Legion

Hypothetically, If Dillingham Were To Leave…

So with Dillingham’s name allegedly emerging for head coaching position (e.g ASU), I was thinking to myself, “who would the Ducks target as their next offensive coordinator?”

I entertained the idea of Mark Helfrich…after all, Chip had such high praise for him as his coordinator. But as I thought about that possibility, it occurred to me that actions do speak louder than words; and old Chip never  did extend an offer for Helfich to assist with the Bruins offense. Additionally, Helfrich’s offensive unit did exactly light it up for the Bears (ranked 29th).

So, who would be a good get if Dillingham moves on?

Kellen Moore? OC for the Dallas Cowboys.

Whoever Lanning wants. The guy has hit it out of the part with every assistant.

I am not worried at all, one bit.

There will also be guys calling to take the job as it is a proven door to the next level.

Also he would be crazy to leave so soon. If there is one way to fail, it is leaving a job so quick. Second, my bet is he will want to stay a couple years at least. Even top assistants at Alabama stick around for a couple years.

• Applause 2

On 10/5/2022 at 4:23 PM, Haywarduck said:

Whoever Lanning wants. The guy has hit it out of the part with every assistant.

I am not worried at all, one bit.

There will also be guys calling to take the job as it is a proven door to the next level.

Also he would be crazy to leave so soon. If there is one way to fail, it is leaving a job so quick. Second, my bet is he will want to stay a couple years at least. Even top assistants at Alabama stick around for a couple years.

Agree.  Nothing craters a career faster than bad decisions.  If he jumps ship after only 1/3rd of a season then proceeds to fumble the next 2 as an HC at ASU, I doubt he gets any good offers afterward.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:05 PM, Legion said:

So, who would be a good get if Dillingham moves on?

In all honesty, probably someone who most of us have never heard of or know very little about.

However, some clues do present themselves such as:  1) which Offensive minds has Dan Lanning's path crossed in his rather brief time (since he's only 36) in this league?  2) of those few, which ones are currently NOT and O.C and would see the move as a promotion?  and 3) Of those even fewer, which ones are probably in their 30's or at most 40's?  

Isay the last because it would seem very awkward for a 36 yr-old HC bossing around a 55-60 yr-old coach with more experience than Dan Lanning's been around. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Applause 1

My thought is that when Dilly leaves it won't be for the quick buck or the bang bang opportunity. I think Dilly has something to prove and views Oregon as the perfect place to prove it.

By the time KD leaves, he will be able to dictate his terms anywhere in the country. I think he believes Ducks are the perfect canvass to create the masterpiece he envisions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, Log Haulin said:

My thought is that when Dilly leaves it won't be for the quick buck or the bang bang opportunity. I think Dilly has something to prove and views Oregon as the perfect place to prove it.

By the time KD leaves, he will be able to dictate his terms anywhere in the country. I think he believes Ducks are the perfect canvass to create the masterpiece he envisions. 

Agreed.  I gotta think being an O.C. for just a very short time period does not exactly qualify one for H.C. duties,  Dilly hasn't been at Oregon long enough to create that kinda of track record, imo.  

Lanning did it quickly, but then Georgia had the best Defense in the country for two straight years running.  Oregon hasn't had the best anything yet for two straight years, let alone the best Offense. Dilly needs more time to prove himself, I think.

But what do I know, really?

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also how many schools can help make a great head coach? Almost all of them try to buy a great head coach, and then grind them into failure. Few programs appreciate the support and things a head coach needs to become successful. 

Brady Hoke proved to be a disaster as a DC, but he is a pretty good head coach. He proved that at Ball State, then SDSU. Michigan hired him and ground him into the ground. They almost did the same to Harbaugh, but stuck with him. Michigan, Nebraska, FSU and many others are just coach grinders. 

The question for Dilly is which school would be a good choice. I am not too sure, especially now with all the craziness of NIL and the 'Portal.' He would do well to stay a while.

On 10/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, ICamel said:

Kellen Moore? OC for the Dallas Cowboys.

Are you suggesting he come to Oregon for lower pay and longer hours? He gets $2M/year just to coordinate Dallas’ offense. No recruiting. Just football. He’s also in line for a NFL HC position. Jerry convinced him to stay in Dallas rather than go to Boise as their new HC. He’s likely been told that he is McCarthy’s replacement should he not work out.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, Log Haulin said:

It seems that this is what Dan Lanning did. DL said he didn't want to just go anywhere. When our AD said his phone was ringing with people wanting the job, I have no doubts that DL called. Look how far he drove to get his first GA job. DL would have been dumb to leave his very nice job in Georgia to rebuild a dumpster fire just because it is a HC job. If KD is as smart as DL he won't just leave for anywhere.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:42 PM, Mic said:

But what do I know, really?

What do any of us know?  We are all just guessing, giving our opinion and enjoying learning from each other.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mic, I think you’re onto something. Lanning has shown the tendency to surround himself with familiarity. 

I'd call Troy Taylor, the HC at Sac State. Take a look at their numbers.

There's a large gap between being a coordinator, and head coach. I don't think Dilly has crossed that gap... In fact, I don't think he's even close.

But, I could be wrong.