Ducko

What is the Issue With Ty Thompson?

I am a big believer in Ty Thompson but he has really struggled when they put him in.  Any thoughts on why?

My only concern for this team is back up QB. I like TT but haven't seen anything on the field that says QB2 to me. I think they should give Butters some snaps to see what he's got.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 10/9/2022 at 9:32 AM, Ducko said:

I am a big believer in Ty Thompson but he has really struggled when they put him in.  Any thoughts on why?

Yeah.  

My thoughts are how in the world did this young man rate 5-stars?  Also, are we to think that he's better than Butterfield if this is how he looks?  And how does he 'look'? Like he's scared to death out there.  But this is just me, probably.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ty isn't Dillys recruit first off, Donte Moore coming in next year is Dilly's QB recruit

Second, he isn't impressing in the least bit. One has to think he has looked better in practice than the games. 

With what Dilly has done guiding Bo Nox to making a solid jump in his level of play, Dilly has some currency as a QB whisper. 

I would not be surprised if Nix goes to the NFL if Dilly brings in another Vet QB transfer to fill the gap until Moore is ready to take over as QB1.

Putting all the QB eggs in Ty's basket doesn't look smart, and if he is ahead of Butters in the Coaches eyes.. well, that's a worry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Ty and Butters gone next year and a new transfer QB come in. I even wouldn't be surprised if both were told a Vet transfer QB was going to be brought in and if they don't like it, they can hit the portal.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ty does not have the "it" factor, IMHO.

Oregon Football Quarterback Ty Thompson Reflects on Collegiate Debut  Against Stony Brook - Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and  More

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I like Nix running head first and throwing blocks for his RB's, and he's a tank...just don't get hurt or we may be hurting.  TT may do better with the 1's if he gets thrown into the fire that way, but I also hope Nix stays one more year to allow Moore a season without pressure to get ready for D1. 

Nix could really prove he's NFL ready with one more season, and another year of great recruiting (with an uptick even, as hopefully kids see how good this program is going to be, and how well these assistants coach kids up) will give Moore and a ton of talent on both sides of the ball a chance to make a legit run at a Natty.

Is it understanding the playbook or just lack of confidence in himself? Bo has shown star power this year. Maybe TT is watching Bo and it puts added pressure to perform.

I don't know what it is. He doesn't look good. Hope he gets it figured out, I like the kid.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:46 AM, Mic said:

Yeah.  

My thoughts are how in the world did this young man rate 5-stars?  Also, are we to think that he's better than Butterfield if this is how he looks?  And how does he 'look'? Like he's scared to death out there.  But this is just me, probably.

No, it’s not just you. The kid is uncomfortable, lacks confidence, and yes, he appears scared to death.

He may have a big arm, but there are lot of QB’s with big arms that turn out to be flops. He’s trending that way.

Butterfield needs to see the field. He deserves a shot. With Nix running as much as he does, the possibility of injury is a concern. The Ducks need a reliable backup and Thompson clearly is not the guy.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I would not be surprised if Nix goes to the NFL if Dilly brings in another Vet QB transfer to fill the gap until Moore is ready to take over as QB1.

Given the way Nix is playing right now (and, he looks to be a durable guy) I can't see any reason in the world why Oregon would bring in another transfer and risk Nix leaving.  Now, if Nix says he's leaving (likely) then maybe O does the transfer thing again (ugh!).  

I'm really hoping for one more year with Nix and whether or not Moore commits to Oregon, Lanning and Dillingham will have another QB ready to go in '24.  (Assuming they're both still here, DL & KD).  It might be anyone, Moore, Thompson (not likely, imo) or _____?

It's really odd; he looks absolutely lifeless and uninterested on the field. His body language says he's just going through the motions. I don't think I've ever seen a quarterback who looks so uninvolved and lacking in any kind of spark. I just don't get what I'm seeing.

If anything happens to Nix, we are screwed.

