FishDuck Article

Stanford Duck Syndrome–It’s Worse Than You Think

What do you call players and fans of the football team at Leland Stanford Junior University? Cardinals? No, do not do that, or you’ll make Stanford people very angry on social media. “We’re not Cardinals!” they will tweet in your face, maybe even going into lunatic all-caps mode: “WE ARE THE CARDINAL!” Whatever. Personally, I don’t think that anyone in ...

FISHDUCK.COM

What do you call players and fans of the football team at Leland Stanford Junior University? Cardinals? No, do not do that, or you'll make...
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thank you Alan for another great article!  As always you keep us in stitches laughing 🤣 with your satirical write ups of the opposing team.  If I was able to put a sign on your office door, it would say 'Do Not Disturb, Genius At Work.'

Again, thanks for the fun read!  Go Ducks, beat the Stanford Tree?  Or Cardinal?  Hmm whatever they are called, Go Ducks!

• Salute 1

Thank you Alan, the "Stanford Duck Syndrome" is a classic!  I'm glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I started reading. 

You nailed it, Alan. Oregon has, 'The Pick', Stanford has their band running onto the field in the middle of play. It does encapsulate their place in sports perfectly though. 

"and we'll have fun, fun, fun until Daddy takes the" Cardinal away.

Go Ducks! Thanks Alan.

The reason the students started calling themselves the robber barons, and the faculty shut it down is because of their history. One of the most notorious robber barons was Leland Stanford. The Stanford history isn't all beautiful redwood trees and pretty red colors.

As far as students worrying about their grade and flunking chemistry, it doesn't happen. There is no 'F' at Stanford, fact. The average grade point at 'The Color' is 3.55, up from 2.48 in 1917.

Back then the endowment was much lower, you figure it out. Ok I will help, the $56k tuition is just the beginning of the commitment for most of the families of those wanting to have their child become a little tree.

I do want the team to show up because they need to see vengence up close and personal. All 60 of their fans can show up too, because they need to see how football should be played.

Now if any of those refs from last year show their faces, we should run them up into the National Forest, and all the way up to the Cedar Creek Fire, where they can, well you get the idea.

Ok, now where is my coffee, I'm feeling a little grumpy!

• Applause 1

"And yes, even an incoming freshman in the first week of the first quarter is expected to be working on a startup."

Either that, or they need to go "Holmes".

I'd like to ask the ODB Crew that read these comments to at least give Alan a "like" at the top of the thread if you decide not to comment. 

We are lucky to have him doing this Saturday Spoof for us and we should him how much we support him

"That was terrific" Alan, I appreciate the mood you bring to game days with your articles. It helps my game day devilish horns come out. 

Go Ducks!

BTW - loved the line "those perennially deaf, dumb, and blind Pac-12 referees"

Lmao - we saw them going true to form in last night's game

I just loved this line from the above article.  Heck, I loved them all:

"Drubbing those pompous know-it-alls by six touchdowns is a good beginning, but after the game, I’m all in favor of chasing the whole Stanford entourage out of Autzen Stadium and into the Willamette National Forest."

😆 😆 😅 🥲 😝 😎 😠

"Stanford, and this can be confirmed by any Cal fan, is an aggregate of nothing but fetid air blowing through the scraggly needles of a decaying redwood tree."

Here is a little story from my Cal-Berkeley days. 

Just before the Cal-Stanford game, several of my Cal acquaintances bought 100 mice.  They painted the mice with blue and gold paint.  (Please say a prayer for the miscreants and forgive them, not for their great humor but for their lack of best form.)  The boys took these pesky rodents and released them at the Ferd's Taj...er, Student Center.  They left a huge note saying something like, "Hey Cardinal Farmers, Cal gives you the 'bird', too.  Good luck finding all 200 mice!"  These Cal dudes the proceeded to pull every fire alarm in the building.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with these juvenile antics...mostly because I'm 77.  But at the time, I appropriately laughed my a$$ off.

Another GREAT (pardon the caps, Alan) article from Sir Alan.

Post Script

I later met a Stanford grad, the founder and owner of Coleman Industries (Coleman lanterns, etc.) at a restaurant bar in San "Don't call it Frisco" Francisco.  (San Francisco, AKA "The City!"  Uh huh.    Anyway, Mr. Coleman was quite a nice fellow and he admitted that no one is allowed to fail at Stanford.  They basically pay for their degree.  (USC anyone?) 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, Mudslide said:

Post Script

I later met a Stanford grad, the founder and owner of Coleman Industries (Coleman lanterns, etc.) at a restaurant bar in San "Don't call it Frisco" Francisco.  (San Francisco, AKA "The City!"  Uh huh.    Anyway, Mr. Coleman was quite a nice fellow and he admitted that no one is allowed to fail at Stanford.  They basically pay for their degree.  (USC anyone?) 

The only difference is at USC, if you pay enough, you can get in as a varsity athlete.

• Haha 1

Alan, your wit is evidenced by the flash flooding tears of joy you bring with these articles!

On 10/1/2022 at 4:58 AM, NJDuck said:

f I was able to put a sign on your office door, it would say 'Do Not Disturb, Genius At Work.'

Agreed, as writing humor is hard, but boy Alan makes it fun for us!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/1/2022 at 4:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed, as writing humor is hard, but boy Alan makes it fun for us!

Yes and I hope more fans here will take the time to read the article.  It's a hoot!  

On 10/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I'd like to ask the ODB Crew that read these comments to at least give Alan a "like" at the top of the thread if you decide not to comment. 

We are lucky to have him doing this Saturday Spoof for us and we should him how much we support him

"That was terrific" Alan, I appreciate the mood you bring to game days with your articles. It helps my game day devilish horns come out. 

Go Ducks!

Amen.  He puts a ton of time into researching these schools, and then creating humor?  Whew!  Glad he's on our side!

Mr. FishDuck