shawnski

Thompson Regression?

Many of us were surprised Ty Thompson didn't really play last season.

This season we have seen him get multiple opportunities including the Spring Game. 

Last night he seemed disinterested, inaccurate, and late on his throws.

I'm past the "bad luck" point for Thompson. It might be time to accept that he isn't very good. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't know if he progressed enough to regress at this point. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your sentiment.  He looked totally lost out there last night…deer in the headlights.  I think JB should get the next mop up duty as TT has not proven himself in the opportunities he’s had so far. Although the running BN did last night was spectacular, it is putting the team at risk, if he goes down, there appears to be no viable backup.  

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, Geoduck said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your sentiment.  He looked totally lost out there last night…deer in the headlights.  I think JB should get the next mop up duty as TT has not proven himself in the opportunities he’s had so far. Although the running BN did last night was spectacular, it is putting the team at risk, if he goes down, there appears to be no viable backup.  

Yeah, and I’m not saying BN shouldn’t run, but the coaches certainly need to put emphasis on him taking as few hits as possible.  No running with a LB mentality unless the game is on the line.  Get down or out of bounds.  

As for TT, I think it’s way too early to give up on him.  Maybe JB should get some opportunities, but honestly you kinda just have to trust that the coaches know what they are doing.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every time I seeTT, he seems disinterested. Every time I see Butterfield, he seems amped up and excited to be there.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Does TT, a supposed five star QB act like he is OK with riding the bench?  Remember Travis Jonsen 4 star QB, enrolled at Oregon 2015 with at least 22 offers, Alabama, Ohio St, Texas A&M, USC, Notre Dame, lots of blue bloods.  Transfer to Montana St 2017.  He at least tried his luck with a different program trying to see the field.

Give me a high 3 star, who challenges for the starting role, shows his leadership and acts like he wants to be there.  TT, looks like he is just collecting a pay check, does not inspire me.  Time for Jay Butters to the Field!

• Thumbs Up 4

I am not giving up on him SoGaDawg. I totally agree regarding the coaches as they see his performance everyday in practice. I hope he can prove me wrong.  Maybe he is just a bad test taker. He knows all the material and has the skills, but for some reason on the day of the test he just lays an egg.  

He certainly looks befuddled out there. There didn’t seem to be a ton of drop off in the spring game between him and JB and that is the metric I am basing my opinion on. His on field performance in mop up duty should not be a high stress environment. He should be able to at least manage the game and move the chains a few times, granted a times he wasn’t behind the starting OL. Would just like to see JB get a shot as well, because if BN goes down the ducks are going to be in serious trouble from what I’ve seen.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Remember Travis Jonsen 4 star QB, enrolled at Oregon 2015 with at least 22 offers, Alabama, Ohio St, Texas A&M, USC, Notre Dame, lots of blue bloods.  Transfer to Montana St 2017.

Travis ended up being a WR and only play sparingly at QB for Montana State. He was used as a wildcat QB and only threw it a handful of time and still never did that very well. Some guys are just amazing athletes that don't have the decision making ability to function as a high level college QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:42 PM, Geoduck said:

I am not giving up on him SoGaDawg. I totally agree regarding the coaches as they see his performance everyday in practice. I hope he can prove me wrong.  Maybe he is just a bad test taker. He knows all the material and has the skills, but for some reason on the day of the test he just lays an egg.  He certainly looks befuddled out there. There didn’t seem to be a ton of drop off in the spring game between him and JB and that is the metric I am basing my opinion on. His on field performance in mop up duty should not be a high stress environment. He should be able to at least manage the game and move the chains a few times, granted a times he wasn’t behind the starting OL. Would just like to see JB get a shot as well, because if BN goes down the ducks are going to be in serious trouble from what I’ve seen.

I agree, TT certainly hasn’t displayed confidence on the field yet this season.  He has looked a bit like a deer in the headlights.  

Hopefully this is just a symptom of his age and lack of experience and reps.  I imagine Bo has taken almost all of the reps with the 1’s to this point just to make sure he is comfortable in a new system.  

