Pennsylvania Duck

End of 'Shout' as We Know It?

The following is an excerpt taken from an article on the FishDuck Feed written by Zachary Neel of Duckswire:

While the crowd at Autzen carried on the beloved ritual of singing ‘SHOUT’ during the intermission between 3rd and 4th quarters, the players did not

join along. They did not dance, they did not sing, they did not lay on the ground when the music urged them to get “a little bit softer now.”

Instead, they kept their attention tuned to the game and scheming for a fourth quarter with coaches guiding them.

This comes a couple of weeks after Dan Lanning’s comments about having difficulties coaching during ‘SHOUT’ in the BYU game. 

I’ve talked to several players who say no rule has been put into place about a certain scoring margin needing to be achieved to partake,

and Lanning told me just this last week that “the players know what’s expected of them.”

Those of you at the game, did it impact the atmosphere of the moment? Are we all ok with this as it is an Autzen tradition that receives lot of attention?

How long have the players been dancing during Shout? The first I ever saw of it was Troy Dye in 2019.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well maybe the coaching staff needs to take a look at a little discipline. The penalties in the last two games are just a distraction for the fans. This team might be really good but we won’t find out for a bit.

The Ducks have penalty issues like that against UCLA, Wash, and Utah they will get thumped.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/2/2022 at 11:15 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

How long have the players been dancing during Shout? The first I ever saw of it was Troy Dye in 2019.

According to Google:

National Lampoon’s Animal House , has been a prominent name in Eugene ever since the movie was filmed on the University of Oregon campus in 1978.

Their greatest hit, “Shout,” has been played on DuckVision at Autzen Stadium since the 2010 football season, and is now played on KnightVision at

Matthew Knight Arena during Oregon basketball games. 

I can't find info on when players started dancing though.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

According to Google:

National Lampoon’s Animal House , has been a prominent name in Eugene ever since the movie was filmed on the University of Oregon campus in 1978.

Their greatest hit, “Shout,” has been played on DuckVision at Autzen Stadium since the 2010 football season, and is now played on KnightVision at

I don’t think that Shout is going to go away. I don’t blame DL for putting a stop to the players dancing around. 

• Thumbs Up 6

There will be times when the coaches and players need to focus for the fourth quarter so I see why Lanning is trying to reel this in. 

Oregon was on the door knocking on another touchdown and let's face it the red zone hasn't been good to them. 

On 10/2/2022 at 8:43 AM, David Marsh said:

There will be times when the coaches and players need to focus for the fourth quarter so I see why Lanning is trying to reel this in. 

Oregon was on the door knocking on another touchdown and let's face it the red zone hasn't been good to them. 

No, Red Zone offense has been a big worry and long with an incredible amount of needless penalties, this team still has a long way to go before it's a championship-caliber team, imo.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know... maybe it's just me, but perhaps during the game, the players should focus on things like --- the game. Along with little things like not getting 14 penalties for 135 yards.

And the fans focus on being fans and having some fun while they're at it.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

A little more focused now.

• Haha 6
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

On the subject of if "Nix ever gets injured we are screwed if Thompson is our backup" -- I think almost all of us agree with you.

On the subject of Lanning "putting in our second string in the 4th quarter," for many reasons, that's exactly what he should be doing. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:43 AM, David Marsh said:

You hit the nail on the head. They were in the red zone needed to focus, and in fact the song was going on into the snap. 

It’s fun but cannot get in the way of winning. 

It is frustrating and concerning that TT continues to struggle when given his opportunity to play.  However, i continue to remind myself that both Ty and Jay are true freshmen in Dilly's offense. Takes time to learn and execute the system. Also takes time and playing time experiences to read defenses, audible, check down and execute the RPO.

QB player development was not a high priority under MC. Playing time for the backups and 2nd stringers was virtually non-existent. Why? Because MC loved to keep games close. In 2020 and 2021 the Ducks thrived in killing red zone scoring opportunities with penalties. This helped keep other teams in the games till the end. Not much opportunity for back ups to get playing time.I will conrinue to support their learning curve, especially with a good lead in the game. Auburn struggled and lost because Ashford made numerous mistakes and misreads as part of his learning curve.

Personally I will support Coach Lanning's decision to give TT, JB and any backups critical playing time. It is critical for their development. Ask yourself if you would like close games again?

The drive killing penalties, personal fouls and showboating are frustrating. They definitely disrupt the offense's timing and flow. However, this years squad is overcoming those penalties and that, to me, is what matters most. Winning the game........

As for the referees? WTH, WTH, WTH? Just like most things the PAC leadership just seems to stand by, recognize the problem then do nothing. Poor, inconsistent officiating hurts the on field product that you are selling to the customers! Come on GK, lets get this fixed........

Nice work Coach Lanning, staff and players for a great win and a 4-1 start. Its right on the money. Keep this train rolling. ..  

GO DUCKS.........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

It is frustrating and concerning that TT continues to struggle when given his opportunity to play.  However, i continue to remind myself that both Ty and Jay are true freshmen in Dilly's offense. Takes time to learn and execute the system. Also takes time and playing time experiences to read defenses, audible, check down and execute the RPO.

I think it is important for backups to get reps in garbage time. 

What really concerns me about TT was how lost he looked out there. He didn't seem to know where he wanted to go with the ball. A few of his passes seemed more to a part of the field than actually to a player. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, David Marsh said:

What really concerns me about TT was how lost he looked out there. He didn't seem to know where he wanted to go with the ball. A few of his passes seemed more to a part of the field than actually to a player. 

