Haywarduck

What Do You Think So Far?

After three large tests, and a pretty favorable schedule going forward how does everyone feel about the Oregon Duck Football Program?

I am extremely impressed with what is happening on the field and off. After an expected struggle in Georgia the team has risen up and won a couple big games. Establishing an ability to win on the road in the fashion they did at WSU is huge. Showing there is still magic at Autzen with a win against BYU is also important.

Both the coaches and players seem to be meeting or exceeding pretty high expectations. We don't have a position coach  who has let us down, as it seemed to happen in our recent past. We also have players performing at or above previous levels. Recruiting because of this should continue to be very strong.

We have some tough games going forward, but those are at Autzen. The beav game may set up to be a tough away game, but their lack of depth it shouldn't be too formidable of a game.

All we really need to do is be careful about the unexpected speed bump. The WSU game seem to show this program can rise up, so I feel good going toward the Championship game.

I don't mean to get too far ahead of ourselves, but with Arizona this Saturday, it seems appropriate for at least the fans to do just that. 

These are some small items for the Lanning Program to tighten up, but so far Lanning continues his honeymoon period for me, you?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

After three large tests, and a pretty favorable schedule going forward how does everyone feel about the Oregon Duck Football Program?

I am extremely impressed with what is happening on the field and off. After an expected struggle in Georgia the team has risen up and won a couple big games. Establishing an ability to win on the road in the fashion they did at WSU is huge. Showing there is still magic at Autzen with a win against BYU is also important.

Both the coaches and players seem to be meeting or exceeding pretty high expectations. We don't have a position coach  who has let us down, as it seemed to happen in our recent past. We also have players performing at or above previous levels. Recruiting because of this should continue to be very strong.

We have some tough games going forward, but those are at Autzen. The beav game may set up to be a tough away game, but their lack of depth it shouldn't be too formidable of a game.

All we really need to do is be careful about the unexpected speed bump. The WSU game seem to show this program can rise up, so I feel good going toward the Championship game.

I don't mean to get too far ahead of ourselves, but with Arizona this Saturday, it seems appropriate for at least the fans to do just that. 

These are some small items for the Lanning Program to tighten up, but so far Lanning continues his honeymoon period for me, you?

The Duck have proven themselves to be rather undisciplined, and if that is not quickly corrected, will cost us at least two games.

"... but their (Oregon State) lack of depth it shouldn't be too formidable of a game."

When playing @ Oregon State, over the last 10 meetings we've had in Corvallis, we've gone 5-5... and some of those losses have been against some rather crummy Oregon State teams. This year, on the right day, Oregon State could beat anybody in the Pac-12 as evidenced by how they took USC to the wire. To underestimate this game would be a huge mistake.

And while on paper we should crush Arizona, our last two meetings down in Tucson have resulted in two losses against a very inferior team.

Undisciplined teams have a way of losing games they should win. Hopefully we clean things up quickly before we arrive in Tucson this week.

And after playing 5 years of college football and still throwing deep into double coverage, I have no idea what it's going to take to break Nix of that problem. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Arizona is the perfect trap game. They throw the ball well and the Duck pass defense is not good. They’re also at home where the last two games against Oregon were won by a combined score of 86-31. Throw in the penalty problems and this has all the makings of a big Arizona win.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, Desert Duck said:

The Duck have proven themselves to be rather undisciplined, and if that is not quickly corrected, will cost us at least two games.

"... but their (Oregon State) lack of depth it shouldn't be too formidable of a game."

When playing @ Oregon State, over the last 10 meetings we've had in Corvallis, we've gone 5-5... and some of those losses have been against some rather crummy Oregon State teams. This year, on the right day, Oregon State could beat anybody in the Pac-12 as evidenced by how they took USC to the wire. To underestimate this game would be a huge mistake.

And while on paper we should crush Arizona, our last two meetings down in Tucson have resulted in two losses against a very inferior team.

Undisciplined teams have a way of losing games they should win. Hopefully we clean things up quickly before we arrive in Tucson this week.

And after playing 5 years of college football and still throwing deep into double coverage, I have no idea what it's going to take to break Nix of that problem. 

