FishDuck Article

Ducks’ Offense: Is There a ‘Slim Shady’ Attitude at Oregon?

DazeNConfused gives us a recap of the game in the desert.  What do you think of Oregon's explosive offense?

FISHDUCK.COM

Kenny Dillingham the Oregon OC stood up and showed himself to be the real Slim Shady with his mix of play calling. The Ducks offense marched...

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Fun, fun, fun!  Entertainment for long starved Oregon fans.  Surgical and unpleasant for Defensive Coordinators.

Kenny Dillingham is a gunslinger.  Deadly!  The talent Oregon has recruited now has a gifted Coach with a green light to carve up a defense.

Kudos to Coach Lanning and his entire staff!  In his after game comments he said, "And if we see a wart, we want to go fix it.". No more post game "coach speak" we used to get.  Actions speak louder than words!

DazeNConfused, your articles never disappoint.  Well done sir!

• Thumbs Up 3

Nice recap DZNC...thanks for writing it up!

I lean War Pigs reference myself.....in case you're doing a survey.  Music with instruments is a plus for me.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 6:54 AM, Smith72 said:

Fun, fun, fun!  Entertainment for long starved Oregon fans.  Surgical and unpleasant for Defensive Coordinators.

Kenny Dillingham is a gunslinger.  Deadly!  The talent Oregon has recruited now has a gifted Coach with a green light to carve up a defense.

Kudos to Coach Lanning and his entire staff!  In his after game comments he said, "And if we see a wart, we want to go fix it.". No more post game "coach speak" we used to get.  Actions speak louder than words!

DazeNConfused, your articles never disappoint.  Well done sir!

Here is a quote from Zona HC Jedd Fisch that goes to the point of Dilly carving them up. 

“I think what you can see while it was happening live and I’m sure we’ll see it on film, what they do a really good job of is kicking the ball out. So if you sellout inside they do a really good job on the perimeter, perimeter screens, bubble passes and then what happens is you start cheating up, cheating up, cheating up. They hit two big explosive passes over the top, those were really you’re trying to sell out to stop the run and that’s what happens."

What he is talking about is the Dilly scheme that Bo Nix is executing with his pre-snap reads. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Your most interesting observation was the reference to our next opponent. A 'Chip Kelly Era performance,' putting the game away early.

I would say we actually have a Dr. Doom in the booth. An evil genius who opponents have no chance against.

Our Super Villain is Dr. Dilly Doom and UCLA has Chip Luthor CEO of ChipCorp.

Fortunately we have Superman as our Head Coach. Luthor has no chance, as Dr. Dilly and our Boy Wonder who is acting like Superman will annihilate the evil traitor from down south.

We will welcome Chip Luthor back to Smallville October 22nd. Our legion of superheroes will be ready!

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Halfway through the second I realizes that Dilly, Nix and the entire offense were in complete control.

From that point on I was able to relax and really enjoy what I was seeing. I don't know that I have ever watched an offense perform so beautifully. Not even Chips.

This Duck team is good, really  good. The Defense is starting to catch up too. When that happens, look out.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, Log Haulin said:

Halfway through the second I realizes that Dilly, Nix and the entire offense were in complete control.

From that point on I was able to relax and really enjoy what I was seeing. I don't know that I have ever watched an offense perform so beautifully. Not even Chips.

This Duck team is good, really  good. The Defense is starting to catch up too. When that happens, look out.

I'm with ya on this Log Haulin - but I'm wondering how much of this was due to a vastly out-matched Arizona team who, coming off a big win against the worst team in the league was way over-confident, thinking they were a lot better than they were?  This includes Jedd Fisch and his staff.  We can't ever know for sure but I'd say they were thinking DeLaura and co. would be putting up scores and stats similar to last week. 

Then the cold water hit 'em in the face.

Also, that unforced error (fumble) on the 11-yd line was perhaps the biggest play of the game for Arizona.  That hurt them and their confidence at just the right moment, snatching away the whole reason why they opted to take the kick after winning the toss. Fisch hoped they would get out on top of the Ducks and make Oregon play from behind.  

As it happened, it made the rest so much easier for the much better team to crush 'em.  Good things happen to good teams.

• Thumbs Up 2

For all the analysis, this is what stood out for me:

"This Dillingham offense is fun for Duck fans to watch."

