Mic

Is This Stanford's Greatest Threat?

After considering all the information I could find on Stanford, (including Joey Mac's Duck Insider show today where he interviewed Stanford's John Platz) I think the one area a depleted Tree team could attack Oregon's defense is their passing game to their WR's.  They have size at the receiver position, bigger than what Oregon can match with our shorter (albeit quicker) DB's.

Only Trikweze Bridges has anywhere near the height and wingspan of the Stanford receivers and even then he gives up 2 inches or more.  Gonzalez gives up 3" and other O DB's 4" or more.  

The so-called 50-50 balls where the QB throws the ball high and to the outside shoulder making the catch one of a jump ball situation has worked very well for Stanford over the years.

Here is where Lanning/Lupoi's Cover 2 defense (designed to limit the deep passes and keep everything in front of them) can be attacked, especially if/when Stanford gets near the red zone.  

Stanford did give up 8 sacks to Washington.  Oregon needs to see if they can do the same and keep their QB scrambling for his life and not steady in the pocket. I'm not original in thinking this.  This is Platz's feeling on how the Tree can find success against the Ducks.

I am hearing Tree could be without two OT's ☹. The passing game could get a little tough for Furd if true. 

I think Bridges is improving, and these are great learning games for him.  I am still surprised that the highly rated Dontae' Manning has not won the job.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I hear Saturn will be viewable in the sky this Saturday night. The Stanford qb might want to know where to look for it as he will be on his back quite often.

My guess if the Stanford qb will be able to view Saturn about 10 times, and might be down for a bit so he might be able to find it if he knows where to look. Something productive for him to do while on his back.

2021-11-10-1024x1024.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

On 9/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

I hear Saturn will be viewable in the sky this Saturday night. The Stanford qb might want to know where to look for it as he will be on his back quite often.

I don’t think he will be seeing planets, I think he will be seeing stars. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, Mic said:

Only Trikweze Bridges has anywhere near the height and wingspan of the Stanford receivers and even then he gives up 2 inches or more.  Gonzalez gives up 3" and other O DB's 4" or more.  

In last year's disaster of a game Bridges was supposed to be a weapon to stop these Stanford receivers... but in opening kick off they called him for targeting. Which was an awful call because he got himself low, as you should, and then the Stanford player lowered his head into Bridges. But because this targeting rule is not about the player's safety Bridges was flagged for targeting. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The NCAA recently announced changes to the targeting rule. These changes are not yet in effect, but there will be a vote in April to...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great article. I've been thinking that there should be some sort of tiered targeting penalty system as well as separation of targeting and incidental contact. This article stated it much better than I could.

I think the biggest challenge in past ranked Oregon vs Stanford games is that the players for some reason just didn't take the tree seriously.  So I hope that isn't the case this time.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, Utki said:

I think the biggest challenge in past ranked Oregon vs Stanford games is that the players for some reason just didn't take the tree seriously.  So I hope that isn't the case this time.

I'm going back and forth in my mind, show them last years game as a team to make sure they do take them seriously. But I also think they need to not be reminded.

Enough guys who played in that game are still here to know to take them seriously. Just play good football and you win. Oregon playing at its best vs Stanford playing at its best Oregon wins every time!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/29/2022 at 4:42 PM, David Marsh said:

In last year's disaster of a game Bridges was supposed to be a weapon to stop these Stanford receivers... but in opening kick off they called him for targeting. Which was an awful call because he got himself low, as you should, and then the Stanford player lowered his head into Bridges. But because this targeting rule is not about the player's safety Bridges was flagged for targeting.

I had forgotten about that!  Well, their big receivers are mostly seniors and TB is now one year older himself.  But he can't do it alone.  Lanning & Lupoi have a task in front of them.  Washington solved the conundrum, Oregon should be able to as well.  I hope.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:24 PM, Mic said:

I had forgotten about that!  Well, their big receivers are mostly seniors and TB is now one year older himself.  But he can't do it alone.  Lanning & Lupoi have a task in front of them.  Washington solved the conundrum, Oregon should be able to as well.  I hope.

The big thing that Oregon will need to do is just use some offensive firepower. Stanford's overall offense is not as good. Oregon will get enough stops and just needs the offensive points to ensure the victory. 

Last year Oregon's offense did the Cristobal thing of playing to not lose and went run heavy and burn out the clock. Instead it shot itself in the foot with penalties and was forced to punt. 

Stanford got some very lucky penalty calls along the way and Oregon's defense was just not a stout enough unit to be dependable for a final stand and they failed. 