Agree, but so far this Lanning team seems to be turning the corner on the outcomes our program expects. The games going forward, this weekend included, will be just tests to see if the early results are sustainable.

Great question about the undisciplined play. Can that be corrected before it costs us a game or too may key players going into tough games. A lack of institutional control can bite you in many ways.

I have been calling out Bo's lack of ability to throw the long ball for a while. That needs to improve, along with a little more conservative running, but he seems to have these traits as basic instincts. Fortunately we have some speedsters, and a long ball interception is much like a punt.

I just think if things stay the same or improve, as Lanning preaches each week, the future is bright, but it won't be easy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"I just think if things stay the same or improve, as Lanning preaches each week, the future is bright, but it won't be easy."

Great comments and I totally 100% agree. I also think coach Lanning more than has the ability to reign in the discipline issues very quickly. I'm hoping and expecting to see a different team in that regards this Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, Desert Duck said:

"I just think if things stay the same or improve, as Lanning preaches each week, the future is bright, but it won't be easy."

Great comments and I totally 100% agree. I also think coach Lanning more than has the ability to reign in the discipline issues very quickly. I'm hoping and expecting to see a different team in that regards this Saturday.

If you had told me a couple months ago we would be where we are today, and the team is showing too much enthusiasm, lacked a bit of discipline, I would say ok, great. 

We haven't reached where we want the Lanning Program to be, but we can see it from here! I would say the foundation is in and the walls are going up. There is still a long way to go, but I am extremely happy with how it looks.

With the last few coaches the foundation and the walls had quite a few inspectors red flagging what they saw, a little construction talk.

• Thumbs Up 3

The problems we have are not because of lack of talent. This team has an opportunity to improve as some of our younger players are getting playing time.

I would be more concerned that the Arizona game is a potential trap if our offense was one dimensional. Oregon’s ability to run the ball opens up opportunities for the passing game and vice versa. Having a QB that may run the ball also creates problems. 

Now that the team has allowed a sack the OL can work on trying to eliminate pre-snap and holding penalties. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm satisfied with where the Ducks are now. They beat what was thought to be a pretty good team in BYU. Handled WSU and the final score with Stanford doesn't really reflect how the game was.

31-3 at the half is impressive and in all their games if the penalties were reduced the scores would be even more lopsided sans the GA game. 

Going forward I feel the ducks could take the P12 title. Some tough games ahead but if DL can keep the team focused in road games it looks like a P12 sweep is in the cards.

I certainly didn't feel this way preseason. I figured at best 9-3 to 8-4.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon had better have their bills facing in the same direction.  This team they should beat and beat soundly  18-22.  Stranger things have happened at the Zona Zoo.  But there is no reason to let them celebrate at the Ducks expense.

The Ducks need the road win and a solid performance back home against #18 Ucla Chip Kelly squad.  Then two road games against Cali and Colo.  Both should be wins with a return to Autzen against Washington.  I see the Ducks at 9-1 when we meet Utah at Auzen.  At least that is My Hope, lots of praying to GOD my Higher Power and my College Fantasy Football Team.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Arizona is the perfect trap game

I agree. But I'm going to believe that helps Oregon in this case. WSU was an impressive road win which should pay dividends later on. The pass defense was actually improved from the WAU game, all the penalties the Ducks accrued put a blemish on their performance.

But throughout the game, it was great hearing the announcers go on and on about how lethal Oregon's offense was, and ii is. Since Georgia the only team to stop Oregon from scoring has been Oregon; take away the penalties from the Stanford game and it's close to EWU. I'm thinking that the lack of discipline is uppermost in Lanning's mind and will be dealt with.

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest complaint, The Defense.  The secondary, we have some great talent in our secondary that seems to play weak.  We have players that are known for their sticking with guys.  We put them in a react mode.  What happened to bumping a guy in his route and leaking off to cover the under area.  Brady Breeze excelled at that when Avalos came in as DC.  We should be hammering teams with our LB's and DB's, yet we give them the underneath areas, 5 to 12 yards passes.

