DanLduck

Big Money Solves All Woes, Or Does It?

I'm looking at scores, and watching games, and I'm wondering if too much money, too soon, perhaps unearned, is not the answer to making teams better.

MSU paid coach Tucker big$$ after one season...they look bad.

Texas A & M shelled out major dollars for coach and players...and look very ordinary.

USC compared to Utah, if you compare how both did against our little bro'...looks to be the much weaker team.

These are only a few examples of not getting the "bang for your buck" most expected with all the huge paydays for coaches and players.

Is it possible the acquisition of $$$ takes the "edge" off a player? Or a coach with a long-term contract is not feeling as much pressure to win?

I am curious how my OBD brothers & sisters feel about this.

It doesn't seem that the big money is being wisely spent. Or is the transfer portal leveling out the playing field more than most thought it would?

While we wait for our Ducks to show Stanford who is boss, I'd love to read your thoughts.

Thanks, and GOOOOOOOO Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

Coaching salaries and NIL deals are both getting to the obscene level.  Jimbo Fisher is now paid $9 million annually for his 3-2 record.  Is TAMU getting value for their $50,000 promise to each of their OL?  Mel Tucker and Mario combine at a 4-5 record and roughly $175 million total from their contracts.  Money like that will be the demise of college sports.  Way to great an incentive to lie and cheat.

Remember the "good old days" when we promoted Mike Bellotti to head coach at $180 thousand a year?  It didn't cost thousands of dollars to have season tickets and a family could actually attend a game.

• Thumbs Up 2