Pennsylvania Duck

Bad Officiating Again

There were quite a few questionable calls last night, but these 2 really stand out to me.

Seven McGee's ejection was pretty lame. He pushed a couple of guys and didn't seem to be any worse than others in that mob.

That horse collar penalty on the Stanford TD was non existent. What were they looking at?

What did you see? Did I miss something?

From the FishDuck Feed...

Horse Collar?

This many “blown” calls, this length of time, by trained professionals cannot be looked at  as being accidental.  

$$$.  There is your explanation. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's not only the blatant horrible calls like the horse collar and fighting, its the timing of a lot of these calls.

The "illegal man down field" call erased a touchdown. It was another phantom call. There was another call that took away a Bucky first down in the redzone. Oregon ended up punting I think.

Super frustrating. I even noticed FS1 was reluctant to show replay later in the game, or so it seemed. Wouldn't want to expose the ref's any further.

There were at least 2 TD's  where it appears the Ref was pained and reluctant to signal TD. It appears to be anti Duck Bias.

I get it, I am a Duck fan. I see these calls through green and yellow. I could be wrong (but I am not)  in my assessment because of this. 

No matter my biases,  the Pac refs are worthless and they ruin games for fans, players and everyone else involved. Makes me sick 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Seven Magee hit two Stanford players in the head. Everyone else was shoving and pushing. He deserved his penalty. The horse collar was phantom. Lot of dumb mistakes by Oregon. Frustrating to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Seven Magee hit two Stanford players in the head. Everyone else was shoving and pushing. He deserved his penalty. The horse collar was phantom. Lot of dumb mistakes by Oregon. Frustrating to watch. 

Yeah. You can see him smacking guys in the helmet. That’s considered a punch and it always ends in an ejection.

• Thumbs Up 1

I look at a bunch of non-calla by the officials when Stanford not only played through the whistle, which is fine and what is coached, but we'll behind the whistle. 

Seven shouldn't have done what he did but he was driven back long after the whistle was over and then slammed to the ground. Then the Stanford players still thought live ball and that led to Nix torpedoing them... Which was all apart of the side line problem. 

Then towards the end of the gma Stanford figured out that they werent going to get flagged for playing extra rough so they did. 

Then there was that Whittington slam Stanford did where yet again they played through the whistle but after the whistle they kept going and picked Whittington up and threw him in the ground for... No flag? 

The refs really let Stanford beat up the ducks. I had a good laugh when the refs threw a flag at Gonzo for unnecessary roughness when all he did was tackle the Stanford players to the ground through the whistle... Thankfully the refs picked that flag up but it really did feel like they were just trying to punish Oregon. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yeah penalties are a problem.  A serious problem!  Oregon needs to get this under control soon.  Eventually, it's gonna cost them an important game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Penalties + Bad Officiating = Future Loss to Better Teams

On 10/2/2022 at 8:39 AM, David Marsh said:

The refs really let Stanford beat up the ducks. I had a good laugh when the refs threw a flag at Gonzo for unnecessary roughness when all he did was tackle the Stanford players to the ground through the whistle... Thankfully the refs picked that flag up but it really did feel like they were just trying to punish Oregon. 

Same same every year we play those clowns. 

Not mention the mountain of holding calls that are ignored on the Stanfurd Oline. Combined with the mystery ones called on us.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I recall last years game the refs flagged us for some very questionable penalties on Stanford’s game winning drive. 

I hate blaming refs for losing games but last year seemed particularly egregious. 

And again this year? Just coincidence? It’s hard to be objective with these green and yellow glasses on. 

Hey, at least they didn't catch any TD passes out of bounds...

Again 

• Great post! 1

I know my comment and view will be marked as being a typical fan whining about officiating. So be it.

Truth is, the Ducks ground Tree into dust from the start. Absolutely dominated Furd and sent the back to Palo Alto crying about losing all the time.

What should be a celebration of the Ducks destroying Tree has been marred by these garbage refs the Pac-12 keeps putting on the field.

Oregon has a penalty problem, of course I see that. Needs to be addressed. Last week it was the D, this week it was the O. Gotta get it under control.