I like when we put the Nick Foles shakes on oppossing QB's when our team attacks.  So eventually, QB's start running for their lives when we get close. . . Wildcat Stew, licking my bill and shaking the tail feathers.  Smack smack.

Valentines Day Love GIF by HBO Max

• Applause 1

Absolutely happy with where we are now.  Pre-season I figured our best case in September was 3-1, worst case 1-3.

Next step beat two teams we should beat.  Checked that box with the Stanford win,  now onto Zona.  Conference road games are always a concern and bad things have happened to us in the desert at night, but that could also be said of the Palouse and we managed to come away with a win there, plus Wazoo is a much better team.  Take care of business and we head into our bye week 5-1 looking good.

As Bellotti used to say, "The games you remember are played in November."  Obviously UCLA will be a very tough game, but regardless our season really boils down to those last three games in November and fortunately we get two of them at home.

If we can shore up our pass defense and get rid of the stupid penalties, then we should finish strong.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As much as I love what Chip has accomplished while part of the Ducks Program, I want to make sure he remembers who got him there.  You can come back here as Much as you would like.  We do not get mad, we just do not let you win against us.  Thanks for coming to Oregon, hope you enjoyed your visit but Do NOT Plan on winning here.

We should never underestimate good old Chip.  The last two times Oregon played his teams, the scores were very close.  At Autzen in 2020 35-38 and at the Rose Bowl in 2021 31-34 both Duck wins.  There is a price Chip must pay for leaving the Flock.  There is no more successes when it comes to Oregon Ducks.

Edited by EzDucksIt
clarify portion of statement
  • Thumbs Up 3

Tucson has been a tough place for the Ducks over the past decade, and I predict it will be no different this year. In spite of the talent imbalance the 'Cats always seem to play up when they face Oregon and 135 yds of dirty laundry might be a game decider. 

The upside is that each game exposes a weakness that needs to be addressed and the following week Lanning gets after it in practice. Each subsequent game has shown significant improvement that seems to stick. We've seen passing defense, edge containment and tackling all improve after a bad outing. Penalties and attitude will be on the agenda for sure, and we can bet DL will hammer it home on the field and in the film room. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning has so far shown the ability to adjust to, and deal with the bumps and pit falls any first year head coach should expect to have.  The trajectory his team has thus far charted towards consistency of play and effort is not unlike any other team under a first year head coach, in fact probably better than most.

He had their unquestioned attention following the Georgia loss, and it showed in the crisp execution, and the regaining of their confidence and swagger. That accomplished, they then seemed to lose that focus and plateaued a bit against Stanford where poorer execution and penalties undermined an otherwise dominate performance against a very good opponent ravaged by injuries.

Figuring out how to shift gears at different points in the season is one of the challenges any first year has to face, and learn how to do in order to regain the focus and attention of his team.

Thus far, I see no reason to think Dan won’t get that done in time for an obvious trap game in the desert, and regain the path he’s charted towards the consistency of play he has targeted.

• Thumbs Up 3

I’m happy so far but trying to get the bad taste of the culture Mc left us and disgruntled players he coached down is hard to turn around. Very few coaches can do it and most of those make millions.

We are very fortunate to have the staff we have at this time and if we can hold them all together for a while the future is bright in Eugene.

P.S. keep on winning games will help tremendously also.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know what I have NOT thought….

That on any ONE play did I wish we had Travis Dye back.

This RB room is legit.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree, but so far this Lanning team seems to be turning the corner on the outcomes our program expects. The games going forward, this weekend included, will be just tests to see if the early results are sustainable.

Great question about the undisciplined play. Can that be corrected before it costs us a game or too may key players going into tough games. A lack of institutional control can bite you in many ways.

I have been calling out Bo's lack of ability to throw the long ball for a while. That needs to improve, along with a little more conservative running, but he seems to have these traits as basic instincts. Fortunately we have some speedsters, and a long ball interception is much like a punt.

I just think if things stay the same or improve, as Lanning preaches each week, the future is bright, but it won't be easy.

I, too, am concerned about Nix’s ability to throw the long ball. But, to me, even more alarming is his decision, twice in the Stanford game, to throw deep into double coverage. Those passes could easily have been intercepted and never should have been thrown.