Edited by jrw
  • Oh no! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, Log Haulin said:

Is it understanding the playbook or just lack of confidence in himself? Bo has shown star power this year. Maybe TT is watching Bo and it puts added pressure to perform.

I don't know what it is. He doesn't look good. Hope he gets it figured out, I like the kid.

We all like him.  But we all want to see him do something with the little playing time DL is giving him!  I'll bet DL & KD are just as stumped as we are.

TT nearly gave up a pick six on a terrible decision to  throw a swing pass to the running back in the backfield that was already being swarmed. The fact that he had no situational awareness on that play really concerned me.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

TT nearly gave up a pick six on a terrible decision to  throw a swing pass to the running back in the backfield that was already being swarmed. The fact that he had no situational awareness on that play really concerned me.

If I had to hazard a guess right now, I'd say that he "appears" to have already made his decision either:  a) he's never gonna equal the play of Bo Nix and has lost all confidence in himself, or b) he's already thinking about which team he's going to transfer to.

I kinda think it's 'a' because if he wants another team to be interested in him transferring he has to start showing them why they should be.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2022 at 9:32 AM, Ducko said:

Let me start by saying I am not a quarterback developer or whisperer of any kind (unless you count coaching up kids in youth football...that 5/6 grade team we had could beat anybody...at the 5/6 level). 😆  At any rate, these are my observations:

1.  TT has changed his physique tremendously since arriving at Oregon.  If you saw any of his HUDL videos, he did not have the muscle mass that he has now.  

2.  His throwing motion is being honed as well, more fluid and compact..

3.  It takes time for a combination of more muscle mass and change in throwing mechanics to become natural.

4.  He is not being asked to improvise or read a defense when he goes in.  He runs the play provided just to get the reps.

When I watched his high school highlights, TT exceled at improvising.  When you are that great of an athlete in high school, you can get away with that.  At the college level, you may/will be facing kids that are as talented as you and your improv doesn't have the same effect.  I think what we are seeing is the coaching staff getting him used to being comfortable in running set plays and not constantly looking to take off and improvise.  That will be needed at times, but he has to get used to reading a defense based on the play call and deciding that yep, I'm sticking with it or no it's time to run something else.

Add in that he is on a second coordinator and is continuing to learn Dilly's system.  Is he ready to replace Bo, no he isn't. 

I had to agree with the announcing crew yesterday when they were talking about DTR's development.  He is playing at a very high level right now and that is due to learning the system and being patient.  The DTR now is nothing like the DTR several years ago who could single handedly win/lose several games.

The big question is if TT will be patient enough with the system and not immediately decide to transfer.  If he stays, he WILL be that tremendous QB that we all think he can be.  I firmly believe that the growth we will see in him from this year to next will be exponential.  All you have to do is look at the difference in Bo.  

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Let me start by saying I am not a quarterback developer or whisperer of any kind (unless you count coaching up kids in youth football...that 5/6 grade team we had could beat anybody...at the 5/6 level). 😆  At any rate, these are my observations:

1.  TT has changed his physique tremendously since arriving at Oregon.  If you saw any of his HUDL videos, he did not have the muscle mass that he has now.  

2.  His throwing motion is being honed as well, more fluid and compact..

3.  It takes time for a combination of more muscle mass and change in throwing mechanics to become natural.

4.  He is not being asked to improvise or read a defense when he goes in.  He runs the play provided just to get the reps.

When I watched his high school highlights, TT exceled at improvising.  When you are that great of an athlete in high school, you can get away with that.  At the college level, you may/will be facing kids that are as talented as you and your improv doesn't have the same effect.  I think what we are seeing is the coaching staff getting him used to being comfortable in running set plays and not constantly looking to take off and improvise.  That will be needed at times, but he has to get used to reading a defense based on the play call and deciding that yep, I'm sticking with it or no it's time to run something else.

Add in that he is on a second coordinator and is continuing to learn Dilly's system.  Is he ready to replace Bo, no he isn't. 

