Charles Fischer

I am Surprised at the Wolfing and Showboating...Are You?

This was not allowed at Georgia, and I'm surprised and quite disappointed at what I see.  Now an argument can be made that today's athlete is different, and you have to give a little, especially with the portal always available.

The excessive celebrations with a sack, or wolfing at pass defense or trash-talking by receivers is disgusting to me.

Lanning is new at this and wants to be liked by the players...

But I don't like it.  How about you?

DJ Johnson celebrates_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Never have cared for it.  Especially when it is a defensive back  jumping around like a sap when he didn't do anything to make the play, the receiver dropped it or the QB missed the throw.

I long for the days of “give the ball to the ref and move on to the next play.”

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Not much to celebrate at Georgia.

Some of our players used to celebrate plays while we were losing the game. I think celebrating when you are ahead by 4 touchdowns is boorish.

However, if a big play happens that turns momentum of a close game in our favor, I don’t mind a celebration of sorts. 

I don't like it either.  I think it reflects a lack of discipline in the program.  Let your play and the scoreboard do the talking. 

On 10/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This was not allowed at Georgia, and I'm surprised and quite disappointed at what I see.  Now an argument can be made that today's athlete is different, and you have to give a little, especially with the portal always available.

The excessive celebrations with a sack, or wolfing at pass defense or trash-talking by receivers is disgusting to me.

• Applause 4

I think they over do the play by play celebrations. Not a fan of that.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I know it is cliche from us old folks but here it goes.   Act like you've been there before.

I really dislike showing the first down sign every time.

• Great post! 1

I think Dan Lanning is learning on the job with this issue, it is surprising though. His first move seems to be stopping the end of 3rd quarter dancing. I look for the next step to be a little more, or a lot tighter set of expectations.

This is a new program and the culture he is setting will be hard to pull back if he doesn't set it right soon. The ending of celebration after the 3rd quarter is a good start. 

Agree, simply telling the players to look like they have been there, done that before, is a talk which needs to happen, now or sooner.

Love the winning, but he is setting the stage for these young men to be part of a civilized society. Oregon Football Players should elevate a room they enter, not trip on their way in. He does them no favor by allowing this behavior.

AGREED.  No place for it and I don't care if this is Daniel's first HC gig, I don't think we see this on the 'Bama or Bulldog sidelines.

It should only be allowed once a year . . . even years at home and on odd years up North.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

I actually didn't notice it that much this game.

It certainly is less this year compared to the past.

Work in progress??

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like it and was surprised by it in this game. The first four games I'd thought the Ducks had done a pretty good job of "celebrating with their teammates." I hope Lanning quickly and firmly steers them back in that direction.

Don't want to sound clueless but what is Wolfing?

If it's anything like the silly first down motion or any of the other classless showboating I saw from Duck players I'm not a fan. Would like to see DL clean that up ... along with those awful penalties.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:29 PM, PittDuck said:

Never have cared for it.  Especially when it is a defensive back  jumping around like a sap when he didn't do anything to make the play, the receiver dropped it or the QB missed the throw.

I long for the days of “give the ball to the ref and move on to the next play.”

Gonzalez is horribly consistent at it.  Especially when he makes plays 

For as disappointing this team has been ( sloppy, chaotic, undisciplined, and leaving months of food on the table) I just want them to play and shut up.  

In high school, we had to eat a week old hot dog for showboating.  Our film guy zoomed in on it and we laughed boisterously every week.  We even looked for tiny things.  

This team could use many a crusty dog right now. 

• Haha 1

Getting too emotional on any given play can distract a bit too long. It can take you off your next play mentally. It also smacks of Individualism in probably the most 'team' sport. 

A hard fought game, thats close, with 2 minutes left and a go ahead score is something to release your energy about. What I believe should be standard con'duck'd is 

1) excitement for a spectacular play---not first down

2) dancing to "Shout" with the fans. Everyone in the stadium is doing it, not just the students

3) keep your mouth shut to opposing players 'after the whistle'. Getting in their head before the snap is part of it.

4) Show your loyalty to your 'Team' by not being undisciplined with 'Personal Fouls'. It's incredibly selfish and cost Oregon 11 points minimum last night.

Oregon looks like a team that could crush all but 3-5 teams in all of FBS. They just aren't disciplined enough to do it yet. Not crisp enough, not clean enough. It looks like they are playing sand lot football some of the time, more than normal. Also, BONIX has a weakness, he throws the deep ball waaaay too late. He has receivers that consistently outran their defenders, then BONIX would throw, should be, interceptions twice last night into double coverage.

Throw the stinking ball 2 seconds after snap to the sideline 40 yds down, thats his consistent limit of accuracy, the field and let the fastest guys chase it down. These are TD's cooking in the pot waiting to be served up. I'm sure Lanning saw that and will implement ASAP.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I did enjoy watching Cota watching himself as he was scoring a touchdown  on the jumbotron. That was pretty funny.  He looked up twice during that YAC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It’s gonna cost them if it doesn’t stop.  

• Applause 1

Back in my hoops days, I was quite the shot blocker and had some really nasty ones. I once spun a guy into  a 360 back flip with a perfectly clean block.

I never showed the slightest bit of emotion about it. That way it was just accepted by all involved that that’s just what happens if you dared to come into the paint. 