In the meantime, yeah maybe it’s time for JB to get some work in.  What I’m really hoping is that Oregon dominates early in so many games that TT and JB get ample opportunities to show who they are.  

I also agree that the Ducks could be in trouble if BN goes down.  At least the line is protecting him very well.  I love his attitude, but he needs to learn to slide.  No unnecessary hits!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

TT looks way to mechanical to me. 

I preferred Ashford over the two that stayed.  While he has his issues, at least he is making plays on the field.

• Great post! 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:25 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

TT looks way to mechanical to me. 

In fairness that was what was said about Mariota ... And to a slightly lesser extent Herbert. 

But they also played at a much much higher level so they got away with it. 

To me TT looks like a little brother who hasn't yet caught up to his big brother on the field. But maybe sooner rather than later things will just click for him. Hope so!

So far this year Thompson has attempted 14 passes, completed 7, and has 2 interceptions.  Not good. 

When he comes into the game it seems like the offense suddenly forgets how to play football. His play during the BYU game was poor, and his play during the short stint during the Stanford game didn’t make me think that that he is our future. 

As stated earlier, we better hope Nix stays injury free. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, David Marsh said:

In fairness that was what was said about Mariota ... And to a slightly lesser extent Herbert. 

But they also played at a much much higher level so they got away with it. 

Yeah, if TT came in and went 8-10 for 150 yards and 2 TD's, the same behavior would be described as the calm demeanor he has in the huddle and how cool he is in the pocket.

• Thumbs Up 1

QB1 had better start sliding.... 

• Like 1

I'm not impressed with Ty so far this year -- I'm less impressed with the coaching scheme to develop him in garbage time.

It's obvious when we bring in TY teams are thinking we are going to run the ball or throw a easy screen pass to get him going. They are going to play up and be more aggressive on defense because they expect we aren't running the full play book

If you're in on offense you mentally feel the offense is being throttled down. That has a mental effect on the whole execution level.

Then Dilly is running lateral or straight ahead into a defense that is expecting it. The plays aren't going anywhere. We also have had hod throw that Mario style 3-5yard cross on third down in front of the sticks for two picks.

I would have a 180-degree approach with TY and the team in garage time. 

Making big time throws like outs to the opposite field or mid-range crosses is what TY needs to be able to do if he is going to ever be QB1. So, I'd have him come out throwing those passe against the defense that is expecting screens and handoffs. 

TY ever being QB1 and holding the job comes down to making those reads and big-time throws -- game plan for the offense to get him reps doing that when he comes in. I don't care how good we run the ball, throw screens of 5-yard crosses with TY in garbage time - that's not what he needs to do to be QB1someday. 

Let TY work down the field and see what he can do. He might take his lumps, but does he get better for it and learn? Plus, the players will be more focused on making big plays and not feel like we have throttled down. If TY hits a couple good throws the lateral runs, screes and slants can be mixed in and go.

They got TY almost running a Mario scheme in garbage time. He isn't looking good, I don't know how that type pf scheme is going to improve him, and I can't tell how and if he is improving.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/3/2022 at 8:05 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm not impressed with Ty so far this year -- I'm less impressed with the coaching scheme to develop him in garbage time.

It's obvious when we bring in TY teams are thinking we are going to run the ball or throw a easy screen pass to get him going. They are going to play up and be more aggressive on defense because they expect we aren't running the full play book

If you're in on offense you mentally feel the offense is being throttled down. That has a mental effect on the whole execution level.

Then Dilly is running lateral or straight ahead into a defense that is expecting it. The plays aren't going anywhere. We also have had hod throw that Mario style 3-5yard cross on third down in front of the sticks for two picks.

Making big time throws like outs to the opposite field or mid-range crosses is what TY needs to be able to do if he is going to ever be QB1. So, I'd have him come out throwing those passe against the defense that is expecting screens and handoffs. 

TY ever being QB1 and holding the job comes down to making those reads and big-time throws -- game plan for the offense to get him reps doing that when he comes in. I don't care how good we run the ball, throw screens of 5-yard crosses with TY in garbage time - that's not what he needs to do to be QB1someday. 

