FishDuck Article

Deception in the Desert

A good history of the danger, the Ducks face in Tucson!  There has been a lot of craziness in the desert!

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com warns that as history has shown, the Oregon Ducks could be in trouble against the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson.

• Wow 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the warning, Darren!  Here's hoping the coaching staff prepares the team for a successful "desert war".

The continued process of improvement that Coach Lanning emphasizes is important - especially this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

This Duck staff and team feels different than in years past. They seem to be right on the edge of becoming something special.

I felt this way before the season started and that didn't change after UGA. By the end of the year Ducks are going to be a playoff talent. That's not saying they will get in.

Could be wrong but I think Ducks handle AZ with ease.

With hard work and practice, the coaches seem to have them heading in the right direction.  Teachable moments, focus and effort to match the scheme, I have faith.  Never underestimate your opponents will, take the fight to them.  Best of Luck in a hostile environment.  Stay safe and may the Ducks fly to victory.

• Thumbs Up 1

One wouldn't think Arizona would be a challenge, but history proves they always are. Well written, and unfortunately an easily well documented pathogenesis of our nemesis.

Let's hope Lanning is the antigen to the intransigent opponent.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

If Arizona’s defensive weakness is stopping the run, then they will have their hands full with the Ducks offense. 

If the Ducks win the turnover battle in this game, then they win and cover the spread. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks had better have the penalty problem solved.  Nothing kills drives faster than turnovers and penalties.  They can't have either if they want to keep winning conference games, esp. road games like this one in Tucson.  

Anyone know if Justin Flowe will be available?

• Thumbs Up 1

Arizona is a lot better than they have been, and likely will be the best 4-8 team in the country this year.  History says it can be a tough trip for the Ducks, but I just don’t see any way that the Cats can stop Oregon from scoring 40+.  I have watched Arizona and they are just not consistent or talented enough to hang with the Ducks in my opinion.

Another nice article, Darren. Those were some REALLY BAD memories, but excellent reminders of the troubles the Ducks have had with the Wildcats over the years.

I only have one quibble with what you've written. From my perspective, the phrase, "...the legendary Brent Musburger," is an oxymoron. I think it goes back to the guy's coverage of the NBA while constantly referring to Bill Walton as "mountain man."

On the other hand, that 2009 game was one of my all-time favorite Duck games. Thanks for putting in that link.

On 10/5/2022 at 5:48 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks for the warning, Darren!  Here's hoping the coaching staff prepares the team for a successful "desert war".

The continued process of improvement that Coach Lanning emphasizes is important - especially this week.

Yes, we must be prepared! Ya never know what might happen in Tucson.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:06 AM, Log Haulin said:

This Duck staff and team feels different than in years past. They seem to be right on the edge of becoming something special.

I felt this way before the season started and that didn't change after UGA. By the end of the year Ducks are going to be a playoff talent. That's not saying they will get in.

Could be wrong but I think Ducks handle AZ with ease.

Yeah, we struggled early against them last year before putting them away. But, that might have just been Mario-ball at its "finest."

On 10/5/2022 at 6:52 AM, EzDucksIt said:

With hard work and practice, the coaches seem to have them heading in the right direction.  Teachable moments, focus and effort to match the scheme, I have faith.  Never underestimate your opponents will, take the fight to them.  Best of Luck in a hostile environment.  Stay safe and may the Ducks fly to victory.

Well said!

On 10/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, Haywarduck said:

One wouldn't think Arizona would be a challenge, but history proves they always are. Well written, and unfortunately an easily well documented pathogenesis of our nemesis.

Let's hope Lanning is the antigen to the intransigent opponent.

Yeah, it would make more sense in basketball, but nah, they have to be a pain in the ass in football! I think the Ducks will be ready. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:45 AM, Drake said:

If Arizona’s defensive weakness is stopping the run, then they will have their hands full with the Ducks offense. 

If the Ducks win the turnover battle in this game, then they win and cover the spread. 

Ah, turnovers, yes, this is where the Ducks need to be very smart about taking care of the football. Nothing fuels a potential upset more than turnovers. We need good Bo, not bad Bo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:58 AM, Mic said:

The Ducks had better have the penalty problem solved.  Nothing kills drives faster than turnovers and penalties.  They can't have either if they want to keep winning conference games, esp. road games like this one in Tucson.  

