Charles Fischer

The Pac-12 is "Irrelevant" Because of OREGON?

Consider his reasoning that makes sense, but yet as a Duck...not very palatable.  It gives ammo for Huskies and Trojans...

Greg McElroy says Pac-12 will make College Football Playoff in 2021 by 247Sports

Anthony Brown_John McGillen USC Athletics.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On the whole, I think we need to consider the 2020 season as an outlier, and just get back to work this spring.  Everyone has a bad day at work once in a while, where you have to ignore the negativity,  just shrug it off and start tomorrow morning all over again, taking names and kicking butts.  This whole season was a bad day at work, time to pick it up and get back to it!

Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah, Mr. Klatt, another member of Wilner and Washington's Whiners about Oregon PLAYING in the championship game, and then actually WINNING. I realize it's a down time, but that call was old as soon as they said it the first time. If any team in the Pac-12 IS RELEVANT, it's Oregon. 

The playoff bid will more likely be in 2022, not 2021. 

• Like 1

To be absolutely blunt... an undefeated USC was NOT going to get into the playoff no matter what in 2020. They failed the eye test. They had to beat ASU (2-2), Arizona (0-5), and UCLA (3-4) in the last minutes of the game in order to win. If anyone watches those game winning drives they saw there were some incredibly lucky bounces the ball took.

If USC made the playoff they would have fully embarrassed themselves.

Edited by David Marsh
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

They failed the eye test.

An inside look at a member of The Committee 

giphy.gif

I won't disagree that the pac 12 is irrelevant -atleast in regards to national media the playoffs but his point is completely off. We are Irrelevant because we have the worst media deals(and have for a decade). We are irrelevant because as a conference we can not produce an undefeated team(or one loss). we are Irrelevant in part to the decline membership of High School football participation in the west coast. 

His point of letting Oregon play in the ccg may have some merit, but who is the alternative. Washington was out due to covid, and to play colorado they would have had to have gotten the presidents to vote on the change which also doesn't make sense. 

Agree with David M. Also the only reason Washington was champion was they didn't play us or any away games. Mr Klatt is just 1 of those talking heads. he's the 1 who is irrelevant.

The Pac-12 had a responsibility to follow the laws of the states they are in and to do their best to ensure the wellness of their student athletes and employees. I live in Seattle, and other than about five weeks in June-July, we've been pretty locked down... I know that Oregon and California have been careful, too (the wisdom of that is another topic 🙂 ). It was never reasonable that the Pac-12 was going to be able to have the same flexibility as schools that were in Florida, for example, and blaming them for obeying the law is just stupid.

Given the restrictions they had there this past year--and no different media contracts would have changed that--I don't know what the Pac-12 was supposed to do with its championship game. Wait for UW to get healthy? Not gonna work. Cancel the game? Maybe the best/smartest option, but it wasn't going to help USC make the playoffs. Put Colorado in there instead of Oregon? Another bad option, since it would be ignoring the divisions and putting a non-entity (with one fewer loss than Oregon, but still with a loss) against USC wasn't going to help the perception--beating Colorado wasn't going to get USC in there any more than beating Oregon (or even UW) was, and if Colorado BEAT USC... what then?

The conference did things, IMO, as best they could there. As olcodgerduck said, 2020 was a weird, one-off year.

• Like 1

It’s funny to see people say Oregon had a bad year or a down year and that Oregon’s year was equivalent to having a bad day, sure our play could have been better but if a down year or a bad day equal a Pac 12 championship and a trip to the Fiesta bowl then I’ll take it. All things considered could have been a lot worse.

15 hours ago, 30Duck said:

An inside look at a member of The Committee 

giphy.gif

Totally agree.