FishDuck Article

Circa 2012: Lanning Replicates Bend-But-Don’t-Break Defense

Duck fans, sometimes two heads are better than one, and amazing minds tend to think alike. It appears Oregon’s head coach Dan Lanning has concluded that the best path to follow with his team during his first year is the Chip Kelly recipe. Kelly certainly displayed an amazing mind during his tenure coaching the Ducks. Lanning can’t do any better ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Duck fans, sometimes two heads are better than one, and amazing minds tend to think alike. It appears Oregon’s head coach Dan Lanning has...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I don't mind the bend don't break philosophy on defense.  The problem with it is when the offense comes out flat or the opposing defense game plan stops them in their tracks.

The Kelly offense, at times, played miserably and it put a ton of pressure on Nick's D. Lost some pivotal games against Az and others if my memory serves me right.

I trust the process of Lanning's D learning his system week to week. I think by season end this will not be a bend don't break D. 

Looking forward to the " we are going to grind you into the dirt at your own 5 yard line, take the ball from you and score " defense. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I use to hate it, but grew to appreciate the defense and Alliotti. I definitely like what Lanning is doing, and now can better appreciate this scheme. 

I also look for the zone blitzes to be more effective against Stanford, at least to the naked eye with sacks.

The one Alliotti move I will never like is the DB's lining up behind the first down markers on third and long. I can do without that part of bend don't break!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I love it!  The Aliotti version of the Bend-But-Don’t-Break defense was a proven strategy.  I wish that Coach Nick had been the head coach instead of Helfrich.  We could've kept the explosive offense and never experienced the defensive disasters when he left.

Give Coach Lanning time to recruit his type of D line players, and we will see more of what he did last year at Georgia.

Thank you DazeNConfused for sharing your football expertise and skill of writing!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This article is not what you are seeing anywhere else, nor were the two articles yesterday.  We may not like this strategy at times, but we have to trust that Lanning is trying to win with the players he has--with the skills/knowledge they have.

In my research, I found a TON of sophisticated blitzes at Georgia, and I would like to think we will see them gradually over time.  But the fact is--we had some major blitzes against Eastern Washington...that went nowhere.  Hence the strategy we are running now...

Do remember that when we got a lead, Nick would run a ton of turnover-creating blitzes, and I'd like to think we will see more over time, but like DZC...I think the Bend-But-Don't-Break concept is the fundamental strategy of defense this year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning has evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of his team and has set out a plan for success based on that evaluation. That plan currently has the Ducks in the top fifteen and rising weekly.

Down in Miami, Mario has been ramming his plod ball scheme down their throats with disastrous results. The fan base is wondering what the heck happened to their Heisman contending QB and high octane offense. The program directions of Mario's my way or the highway mentality vs Lanning's perpetual growth mindset couldn't be more opposite.

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 9/30/2022 at 6:35 AM, Smith72 said:

I love it!  The Aliotti version of the Bend-But-Don’t-Break defense was a proven strategy.  I wish that Coach Nick had been the head coach instead of Helfrich.  We could've kept the explosive offense and never experienced the defensive disasters when he left.

Give Coach Lanning time to recruit his type of D line players, and we will see more of what he did last year at Georgia.

Thank you DazeNConfused for sharing your football expertise and skill of writing!

I'm glad you liked the article!  Charles deserves a ton of credit; his hands are on this article top to bottom.

We don't just tell readers about what we are seeing, we try to give insight into why we are seeing things. 

FishDuck is the first I've seen the publish that the Bend-But-Don't-Break is back!

We are also the first saying this is the closest thing to the Chip Kelly Oregon Duck Football - the Oregon Football Brand 

I shocked Charles yesterday when I said we are No. 16 in the Nation in rush defense while playing the Oregon Cover-2 with two deep safties. 

Charles has hours and hours in watching the Lanning scheme at Georgia, he is a source of information when I have questions. 

He has told us about the MINT defense front: I credit it to our great run game defense, but I can't tell you the nut and bolts of it like he can. 

How Lanning's using simulated pressures to get pressure with the four-man rush: Charles is our guy! He has done a zone blitz video back from the Nick Aliotti days that is apparently very similar to what Lanning is doing. 

There are lots of questions we have now with the Bend-But-Don't-Break Redux; I know I was just yesterday hitting Charles with another question. 

I'm sure Mr. FishDuck will have more to share with us. It's only week four and things seem turned upside down from what I expected.