I had to agree with the announcing crew yesterday when they were talking about DTR's development.  He is playing at a very high level right now and that is due to learning the system and being patient.  The DTR now is nothing like the DTR several years ago who could single handedly win/lose several games.

The big question is if TT will be patient enough with the system and not immediately decide to transfer.  If he stays, he WILL be that tremendous QB that we all think he can be.  I firmly believe that the growth we will see in him from this year to next will be exponential.  All you have to do is look at the difference in Bo.  

I think in Tyler mind he is a Duck. I don't see him transferring next year. Difference between DTR and TT is playing time. If Tyler doesn't get it next year he will move on.

On 10/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

If he stays, he WILL be that tremendous QB that we all think he can be.  I firmly believe that the growth we will see in him from this year to next will be exponential.  All you have to do is look at the difference in Bo.  

I'm happy that you can still see the glimmer of potential in this young man.  We all wanted that for him so bad and still do.  But... he has to start showing us that it's there.  Or, more importantly, he has to start showing the coaches it's there.  

None of those reasons you cited above can account for him looking like he just saw Godzilla approaching when he takes the field.  KD has a system installed that requires the QB to function a specific way within that system.  TT really needs to show everyone he understands that system and is willing/able to execute it.

In all fairness, he hasn't.  Not yet.

• Applause 1

He was 3 for 5 yesterday, thats better than in the past.

• Yikes! 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Mic said:

In all fairness, he hasn't.  Not yet.

Have to agree with that. We see only what happens in games, not at practice, but games are what counts.

It's been a couple of years, and sadly I just don't see it happening with Thompson.

• Applause 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, jrw said:

Have to agree with that. We see only what happens in games, not at practice, but games are what counts.

It's been a couple of years, and sadly I just don't see it happening with Thompson.

Well, not yet, certainly.  Here's to hoping we're wrong - and the young man springs into action with the skill and talent we all hoped was there!  I'm trusting DL & KD to know for sure what to do with him and I am personally ready to admit I was wrong (!) the moment he shows up for action.

• Let’s hope! 1

He is not very good.

I remember reading the glowing reports coming out of the Manning Camp this summer and reading how great TT was doing.

Like many of you, my hopes for TT were high coming into fall camp. However, I have come to the conclusion that we need to move on.

I think his is a confidence issue and that is hard to overcome as there are pressure games every week. Maybe he would do better at 

a school better suited for him.

We are at the middle of the season and we still don't have a legitimate QB2. Let's see what Butters has. I was really disappointed he didn't

get a chance last night. Can he be any worse that TT? It is hard to imagine, but if he is, these coaches are going to have to hit the portal

for next year if Bo leaves for the NFL.

I hope Bo stays another year to let Dante Moore mature to start the following year, hopefully he will be ready by then. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Four quick observations on this continuing topic:

1. Thompson is being asked to run an offense in garbage time whose main purpose is to avoid running up the score on opponents. I admire Coach Lanning's sportsmanship, but it is hard for Thompson and his teammates to make much of an impression doing this. 

2. Carm25 is right to caution us drawing conclusions about Thompson's demeanor from a distance. Dennis Dixon looked confused (but not dazed!) for several years, then began playing at a high or even Heisman level as a senior before his injury. Not everyone needs to be Tim Tebow. Introverts can succeed, if they can play the position. 

3. An article I read about six months ago (perhaps linked here) stated that the star grades given to high school QBs are based almost entirely on "measurables" such as arm strength and foot speed. What is not assessed, at least not with much precision, are factors such as the ability to read defenses and to throw accurately. Given the importance of these abilities in QB performance, I suspect that the Oregon fans' expectations about Ty Thompson may have been somewhat unrealistic. 

4. Of course, I do not watch the practices. That said, Butterfield looked very good during the spring game. He was a four star recruit, with respectable arm strength and some mobility in the pocket, whose father was a coach. He also seems to have an excellent rapport with Bo Nix.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm giving Ty a little space here. My feeling is that if something were to happen to Nix we would see a different Ty.