Truer words were never spoken. 🙂

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This offense may have more A gamers at every position than I've ever seen. That includes the coaching staff. The D is also quietly catching up with the O.

If this rate of weekly growth continues, it might not matter if UCLA or Utah bring their A games. Those Sparky roasted fuskies don't even make it into this conversation.

I am grateful to Dazed for an article that gives us entertainment and perspective.  I was sweating it last night as it was getting past 1:00 AM, and the pictures from the photographer I hired in Arizona had not come in yet.  You always hope you made a good choice with who you hired, and it turns out he was awesome.  Lots more pics coming for our writers, and they were the perfect complement to article Dazed gave us. 

Thanks for creating an article late in the evening after a game!

Chase Cota by Joe Jackson Jr..jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The level of FOCUSED effort these guys are showing now is amazing!

Now all we need is a couple key backups to perform similarly...

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

This offense may have more A gamers at every position than I've ever seen. That includes the coaching staff. The D is also quietly catching up with the O.

What is it that Dan Lanning likes to say in his press conferences?  "Iron sharpens iron."   Things might get pretty sharp on the 22nd.  I kinda hope UCLA does bring their A-game and O does too.  Then we will learn who's A-game is really an 'a'-game and who's game is really an 'A'.  Does that make sense?

GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I watched Chips Post game interview after the win against Utah.  Dan Lanning is the perfect coach for the Ducks.  I did not realize how snarky Chip came off as to some.  I felt a little uncomfortable listening to him rather than be above some of the media.  Lanning reps his team, coaches and players well, something to aspire to moving forward.

While it will be nice to see Chip bring his Bruins to Eugene, I hope he returns to LA with a little regret of what could have been.  And may the DUCKS keep giving him a repeat performance for a LONG TIME.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Haha 1

Bo Nix is Oregon’s best QB they have fielded since Marcus Mariota and Justin Herbert.

After reading this, something struck me...what do we think Dillingham could have done with Anthony Brown at the helm?

Don't get me wrong here, I think Nix has been marvelous thus far and he's really a true dual-threat, but Brown was a great runner and still threw a fairly pretty deep ball.  I'm not saying Brown was as good as Nix at all, but what I AM trying to get out of you all is how far do you think Dillingham could have taken us with AB at the helm?  His system is great and the play calling has been fabulous!  Is Dillingham talented enough to have won the PAC-12 with AB leading the charge?

Please let me know what you think!

On 10/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, Wrathis said:

Bo Nix is Oregon’s best QB they have fielded since Marcus Mariota and Justin Herbert.

After reading this, something struck me...what do we think Dillingham could have done with Anthony Brown at the helm?

Don't get me wrong here, I think Nix has been marvelous thus far and he's really a true dual-threat, but Brown was a great runner and still threw a fairly pretty deep ball.  I'm not saying Brown was as good as Nix at all, but what I AM trying to get out of you all is how far do you think Dillingham could have taken us with AB at the helm?  His system is great and the play calling has been fabulous!  Is Dillingham talented enough to have won the PAC-12 with AB leading the charge?

Please let me know what you think!

Impossible to know for certain.  

What I see as Bo Nix's best attribute is his competitive spirit, his will to win.  Lanning's had to harness that somewhat because it's also why Bo sometimes makes a poor decision - trying to force things because he wants to win so badly.  It's also what drives him to throw his body into the fray to get that win.  110% effort on every play.

My memory of Anthony Brown is dimming but he certainly had tons of ability, both throwing and running, like Nix.  Did he have that near unquenchable thirst (or need) to win?  He seemed fearless.  He didn't show any reluctance to run when things unraveled or when the play called for it.  But was that spirit as strong in him as in Nix?

Impossible to know.  So, as to how he would have done under Dilly's offense we can only speculate.  I think pretty well because of similar gifts and talents.  Maybe better.  Maybe not.  I've often thought about how Justin Herbert would have done.  Same answer.    Impossible to know for certain.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, Wrathis said:

After reading this, something struck me...what do we think Dillingham could have done with Anthony Brown at the helm

Hahahahahaha.. That's been an article topic I haven't written that's been on my mind for a minute. I just posted this same thing in the Mario round peg square hole thread about the OL.

How much better would AB and our offense have been under Dilly last year and how good would the OL been? 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, Mic said:

Impossible to know for certain.  

