FishDuck Article

Best Defense: Wazzu’s Cover-1 or Oregon’s Cover-2?

Many Duck fans were surprised by the Wazzu defense, as they seemed to be faster than the Ducks, getting into the backfield and blowing up plays. Fans’ observations that two defenses appeared different were correct: they are two different pass defense schemes. Both teams run a 4-2-5 scheme for the most part. This defense consists of four men on the ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Many Duck fans were surprised by the Wazzu defense, as they seemed to be faster than the Ducks, getting into the backfield and blowing up...

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Your article is a good and useful explanation written for common fans. Thank you, DnC.

It seems to me that the defense is improving still with a long way to go.

Team leadership and on-field communication must improve, and self-inflicted  blows must be reduced.

Go Ducks. Go DnC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great analysis DnC!  Excellent job of teaching Cover 1, 2, & 0.  I can't wait until the coaches get the whole package of defense installed and perfected.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that's why WSU looked so fast on the edges.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:23 AM, Mic said:

So that's why WSU looked so fast on the edges.

Yes! That extra man up close made them fast to the edges. They are daring you to run or pass to the edges, and if your run straight at them they have the numbers in the box. 

The Ducks are giving you those bubble screens, slants, short crosses and RB screes - and it takes us longer to get the safety into the play to support it. 

WAZZU is giving up the mid-range crosses and deep balls - the Ducks are taking that away.

It will be interesting to see how USC does with the WAZZU defense in two weeks. Can the USC OL protect long enough for the mid-range crosses and deep routes to open up? WAZZU is built to rush 5 when it wants with is one deep safety Cover-1 scheme. 

I didn't catch much of the Beavs - USC game, but I did see the beavs run both cover-1 and cover-2.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't really studied Stanford yet this year (better get busy) but it doesn't appear that they're using the TE position as much as in the past.  Their top 5 receivers are 4 WR's and 1 RB.  Their TE tacks in at #7 in catches.

Also, with E.J. Smith reported not available Saturday, the running duties will fall heavier of Filkins who's averaging about 2 yards less per carry than Smith.  (Smith is also #6 on pass catches).

This leads me to believe Stanford will attempt to pass more, maybe run less, and attack the soft spots of the Oregon Defense, using the the slants and screens much like WSU.  Unless, of course, David Shaw (cagey fellow he is) comes up with something else.

End result: Oregon will likely continue with their Cover-2 you and Charles are describing here and Stanford is going to have a rough time keeping up with the Oregon offensive juggernaut.  I won't predict a 'blowout' but I might call it a thumping if Stanford can't force a couple turnovers.  GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Salute 1

On 9/29/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mic said:

I haven't really studied Stanford yet this year (better get busy) but it doesn't appear that they're using the TE position as much as in the past.  Their top 5 receivers are 4 WR's and 1 RB.  Their TE tacks in at #7 in catches.

Also, with E.J. Smith reported not available Saturday, the running duties will fall heavier of Filkins who's averaging about 2 yards less per carry than Smith.  (Smith is also #6 on pass catches).

This leads me to believe Stanford will attempt to pass more, maybe run less, and attack the soft spots of the Oregon Defense, using the the slants and screens much like WSU.  Unless, of course, David Shaw (cagey fellow he is) comes up with something else.

End result: Oregon will likely continue with their Cover-2 you and Charles are describing here and Stanford is going to have a rough time keeping up with the Oregon offensive juggernaut.  I won't predict a 'blowout' but I might call it a thumping if Stanford can't force a couple turnovers.  GO OREGON!

Tree ran for 200 yards on USC but the Huskies held them to 86 yards or so. I don't think they are going to be able to run the ball on us much.

The have that Slow Mesh RPO I posted on yesterday - they won't be the old power run play action team. Thye still have big WRs - I'd like to see Bridges with is his 6'3" frame and 7-foot wingspan to stone the endzone fade on them!

On 9/29/2022 at 9:10 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Tree ran for 200 yards on USC but the Huskies held them to 86 yards or so. I don't think they are going to be able to run the ball on us much.