Doesn't change the fact that the Pac should be embarrassed and ashamed of the officiating they allow out on the field. It's  unacceptable. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, duckcz said:

Yeah, I recall last years game the refs flagged us for some very questionable penalties on Stanford’s game winning drive. 

I hate blaming refs for losing games but last year seemed particularly egregious. 

And again this year? Just coincidence? It’s hard to be objective with these green and yellow glasses on. 

The refs also ignored a whole lot of holding calls against USCs online against Oregon state that had Beaver fans salty. 

It seems to be a trend where California schools are getting ref's protection. 

The lack of holding calls against USC definitely played a major role in USCs win... Granted... 4 interceptions from OSU didn't help. 

• Applause 2

Crap 12 refs strike again, it will never change.  Changing conferences is the only solution, FWIW

The amount of ticky tack penalties called was amazing, causing stalled drives and one TD negated.  Probably at least 14 points were left on the field because of them.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I blame the penalties on the players. This game seemed to me an average officiating job. Most calls accurately made. A couple missed plays including a false start by Stanford. All in all an acceptable job by the refs. 

• Yikes! 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:58 AM, Log Haulin said:

It's not only the blatant horrible calls like the horse collar and fighting, its the timing of a lot of these calls.

The "illegal man down field" call erased a touchdown. It was another phantom call. There was another call that took away a Bucky first down in the redzone. Oregon ended up punting I think.

Super frustrating. I even noticed FS1 was reluctant to show replay later in the game, or so it seemed. Wouldn't want to expose the ref's any further.

There were at least 2 TD's  where it appears the Ref was pained and reluctant to signal TD. It appears to be anti Duck Bias.

I get it, I am a Duck fan. I see these calls through green and yellow. I could be wrong (but I am not)  in my assessment because of this. 

No matter my biases,  the Pac refs are worthless and they ruin games for fans, players and everyone else involved. Makes me sick 

Sounds like a realist stating the obvious, to me... I'm from an old logging family, and experience tells me reality bites, at times.

That was painful to watch, thanks to the refs.

Hopefully, the team continues to improve and grow, enough so that the Ducks can stay ahead of the official curve.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:16 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I'm going to have to look at the film to really judge what happened.  Besides what you already pointed out from my seat there were a few egregious face mask penalties that the officials missed and Stanford got ever more chippy as the game went on.  To be fair Stanford is playing a nightmare schedule right now and their offense is abysmal so defenders getting angry is to be expected.  That being said some of that chippy play after the whistle absolutely should have been called.

As for Seven's ejection here is the video.  At 9 seconds in you will see Stanford safety #2 McGill push a helmetless Bo Nix for making a tackle on what Bo thought was a live ball.  The play was whistled dead but obviously Stanford was continuing to run with the ball.

At 12 seconds you will see Stanford corner #4 Turner-Muhammad pushing Oregon players rallying to Bo.  At 17 seconds Seven is pulling Turner-Muhammed out of the pile.  He pushed Turner-Muhammed in the helmet right in front of the line judge.  At 21 seconds he pushes Stanford linebacker #8 Tristan Sinclair in the helmet, this time with force.   

When I watch the scuffle I see Seven trying to get Stanford players away from the Oregon sideline.  This wasn't in my opinion a negative for Seven but he needs to learn to not push helmets since that will draw a flag. 

My question is, if Seven hadn't pushed two guys helmets would the officials have thrown any flags?  Stanford started the scuffle and should have been penalized for the shoving after the play was dead.  

Ultimately what I watched was some sloppy mistakes from Oregon but terrible officiating from the PAC.  We're way past due to hold the conference accountable for OUR officials.  Honestly though, as long as we keep paying "super fans" peridium to officiate games this is what we are going to get. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2

My thought was at the very least there should have been off setting penalties. The player pulling off bo's helmet. as i saw it, It certainly looked  to me like he  had his hands on the helmet when it came off. The other is when our runnning back tossed the ball to the ref,  bouncing it off the stanford  player, It didnt look like it was tossed with force, and in fact looked like stanford player ran into it.   I havent  looked at replays yet,  so this is just from watching it the first time

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

My question is, if Seven hadn't pushed two guys helmets would the officials have thrown any flags?  Stanford started the scuffle and should have been penalized for the shoving after the play was dead.  