What I see as Bo Nix's best attribute is his competitive spirit, his will to win.  Lanning's had to harness that somewhat because it's also why Bo sometimes makes a poor decision - trying to force things because he wants to win so badly.  It's also what drives him to throw his body into the fray to get that win.  110% effort on every play.

My memory of Anthony Brown is dimming but he certainly had tons of ability, both throwing and running, like Nix.  Did he have that near unquenchable thirst (or need) to win?  He seemed fearless.  He didn't show any reluctance to run when things unraveled or when the play called for it.  But was that spirit as strong in him as in Nix?

Impossible to know.  So, as to how he would have done under Dilly's offense we can only speculate.  I think pretty well because of similar gifts and talents.  Maybe better.  Maybe not.  I've often thought about how Justin Herbert would have done.  Same answer.    Impossible to know for certain.

Brown was good his last year at BC. But he struggled last year and was slow or missed reads last year.

TVD is doing the same this year at Miami. The route trees are different. Both QBs did better with schemes put guys more in space to deeper parts of the field where they could make throws. Mario has route trees with 3 guys running a 10-yard turn around with a 2-yard cross under that. There is a lot more congestion. 

AB and TVD read faster and throw better into a route not congested, as most would

Just how good is the offense right now?  The most telling stat to me is that the Ducks have scored TDs on 7 straight possessions in 2 games already this season.  That is just flat out insane.    

I wonder when was the last time that happened prior to this year?  Not sure how to look that up, but I am guessing that it is a pretty rare occurrence.  My gut says that Chip's teams probably did it a few times.  

IMHO We lost last year due to critical and devastating injuries especially on defense. 

We had to play multiple walk-ons and freshman. Our LB, WR, RB, TE, S lost some of their best players for the season. Our OL never started the same line up the whole season.

The stress of seeing this occur took away a promising season for the players and coaches starting from the Stanford game on.

When the fans booed in the Cal game it was basically over. After watching TT this year do you feel the same about the coaching staff not putting him in the game. I do not. 

You can't and won't beat the best teams in  situations like that no matter who the coaches are.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:32 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I wonder when was the last time that happened prior to this year?  Not sure how to look that up, but I am guessing that it is a pretty rare occurrence.  My gut says that Chip's teams probably did it a few times.  

Chip's team?  Maybe.  I can't recall that either.

What I was so impressed by was the reaction by center Alex Forsyth when he was asked about it. (We had it on the blog a day or two ago, somewhere.)  He replied that he hadn't really thought about it because he was too immersed in the game (focused) with the task at hand to have thought about it.

That's Dan Lanning's impact on this team. We also saw it in the noticeable decrease in self congratulatory antics after a big play by a number of the Ducks including Kris Hutson, Chase Cota, Troy Franklin, Noah Whittington and (my favorite) Bucky Irving. Celebration, yeah, but much more subdued and respectable.

Guys, these are just my opinions.  I don't ever mean to sound like I have the 'scoop' or I know more than others because I certainly do not.  Forgive me if I ever come across like that.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 12:52 PM, Duck 1972 said:

IMHO We lost last year due to critical and devastating injuries especially on defense. 

We had to play multiple walk-ons and freshman. Our LB, WR, RB, TE, S lost some of their best players for the season. Our OL never started the same line up the whole season.

The stress of seeing this occur took away a promising season for the players and coaches starting from the Stanford game on.

When the fans booed in the Cal game it was basically over. After watching TT this year do you feel the same about the coaching staff not putting him in the game. I do not. 

You can't and won't beat the best teams in  situations like that no matter who the coaches are.

Interestingly enough, Miami is having those same injury issues right now.  I wonder if the strength and conditioning / practice routine under the previous staff had an impact on the number of injuries or if it is just a coincidence.   

Could be 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:32 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Interestingly enough, Miami is having those same injury issues right now.  I wonder if the strength and conditioning / practice routine under the previous staff had an impact on the number of injuries or if it is just a coincidence.   

The Injury gods are fickle and there never seems to be a way to predict them.  But you might be onto something because something's changed, thru the first 6 games this season.  Injuries are still happening but at a greatly reduced rate, so far.  Fingers crossed.

We all remember that disaster of a strength & conditioning coach Willie Tagger foisted on us, letting our long-time, world-class trainer go for a 'pig in a poke' who eventually got fired.  So maybe there's something to what you're inferring or thinking here?