FishDuck Article

Prioritizing Recruiting Will Get Oregon to the CFP

Oregon fans love Mario Cristobal the recruiter, but the jury’s still out on Mario Cristobal the head coach. On the recruiting trail, the Ducks head coach is second to none. He just secured Oregon’s best-ever class, and the Ducks have now pulled in the top class in the Pac-12 three years in a row. When it comes to coaching those ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Nice article Joshua, thanks for bringing it to us. 

I think you are right in all accounts and patience will pay off for us Duck fans. We do have to watch USC along the way as their talent level is extremely close to ours and if we stumble with the X's and O's we could drop another year, or two of progression to top. 

As much as we need USC to be relevant national we can't lose track of them on the field. IMO I think we are doing that but this season will tell us a whole lot more about our so-so offense. 

With all the talent that Mario is recruiting he will literally have to prevent the offense from scoring, not just prefer ball control, David Shaw didn't mind when Stanford got in the 40's. Oregon hasn't had the WR's, and RB's that Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson have, but the Ducks are getting there.

It seems like Mario wants to wait until the WR's and RB's are there before he lets the offense GO. Until then the Ducks will go like they have, still leading the conference in scoring, while looking like they don't want to sometimes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks are more talent laden than anytime in UO football history. Credit goes to Mario's leadership and the hard work and system of the staff. Kudos to them all.

Now for getting the best players on the field, using them in the ways that complement their skills, and getting the team to work together attacking the competition. Kicking was an issue, but seems to be coming around. Special teams have come up woefully short and needs to be fixed.

The way I see it, we have the strongest most experienced OC and DC that the Ducks have had under Cristobal. The coaches need time working together, with the team and in game situations to become their best. Coach Cristobal now has time in the PAC and at Oregon under his belt. It's time for the coaching to have a breakout season and elevate to higher IQ and execution.

Go Ducks in 2021!

2 hours ago, 30Duck said:

With all the talent that Mario is recruiting he will literally have to prevent the offense from scoring,

When he made the decision to dump what worked for nine years averaging 43 points a game...."preventing" is precisely what Cristobal did.

I am resigned to waiting for enough years and lost games before he learns....

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

12 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

When he made the decision to dump what worked for nine years averaging 43 points a game...."preventing" is precisely what Cristobal did.

OK Mr. FishDuck your cup is half empty today. I say if we can find a QB that can take charge, the next three years will be amazing.

19 minutes ago, Santa Rosa Duck said:

OK Mr. FishDuck your cup is half empty today.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

A coach that doesn’t recruit well, but has a good offensive scheme, is still doomed. Helfrich, arguably one of our best OC’s, proved that. I think it is safe to say that an offensive scheme by itself doesn’t score the points. We still need capable players to execute. Remember our melt down at the Alamo Bowl? 

I do agree that a predictable offense can be easier to stop, and we certainly have seen that happen. However, recruiting has helped to get us back into the CFP conversation. I think when Moorehead gets a capable QB, and RB duo, that his offense will score points. Combine that with a potentially strong DeRuyter defense and you start something cooking. 

Go Ducks

• Thumbs Up 2

I tend to look at Charles this way, and that is why Fishduck is such a great place, call them like you see them.Unknown.jpeg.cd041b33fce8fded027641bde2b0b523.jpeg

Amen Haywarduck, as everyone knows what a passionate fan I am, especially of football.  But I call it the way I see it, and the beauty here is being able to...and yet people still have to be nice.  (by our rules)  What I wrote would have brought about quite a wretched wrath against me on other sites...

Eeyore.jpg

Or maybe I'm just feeling.....MONDAY.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

10 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Amen Haywarduck, as everyone knows what a passionate fan I am, especially of football.  But I call it the way I see it, and the beauty here is being able to...and yet people still have to be nice.  (by our rules)  What I wrote would have brought about quite a wretched wrath against me on other sites...

Eeyore.jpg

Or maybe I'm just feeling.....MONDAY.

