47sgs

Jace Feely, Oregon kicker commit, flips to AZ State

It appears, according to Arizona State sites, that recently Oregon commit Jace Feely has backed off his commitment and has now committed to Arizona State.  That's very unfortunate, as he had a very strong leg, regularly kicking kickoffs 70 yards.  That would have been a significant benefit for us.  Hope coach can find another one.

Did ASU give him a scholarship?  That might have been the difference....

Mr. FishDuck

Feely said that the opportunity to stay close to his father was important. 

From 247sports.com 

The chance at a scholarship sooner, sounded like the issue to me.  Until they have signed and filled out paperwork, is the lock to commitment, I believe.  Other than that, it's a persons word, whatever that means, today.  But just makes you look, a bit foolish, IMHO.  Life is about going out and making it your own.  When you have setbacks, reaching out to those you trust to guide you in the right direction.  Good Luck young Feely.  Your not done with Life decisions and I wish you the best of luck, going forward.

He sounded like he was worth a scholarship for Oregon. MC should have given him one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

He sounded like he was worth a scholarship for Oregon. MC should have given him one. 

Definitely worth a scholarship. The question is, Did MC have a scholarship to give? If we want JTT, do we have a scholarship to give him if he wants it? Who else will we miss out on if we have no scholarships to give? That's the problem with a larger class: you have to make decisions based on probabilities and unknowns. It's definitely an area that hindsight is 20/20 and it's impossible to know beforehand what you will have in the end to give.

We have two scholarships left and one is being reserved for JTT, and the other for the transfer portal since it is expected to have a ton of activity in the off-season.  If JTT decides elsewhere, then perhaps there is the kicker scholarship?

Mr. FishDuck

5 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Feely said that the opportunity to stay close to his father was important. 

From 247sports.com 

In this it also says, "Feely, who plans to begin taking classes at ASU starting March 8, will be a preferred walk-on for the Sun Devils with an opportunity to be put on a scholarship starting in the spring of 2022." So it sounds as if a scholarship is not definite.

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

We have two scholarships left and one is being reserved for JTT, and the other for the transfer portal since it is expected to have a ton of activity in the off-season.  If JTT decides elsewhere, then perhaps there is the kicker scholarship?

We have a backup kicker on scholarship already. Adding another one doesn't make any sense to me.

There's always more kickers, and non-scholarship guys can be just as good as those who are getting a full ride, based on what we've seen at Oregon and generally the last decade or so.

If he wants to go to a losing program, then god bless him.

3 hours ago, Foursport1of1 said:

If he wants to go to a losing program, then god bless him.

Yes, better he go there than USC. However, the worst is that it is disenchanting that we do find ourselves vulnerable at all in our recruiting. We don't often see that under MC.

I stand with the mustache. It is time to give Katleman a scholarship, and forget about the touted, entitled, confused recruits who aren't the playa Henry is!

17 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

MC didn't have a scholarship to give. Oregon is already teetering with the overall scholarship limit. Add in that teams only keep one scholarshipped Kicker, Punter and Long Snapper on roster at any given point and we don't have one to give.

From what I read, its the kicking coach at AZ that caused Jace to flip. (1) Jace already has a relationship with him (helped him develop where he is now). (2) His dad is the one that caused Jace to flip... focused him on the coach's record of developing kickers (its a pretty good record). Look at Oregon and their history with kickers.

A lot has to do with recruiting, but there really isn't any evidence of kickers being coached up... not that I can recall. Kicking has been a peeve of mine for some time. Oregon isn't recruiting kickers well, and certainly has not been coaching up well. That why this stinks so much. We need someone like him.

26 minutes ago, Trevor said:

From what I read, its the kicking coach at AZ that caused Jace to flip. (1) Jace already has a relationship with him (helped him develop where he is now). (2) His dad is the one that caused Jace to flip... focused him on the coach's record of developing kickers (its a pretty good record). Look at Oregon and their history with kickers.

A lot has to do with recruiting, but there really isn't any evidence of kickers being coached up... not that I can recall. Kicking has been a peeve of mine for some time. Oregon isn't recruiting kickers well, and certainly has not been coaching up well. That why this stinks so much. We need someone like him.

You're right, we do need someone like him. Sounds like AZ had inside help. 

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

As long ago as the late 70s I remember fans in the stands saying we need Gus the Mule on the kicking team.

1 hour ago, Annie said:

As long ago as the late 70s I remember fans in the stands saying we need Gus the Mule on the kicking team.

Gus was good, for sure.

• Haha 1