Haywarduck

Anyone Else Miss Mike Leach Sometimes?

Another wedding piece of advice from the one and only.

• Great post! 1

Strange, he livened up the PAC 12, Heck he left his calling card with TT.  Enjoy.

Now this is a Coach I miss in the PAC 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

I miss him like that strange rash that I had in an area…never mind!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not a bit. I always found something creepy about Leach.

• Thumbs Up 3

No. I don't miss him at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

You knew that the trite "coach speak" wasn't going to materialize when Leach was interviewed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope

Hated playing them

He left his starters in and we were ahead by 20+ points? I thought geez, the backups practiced too. Couldn't give them some garbage time?

Plus his tired Pirate shtick never overcame what for me showed he was a mean-spirited bully.

Glad he's gone 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/4/2022 at 8:19 PM, shawnski said:

Nope

...he was a mean-spirited bully.

Glad he's gone 

We have a winner!

• Thumbs Up 1

Like Chip Kelly, he covers his non-people skills with a schtick.  Kelly's quip about Stanford's attempt to slow us down by not cutting their grass, "A school like that you'd think they could afford a lawn mower" is indelibly etched in my forever mind.  But, in the end it is a schtick.  They may not take us to the promised land. But my people rater is based on who I'd like to party with.   These guys rate fairly high........Saban, not as much............Dan Lanning? Rising. Not for his quips, but for his enthusiasm.........

Edited by SmithRiverDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought that Leach would be a joke in the SEC when his hiring was announced. Yet I was wrong. His  teams have consistently been competitive and I actually view my Dawgs visit to Starkvegas in November to be their number 1 possibility for a "trap" game. 

His spread offense has been a challenge for some SEC defensive coordinators. The first time the DAWGS played MSU,  the game became a bit of a shootout. In his first start, J.T. Daniels had to throw for more than 400 yards to subdue the SEC's other bulldogs. 

Yet I can see the sentiment on this tread toward Leach. Some of his antics and comments are a bit  bizarre.

I liked Mike Leach.  

Except when the Ducks were playing his team in Pullman. I liked his candid zaniness.  His irrelevant humor and his general disdain of the press media.  But he could be garrulous at times and I think he liked to pull the media's strings to get attention and to let them know he didn't much care for them.  

It got old after awhile. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was (and am) a big Mike Leach fan!  Granted, I hated playing Wazzu when he was coaching there, but he took the unwashed part of the armpit that is Washington and made them somewhat formidable. 

If I'm being completely honest, I sometimes watch random videos of his interviews just for the humor. His take on which mascots would win in a brawl I find hilarious!

So while I do miss him, I like that he's the SEC's problem now on the field but I still get all the benefit of his humor without the possibility of catching an "L" for the entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 3

I look at it this way:  would I rather listen to an interview with Leach or with a non-personality like Nick Saban?  Leach all day long.

Yeah, he takes it a bit far sometimes, but I love when athletes and coaches let their personality out rather than engaging in cliches and corporate speak.  Plus you have to respect what he consistently managed to accomplish at WSU.  People think it's hard to recruit to Eugene?  Try eastern Washington.

Plus he's a fellow Pepperdine alumnus, so there's that.  😁

Mike Leach can be entertaining.  Mike Leach is a decent at designing X's and O's, getting wins and entertaining the fans.  As mentioned above he is also a bully fired by Texas Tech for alleged player abuse.  He was accused of player abuse while at WSU.

Some years ago I saw a WSU post game interview.  Leach was unhappy with how his OL played so as punishment he made the entire line sit for questioning that was both awkward and painful for both the reporters present and the players.  Willful and premeditated public shaming of 18-22 year old kids that didn't live up to your expectations is not OK in my book.

• Thumbs Up 2

His most well-known remarks...  (Warning...very cringe-inducing)

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Exactly why I liked him.  Now, he's speaking hurtfully (perhaps) to a few who might be sensitive to speech like this but he gets his point across - albeit in a coarse manner.  The 'fat little girlfriends' speech was his attempt to get players to focus on football instead of flattery (and biology).  Good luck with that.

Most wont agree but Leach will win a championship faster than Lanning.

On 10/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I will take that bet.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will take that bet.

$20 But we BOTH have to still be alive 😃

• Haha 2

I won't agree.  Leach is in the wrong conference.  

Ask me who I like as an O.C. better and I'd say "Leach over Dillingham" except for the fact that Mike Leach will never go back to being just a coordinator.  

Leach is a throwback, and most programs would throw him back, many have.

The problem with Leach is he has an edge. When he is pissed that edge is harsh, when he is happy that edge is many times funny. The one thing about Leach is you can always count on him stepping over the edge.

I enjoy him sometimes, when he is happy and funny. The other times he is just a scourge.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I look at it this way:  would I rather listen to an interview with Leach or with a non-personality like Nick Saban?  Leach all day long.

I'll go the other way. Give me Saban's vanilla over Leach's spoiled milk every time. 