Ty would spent a week running with the first team offense, maybe with a little slimmed down version of the offense and with the coaches confidence behind him.

We would be surprised at how good he has suddenly become. 

We have seen him a few times now when the game is over, but the last few minutes have to be run out. How emotionally pumped up would you be?

Certainly not wishing anything bad for Bo, but he were to be out for a game or two and Ty got a chance to be QB1 just for a week or two, I think we would see a different player.

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bo Nix is getting ready to lead a team to a win. The difference with Ty is he is getting ready to lead mop up time. I would agree he isn't getting up for that opportunity. 

I do wonder what Ty would look like if he was getting ready to start. I also wonder what Ty would be like if he was put in needing to perform to save a game. 

Right now I will agree he doesn't look good getting ready to lead mop up time. He needs to up his readiness for whatever comes his way, because he doesn't know what that will be.

When he looks like he does I, like many, wonder what Butters might look like. 

• Great post! 1

TT is a talented athlete. The biggest question is whether he has the aptitude to lead a team as QB1 into the top ten college football rankings? I think that is the expectation of 5* QB recruits. 

Perhaps with a few years of starts he could grow into that guy.

However, this team is currently winning and has the potential to crack the top 10 after their disappointing start. The coaches, and players know they still have room to improve. 

The remaining schedule is going to be difficult to finish unscathed. Not much opportunity remains to develop a struggling QB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some players look amazing in practice and then there are gamers.  I’d like to see what Butterfield can do because he looked good in the spring game. He deserves a shot and I’d be bummed to see him transfer from Oregon without seeing what he could do on the field. 

I’ve never been a fan of the other QB. He has a strong arm but he looks like a deer in the headlights come game-time and makes questionable decision and questionable decision.

• Applause 2

On 10/9/2022 at 12:39 PM, OhioDuck said:

I'm giving Ty a little space here. My feeling is that if something were to happen to Nix we would see a different Ty.

I said something like this earlier this week.  Maybe (?) TT would look different if he were to be injected into the game where it was actually hanging in the balance and O needed him to perform!

But the more I watch him the more I'm not so sure he could do it.  He looks frightened out there to me.  Like he feels he just stepped off the HS field and straight on to the collegiate field.  I sure hope I'm wrong and you're right because Oregon might just need him to step up.  He needs to be ready and confident in his own abilities.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Jay Butterfield would do extremely well in the Jonathan Smith offense at Oregon State.  I would like to see if he can run an offense while he is here before helping them...

Why staying to compete for Oregon Ducks' starting QB job was important to Jay  Butterfield - oregonlive.com

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, OregonDucks said:

Some players look amazing in practice and then there are gamers.  I’d like to see what Butterfield can do because he looked good in the spring game. He deserves a shot and I’d be bummed to see him transfer from Oregon without seeing what he could do on the field. 

I’ve never been a fan of the other QB. He has a strong arm but he looks like a deer in the headlights come game-time and makes questionable decision and questionable decision.

Is it a red-shirt issue (Butterfield) or what?  Is Lanning afraid of having to burn his shirt prematurely, I don't know.  I'm not sure where Jay stands on that issue.  Or Ty, for that matter.  Maybe Charles can come to my rescue on this like he as numerous times in the past.

Isn't running it a part of TT's 5 star skill set? What if they just let him run a few designed keepers to get mojo going? A couple 15 yard scampers and maybe some simple short passes open up. Give him two or three going for the end zone  drives and then hand it off to Jay for hand off duty.

I think they need to put him out there on a mission to score and develop a killer instinct. TT may be called upon to save the season. He'll need to ready. And if he's not the guy, they need to find that out soon and develop Jay ASAP.

• Applause 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:24 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Isn't running it a part of TT's 5 star skill set? What if they just let him run a few designed keepers to get mojo going? A couple 15 yard scampers and maybe some simple short passes open up. Give him two or three going for the end zone  drives and then hand it off to Jay for hand off duty.