I feel like Lanning did the Rope-A-Dope on me, but I like it. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you DZC, and below is a short primer on Lanning's MINT defense...

FISHDUCK.COM

For the first time in nearly a decade–watching the defense at Oregon is going to be highly entertaining again due to the new Mint defense and pressure packages...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

The one statistic that counts is "scoreboard" and the end justifies the means!

Keep these articles coming. Thx

Omigosh!  Here is an article explaining how Oregon's Bend-But-Don't-Break defense was instrumental in beating Florida State in the Playoff.  GREAT information, and quite entertaining!

FISHDUCK.COM

We examine how Oregon's defense works in the Rose Bowl against Florida State. It bends, but does not break, and this defense works!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Here is a page of Zone Blitz defensive analyses in our analysis library for those who want to blow some time before the game.  What a resource!

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com shares analysis articles about the Zone Blitzes of the Oregon Defense.

Mr. FishDuck

'Bend, Don't Break' defense works great - when the offense can score light lightening.  The other team can dominate the time of possession. The offense needs a Chip Kelly roaring Ferrari.  

The defense is also, I think, necessitated by personal.  When a team is stacked with defensive monsters like Georgia has, not needed.  imo  I suspect Oregon is playing the best defense Lanning thinks we can with what we have - personnel wise.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Does the talent on the roster dictates bend but don’t break more than wanting to bend in the first place? Is it a strategy or the result of Jimmy’s and joes? 

I suspect that if the Ducks could cover man to man, especially outside, and the Ducks tacked better in space that there would be less bending to start with. 

I don’t think there’s much choice when your D line isn’t wreaking havoc and it’s risky to play a lot of single coverage. You do your best and get help from the back line inside the Ted zone. 

On 9/30/2022 at 8:19 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Does the talent on the roster dictates bend but don’t break more than wanting to bend in the first place? Is it a strategy or the result of Jimmy’s and joes? 

I suspect that if the Ducks could cover man to man, especially outside, and the Ducks tacked better in space that there would be less bending to start with. 

I don’t think there’s much choice when your D line isn’t wreaking havoc and it’s risky to play a lot of single coverage. You do your best and get help from the back line inside the Ted zone. 

I think it's strategy - our offense is as explosive as we have seen since the Chip Kelly Era. 

The Ducks DL & LB's are stuffing the run, making teams one dimensional by having to pass to move the ball.

Lanning is base Cover-2 with the two deep safeties and giving up the underneath routes -- making the passing game one dimensional.

Lanning is getting pressure rushing four and if the QB holds the ball waiting for the deep route to develop we are getting coverage sacks

Lanning is dictating how teams attack his offense and he isn't giving up two or three long one play touchdowns in a game.

To beat Oregon Lanning is making teams outscore his offense while executing a bunch of long scoring drives. 

The Pac-12 some good QBs we play that air it out. We aren't letting them over the top. It only takes one penalty or sack to kill a drive or force a field goal. Executing long drive after drive is tough.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 8:31 AM, DazeNconfused said:

We aren't letting them over the top. It only takes one penalty or sack to kill a drive or force a field goal. Executing long drive after drive is tough.

The essence of the strategy is above.

It is not always what we want, but what works for the entire team.  Another component that many forget is how those long drives shorten the game, and the give the opponent even less game-time to come back.  Then if Oregon answers the score, it is demoralizing for the opponent, considering how hard it is for them to score.

You cannot give up chunks like that on defense, even if it burns clock, unless you have an offense that is efficient in scoring.  (That is what Dilly said often in pre-season interviews....that he wanted the offense to be efficient.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/30/2022 at 7:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I'd like to think we will see more over time, but like DZC...I think the Bend-But-Don't-Break concept is the fundamental strategy of defense this year.

That was a terrific article and I thought the analysis was spot on.  I agree with your assessment and I would add that the coaching staff knows the Oregon players very very well so there's a reason this defense is showing itself.  

I would add to the discussion that part of the rationale for the B2B defense is the strength of Oregon's interior linebackers.  Oregon is STOUT against the run because our linebackers are the run safeties.  I think we will see this against Utah who will play a grinding offense scheme.  Fresh defenders and a stout run defense will be the difference maker this year.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I would add to the discussion that part of the rationale for the B2B defense is the strength of Oregon's interior linebackers.  Oregon is STOUT against the run because our linebackers are the run safeties.  I think we will see this against Utah who will play a grinding offense scheme.  Fresh defenders and a stout run defense will be the difference maker this year.

