30Duck

Thompson Vs. Huard: The Battle Of The Quarterbacks

Two 5 * quarterbacks for the Ducks and the Huskies, it's shaping up to be a huge element in the fight for control of the North in the Pac-12 Ty Thompson and Sam Huard.  From Rivals.com

Of course, when it comes to a Husky quarterback named Huard...

Fun-fun-fun.  But I would like to think the supporting cast will make a difference in this one...

Sweet hole for CJ Verdell_KC.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

A big difference going into 2021 is also need.

Oregon has a full quarterback room and ONE of them is going to emerge as Oregon's starter and one of them will be operating the Oregon offense at a better level than we saw last year. Simply because they will have all spring to reinstall the offense and then fall to install the offense again. Someone is going to emerge from the quarterback room a starter and they will have an incredible supporting cast around them.

Washington on the other-hand has really dubbed (pun intentional) Huard their savior and NEEDS him to perform. Washington's passing game was non-existent.

Thompson may take the starting role at Oregon, he may not but someone is going to emerge and become the next rising star at Oregon. Washington really only has one option... hope Huard works out.

• Thumbs Up 1

We love the Huard family at Oregon! Hopefully Sam becomes as memorable as his dad Damon is to us. Washington is betting it all on an undersized lefty who has his recruiting ranking as a placeholder for years.
Washington has really missed in their QB evaluations. Yankoff, Haener, Sirmon, Garbers. Haener has actually been lighting it up at Fresno, but the other three were 4-star QB recruits who didn’t do anything, very Helfrichean. Dylan Morris is average at best. Their young WRs have been mostly overrated busts and all of their RBs wouldn’t even sniff playing time at Oregon. Add their mind numbingly bad hire of an OC in Jon Donovan and this is just is the start of another decade of dominance.

3 hours ago, RatherBe said:

We love the Huard family at Oregon! Hopefully Sam becomes as memorable as his dad Damon is to us. Washington is betting it all on an undersized lefty who has his recruiting ranking as a placeholder for years.
Washington has really missed in their QB evaluations. Yankoff, Haener, Sirmon, Garbers. Haener has actually been lighting it up at Fresno, but the other three were 4-star QB recruits who didn’t do anything, very Helfrichean. Dylan Morris is average at best. Their young WRs have been mostly overrated busts and all of their RBs wouldn’t even sniff playing time at Oregon. Add their mind numbingly bad hire of an OC in Jon Donovan and this is just is the start of another decade of dominance.

Sam Huard is a really polished kid. Let's not kid ourselves.

Normally I'm a skittish of kids that don't play at the highest levels of HS ball (especially at QB). But I think Huard would have done well at any level.

I did a little eval of him a few months ago. He's a pretty impressive kid. Not the biggest QB in the world, but then the record books are full of undersized guys that have lit up The Show. 

It'll be interesting to see how the careers of both those youngsters shake out and how they compare.  For me the bigger worry is that if by some chance Thompson wins the starting role, we'd probably have at least two QBs transfer out.  Cale Millen has already left, I would guess Tyler Shough and one other (Anthony Brown?)....leaving the QB room very shallow behind the starter.  It has potential for that Braxton Burmeister scenario that we all dread.

56 minutes ago, kirklandduck said:

It'll be interesting to see how the careers of both those youngsters shake out and how they compare.  For me the bigger worry is that if by some chance Thompson wins the starting role, we'd probably have at least two QBs transfer out.  Cale Millen has already left, I would guess Tyler Shough and one other (Anthony Brown?)....leaving the QB room very shallow behind the starter.  It has potential for that Braxton Burmeister scenario that we all dread.

You might be right about Shough and Brown transferring out but I think we would be ok. We have Butterfield whom I think could be better then Shough or Brown. If Thompson and Butterfield both get knocked out then it doesn't matter who QB's because the season is lost anyway. 

1 hour ago, kirklandduck said:

It'll be interesting to see how the careers of both those youngsters shake out and how they compare.  For me the bigger worry is that if by some chance Thompson wins the starting role, we'd probably have at least two QBs transfer out.  

