cartm25

1/3 Regular Season Update: Dillingham / Lanning Offense Compared to Prior Years

Now that we're about 1/3 of the way through the season, thought I'd post an update of how the Lanning/Dillingham offense is doing compared to other coaches/years.

For now, the offense seems middle of the road (caveat, the GA game is weighing heavily on these stats) with the exception of the passing game. Ducks are producing in the passing game the likes we've not seen since Helfrich/Mariota teamed up in 2013/2014.

image.thumb.png.62cb77c8f765c86e119a30979eb9b70b.png

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I vote we throw the Georgia debacle out!  That way we can feel even better about how this team stacks up against "normal" collegiate teams and not quasi-pro teams.  😄

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, cartm25 said:

Not sure how much the OBD likes it. I’m a data nerd, so I love this stuff.

Here's another 'fun' fact Data Nerd, that I was perusing just now:  Autzen Stadium (54,000) ranks 83rd (if I counted correctly) out of 154 FBS schools in capacity.  Just above Penn Field where the Penn Quakers play.

Reser Stadium (currently undergoing renovations) ranks dead last (26,407). 

No wonder we see 8:00 pm starts for some of our games. 🥴  The Beavers are lucky they get on TV at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

And the talk of adding SMU for the Dallas market?  Their stadium is only 32,000...geez.

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, cartm25 said:

Ha, I’ve considered it. I’ve made footnotes (did not show in this version) showing altered metrics for years where a key player was injured (ie, Herbert and Dixon), but I generally don’t alter the raw, complete data due to thorough butt-kickings from superior teams.

I can alter the data to show only performance against P12 competition.

I’m hesitant to show a bunch of different versions of this. Not sure how much the OBD likes it. I’m a data nerd, so I love this stuff.

But I also realize it’s not the easiest thing to view on a phone. On a Desktop computer it’s wonderful viewing.

I'd personally love to see stats with the Georgia game omitted if you're up for it. That game was an absolute outlier-- essentially playing an away game against what again looks to be the best college team in the country, with a newly installed coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, and new players...... and therefore a steep learning curve. I think such adjusted stats would give us a better picture of how we stack up against teams who aren't immortal.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:11 PM, cartm25 said:

I’m hesitant to show a bunch of different versions of this. Not sure how much the OBD likes it. I’m a data nerd, so I love this stuff

I love this stuff. Given the growth of our team a rolling average would be great. 😋

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree. Georgia's human after all. 

Averaging 40 ppg after only scoring 3 in the first game, makes this stat even more amazing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 4:33 PM, cartm25 said:

Now that we're about 1/3 of the way through the season, thought I'd post an update of how the Lanning/Dillingham offense is doing compared to other coaches/years.

For now, the offense seems middle of the road (caveat, the GA game is weighing heavily on these stats) with the exception of the passing game. Ducks are producing in the passing game the likes we've not seen since Helfrich/Mariota teamed up in 2013/2014.

image.thumb.png.62cb77c8f765c86e119a30979eb9b70b.png

And, it will get better, possibly this year, but the next two years. These Ducks are very young, and KD's system still new to them.