NJDuck

Arizona State Football Coach Speculation Swirls Around Oregon Coordinator Kenny Dillingham

Can ASU lure Kenny Dillingham from Oregon?  Speculations swirling around why KD would be the right fit.  Personally I hope he turns down the job if offered and stays put at Oregon. With what is happening at ASU, there might be reasons maybe not to take the job?

WWW.AZCENTRAL.COM

Speculation surrounding Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham and the Arizona State football program continues to swirl.

Pretty rare that you’d get a guy to turn down a P5 offer to remain a coordinator. Lanning can inform that decision, of course. But ASU would be a tempting job if sold the right way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:20 AM, Biscuits said:

Pretty rare that you’d get a guy to turn down a P5 offer to remain a coordinator. Lanning can inform that decision, of course. But ASU would be a tempting job if sold the right way. 

I would take it immediately.  

He will get paid millions for several losing seasons.  How does a job offer get better than that?

Stay at Oregon for Less money, with enormous pressure to win. Why? 

I predict he takes offer if it happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, debbieduck said:

Stay at Oregon for Less money, with enormous pressure to win. Why? 

To gain experience and fill his resume', perhaps for a gig in the NFL as a QB's coach or O.C.  I admit ASU would be very tempting, esp. since he's an alumni, but the program is in near free-fall right now.  

He may well want it - but maybe smart enough to know now isn't the right time.  Just my guess.

(Oh, and the pressure to win here would be nothing like the pressure to turn around a disaster at ASU).

Edited by Mic

Ouch ... that would be a tough one to take. I think the Why answer is that it would be good to show some commitment to your new employer.

I get that money talks but not even finishing one year would be wrong in my opinion.  Also guessing that he told recruits how excited he was to be part of what is being built at Oregon and how he was going to help them develop as people and players. Then to say goodbye after months instead of years would be really weak. 

He could stay for at least a couple of years and opportunities at a HC job will exist somewhere else in the future. Maybe even with better programs.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

He's a 31 year old OC with a sweet resume building gig. After a few years of positive results, he could be ready to accept a much better offer than the dumpster fire at ASU. Going there now could be a career killer.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, LADuck said:

Ouch ... that would be a tough one to take. I think the Why answer is that it would be good to show some commitment to your new employer.

I'd tend to agree with you LA but the 'commitment to your employer' seems to have as much influence on today's collegiate coaches as the rally squad. I don't mean to sound sarcastic - but it's just not there like it once was.  And I think it's because of $$$$.

• Applause 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:40 AM, Mic said:

To gain experience and fill his resume', perhaps for a gig in the NFL as a QB's coach or O.C.  I admit ASU would be very tempting, esp. since he's an alumni, but the program is in near free-fall right now.  

He may well want it - but maybe smart enough to know now isn't the right time.  Just my guess.

(Oh, and the pressure to win here would be nothing like the pressure to turn around a disaster at ASU).

Ok I see your points.  But don’t you think there is a lot of pressure to win right now at Oregon?  

That was a good point about building resume for NFL position.  

Several Losing seasons at ASU ( and there will be many) would not help a resume if wanting to be part of the NFL. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great news mom, I just got promoted to captain of the Titanic!

• Haha 9
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

Stick around for two or three years then take that recently vacated Miami gig.

• Salute 1
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, debbieduck said:

But don’t you think there is a lot of pressure to win right now at Oregon?   

Several Losing seasons at ASU ( and there will be many) would not help a resume if wanting to be part of the NFL. 

To the 1st point: yes, but only as it pertains to the performance of the Offense - his dedicated specialty (as opposed to turning an entire program around).  

And to the 2nd point: Bingo!  Of course, I'm assuming he wants to go to the NFL.  

KD strikes me as the Chip Kelly 'type' in that he has ideas on how to revolutionize Offenses, move them forward, so to speak. I think (hope!) this is his sole dedication right now as he has been given a absolute plum of a job at a school that wants, takes pride in and screams for wide-open offense.

Again Debbieduck, this is just my own opinion and who can really know what goes on in the minds of others?

• Thumbs Up 1

ASU is a dumpster fire first and at the bottom of the Pac-12 -- and it's a long way to get to being in the top half of the pac-12 for that program. 

Dilly is in his first season as an OC out from under a head coach mentor in Norvell and Malzhan. I think he is better served staying at Oregon and proving he can field an elite offense alone under out from under offensive HC wings. 

By doing that he will build up Cred that will help him draw in sone decent coaching staff. He isn't a Broyles award finalist Coordinator coming off a Natty like Lanning. 