This is great stuff above, and I love the final sentence.  I have been stunned at the substitution patterns this year on defense, but I don't want to hijack the thread, as it is a great topic for another time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

2019 saw the Avalos defense, one of the best defenses in Oregon's history, also employ a bend-but-don't-break mentality and it worked. The Cristobal no-score offense with Herbert at the helm put up just enough points to win a game as the defense was able to stop opposing teams from scoring. This method won a Rose Bowl for Cristobal. 

Bend but don't break works... but in truth it isn't that flashy and is rather annoying for fans as we really want to see our defense crush the opposition and get the ball back. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

You may be right Van, and I really appreciate the talent evaluations by this staff. They make assessments, put a plan in place and then tweak and adjust it while continually improving players and the results.

This staff acts quickly to solve issues by taking responsibility and implementing changes, not casting blame. or waiting hoping things will change.

The Ducks are improving:

- personnel

- skills

- implementation

- schemes

- in-game coaching

Look out. Here come the new and improved Oregon Ducks.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, David Marsh said:

Bend but don't break works... but in truth it isn't that flashy and is rather annoying for fans as we really want to see our defense crush the opposition and get the ball back. 

It's not just that fans are annoyed with BDB (bend, don't break) Defenses, it's that it allows the opponent to dominate the time of possession while at the same time reducing its own number of offensive opportunities in return.  That forces the Offense to score faster and more often (percentage-wise) which is something Chip Kelly was confident his offense could do.

It puts a lot of pressure on the Duck Defense, because they are on the field longer and are more exposed to injuries and/or penalties.  And it puts more pressure on the Duck Offense to score quickly every time they get the ball.  

Lanning's team has shown (in the BYU game for instance) that O can manage long, time-consuming drives when that's what's needed AND score quickly when that's what's needed, as in the WSU game.  

On 9/30/2022 at 9:46 AM, David Marsh said:

Agreed. What I really want to see in the defense is that when it's 3rd and more than 4, the offense is getting the ball back. I don't know anything more debilitating, to the team and the fans, than when a 3rd and long is converted. The '85 Bears probably isn't going to materialize. But I loved it when I heard Lupoi use attack and havoc to describe the defense he would be coaching. 

My thoughts have been articulated better by previous posters so I won't dilute the soup by rehashing.

I did feel the need to add my voice to chorus of gratitude for the articles (current and previous) linked here and the subsequent discussion.

Top shelf stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I before neglected to congratulate you for the great article, and applaud Charles for his encouragement, assists. and historical supplements to your story writing.

Well done Duck Brothers.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, Mic said:

It's not just that fans are annoyed with BDB (bend, don't break) Defenses, it's that it allows the opponent to dominate the time of possession while at the same time reducing its own number of offensive opportunities in return.  That forces the Offense to score faster and more often (percentage-wise) which is something Chip Kelly was confident his offense could do.

It puts a lot of pressure on the Duck Defense, because they are on the field longer and are more exposed to injuries and/or penalties.  And it puts more pressure on the Duck Offense to score quickly every time they get the ball.  

Lanning's team has shown (in the BYU game for instance) that O can manage long, time-consuming drives when that's what's needed AND score quickly when that's what's needed, as in the WSU game.  

Please keep in mind that I am not an advocate of it.  As I wrote in my article--I want an attacking defense that creates turnovers and sacks, but that is not what the coaches are doing presently.

So I am simply explaining and presenting what our coaches are doing.  I defend how it works and how it is logical, but it is not my preference either.  I do admire the defensive staff's adjustments, but wish we could do more.

Again...we had six man blitzes at times against Eastern Washington...and got nothing.  We simply may not have the skills refined yet to carry out the Georgia MINT defense, IMHO.

Pressure from four_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/30/2022 at 6:35 AM, Smith72 said:

I wish that Coach Nick had been the head coach instead of Helfrich.  We could've kept the explosive offense and never experienced the defensive disasters when he left.

It would have been a move away from our obsession with offense, and promoting OC's and given Alliotti the respect he deserved. Maybe too many in power positions we like me back then, lacking an appreciation for Nic brought to the program.

Another interesting thought is he might have been ready to retire about now. Maybe we would have brought in Lanning, and we would be with the same coach, but completely different history.