Refs can always throw flags at both teams. There is a heirarchy of penalties that can get applied. 

The refs could very easily thrown a flag or two at Stanford for unsportsmanlike conduct. And they choose not to. 

I don't think a flag was ever headed to Stanford for that incident. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, JDuck said:

Crap 12 refs strike again, it will never change.  Changing conferences is the only solution, FWIW

Problem is the new expanded conference will need new officials and Pac-12 officials will need new jobs.  I don't think that ends the way we would like.

When you listen to the USC folks talk about the move to the B1G, finally being shed of the PAC 12 officiating is at or near the top of the list.  Plenty of that on display last night.  This must be dealt with for those remaining in the PAC.  

• Applause 1

I watched the game twice.  It truly was a horribly officiated game.  Our only hope is that coaches start filing complaints and calling for reviews at the league office.  It's painfully obvious that the head of officials is not doing his job well, at all. 

What happened to the Training that was imposed on all refs because of these mismanaged games from last season?!

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the question to ask is why would the officials hate the Ducks?

Anyone have an answer for that?

I agree that they did a poor job in last night’s game, and in many others, but I don’t think it’s any sort of anti-Duck conspiracy. 

I think PAC game officials are equal-opportunity incompetents. That, and officiating is difficult. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's tough being an official. But when you put your calls as being more important than the game it's a no go for me.

I see mistakes made in other leagues games, but what I don't see is the refs constantly taking the game over. They seem to allow the flow of the game to continue without making all the tricky tacky calls that PAC 12 refs seem to do.

Also when a team is playing at home the calls seem to work out in their favor. If a team is considered better than the other team the calls seem to go in their favor. If you're a blue blood the calls seem to go in your favor.

But not the Ducks. And I can't figure out why that is unless it that I'm a fan and can't see the forest through the trees. But I see other people making the same observations, some with a lot more FB knowledge then myself, seeing the same thing. 

I hope it's not a conspiracy by the league's refs, but it sure seems to be. What I don't understand is why? I know it seems to happen across the PAC also, but not with the frequency of it occuring to our OBD.

I know we don't pay our officials enough but in my eyes that can't explain it away. I just wish they'd let the players decide the outcome. It'd make the game so much better.

I would love to assemble a highlight reel of Pac Officials' Greatest Calls. Starting with that horse collar.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, tee duke said:

I would love to assemble a highlight reel of Pac Officials' Greatest Calls. Starting with that horse collar.

Add this to your highlight reel. Just saw this while searching for FishDuck Feed...

Crepea addressed this in his column today in the O.  He felt the majority of the calls were spot on with only 1 or 2 slightly questionable.

• Wow 1

Still shaking my head at the "illegal receiver downfield" with nothing on the replay.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 6:05 PM, Augduck said:

Crepea addressed this in his column today in the O.  He felt the majority of the calls were spot on with only 1 or 2 slightly questionable.

What? Only 1 or 2 questionable? He is being awfully dismissive of the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking for something humorous to put into the FishDuck Feed and ran across this!

The game was at Arizona in 2019, but I can't tell the opponent. Is there a referee interference call?

Only in the PAC-12 does this happen...

On 10/2/2022 at 7:16 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Horse Collar?

KPNW had reported that Seven McGee was ejected for throwing 2 punches at a Stanford player's helmet (come-on Seven, that's ain't gonna do nutin').  Replays of the "fight" didn't show it but there were a lot of players crowding around pushing and shoving and it would have been hard to see..  It might have happened.  ???

Edited by Mic

On 10/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, tee duke said:

I'm not completely sure what constitutes a "horse-collar" infraction but the replay showed clearly the Duck defender (Sewell?) had a hold of the jersey only, at the end of the shoulder pad - NOT THE PAD itself.  If that's a horse collar infraction then so be it.  If not, the NCAA rules committee had ought to make that clear to all officials and coaches - in every conference.