Decision making has always been an issue with Nix, so that is not likely to change. At some point, it will cost the Ducks, unless Nix cleans it up.

On a more positive note, Bucky Irving looks like the real deal…..he gets to hole fast, and has great instincts, similar to Travis Dye’s.

Bucky has the ability to find a gap and accelerate through, and his lateral movement is impressive.

I think that if the Ducks don’t shoot themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers, they have a legitimate chance to win the north.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a bigger question than you might think. First off, I think Dan Lanning is absolutely not just a home run hire for Our Beloved Duck, he is a GRAND SLAM!!! As a former player and coach (at much lower levels) The things he has done for this program in this short amount of time is almost miraculous. As fans we can take for granted the amount of time a coach actually has to influence a player. Dan has had a very short amount of time to mold these players into the type of players that fit his vision.

Balance that with the time Coach Cristobal had with these players. To instill a mindset that fit his vision. To mold them into the pieces that fit his undisciplined, plodding offense, and his sieve - like defense. Physical, yet injury prone. Tough, but uninspired. 

I don't say these things to disparage coach Cristobal, this is just what I observed. In contrast coach Lanning wants players to be at the forefront of inspired play. This can often be misinterpreted by young people as boastful. (how many of us as young people would have been accused of making wise and calculated decisions) Remember, the vast majority of this roster was not recruited by this staff. It takes at least 3 solid years to fully instill the culture you want to bring to school. And that's if things go perfect. 

The fact that the on field product is so fun to watch is testament to the level of skill of this staff. It feels like it's been forever since we could talk about offensive efficiency while actually holding our heads up. Do I want to see Noah Sewell wiggling his hips after being beaten in pass coverage, only to be saved by a qb overthrow? Of course not! But I can guarantee you, if we hate seeing it coach Lanning and the rest of his staff hate it more. Some aspects of culture can't be instilled in the first year. Some guys just won't buy in. 

Remember in his introduction speech coach Lanning asked us to judge them by what they DO I think what they've done is just this side of amazing. They've also got a long way to go, but they've only been here for 8 or 9 months as a complete staff. The season isn't half over, and if they can continue to get better (which they have consistently done so far) I think this can be a really special season. Not because of their record or accomplishments, but because of what they will learn about themselves and teamwork. About the standard that's already been set for Oregon football. 

Anyways...that's just what I think.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

All those penalties!  To quote Keith Jackson: “Oh My!”  Waaaaaaay too many!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we have also seen Lanning change the shout on the sidelines to focus for the 4th qtr. I look for Lanning and staff to turn boast on the field to be ready for the next play. 

I will say it is harder to turn up the volume on effort and engagement. He has the effort and engagement on the field, he just needs to keep directing it in the way he wants it directed. 

He has the outcome and the buy-in from the players and the fans. I look forward to the next iteration on Saturday. Winning on the road in Pullman and Tucson would be heady stuff for a first time head coach, but I think he can do it.

After the first game against Georgia, I said, here and privately, that I would not be surprised if Oregon went undefeated the rest of the season. So far, so good.

I was pleased with where the team was after week 1 and I am still pleased. I would not be surprised if we are 11-1 going into the championship game. I also wouldn't be surprised if we were 10-2.

I would be very surprised if we weren't seeing this kind of improvement every week.

After what happened against Georgia I'm pretty satisfied with where we are, the offense looks like it's getting back to what Oregon is known for, the defense is a work in progress, I can see how it will be more effective once the players get more experienced.  I'm not as concerned about the penalties as everyone else is, I will get to that point if there isn't an improvement in the next game, we had two poor games in that regard, so if it continues into a third game than I'll start to get annoyed.  

I think we'll lose one more along the way, it's just how it goes usually in the Pac-12, I do feel like the fans are behind the new coaching staff, and it's going to be a positive transition.  I like the way the coaching staff is preforming, I just hope we can keep it together for a few years.  

I think the biggest opponent we have is ourselves. Cure the penalties and stupid mistakes. I do fear if we have to use a backup QB though.