To me show boating makes it seem like players are surprised and rejoicing that they actually made a play.

• Applause 1

I don’t have a tally but it seems like the same offenders way toooo often.

• Thumbs Up 1

Celebrating after every play...ridiculous.  Maybe a little after a TD, or sack that forces 4th and long, or a pick.  Save the real celebration for a win.  All those penalties = shame and no reason to celebrate every first down.  They didn't even dance for SHOUT, maybe Lanning is on the right track, maybe shout is a good pump up in a close game, but coaching moments more important.  Players do Shout when it's 48-7 going into the 4th quarter perhaps.

I hope it changes.  Interesting that Hutson, who was famously chewed out last year (appropriately so by MC) had the same talk from Lanning it looked like yesterday, though not so visibly ferocious.  Hutson didn't learn?

I absolutely hate it. I just want them to concentrate and execute. Nothing demoralizes the opposing team like steamrolling them while demonstrating cold, calculated indifference.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/2/2022 at 6:46 PM, kirklandduck said:. Nothing demoralizes the opposing team like steamrolling them while demonstrating cold, calculated indifference.

I love it!  Cold, Calculated Indifference while steamrolling you opponent.

That is a far more demoralizing statement than showboating will ever be.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will agree some things change over time. How one dresses, the uniforms are way different. The training these guys do is completely different from the old practices and workouts. One thing that should never change is how one acts. The same principles of how you treat anyone holds true today, yesterday and tomorrow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hadn't thought of it before but of course NIL incentivizes showboating.  The more attention a player draws to himself the more value generated.  

The media loves this kind of thing and goes out of its way to show it to us. That’s just the facts of life now days and I hate it. Negative Journalism.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:17 AM, McDuck said:

I hadn't thought of it before but of course NIL incentivizes showboating.  The more attention a player draws to himself the more value generated.  

I might be missing it but I don't remember seeing teams like Alabama, Georgia, & Clemson displaying this kind of bush league behavior.

Right now this team is quite undisciplined, and if it continues, it is going to cost us at least a couple wins.

Edited by Desert Duck

It wasn't like this when I was a kid, but times and the world had changed. We didn't have cell phones when I was a kid.

The 24-hour news channel's spawned "The Soud Bite" -- giving instant attention to all things in life including sports.

" playoffs, playoffs, don't talk to me about playoffs" is a good example, it became a commercial. Denny Geen's " they are who, they thought they are, if you want to crown their a** then crown them"

Then we moved into the Myspace and into FaceLook, Then Twatter "The Selfie" and Insta-Stupid age, and now Tik-Tok. I use none of that stuff- it's stupid to me. 

I just turned 50 and my kid in is mid 20's and doesn't use that stuff, probably partly as a result of my parenting and character.

Younger generations use these Apps daily and they are all about your "profile" and getting attention. People use dating Apps now and many create this false impression of themselves to impress through pictures and describing the "AMAZING" life they live.

FaceLook and Twatter saw people compiling huge number counts of friends online and posting a pic of their fancy meal they were out to eat, or a pic of the Margarita they were drinking. 

Everyday things became LOOK AT ME moments. 

Now people make dance videos of themselves on Tik-Tok. 

The world has changed and so has sports with the celebrations. Mark Gastineau had his sack dance and he TV camera never missed it and the attention has just grown.

These kids playing now have grown up in the LOOK AT ME social media age. Spending hours doing social media and to celebrate every play on TV, to them it's normal. 

To conclude I will say LOOK AT ME and my post!! haha

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1

I think it's absolutely selfish and has no place in a top tier program.  Ever since Tony Washington got flagged for a midfield bow following a drive stalling sack in the 4th quarter against Arizona in '14 (not nearly as bad as what we see today), I cringe each time a player feels the incessant need to posture after every routine play.  I'm always waiting for another flag to fall and frankly, the refs should throw more.  It's a terrible example to set for young people watching college football.

I understand the tremendous amount of hard work most of these athletes put into every practice and game - it's rewarding to see it pay off.  However, it's plain selfishness to celebrate your own play by yourself.  If it's worth celebrating, a teammate will come over and celebrate with you.  

On 10/3/2022 at 6:17 AM, McDuck said:

I think showboating is now "generating brand awareness" or some such bovine excrement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoy it. Sports is entertainment. It’s getting harder to get people to attend games nationally. Baseball is hurting more than ever because some in the sport refuse to adapt the product for a more distracted potential costumer. 2022 isn’t 1962. 

I don't have a problem with celebrating. It's just some kids' personalities. Now if  what they are doing is rubbing an opponents nose in it when they are beating them badly, that's another deal. 

Do some of the guys overdo it? Yeah, but one of the comments made during the early practices in the Spring after Lanning came was, "Football is fun again." 

I kind of like to see the guys celebrating and having fun as long as they are playing well when they line up and the ball is snapped.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like to see the players celebrate with their teammates.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think we've seen anything that overboard really, I've seen the same stuff we've done this year at Georgia, Alabama, and tOSU.  We aren't directing it at the opposing team, we haven't gotten penalized for taunting, we have jawed a bit too much for my liking over minor stuff, but nothing where I'm just gobsmacked that it's happening.  Let them have fun, a lot of the celebrations have been team oriented.  

• Thumbs Up 2