebuilding, year one of a new football program, and be pretty good and improving. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

I've never been a big fan of throwing the ball behind the line of scrimmage, first down market or end zone on critical downs. I keep yelling at the TV to throw the fade a play that should be successful giving the height of our WR and TEs and is most definitely not going to be a pic 6.

In the jumbo package that they usually run at the goal line you could literally have four guys over 6'3", three of them over 6'5" that should be quite the test for any secondary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Bend don't break still works. Dilly faced the defense we use to use, it was like Alliotti was on the other side. 

Fortunately Dilly was better Saturday. Most importantly he is willing to try new things, novel.

• Oh no! 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, Haywarduck said:

Most importantly he is willing to try new things, novel.

He did show flexibility but in-game adjustments can only go so far.  The players need coaching to the new approach and practice to make it work.  What most fans call "in-game adjustments" are really only "plan B's" already worked out and practiced.  

What I think we will see with a coach like this is an actual new approach/plan predicated on what worked against the offense and ways around it.  KD seems to me the type of mind that won't be satisfied with preconceived 'Plan B's".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:02 AM, Dave23 said:

In the jumbo package that they usually run at the goal line you could literally have four guys over 6'3", three of them over 6'5" that should be quite the test for any secondary.

Added to that the threat of a running QB & the RPO and you have a defense with fewer defenders loading the box.  There are actual ways to "stretch" the field even inside the 10 yard line, albeit not like when on the 40.

• Thumbs Up 1

"there are still a lot of lessons for Dillingham to learn. It is far more fun to learn those lessons through victory rather than defeat."

Very true, and no one is going to call a perfect game.  Just keep learning.

For the record I LOVE Dillingham's offense. It is such a breath of fresh air from the previous four years. 

He is super young for an OC and with that he has a lot of growing to do, so does Lanning, and that is really what this season is going to be all about. Growth for the players and coaches. 

Like what many have said so far, Dillingham has learned a lot of lessons so far and I do look for him to prove he has learned those lessons in upcoming games. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, Haywarduck said:

Bend don't break still works. Dilly faced the defense we use to use, it was like Alliotti was on the other side. 

Fortunately Dilly was better Saturday. Most importantly he is willing to try new things, novel.

Bend Don't Break? I thought we signed up for The Havoc defense with Lanning? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I also think coaching is like learning how to play chess. You have to know the moves and when to use them. You also have to be willing to change your moves even though you might have a favorite sequence, based on the defense presented.

We now have a coach who will change his moves, and learn. I also wonder if he has too much experience going against the bend don't break defense he saw. That was a classic Alliotti defense. Let the offense run down the field and then shut them down, cause turnovers. It almost worked.

Predictability will get defeated way too often. A good coach can game plan against something he knows is coming. This is what our previous coach did, and good coaches beat him and are continuing to beat him with lesser talent.

I know look forward to seeing the chess moves in the future coming from our sideline. Hopefully they will come a little earlier in the game than they did up in Pullman.

Stanford is another team we have had troubles with because it takes adjustments. This will be another test of Dilly and Dans ability to adjust and take advantage of situations. They will get taken advantage of if they just stay with what is standard. Should be fun to watch the continued evolution of our offense and defense against the Cardinal.

David, 

Another well written and thought out article.

I to was yelling at my screen during our red zone visits. I have to wonder if Cardwell being injured had some impact on the game calling in those situations.

But, for the life of me, I do not understand calling the same play twice in a row to Dollars. I called the interception before the Dollars was out of the backfield the second time. I'm no genius, and even I recognized it immediately. I'm a huge Sean Dollars, and get excited every time I see him in the game. He has far too many skills to limit him to the same play. KD has to (and will) learn to use all his weapons in a variety of ways.

I'm confident this offense learned for more than 1% Saturday. For this I'm grateful and extremely excited! Go Ducks!!! 

Edited by DUCati855