ESPN is also reporting that E.J.Smith is out for the rest of the season so we won't see him in uniform at Autzen.  There went their best rusher, averaging 6.9 yds per carry.  I think he had a lot to do with the 200 yards Stanford got against USC.  He did not play against Washington (when they rushed for <90).  So, there's that much.

Tanner McKee is a pretty good passer it appears with a 67% completion rate, (but w/4 ints to 6 td's).  WR Michael Williams has the most receptions (13) for the most yards (286) with an excellent 22+ yard per catch.  I don't see how else Stanford can attack Oregon's defense much differently than WSU did if Charles' & DNZ's analysis is correct about the weak points to the Cover-2.

If you are right, and S can't run the ball against O's defense - well, that's probably why the betting houses have O at -20. Thanks to yours and Charles analysis we should be able to watch this play out and better understand why things are happening the way they might.  

I still think Stanford is dangerous (having won 2 of the last 4 and leading the overall series) but maybe not so dangerous right now. O should win this going away.

For now Cover-2 will keep teams in front of the defense and make them earn their points. In the Pac12 that seems to be the right play. We may not see the stats we want. But, it should help us see more W's.

It shows that our LB's are team players and not glory hounds. Lanning is building a true team and I'm loving it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mic said:

ESPN is also reporting that E.J.Smith is out for the rest of the season so we won't see him in uniform at Autzen.  There went their best rusher, averaging 6.9 yds per carry.  I think he had a lot to do with the 200 yards Stanford got against USC.  He did not play against Washington (when they rushed for <90).  So, there's that much.

Tanner McKee is a pretty good passer it appears with a 67% completion rate, (but w/4 ints to 6 td's).  WR Michael Williams has the most receptions (13) for the most yards (286) with an excellent 22+ yard per catch.  I don't see how else Stanford can attack Oregon's defense much differently than WSU did if Charles' & DNZ's analysis is correct about the weak points to the Cover-2.

If you are right, and S can't run the ball against O's defense - well, that's probably why the betting houses have O at -20. Thanks to yours and Charles analysis we should be able to watch this play out and better understand why things are happening the way they might.  

I still think Stanford is dangerous (having won 2 of the last 4 and leading the overall series) but maybe not so dangerous right now. O should win this going away.

I think Stanford will try to hit some mid-range balls on us. Two deep safeties don't exclude completing a downfield pass, it just makes it harder and more chance of a pick. Tree has some tall WR and the QB is a big guy with a big arm. A mid-range route from a WR set out wide that shows an inside move will hold the safety and let them turn the route back to the sideline like an out-post pattern. 

A great back shoulder throw where a big WR highpoints can beat the corner and safety who is coming over to help. But it takes a great route, a great throw that is on time and a great high-point catch. Thats a lot harder to pull off than the short passing game on a consistent basis and why you see teams working underneath on us. The other question is if the Tree OL can block long enough for mid-range and deep routes to develop?

It's a lot easier to play pass defense as a corner when you know you have help over the top in Cover-2. 

Now WAZZU with the one deep and man-to-man is a lot easier to hit those mid-range and deep balls. The corners have to keep outside leverage because if they let a guy up the sideline right away, it's the farthest point for the deep safety to come give help. So, the WAZZU DBs are open to inside moves that the WR can gain separation and once your behind in man-to-man it's hard to catch up. The corner reacts inside to cover the route and then the WR reacts outside and gets it. 

Plus, against Cover-1 if you run two go routes up the sideline the safety can only help on one - you're getting man-to-man on one side. Cover-1 gets easier to defend the long ball if you have a Dien Sanders - Jalen Ramsey type of corner, you just let him play man deep on his own if they test him. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1

On 9/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, DUCati855 said:

For now Cover-2 will keep teams in front of the defense and make them earn their points. In the Pac12 that seems to be the right play. We may not see the stats we want. But, it should help us see more W's.

It shows that our LB's are team players and not glory hounds. Lanning is building a true team and I'm loving it.

Good points and we face good QBs this year. Jalen Hall, Cameron Ward, Tanner McKee, Penix Jr, Cam Rising and possibly Caleb Williams in the Pac-12 Championship.

• Thumbs Up 1