Anyone know if Justin Flowe will be available?

Yup, what the hell was going on with all those penalties?! After turnovers, penalties is No. 2 on the Ducks "do not do" list. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Goutes18 said:

Arizona is a lot better than they have been, and likely will be the best 4-8 team in the country this year.  History says it can be a tough trip for the Ducks, but I just don’t see any way that the Cats can stop Oregon from scoring 40+.  I have watched Arizona and they are just not consistent or talented enough to hang with the Ducks in my opinion.

For sure, if the Ducks show up to play they should cruise to victory, let's hope that is the case. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:55 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Another nice article, Darren. Those were some REALLY BAD memories, but excellent reminders of the troubles the Ducks have had with the Wildcats over the years.

I only have one quibble with what you've written. From my perspective, the phrase, "...the legendary Brent Musburger," is an oxymoron. I think it goes back to the guy's coverage of the NBA while constantly referring to Bill Walton as "mountain man."

On the other hand, that 2009 game was one of my all-time favorite Duck games. Thanks for putting in that link.

Well, for good or for bad, he is a legendary announcer. I am a Musburger fan!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hated seeing him get old as he did play by play with Herbstreit in the first Wisconsin Rosebowl game.  It's like watching Lee Corso over the years, loved him putting on the Duck Head, showing up on the Oregon Campus, surely will miss him too.

Espn Oregon GIF by College GameDay

Keep on Keeping On there Lee!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, EzDucksIt said:

Hated seeing him get old as he did play by play with Herbstreit in the first Wisconsin Rosebowl game.  It's like watching Lee Corso over the years, loved him putting on the Duck Head, showing up on the Oregon Campus, surely will miss him too.

Seeing him on TV recently (college game day) it was pretty obvious they rest of the guys (Herbstreit, etc) are kinda carrying him along, watching out for him.  He's not all he once was, that's for sure.  But he was/is so popular that the show, to its credit, didn't want to jettison him.  

But it won't be long before he will have to step off the stage.  I hope he's the one to make the call himself and not force the rest of the staff to do the tough thing.  I'd hate to be the one to tell him it's over.

• Great post! 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:40 AM, EzDucksIt said:

I hate to say it, but Corso has gotten a little painful to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Darren, thanks for all those painful reminders!

(Especially the knee collapse of Nixon) Ouch!!

Actually, I'm glad you pointed these out.

On paper, we should run with ease and contain them. But as you so aptly pointed out, this is Tucson. The ghosts of losses past still lurk.

We conquered the demons of Spokane, and demolished the always troublesome Cardinal, I'm trusting our beloved coach Lanning to have our boys prepared for a desert storm!

I see Lowe was participating in practice yesterday, so hopefully he will be back.

May the spirit of Masoli infect our boys and lead them to victory!

• Applause 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, DanLduck said:

On paper, we should run with ease and contain them. But as you so aptly pointed out, this is Tucson. The ghosts of losses past still lurk.

We conquered the demons of Spokane, and demolished the always troublesome Cardinal, I'm trusting our beloved coach Lanning to have our boys prepared for a desert storm!

I see Lowe was participating in practice yesterday, so hopefully he will be back.

I meant Flowe, Justin.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, Masoli was quite the player in '09, hopefully the Ducks will take care of business

DaniD... I see the spell-check demon's getting you as well:  Nixon?  Lowe?  ((dam_ed spell check)...  I sure hope Lanning & staff don't rely on the sp-ckr when drawing up plans and plays!!  Happens to all of us.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 10/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, Mic said:

DaniD... I see the spell-check demon's getting you as well:  Nixon?  Lowe?  ((dam_ed spell check)...  I sure hope Lanning & staff don't rely on the sp-ckr when drawing up plans and plays!!  Happens to all of us.

Thanks for the understanding. I got fat fingers today. Yes, Dennis Dixon. I loved his play for us that year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh, What could have been, both for Oregon and Dennis.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I hate to say it, but Corso has gotten a little painful to watch. 

Like Willie Mays in the '74 World Series.

• Thumbs Up 1

b4f44cdb300da2fc01eaba0cf347f8bd.jpg

I laughed so hard when I saw this. . .What a tribute to the Duck and Lee. . .Thanks to both, for the memories