“I always get to where I am going by walking away from where I have been.”   Winnie the Pooh

I think one point of notice is how much development each of Cristobal's four classes has gotten. First his first full class was a salvage class. His second class has been great overall, They've had a number of players including Hill and James overperform on the defensive side. His third class came right before the pandemic, add in a new OC and clearly the timeline and development was malignant. and now class four.

A lot of what cristobal has accomplished has been because of Helfrich and Taggart recruits. I'm excited to see if he can institute a winning team with the players he has and an actual development timeline. This year, he should have 3 full classes(Not including a salvage 2018 class) with a full offseason, a full spring football and a weight training Oregon needs to be cooking this year. Oregon's talent in the last three classes is 44(Blue chip) - 27(3 stars) a blue chip ratio of ~62% 

I will also add most here feel secure enough to share opinions and admit when they have been wrong. This is the beauty of opinions, they are opinions, not facts, they don't define you, it is just social discourse.

I think the problem on other sites, situations, is opinions define a person and they get backed into a corner. Here you can express an opinion, adjust an opinion, or like me, sometimes, express an opinion to light up another way of looking at things.

7 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

I think one point of notice is how much development each of Cristobal's four classes has gotten. First his first full class was a salvage class. His second class has been great overall, They've had a number of players including Hill and James overperform on the defensive side. His third class came right before the pandemic, add in a new OC and clearly the timeline and development was malignant. and now class four.

A lot of what cristobal has accomplished has been because of Helfrich and Taggart recruits. I'm excited to see if he can institute a winning team with the players he has and an actual development timeline. This year, he should have 3 full classes(Not including a salvage 2018 class) with a full offseason, a full spring football and a weight training Oregon needs to be cooking this year. Oregon's talent in the last three classes is 44(Blue chip) - 27(3 stars) a blue chip ratio of ~62% 

Yep, it's time to see whats in the glass, "kool-aid" or "wine". 

8 hours ago, Drake said:

A coach that doesn’t recruit well, but has a good offensive scheme, is still doomed.

I think this about sums up my thoughts. It's possible to have success in the short term with less-than-elite talent, but as far as program sustainability goes, it's near impossible to do so without recruiting at a high level consistently. 

The ideal scenario is to have a great scheme and recruit at a high level, but we do have to remember that schemes need to continue to adapt to survive. Kelly's spread option attack wouldn't be nearly as productive now as it was when he first unleashed it (which is why he has overhauled his offensive strategy entirely now with the Bruins), and the teams that once added elements of it to their offenses have largely moved away from it to keep up with the newest trends and strategies (like the advanced, multi-level RPOs).

A program can't rely on a system for sustained success. Talent acquisition gives a team the ability to survive multiple scheme changes and maintain high-quality play.

11 minutes ago, Joshua Whitted said:

A program can't rely on a system for sustained success

See: WSU coached by Leach.

One other thing to remind fans about is that 2021 is Mario's 3rd recruiting class (I don't count the class he had to salvage from Taggart's desertion, he literally only had 2 weeks to work with that).  3 recruiting classes means that the 1st class is only now becoming juniors or redshirt sophomores, so all his recruits so far consist of primarily underclassmen.  Food for thought.

I felt it was a great season under the circumstances. Covid,  new QB and line, loss of numorus players that were key on offense and defense.

The 3 loses we had were away games. Exactly what young teams struggle with especially with no spring or fall camps. 

Also could Shough have gotten hurt so he didn't run as well after WSU Then he lost his confidence. Just wondering?

Agree Joshua that yes Oregon recruits like no other and now its us the Ducks. Its not that we lack great coach's who can teach, as the main problem to me has been Coach C. He needs to just stick with what he does best and thats keep recruiting these great Behemoths in the trench's and equally train them to be the best. The one thing this coach needs to learn is let the OC you hire do his freaking job.

We know Moorehead knows what he's doing and I think it showed a little to much that Mario was involved to much. He hired this guy to get Oregon's offense back to their high scoring days and when Mario gets involved it just looks the same every time. He will either let go of some of the reign's or this will soon fade away. Thanks Josh as usual good stuff.