I really don't expect Brown to transfer out. He didn't win the starting job last year, and has kept around since. He easily could have transferred this year and guaranteed himself a starting spot elsewhere. At this point he must be looking at his Graduate degree. Although that doesn't really matter as he will be gone after this year. What you need to look at is the other depth, Thompson starting means he would jump butterfield, Ashford and Shough for the position. And during the 2021 and 2022 you could see multiple transfers at which point it becomes key for oregon to pull in 1-2 QB's in the 2022 class.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, RatherBe said:

Washington is betting it all on an undersized lefty who has his recruiting ranking as a placeholder for years.

I think you miss the point pretty frequently in this statement.

1. Undersized- First undersized QB's are doing pretty well in the NFL and College right now. 

2. I don't think I'd call him 'Undersized'. He needs the weight room at 190 but so do a number of players when the get to college.

3. "Very Helfrichean", I actually think Helfrich/Chip were quite apt at Evaluating players. Their problem was in their disdain for recruiting as a whole. 

4. I make no remark towards their roster as a whole because I am not overly familiar but I do know that Oregon Offered and wanted WR Puka Nacua pretty bad.

5. No disagreement, Jon Donovan is a bad hire, but frankly UW hasn't had a good OC since Smith went to Oregon State. I think Donovan may actually be an improvement over Hamden still. You should look at who was hired for DC... now that is very Helrichean...

30 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

You should look at who was hired for DC... now that is very Helrichean...

Oregon hiring Keith Heyward for DC would be the same as UW hiring Gregory.  We could do better and did....

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, UtahDuck said:

I think you miss the point pretty frequently in this statement.

1. Undersized- First undersized QB's are doing pretty well in the NFL and College right now. 

2. I don't think I'd call him 'Undersized'. He needs the weight room at 190 but so do a number of players when the get to college.

3. "Very Helfrichean", I actually think Helfrich/Chip were quite apt at Evaluating players. Their problem was in their disdain for recruiting as a whole. 

4. I make no remark towards their roster as a whole because I am not overly familiar but I do know that Oregon Offered and wanted WR Puka Nacua pretty bad.

5. No disagreement, Jon Donovan is a bad hire, but frankly UW hasn't had a good OC since Smith went to Oregon State. I think Donovan may actually be an improvement over Hamden still. You should look at who was hired for DC... now that is very Helrichean...

1. Undersized QBs are still the exception, not the rule. There are three QBs shorter than Huard who are NFL starters: Kyler Murray, Tua, and Russell Wilson. Two of those make up for it with speed, Russ ran the 40 in 4.53 and undoubtedly Murray is faster. Tua I make no case for. Maybe Baker Mayfield as well, although he was listed the same height but 30 pounds heavier.
2. Sam Huard is listed on UW’s roster at a generous 6’1” 190 - almost everyone shows up at the NFL combine shorter and lighter than their listed measurements. At that height there aren’t a lot of QBs who don’t have wheels. It doesn’t mean he can’t be a great college QB, not as important in college, but statistically it lowers his chances of success considerably; that’s just the data and not my opinion. 
3. For Helfrichean QB management I didn’t mention Chip. I did point out the parallel of highly ranked QB recruits who didn’t pan out. Jake Rodrigues, Morgan Mahalak, and Travis Jonsen contributed the same result for Oregon as those guys did for Washington. 
4. I’m pretty familiar with Washington’s roster and their skill players are severely lacking. Their OL and DL are better than ours at the moment, but everywhere else it’s a blowout. Other than Otton at TE Nacua is their most high ceiling skill guy, and there have been rumors of him transferring. UW’s RBs (McGrew, Pleasant, Newton) have combined for 1886 yards at 4.6 yards per carry. To put that in perspective, Oregon fans have been complaining about running backs and Travis Dye has 1840 yards at 5.9 yards per carry while CJ has 2523 yards at 5.4 yards per carry. Their WRs are in the same boat, their combined stats are less than Jaylon Redd’s. 
5. That we can agree on. Jimmy Lake’s hires have been less than inspiring. Hiring Jon Donovan and his outdated offense is more confusing to me, at least Bob Gregory has been a successful DC in this conference and Jimmy wants control of the defense. On offense the teams Washington played in 2020 all had their best or second best defensive performance against Washington in yards per play.