Steven A

New Low for the Portal and NIL ?

WWW.MSN.COM

A new era in college football is here. With the addition of the transfer portal and eligibility rules, we're seeing more and more players move around. Some players are even choosing to sit out...

I think this really reeks of buyer beware at their next stops.  I would not want this metastasis on my team without due diligence.

It would take a rule change at the highest level but the ramification for sitting out with the intention of transferring should be able to result in a loss of scholarship immediately. 

Coaches can't make them play but it's not fair on the team if players want to sit out to transfer. The transfer port needs windows and can't just always be open. 

There are a lot of rule changes that need to take effect. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/4/2022 at 11:58 AM, David Marsh said:

The transfer port needs windows and can't just always be open

Good news, the transfer portal now has windows.  

"The transfer windows, which will go into effect in time for the 2022-23 season, will allow 60 days per year for athletes to enter the portal and maintain immediate eligibility for first-time transfers. For fall sports like football, the period will be split into two periods. The first, a 45-day period, will start the day after championship selections are made. A second window will be instituted from May 1-15 so players can enter the transfer portal after spring camp."

I agree. For players that do this, they should immediately lose their scholarship. 

On 10/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I agree. For players that do this, they should immediately lose their scholarship. 

I would take it further.  I think they should not only lose their scholarship, but they should be booted from the team, and excluded from any team benefits such as weight room and training facilities.  

In my view, sitting is quitting, and quitters should not only get the boot, but they should also ultimately lose that redshirt year they are trying to salvage.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NCAA had better get a handle on this fast.  What's the next step, Unionism?  That could kill the collegiate concept of amateurism - if it isn't already dying.  Who's giving these young men all these dangerous ideas and/or advice, I wonder?

Can't have it a one way street.  So, if a coach sits a player, but the player wants to play, should the player get double his scholarship?  More NIL money?  There are a million different reasons for everybody making their own decisions.  It definitely sucks and can cause issues within the team, but the coaches need to focus on the players that want to play.

If a kid decides to sit out the season, as a coach, I see no reason for him to be at practice.  Deciding not to play has consequences.  Not practicing with the team will hurt the players development.

• Great post! 1

One question is will anybody notice the two players mentioned in the article are sitting out?  Both have appeared in four games, the sophomore receiver has two catches, both in the opener.  The senior safety had three tackles to open the season, a single tackle in game two and no stats since.

I'll guess an early decision to hit the portal happens regularly but isn't verbalized.  We probably have a couple on OBD team.

• Thumbs Up 1

The pendulum is hopefully swinging back towards NCAA and program health, and away from further empowering opportunistic individuals. We need to find a balance between these  two camps. 

IMO, not only should such choices result in the loss of scholarships, but make any future scholarship offers automatically probationary until these players have indicated their further intents.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling