Charles Fischer

Dillingham is Reinstalling Parts of the Kelly/Helfrich/Taggart Offenses

My FishDuck Friends, something that made me very excited about the Stanford game was how Coach Dillingham not only pulled out the Counter from the old Taggart playbook, but then did Zone-Reading off them and flipped who follows the pullers, and who would run to the naked (no blocking) side.  (As Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich would do)

Pulling out an old play is a strategy we have not witnessed with the Ducks for six years, and when the OC does that--the opponent is caught off-guard and it creates a ton of yardage.  Then set up constraint plays off the original play, (as Coach Boles showed us today) and you shred them for more.

Another return to the high-scoring days of the past is the Bubble Screen threat you saw in the analysis by Coach Boles.

Bubble Threat Returns.jpg

In the screenshot above, you see the handoff/mesh taking place in the blue circle, but below (red arrow) is the threat of the Bubble Screen. Note how it effectively pulls three defenders out of the box, thus helps the running game.  If that safety (on the yellow 'O' in the screenshot) slides up into the box, then all it takes is one good block and one good open field move for an explosion play from the Bubble Screen threat.

This is underlying stuff that helped those previous offenses run the ball so well and create explosion plays.  I have been stating for years that these plays can still work if executed well, but as you see--it is more than just execution...it is the underlying strategies associated with them as well.

I was critical for "Mari" moving away from what worked for so long, and note that when we begin to adopt those tactics again...what happens?

We score boatloads of points like before.  (Averaging 40 points per game thus far in 2022 including the game vs. Georgia)

God love Dilly.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Smart, there is a treasure trove of great plays in Oregon history. Dilly is the perfect OC to replicate what put Ducks at the center of college football. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taggert offense?  Uhhh... o...k... if you insist!  LOL  😁

(what's his record at Florida Atlantic?)

On 10/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mic said:

When Taggart was at Oregon for one year...in the games Herbert was not hurt, Oregon averaged almost 50 points a game.  Even with the other games, he still averaged more points than Cristobal.  His offense was explosive and we did a number of analysis articles (below) about it. (Arroyo was the OC and Passing Game Coordinator and Cristobal was OL Coach and Running Game Coordinator, although Taggart called the plays)

So yes...I would take his combo Spread/Gulf Coast offense if Dilly ran it.

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer assembled many of the fundamental plays of the Mario Cristobal, Marcus Arroyo and Willie Taggart Oregon Spread Offense to share with fans.

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com has assembled analyses about the Offensive strategies of coaches Mario Cristobal, Marcus Arroyo and Willie Taggart at Oregon.

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer shares analyses created by the coaches at FishDuck.com about the passing game of Mario Cristobal, Marcus Arroyo, and Willie Taggart.

Many believe that Oregon would have done better under Taggart than Cristobal over those four years...

FISHDUCK.COM

These are not two of your favorite people to contemplate right now, but I would ask for your indulgence and fantasizing along with me. I understand how people...

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Put up 69? On Beavus

On 10/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, Log Haulin said:

Put up 69? On Beavus

And Charles set me straight, too.  Funny, I must have washed any memory of Willie's performance right out of my mind!

• Salute 1

No Worries, recent research has him on the hot seat at FAU.  It would appear Lane raised the Bar and set maybe too high of expectations there.  Maybe this will be the year Willies and Jimbo's agent get both his people canned at the same time?  Not likely with Fisher and his $90 Mill guaranteed contract issue at Texas A&M but Miami paid out to Mario, world still seems a lil crazy.

Good morning Charles, it's great to see your analysis! I appreciate your insight as the way you break down and explain plays helps me enjoy watching my Ducks even more!

Go Ducks!!

What's the old saying?  "There's nothing new under the sun..."  Generally attributed to King Solomon.  I guess in many ways it's true, albeit in slightly different forms, even in football.

Are we to think the Kenny D's Offense is actually an amalgamation of several earlier offenses from other teams including OBD themselves?  Apparently so.  This is not to discredit KD's offensive; this sort of thing isn't an easy, no-brainer type of 'cut and paste'.  One has to have a strong grip on the strengths and weaknesses of a team's players and abilities, at the very least, and a like feel for the opponent's.

Charles set me straight on Willie T's offense which I had apparently washed from my mind.  But whomever inspired KD to build his Offense, all I know is it seems to be working, more-or-less, and is exciting and fun to watch.  It will be fun to watch it develop further and iron out details going foreward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great to see the connection from our old offense to the new. I would agree there is very little new, but the one constant is you must execute to make any play work.

I think what we are seeing is, most importantly execution of plays. Dilly is able to get more creative because the base plays are executed. This then allows him to pull more tricks out of the hat.

I look forward to more tricks coming out of the Dilly's hat, and Lanning's willingness to let him go for it. 

When was the last time we had an OC who had the trust and liberty to run an offense? Maybe Chip under Bellotti?

On 10/7/2022 at 7:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

When was the last time we had an OC who had the trust and liberty to run an offense? Maybe Chip under Bellotti?

Dunno the answer to this but I will say that (apparently) Dan Lanning trusts KD to handle the Offense because he has enough sense to know he's primarily a defensive-minded guy now shouldering the Head Coaching duties and is not a micro-manager.  Thank God!

I might also suspect that KD might have made it clear to DL before he agreed to come to Oregon that he wanted a free-hand to run the Offense. With certain limits, of course.  

This makes me wonder if Lupoi has the same freedom on his end?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, Mic said:

Dunno the answer to this but I will say that (apparently) Dan Lanning trusts KD to handle the Offense because he has enough sense to know he's primarily a defensive-minded guy now shouldering the Head Coaching duties and is not a micro-manager.  Thank God!

I might also suspect that KD might have made it clear to DL before he agreed to come to Oregon that he wanted a free-hand to run the Offense. With certain limits, of course.  

This makes me wonder if Lupoi has the same freedom on his end?

Great question, and I think the answer is in the fact Lanning isn't a micromanager. We have a manager of the program, the players, and coaches. He is a  directing manager who sets expectations through actions. 

I think we also see Lanning making adjustments like the change in how the players interact with 'Shout' at the end of the 3rd qtr. These are the kind of actions we see from Lanning, not run this gap, and don't deviate. Now do it again! Run this complex of a defense, even though assignments are being missed. He adjusts, and sets realistic expectations. 

It is fascinating to watch someone who has the ability to lead a program apply that talent, and the development under his guidance, and leadership. It is refreshing and exciting, once again. Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think (who really knows?) that Dan Lanning understands that as Head Coach, he has enough on his plate then to try and manage the Offense (not his specialty) and the Defense as well.  Perhaps this was Mario C's weakness - he didn't understand that and wanted control over everything regardless. 

On 10/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, Mic said:

And Charles set me straight, too.  Funny, I must have washed any memory of Willie's performance right out of my mind!

And Arroyo now has UNLV scoring after a couple of years rebuilding.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:38 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

And Arroyo now has UNLV scoring after a couple of years rebuilding.....

Yeah, because Arroyo was an actual O.C. where as Willie T was the Head Coach.  So, technically speaking, Willie's 'offense' was more a product of his O.C. than himself, perhaps.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Mic said:

Yeah, because Arroyo was an actual O.C. where as Willie T was the Head Coach.  So, technically speaking, Willie's 'offense' was more a product of his O.C. than himself, perhaps.

A ponder point perhaps?

Alliteration always amazes.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Mic said:

So, technically speaking, Willie's 'offense' was more a product of his O.C. than himself, perhaps.

Mic, I think you are guessing on that? 

Again, Coach Boles and I did extensive research on Taggart and his offense at South Florida when he came here, and I linked all the articles (above) yesterday.  The offense of Taggart was one he created, (and he was criticized for being too "hands-on" at the time) and it was a combination of the original Oregon Spread, his Gulf Coast offense that included the Counter play and a little bit of Pistol that Cristobal wanted.

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com introduces the Oregon Football Analysis Library of over 280 Analysis articles created on FishDuck.com over many years.

Mr. FishDuck

The Taggart offense had some good stuff in it... the problem is/was that the playbook wasn't that deep. "Lethal Simplicity" can be effective but the problem was that his offense was far too simple and easy to figure out. Each play doesn't inherently have a lot of depth to it.

On the flip side Mike Leach's air raid offense is actually shockingly simple in terms of number of plays but it is executed at such a high level and has so many threats and different focuses in each play that it can be killer. Though... again the problem with Leach's offense is that if teams have longer than a week to prepare for it they can do a lot better job figuring it out and can counter it pretty reliably.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Mic, I think you are guessing on that? 

FishDuck.com over many years.

Well, yes - if only because I don't think (another guess) Willie was as interfering in the Offense as someone like Mario C seemed to be.  So, it would make some sense to think his O.C. was more than a little responsible for how the offense was run.

This might make for an interesting research subject someday for someone well connected to a university's athletic program:  How much influence does the head coach have and/or exert over the O.C and D.C.?  I'd expect it to vary widely from coach to coach, program to program.  That said, we all know who generally gets the credit when things go well and the criticism when they don't: the head coach.

I was TRULY hoping that I would NEVER have to see the names of Helfrich and Taggart EVER again in my life time.  You can't always get what you want.