Steven A

WOW, What if the Pac 12 Went All-in with Amazon

Great piece by Jon Wilner in his hotline, probably a pay site.

He talks about partnerships in Media rights (which Amazon could re-sell pieces to espn, fox, etc); travel; merchandising; ticket brokering; food service; on and on.

Good read.

• Thumbs Up 2

He makes a good point that ESPN, Fox, CBS, etc. are media companies, while Amazon is into everything and thus could provide a ton more services and create merchandising bonds yet unseen to most.  Going all-in has great risks in many directions, but it could also be a gargantuan contract as well.

Wilner has talked to many industry insiders for his information, and going "all-in" with Amazon is the option he suggests.  it could certainly save the Pac-12 and retain everyone if the numbers are high enough, and it could even entice other schools who would want a piece of it.  Good matchup with the Aztecs for example...

Wilner did say that Amazon could buy the media rights to the games, and then sell games/slots/dates to the usual broadcasters to have games available for television.

If the numbers are high enough to save the Pac-12, then it could become a serious option.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

I am so lost as to what is happening in college football right now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, debbieduck said:

Well in fairness half of what is going on these days has next to nothing to do with football and everything to do with business and media rights distribution. So we all get to get to learn about things most of us have never had to think about before.... ever. 

Oh how we love to learn about ... Media Rights... wait that doesn't sound right...

Edited by David Marsh
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1

Partnering with Amazon, reselling pieces to media companies could prove a great move for the Pac-12.  They really need to go after the right schools in realignment to help be a viable competitive conference.

Also, having the monetary incentives for schools in the contract will help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree. I quit trying to keep up. Seems like it's flip flopping back n forth which makes me dizzy. I guess I'm getting old and have realized that I may as well just sit back and not get worked up, excited or PO'd cause a week latter it's changed for the better or worse. 

On 9/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Agree. I quit trying to keep up. Seems like it's flip flopping back n forth which makes me dizzy. I guess I'm getting old and have realized that I may as well just sit back and not get worked up, excited or PO'd cause a week latter it's changed for the better or worse. 

Me too.  

Besides, soon Amazon will own THE WORLD, and everything will be moot.  Let's hope Jeff Bezos likes college football enough to let us keep it. 

(Charles, I'm speaking facetiously, of course).

That is a big club that most of us are in.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, Steven A said:

That is a big club that most of us are in.

My hubby hopes we stay in PAC-12 or whatever it ends up being.  With 8 teams in playoffs, he thinks Oregon will be in them more often than not.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, debbieduck said:

With 8 teams in playoffs

Opps, 12 even a better chance.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, debbieduck said:

My hubby hopes we stay in PAC-12 or whatever it ends up being.  With 8 teams in playoffs, he thinks Oregon will be in them more often than not.  

On this one, your hubby and my wife's hubby are two peas in a pod.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh how we love our Beloved Media Rights!

Rolls off the tongue doesn’t it? 😋

• Oh no! 1

Well, I don't have a smart TV, so I'm hoping Duck games will still be on the stations that I can already view without one. Yes, I am technologically challenged.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, Annie said:

Well, I don't have a smart TV, so I'm hoping Duck games will still be on the stations that I can already view without one. Yes, I am technologically challenged.

I’m sure a OBD member would be glad to help. P.S. you don’t need a smart tv. 

• Thumbs Up 1

WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

Amazon can provide way, way more than a streaming home for games.

Here is the link. These articles often show up on free sites. Personally, I think it is worth considering as long as the negatives are considered (increased regulation of the Amazon monopoly/oligopoly is one such risk). 

This was an article I had posted on the FishDuck Feed earlier in the month.  

While it is believed that it's an inevitability that Amazon will expand its sports broadcasting eventually,

some are still questioning the viability of major games that are only available through a streaming service.

"Streaming is going to continue to grow," one industry source told Dodd,

"but there is a reason why the NFL is still [largely] on network television."

After reading this article, I worry about the PAC-12 putting all it's eggs in a new venture basket from a business standpoint. It feels like

the conference would lose some control if Amazon would make the decision to sell some games to the networks. Are we willing

to have Amazon be the middle man?

And why hasn't the NFL gone more heavily into streaming?  Will streaming grow the conference

the way we need to keep it viable? As you can see, I still have many reservations about a move like this.

I didn't watch the NFL game streamed on Amazon, but I read mixed reviews on the quality of the stream, good and bad.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

According to Dee <i>This article will be updated soon to provide more information and analysis.</i> <i>For more from Bleacher Report on this topic and from...

If Amazon is such a great idea for the Pac 12, why haven’t other conferences explored or jumped on board with this? Also, if it turns out to be the Pac 12’s savior, it will only last a few years before all of the other conferences jump on board and then the Pac will be back where we are now…..average. For instance, I remember in Larry Scott’s early years he had a ground breaking media rights deal. Then the other major conferences followed suit, with better deals, and are currently in a way better position than the Pac.

On 9/30/2022 at 8:42 PM, MDuck said:

If Amazon is such a great idea for the Pac 12, why haven’t other conferences explored or jumped on board with this?

My devilish side wants me to say because Bezos and Knight are gazillionaire buddies.  

My logical side says the other conferences have their own plush TV deals already worked out and Amazon is trying to buy into the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just thankful that they still play a football game somewhere in there.

• Thumbs Up 1