A concern for sure. Also a concern is 2nd team O line. The drop off is significant. Nice to get them in as an entire unit. 

All the snaps mentioned when praising the 1st team O line are snaps the backups didn't get. Just not a lot of game play for them.

You can really see it in the running game in garbage time. As the back-ups get better the 2nd team skill players will record better stats.

Both Of TT picks are horrible luck against TT. I kinda chuckled when he threw the last one. Dude has the worst luck on the planet.

I noticed the players not singing along to shout, but the crowd was just as rowdy as ever.   I think he could probably allow the 4th and 5th string guys sing along.  Half the team was with Lanning and the other half was away from him.  The guys away could sing and dance.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Those of you at the game, did it impact the atmosphere of the moment?

I was at the game and honestly I chalk it up to 1) The play was a bit sloppy, especially in the third quarter  2) It was a night game

In the post game the players not dancing was discussed and Lanning's rule essentially breaks down to you have to have the game well in hand and playing clean football to dance during Shout.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:05 AM, Jannyoakley said:

He keeps putting in our second string in the 4th quarter, apparently thinking we are ahead enough so that if they score another touchdown it won't matter. 

Lanning is also focused on player development, if you don't get the two's in the games at some point they will be limited when you do need them.  Injuries are a reality in football.

• Thumbs Up 1

My rule. When you have no penalties at this point of the game, then the players can join the fun. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 10:12 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Ty and Jay are true freshmen in Dilly's offense. Takes time to learn and execute the system

From what I saw Ty is struggling with accuracy during games.  Since Jay throws dimes I'm sure Ty is showing something in practices that makes him the #2.  As for why he's struggling in trash time that could be as simple as nerves.  He's a mobile QB but getting him more game time to settle in and make his throws will likely be a priority for the staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 1:46 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Since Jay throws dimes I'm sure Ty is showing something in practices that makes him the #2

If Dillingham wants an offense with down field plays, throwing dimes is critical. Some players show well in practice and not in actual games.

Unless TT starts showing his stuff soon, maybe next 2-3 games (less if he looks like his previous games), we need to see what Butters can do.

This may be their first year in this offense, but they have been around awhile now and should have picked up some fundamental skills in practice

during that time. Yes, I do realize MC wasn't a good teacher, but with Dante Moore coming on, we need to know what these two have. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:20 AM, David Marsh said:

Exactly. I don't know of any fan who doesn't want to Lanning putting in his backup QBs later in the game when we clearly have a win in hand. We all know that we only have one season with Nix, so we need to give these guys as much PT as possible and see who can perform.

But yeah... TT just looked lost out there. If I did not know that he was a junior, and you told me he was a freshman, I would have no problem believing it.

• Applause 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:15 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The first I ever saw of it was Troy Dye in 2019.

Agreed, Troy took it to the next level and it is fun to see the players so engaged with the fans.

But, I think we do need to leave it up to the coaches.

Maybe replay it at the end of the game if it is a W so the fans and team can celebrate together. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

According to Google:

It started when Taggart came and MC allowed it to continue.

I personally wondered when it might be something that would get a coaches' attention

Edited by Augduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

If the coaches want to shut it down because it is a distraction that is fine.  However I would like to see a sample size greater than one.  Lanning's commented after the BYU game that the first play of the 4th quarter didn't show attention to detail, therefore they needed to reassess Shout.  Shouldn't he have more data?

On 10/2/2022 at 10:37 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I was at the game and honestly I chalk it up to 1) The play was a bit sloppy, especially in the third quarter  2) It was a night game

In the post game the players not dancing was discussed and Lanning's rule essentially breaks down to you have to have the game well in hand and playing clean football to dance during Shout.

Isn’t SHOUT for the fans, not the players?

I think the players, all the players, should keep their heads in the game.

• Applause 1

Oops, someone should coordinate with the ticket office on policy.  Sure looks like players dancing to Shout in yesterdays tweet. 

No reason, imo, to stop the 'Shout' tradition at Autzen, as far as the fans and students go.  Reining in some of the more exuberant celebrating by the players isn't a bad idea but Lanning might want to strike a balance between the fan-player connection that the tradition fosters.  Easier said than done, tho.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Just Ducky said:

Well maybe the coaching staff needs to take a look at a little discipline. The penalties in the last two games are just a distraction for the fans. This team might be really good but we won’t find out for a bit.

The Ducks have penalty issues like that against UCLA, Wash, and Utah they will get thumped.

A week removed from watching Stanford, I totally forgot about the ridiculous amount of penalties. If it happens again this weekend (which I don't think it will), I'll address it in next week's articles. But like you said: we won't find out for a bit. 

Let's clean up the laundry on the field and do some thumping ourselves.

DL >>>>>>>>>>>>>> What would Nick Saban do?

1) Allow players to lose focus on the game and direction and guidance from the coaches, or

2) Win countless National Championships.

DL selects 2).  He chose wisely.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:11 PM, DUCKED said:

Isn’t SHOUT for the fans, not the players?

I think the players, all the players, should keep their heads in the game.

I'm with you.  I realize the players are late teens, early twenties, but they're there to play football.  That's what they need to concentrate on.  when the game is over and they've won, then it's time to celebrate and have fun.