I also think if he waits, he can get a better gig that's not a dumpster fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:15 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Like Kamikaze Kid points out - the Miami job may come up!    (or is that a dumpster fire too?)

Edited by Mic
  • Wow 1

ASU is a manure storm on so many levels, including a clueless and Machiavellian university president. If KD’s  offenses keep performing at this level he’ll have much better opportunities. 

• Cool 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, lownslowav8r said:

ASU is a manure storm on so many levels, including a clueless and Machiavellian university president. If KD’s  offenses keep performing at this level he’ll have much better opportunities. 

Certainly, but I sure hope those opportunities don't come too soon! 

Seriously, I hope KD is SO focused on Offense right now, on designing and experimenting on how to make the game go faster and harder, that he's got absolutely no interest what-so-ever in taking on the role (and headaches) of being a Head Coach.

But then, my wife tells me I can be selfish at times. Aren't we all?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here’s my honest thoughts about Oregon and it’s revolving door coaching quandary. 

I am worried we’re going to be a stepping stone, for young hot shots, wanting to go to the power 2 conferences.

My only hope is that we can honestly become a perennial PAC-10 champ meaning playoffs every year!

But get ready to pay 8 million a year for head coach to stay.  Not to mention the other coaches.

How big is Oregons Pocket book?  

• Like 1

Probably not big enough (debbie duck).  Uncle Phil's well-heeled, of course, but that doesn't mean he will want to just throw money around.  Some of the other really big programs are so well endowed with $ that Oregon, a relatively small university in a very small media market, will always struggle to compete.  

Gotta keep finding these Chip Kelly's and Dan Lanning's out there before the big schools do.

The assistants will leave, nothing we can do about that other than keep hiring coaches who can become successful. 

Who wouldn't want to be the OC at Oregon? Who is the last OC we had who isn't a head coach now, Helfrich?

The only questions for Dilly on this subject, is when does he want to become a head coach, and what circumstances is he looking for?

I tend to think he wants a little more experience under Dan, and he may not want to take over a catastrophically bad situation, first job.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2022 at 10:12 AM, Haywarduck said:

The assistants will leave, nothing we can do about that other than keep hiring coaches who can become successful. 

Who wouldn't want to be the OC at Oregon? Who is the last OC we had who isn't a head coach now, Helfrich?

The only questions for Dilly on this subject, is when does he want to become a head coach, and what circumstances is he looking for?

I tend to think he wants a little more experience under Dan, and he may not want to take over a catastrophically bad situation, first job.

giphy.gif

No Fair, using the Liar Liar, Arizona States a Dumpster Fire GIF!

• Haha 1

In coaching you don't want to follow the legend. I also don't think you want to step in while the smoke is still in the air. ASU is not the best opportunity that KD will see if he has success at Oregon. ASU is an interim job that should be laid on whoever was the last guy to get out the door. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, debbieduck said:

Here’s my honest thoughts about Oregon and it’s revolving door coaching quandary. 

I am worried we’re going to be a stepping stone, for young hot shots, wanting to go to the power 2 conferences.

My only hope is that we can honestly become a perennial PAC-10 champ meaning playoffs every year!

But get ready to pay 8 million a year for head coach to stay.  Not to mention the other coaches.

How big is Oregons Pocket book?  

I think it was after Helfrich or Taggart when there was a rumor based on a conversation  that Phil might be willing to pay $10m for a coach.

Remember?

At the time that was about double Saban's salary.

I believe Phil and some donor friends might be willing, if he hasn't already, to subsidize coach and staff salaries if he believes it can keep the program on the right trajectory. 

Otherwise, if I'm any assistant in the country, I'd consider dealing with a dumpster fire for a few million.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, Haywarduck said:

Frost and Lubick.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, 30Duck said:

In coaching you don't want to follow the legend. I also don't think you want to step in while the smoke is still in the air. ASU is not the best opportunity that KD will see if he has success at Oregon. ASU is an interim job that should be laid on whoever was the last guy to get out the door. 

devil satan GIF

OK, who's Next for ASU, step right up!

I can't see KD leaving Oregon for several reasons.

This is his first OC job where he is solely responsible for the play calling.  He needs some time getting experience as the sole OC, give him a couple years and then he might consider it.

Second he's working at a Top 10-15 program in the nation which has the funds to compete for a National Championship.  ASU is never going to be that, IMO.

Third,  he and DL are good friends and I don't think KD would leave DL after a few months in the middle (or end ) of this season.  His first season at U of O.