Lanning will have the offensive firepower. He needs to use it to put Stanford away without the opportunity of coming back, because Stanford will come back and bite us if Oregon leaves the door open even just a crack. Slam the door shut with points and get as many stops as possible defensivly and we will be ok. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:04 PM, Mic said:

After considering all the information I could find on Stanford, (including Joey Mac's Duck Insider show today where he interviewed Stanford's John Platz) I think the one area a depleted Tree team could attack Oregon's defense is their passing game to their WR's.  They have size at the receiver position, bigger than what Oregon can match with our shorter (albeit quicker) DB's.

The so-called 50-50 balls where the QB throws the ball high and to the outside shoulder making the catch one of a jump ball situation has worked very well for Stanford over the years.

Here is where Lanning/Lupoi's Cover 2 defense (designed to limit the deep passes and keep everything in front of them) can be attacked, especially if/when Stanford gets near the red zone.  

Stanford did give up 8 sacks to Washington.  Oregon needs to see if they can do the same and keep their QB scrambling for his life and not steady in the pocket. I'm not original in thinking this.  This is Platz's feeling on how the Tree can find success against the Ducks.

Basic offense down to 2 scholly RB's, Both starting Tackles are injured and they have a terrible and undersized DL. I'd think we tee off with 5-7 sacks and render them impotent. Don't see Stanford scoring more than 17 and we should go off as they'll have to go cover 1 to deal with the run game. At that point, we'll torch them with the deep ball. Don't be surprised if the score gets out of hand. This is the worst Stanford team I've seen and McKee shouldn't be the QB in a slow mesh scheme, especially without his 2 starting tackles. 

On 9/29/2022 at 3:13 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am hearing Tree could be without two OT's ☹. The passing game could get a little tough for Furd if true. 

One for sure.  A 2nd possibly.  Definitely w/o E.J.Smith, their top rusher.  They have another kid (Filikins) who's been pretty good. Their strength: the big WR's & TE and an (apparently) outstanding pocket passer in McKee (top rated QB when passing from a clean pocket last weekend).  O's DB's will be tested and a pass rush will be important.  I don't think they will be able to run effectively against the Ducks, tho.  

Lots of passes: ie screens and slants which is what Lupoi's defense concedes to prevent the long gainers.  Shots to the corners of the end zone on jump balls, that sort of thing.  I agree with David Marsh - the Ducks have too much firepower for Stanford to keep up but they may score more points than fans think.  The line has narrowed a bit to -17 with an o/u of 63.  O, 41-21 or something in that range?

Valid point on size of UO DBs.   Still, the position requires a unique set of skills/physical attributes that are indicated in recruiting checklists. 

“Defensive back football recruiting guidelines NCAA Division 1—FBS Average college football player size for DB: 5’11” / 189 lbs Should be a three-year varsity starter Multiple years competing at the All-State level The recruit should be the best athlete on the field! He can flip hips and get in and out of breaks without false steps.”

On 9/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, joeevan said:

“Defensive back football recruiting guidelines NCAA Division 1—FBS Average college football player size for DB: 5’11” / 189 lbs Should be a three-year varsity starter Multiple years competing at the All-State level The recruit should be the best athlete on the field! He can flip hips and get in and out of breaks without false steps.”

Is there a link to this document?

I'm going with the positive here (don't tell my wife).

After reading the Fishduck articles this week about the Safe defense and Cover 2:

Oregon plays Cover 2 taking away Stanfords only weapon, the deep ball to whatever tall reciever they pick.

Front 7 continues to crush the run and crushes Tanner repeatedly. 

Our O runs (and passes) wild as Stanford concedes by early 3rd quarter, but Lanning refuses to let up.

Ducks 55-10 

• Mic drop 1

For lownslowav:

WWW.NCSASPORTS.ORG

See how you stack up compared to the average college football player size and learn what it takes to compete in college based on your position and desired division level.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, joeevan said:

For lownslowav:

WWW.NCSASPORTS.ORG

See how you stack up compared to the average college football player size and learn what it takes to compete in college based on your position and desired division level.

That's an interesting comparison.  I like that it takes it all the way down to the different collegiate levels at each position.  

So, going by this analysis (I can't speak for its accuracy) Stanford's WR's are way bigger (esp in height) than the NCAA Div. I level WR's on average.  And to add to that advantage, our DB's are actually pretty average for the Div. I level in size: ie. <than Furd's WR's by a lot.

Bottom line:  Big mismatch for the Furd.  Now, Let's see if McKee can take advantage of all the height advantage he has to throw to.  Didn't watch the Washington game, but they coped with it obviously very well.  I expect we will too, if in a somewhat different way.

Edited by Mic