Nick deserved the shot at head coach, and the student athletes loved him and respected him. He had all the connections with recruiting and coaching to have made it work.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

Nick deserved the shot at head coach, and the student athletes loved him and respected him. He had all the connections with recruiting and coaching to have made it work.

Now this is interesting.  I hadn't thought much about this since Coach Alliotti retired but now that you mention it, yeah, he should have been considered for the head job.  Maybe he didn't want it?  Maybe it was discussed but over-ruled?  Maybe it was never considered an option by either Nick or the University.  Dunno.

But it doesn't do much good now to look back.  

I think O is in a good place right now - for as long as they can keep this current staff intact.  Given today's reality in the CFB world, that doesn't seem like a very long time anymore.  Gone almost forever (it seems) are the days of coaches like UTAH's current H.C.  He's becoming a fast-disappearing commodity in this sport.  The CFB is beginning to resemble its Professional counterpart more and more each year.

Edited by Mic

Great analysis on this. I'm in league with Charles on not loving the BDB defense, but understanding why Lanning may be running it now with the Cover 2 approach. It is impressive that run defense is as good as it has been. The outside DL and LBs have been setting the edge well, so plays are getting turned inside to the strength of the D.

Not as much so far with the pass game, compounded by inconsistent tackling in space. But with a few exceptions, Cover 2 has kept the deep ball controlled. If setting the edge continues to get better keeping mobile opposing QBs in the pocket and limiting the read down dump off pass to the flat, things will improve. Add consistent tackling and the BDB will do less bending and more stopping.

The Stanford game will be a good barometer on the progress made. McKee isn't as elusive as the QBs faced from BYU and Wazzu thus far, but he will test the D at all three levels: deep, intermediate and in the short sideline game.

Great articles over the last couple days!  Thanks to DnC and Mr. FD for your outstanding analysis. It will only increase my viewing pleasure going forward.

That said, my hope is the DL/Dilly Offense continues its trajectory, and eclipses all records set by the CK/MH Offenses.  I also want to see the DL/JT Defense grow beyond BDB to a Stone Wall front with a Lock Down secondary that creates Havoc with opposing offenses while shutting them down completely.

We may be a year or two out, but this staff and their recruits have the potential to produce the best Duck teams we have ever seen.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Were PittDuck to get what he (we) all want, my gosh!  Oregon would be doing to good teams what Georgia did to us. Score 50+ points and give up <3!  I could 'live' with that!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, 30Duck said:

What I really want to see in the defense is that when it's 3rd and more than 4, the offense is getting the ball back.

That's a great point and will be important down the stretch against Washington, Utah and possibly USC with decent offenses in the PAC that will hang with Oregon's offense.  With Oregon sitting at 54% on 3rd downs we are obviously not consistently getting stops but a more nuanced look at when we are getting stops is warranted.

Dazed had a great article discussing the Cover-2 and stopping big plays and obviously in the Red-Zone with compressed spacing the defense is in better position but the edge play will likely continue to be the attack point for Oregon opponents.  Those crossing/hook short gain routes are reliably converting 3rd downs and that feels frustrating.

Perhaps we will see more of the defense install as the season goes on?  I'm assuming the coaches have/or are teaching some sort of answer to this other than to rely on athletic prowess on the edge to get off blocks and make open field tackles.   

I remember a rather tongue-in-cheek discussion I was having once with a very die-hard U-of-O alumni and Duck fan:

"I'll be satisfied with the Defense when they score more points than the opponent - every game!"  So there's that high standard bar to shoot for, I guess.

We could relay this to Dan Lanning I suppose but that might be expecting a bit much.

• Mic drop 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mic said:

I remember a rather tongue-in-cheek discussion I was having once with a very die-hard U-of-O alumni and Duck fan:

"I'll be satisfied with the Defense when they score more points than the opponent - every game!"  So there's that high standard bar to shoot for, I guess.

We could relay this to Dan Lanning I suppose but that might be expecting a bit much.

I would settle for a D that gave the offense the ball on the opponent side of the 50 in 50% of possessions defended.

A defense that holds opponents to an average of 21 points per game like the 2001 squad, AND we have a 40 point per game average offensive scoring?  Can you say....

giphy.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, Log Haulin said:

I would settle for a D that gave the offense the ball on the opponent side of the 50 in 50% of possessions defended.