Fourth,  as it's been said already, ASU is a dumpster fire with possible sanctions  looming.  Not a great landing spot.  Its going to be a tough rebuild.

Fifth,  offers will be coming for KD, good offers.  Probably in a couple years.  Be patient and take over a program that is setup for success not one teetering on failure.

One caveat,  I didn't see Mario leaving either.  Although I'm thankful now!  🙂 

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's see, dumpster fire program with unknown NCAA sledgehammer about to come down on Covid recruiting violations.  LSU's situation was minor compared to ASU's ( LSU football program violated recruiting rules when a former assistant coach and former assistant director of recruiting met separately with a prospect during the COVID-19 recruiting dead period and provided the prospect with impermissible recruiting inducements.)  ASU's was multiple recruits and families on campus and at least 4 staff members toast. 

Unless it is life altering money (of course, anything in 7 figures qualifies) why, why, why.

Bid your time at Oregon and wait for a better P-5 situation, which comes around a few times a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dilly's stock is only going to go up, unless he makes the wrong choice. That is the bottomline.

6v1ruz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

If Dilly wants to bounce to go coach his alma mater, so be it. Would love to see him stick around but that is a pretty big opportunity. 

I don't know but I think he makes over a mil as Oregons OC. Could be wrong. Money might not be the driver at this point.

Whether now or down the road, Dilly will move on to other things. Would love to see what he can do at Oregon for a few years first. 

If he is offered the ASU job he should take it. It's to big of an opportunity not to. If it were me, I believe in myself and go make ASU the best team in college football. 

Good luck to the young man no matter what he ends up with.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, Mic said:

Like Kamikaze Kid points out - the Miami job may come up!    (or is that a dumpster fire too?)

A dumpster fire with a history and location (Especially for recruiting) that makes it a ripe, low hanging fruit for the right man.

That's assuming one of those 'CAT 5' Hurricanes doesn't wipe it from the face of the earth with a direct hit...

• Oh no! 1

On 9/28/2022 at 9:15 AM, DazeNconfused said:

ASU is a dumpster fire first and at the bottom of the Pac-12 -- and it's a long way to get to being in the top half of the pac-12 for that program. 

Dilly is in his first season as an OC out from under a head coach mentor in Norvell and Malzhan. I think he is better served staying at Oregon and proving he can field an elite offense alone under out from under offensive HC wings. 

By doing that he will build up Cred that will help him draw in sone decent coaching staff. He isn't a Broyles award finalist Coordinator coming off a Natty like Lanning. 

Agree and as others have said ASU is a mess.  He's got Moore coming next year and can possibly build his resume and wait for something better.

Not yet.

For what it's worth (2 cents?) I think Ken Dillingham is going to be around for about 3 years because:

In 3 years, this program could be in the National Championship game again and it would be his Offense on display nationally.

Right now KD is still learning everything that goes into being the top man on offense:  the recruiting, the coaching, the scheming; and he has a lot still to learn about all three.

O.C.'s and D.C.'s are now starting to get plump salaries of their own including lots of perks - without all the extra pressure and headaches of being the H.C.  The H.C.'s are the 1st to get blamed when teams struggle.

H.C.'s are far more likely to get fired when things go wrong with the program - on the drop of a hat.  But this is all just fun speculation.

On 9/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, Augduck said:

Agree and as others have said ASU is a mess.  He's got Moore coming next year and can possibly build his resume and wait for something better.

Maybe.  In this modern world of '100% commitments' being about as solid as the ether they're tweeted on, I wouldn't want to hold my breath on this one.  Nix could be back, TT might just stay on and who knows if JB does as well?  

I still say Oregon needs to be looking hard at replacing our senior linemen - on both sides of the ball.  KD knows this, I'm certain.

Really depends on how much AZ St is going to pay--nothing in life is a guarantee. For 5plus mil he probably will take it.

For 3 mil I would coach the Fuskies---but Im a terrible coach and that would be great for the Ducks--just sayin

• Haha 1

KD Might be locked and loaded as an OC: He would be a better candidate in a year or two once he has had the chance to watch how Lanning handles the ins and outs of running the whole program. He will be a better rounded candidate after learning through observation.

In any event, I don't see Miami ever wanting to hire another coach from Oregon: They'll still have that bad taste in their mouth.

Urban Meyer could be a home run hire from ASU’s perspective while being fuel to the dumpster fire in reality. Thus keeping KD in Eugene for a couple more years.