• Yikes! 1

In a world of “Coach Platitude” speak,  I like Mike Leach.  For the most part at least.  The bit about elopement is classic Leach.  It can’t be overlooked that his teams are always better than when he arrived.  I dreaded when we played him.  He can often find ways, with inferior talent, to beat his opponents.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 4:49 PM, 30Duck said:

I'll go the other way. Give me Saban's vanilla over Leach's spoiled milk every time. 

An illustration of how different people view different things.  Personally, I find it painful to listen to Nick Saban speak about anything, even tho I know he knows a LOT about football.  I always find listening to Leach entertaining, kinda like waiting for a grenade to go off but without the danger it would pose to anyone but himself.  I'm sending my future son-in-law his advice on weddings...

• Thumbs Up 1

In the terms of this thread, I must prefer a leach interview to a Saban one because I will turn up the volume when The Pirate is speaking but I won't for Saban.

He's like Howard Stern in the 90's:

The number one reason why people who loved him and hated him listened was the same: To see what he would say next.

Saban is a top quality ball coach.  Leach is a damn good college coach who would really prefer to have a late night talk show.  In a past life, he was a carnival barker who also emceed the burlesque show I have no doubt.

• Haha 2

I think Leach could have a future as a tv host... Floor Is Lava, maybe.

Probably TOO colorful for sportscaster.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, woundedknees said:

Probably TOO colorful for sportscaster.

Not at all.  He'd remind me of John Madden, a little bit.  And I bet he'd be popular if he could keep to the subject of football and not go tangentially off target.

How can you not miss the pirate?

cat.gif.9c7fb9c18ca02686541199afdbe5ac6a.gif

But, no. Well, I guess I miss his oddness in the media, but I certainly don't miss OBD defending that offense. 😬

• Applause 3

On 10/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I miss him like that strange rash that I had in an area…never mind!

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Glad to hear that Charles

I hadn't thought much about Mike Leach recently until this posting. Then today I ran across this article and realize I do miss his unique thinking.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated Leach explained that the college football's rules need to be changed to represent

what the sport has become, which is a profession. Leach called for a player draft, salary caps, trades, and for player cuts.

Read about Leach's unique plan to fix college football and the NIL issue below.

WWW.SI.COM

Mike Leach is one of the most interesting men in sports and is always good for an obscure thought

For those who are nostalgic.

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

The Mississippi State head coach also brought back a classic (?) line from his Texas Tech days.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:49 PM, 30Duck said:

Know how late this is, but when Saban talks it’s all careful, controlled, and —  like a lawyer — knows the answer before he asks the question: pure but boring defense. When Leech talks it’s like a guy noodling for catfish or taking a swing at a hornets nest like it was a piñata: pure take my chances offense.

I’ve read Swing Your Sword and seen plenty of his swashbuckling hijinx from behind the microphone. I like his style. I celebrate his entire calendar. His latest bit about eating a fish sandwich under a shade tree is pure gold. Long story short. If missing Mike Leach is wrong then I don’t want to be right.

I will take that bet.

I will as well.., and I don't typically gamble.

Mike Leach certainly helped to make the conference...um, interesting lol. In all seriousness, Leach IMHO was a great hire by Wazzu considering how difficult it can be to recruit players there, and Leach is the consummate "do more with less" coach (other than Kyle Whittingham). His schemes certainly gave Wazzu a fighting chance to win games even against the big boys in and out of conference. I do miss his quips during interviews - very good HC IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone reconsider their take on Leach after all the news out on him? 

I personally am going to miss the guy and the throwback personalities are fewer and fewer. He did have a good heart, just new it took some tough love sometimes, IMHO.

• Applause 1

Really smart and thoroughly funny in a most deadpan way.  I'll miss him and his obscure thoughts on all things not football.  If not a creative genius, very close to it.  RIP coach.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, with all the good and bad about Leach, he sure coached some exciting football, even when I was rooting against him. 

Prayers and peace to his family and friends. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Most wont agree but Leach will win a championship faster than Lanning

I’ll take that bet, too. 

I’ve always felt he was one of the "tuf guys" who mistake their mean streak for real mental toughness and courage. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:01 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I’ll take that bet, too. 

I’ve always felt he was one of the "tuf guys" who mistake their mean streak for real mental toughness and courage. 

You did see the recent headline about Leach, right? 

I do agree one can question his handling of college kids, and safely fall on either side of the fence on the guy. I actually like the guy, even with the occasional questionable judgement issues. He was no Woody Hayes, but no saint either.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

You did see the recent headline about Leach, right? 

That he died, yes. Never thought much of how he treated his players when he was alive, either. 

To answer the original question, Yeah, I do.  

I have a friend who is (was) very fond of Mike Leach and when Leach was coaching at WSU we used to have this friendly rivalry whenever the Ducks played the Cougars.  But it was always tongue-in-cheek because he liked the Ducks too and I liked Mike Leach.  I was really sorry to hear of his passing at 61.  

In my opinion collegiate football, and Life in general, could use more people like Mike Leach.  I reconnected with my friend over this and at least that was a blessing - we hadn't been in touch in several years since his move to Forest Grove.  May Mike Leach rest in place and may his family find some measure of solace this holiday season.

• Thumbs Up 1