Let TY work down the field and see what he can do. He might take his lumps, but does he get better for it and learn? Plus, the players will be more focused on making big plays and not feel like we have throttled down. If TY hits a couple good throws the lateral runs, screes and slants can be mixed in and go.

They got TY almost running a Mario scheme in garbage time. He isn't looking good, I don't know how that type pf scheme is going to improve him, and I can't tell how and if he is improving.

Completely agree with this analysis. I am glad the coaches seem to only be blowing the garbage time for Ty. The play calling for the rest of the game is pretty good and the adjustment there are working.

At least they are getting him on the field, but it seems they aren't doing him any favors with the play calling. Maybe going forward we will see the play calling for Ty improve. My bet is his play will too.

I hope we see Ty get some field time at an away game against Arizona, and a better set of plays to call.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

Completely agree with this analysis. I am glad the coaches seem to only be blowing the garbage time for Ty. The play calling for the rest of the game is pretty good and the adjustment there are working.

At least they are getting him on the field, but it seems they aren't doing him any favors with the play calling. Maybe going forward we will see the play calling for Ty improve. My bet is his play will too.

I hope we see Ty get some field time at an away game against Arizona, and a better set of plays to call.

Same goes for if Butters is in. Let them throw down the field and if that's not open there should be room to check down and let that player get some yards. 

• Like 1

I'm not impressed with Ty so far this year -- I'm less impressed with the coaching scheme to develop him in garbage time

Making big time throws like outs to the opposite field or mid-range crosses is what TY needs to be able to do if he is going to ever be QB1. 

TY ever being QB1 and holding the job comes down to making those reads and big-time throws

Let TY work down the field and see what he can do. 

They got TY almost running a Mario scheme in garbage time. 

Yeah, I disagree somewhat. He did have those pass plays called for him.

The last series had exactly that and he struggled through his progressions and airmailed his passes. Plus he looked disinterested doing.

Unfortunately, the whole team seems to tank when he comes in and their play reflects that.

Gotta produce. If he completed ONE play and had any glimmer of a spark....

I'd move to Butters at this point.

If it's garbage time, who cares?

On 10/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, shawnski said:

Unfortunately, the whole team seems to tank when he comes in and their play reflects that.

When you look at both BYU and this game, there does seem to be some kind of a disturbing disconnect that happens when Ty is at the helm.  Time often has a way of taking care of that if it’s just a matter of youthfulness and bonding with older team mates. But right now when he is on the field, it feels less like he’s running the team, and more like he’s playing a video game.

And the players lose Shout over this garbage time scheming?!

Yeah, I disagree somewhat. He did have those pass plays called for him.

The last series had exactly that and he struggled through his progressions and airmailed his passes. Plus he looked disinterested doing.

Gotta produce. If he completed ONE play and had any glimmer of a spark....

If it's garbage time, who cares?

One series out of his last 5 they did try to push the ball down the field. Adn your right he missed throws. I was wrong earlier the pick wasn't on the cross again. It was a deeper ball Jarmillo got beat at RT and the rusher hit Ty's arm. 

I think the offensive unit sorta takes the foot off the gas when he comes in. Part of it might be because mental knowing the plays aren't aggressive.

I have no problem seeing Butters next as you posted. I've said in an article I wrote pre-season Butters was my QB2 after the spring game. 

I won't argue with you on the move to Butters I actually agree, I just want some better play calling scheme to develop the backup QB. 

I will say the last two staffs have had TY QB2- so they both see something in Ty.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

I preferred Ashford over the two that stayed.  While he has his issues, at least he is making plays on the field.

^ This.

There is the possibility that the coaches know TT is not capable of accurately reading coverages and making the throws you suggest.  I don't know if that is true...but either you trust the coaches and their schemes, or you do not.  I do.

Agreed.  Give him the same chances!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I know the spring can’t be the guide but Butters looked better than TT especially on throws over the middle.

TT was behind the receivers most throws.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed.  Give him the same chances!

Might even have the secondary affect of lighting a fire under TT as well