Well, that's a much more reasonable (and realistic) approach to the equation I grant.  But wouldn't you luv to see a D that scores more in safeties,  pick-6's and fumbles-returned-for-TD's that the opponent can muster on Offense!  Imagine the fear they'd instill in their opponents.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A defense that holds opponents to an average of 21 points per game like the 2001 squad, AND we have a 40 point per game average offensive scoring?  Can you say....

giphy.gif

Considering this scenario seriously (a little alliteration here) I think this would be an excellent goal to shoot for and one that Lanning might just have in mind.  But I'd tweak it just a tad to say 14 points given up (on average) and 42 points scored.

Btw, isn't this about what Georgia's doing right now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the cover 2, bend- don't break defense the best bet to slow down the high octane spread offenses of today?

I know we've given up too many passing yards (we're 125 out of 131 fbs schools)  but besides a few amazing catches, we haven't given up the explosion play much.

I think our db's need to react/anticipate a little faster and get better leverage on tackles, and we'd improve a bunch.

Thanks for ther terrific recent analysis articles. Reminds me of the early days of Fishduck and how quickly my football knowledge grew.

This is fun to watch and learn all the new stuff from our great coaching staff.

Charles, we need an article on what the O-line is doing differently from the former regime. He was always claiming how tough they were, but all our stats are vastly improved vs any of the previous 4 years.

Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 3:13 PM, DanLduck said:

Is the cover 2, bend- don't break defense the best bet to slow down the high octane spread offenses of today?

I think we are going to get some answers on how to defend these passing offenses in the Pac-12. UW and UCLA tonight.

Then WAZZU and USC next week. Can USC handle that aggressive WAZZU defense and protect the QB?

Let's watch what style works. We should learn quite a bit the next two weeks.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’d love an article about our personnel and what personnel limitations are pushing Lanning in this direction. Preseason thought was that we had the players for a more aggressive defensive. That appears optimistic. 

Cristobal no-score offense,” “plod ball,” “prevent offense," etc. we need a poll on the readers’ favorite term for the Cristobal offense. 😋😎

On 9/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Cristobal no-score offense,” “plod ball,” “prevent offense," etc. we need a poll on the readers’ favorite term for the Cristobal offense. 😋😎

To me, the "Prevent Offense" coined by 30Duck is still my all time favorite.  Although Steven A's, "Mari...because he doesn't know what to do with the 'O' is pretty funny!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Miami AD Dan Radocavich in his suit at middle Tennessee  game. 

medium.jpg.f11d0fbf9991da25ca87642004a6dfcd.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

those long drives shorten the game, and the give the opponent even less game-time to come back

This is a bit of a double edged sword if Oregon's offense is struggling.  I think the missing component is the Cover-1 scheme adjustment that increases the risk of an explosive play a small amount but gives a higher probability of returning the ball to Oregon's offense with significant game time left.

That's the adaptive situational defense I would expect.  Maybe we would have seen it if Oregon's offense wasn't doing as well as it did against WSU.  I mean the game was always relatively close...

On 9/30/2022 at 6:19 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

This is a bit of a double edged sword if Oregon's offense is struggling.  I think the missing component is the Cover-1 scheme adjustment that increases the risk of an explosive play a small amount but gives a higher probability of returning the ball to Oregon's offense with significant game time left.

That's the adaptive situational defense I would expect.  Maybe we would have seen it if Oregon's offense wasn't doing as well as it did against WSU.  I mean the game was always relatively close...

Laning has rushed up to six this year - we just haven't had much sucess with it.

We will see as the season goes on how it shakes out and if we have games that Lanning plays more aggressive in the Cover-1 some games to rush an extra man or to take away the underneath passing game.

Right now, it seems over 90% of the time we are playing Cover-2. Lanning has had us run some Dime packages for a sixth DB so it appears Lanning is going more to numbers in the passing game than the blitz game.

Lanning is moving people around in the base 4-2-5 with the Cover-2. On pass downs I've seen Sewell as the stand-up rush edge and Flowe-Bassa as the inside linebackers. I've also seen Bassa and Brown as the inside linebackers on passing downs. 

I've seen him run a 4-1-6 Dime with Flowe as the stand-up edge and Bassa as the only inside linebacker. He has also run a Dime with Bassa as the sixth DB. 

Lanning has showed he will move Sewell out of the inside backer spot and bring in speed on some passing downs, that shows the premium Lanning puts on speed on pass downs.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1