I think they need to put him out there on a mission to score and develop a killer instinct. TT may be called upon to save the season. He'll need to ready. And if he's not the guy, they need to find that out soon and develop Jay ASAP.

That's a good point.  I'm not sure he's taken a hard hit yet and maybe that's what the man needs.  Then again, with the 'look' in his eyes of looking like he just saw Godzilla approach, this might not work either.  I just don't know!

Call me old school, but I was taught to take opportunity by the horns and make the most of it.

When Mariota and later Herbert were given an opportunity, their was an immediate buzz.

I see a man who has spent countless hours as a Duck that seems to be going through the motions...and not very well at that.

I haven't seen any extra effort after he hands the ball off. DO something!

Fake like you still have the ball and run the other direction. Put your body in front of a defender. Push the back forward. Do almost anything but stand and watch.

You have to practice like you plan to play and Garbage time is when you show how you will play when every play counts.

I'm convinced if Bo can't play, it's going to be a Lockie/Burmeister show. 

If Ty is skilled enough to start, he needs to grab the bull by the horns and start balling out because time is ticking.  And opportunities do not come around often.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

As mentioned by one person previously, Ty Thompson is not put in a position to thrive.  I believe he threw the ball past the line of scrimmage once on the offside play?  He hasn't looked great, but he is playing with the 2nd or 3rd string.  If Nix comes back, he is gone I think.  If Nix leaves he might come back to compete against Moore.

Ty has the look of a young man who has made up his mind to leave as soon as possible.  

We have another QB stud coming in, and one already here, so I think he has done the math. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1

On 10/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, Tandaian said:

As mentioned by one person previously, Ty Thompson is not put in a position to thrive.  I believe he threw the ball past the line of scrimmage once on the offside play?  He hasn't looked great, but he is playing with the 2nd or 3rd string.  If Nix comes back, he is gone I think.  If Nix leaves he might come back to compete against Moore.

I respectfully disagree. 

He's had first team linemen, etc. at times. Yes, he's had some dropped balls, etc. But lack of effort is 100% on him.

I've read a lot of compelling comments in his favor. His actions are not compelling.

I have no doubt he has the "can do". I don't see the "will do". I want him to excel and don't want to keep harping, but this topic keeps coming up and I think it's all on him.

Ty has to quiet the critics. No one can do that for him.

Go Ducks! Go Ty!

• Thumbs Up 1

TT and Butterfield have been victims of the previous three coaches' inability to develop QBs. Dillingham's approach has been a blessing in that he had to have known that TT was not taught much of anything, so I presume he's being coached in practice and then being given game time to get some experience. Yes, TT looks rough and unspectacular, but one of Mario's greatest faults was - and is - an inability to coach and use QBs.

TT is being given the time to learn. I don't expect that Butterfield is in a better spot. It's not an "it" factor. TT just has not been coached until this year. I'm grateful that we have Dillingham on board - a QB coach that can actually teach QB play. TT will come around, but more importantly Dante Moore has a lot to look forward to. It's one thing to be a 5* and another to be coached and taught how to be a QB.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, nw777b said:

I respectfully disagree. 

He's had first team linemen, etc. at times. Yes, he's had some dropped balls, etc. But lack of effort is 100% on him.

I've read a lot of compelling comments in his favor. His actions are not compelling.

I have no doubt he has the "can do". I don't see the "will do". I want him to excel and don't want to keep harping, but this topic keeps coming up and I think it's all on him.

Ty has to quiet the critics. No one can do that for him.

Go Ducks! Go Ty!

While I agree that TT's actions are not compelling, I also agree TThas been given little opportunity to succeed. 

The play calling when Bo is in the game compared to when TT is in the game is night and day.  Against Arizona, TT was only allowed to throw pre-determined swing passes. 

My guess is that the coaches don't trust TT right now to run the full offense, but I think they need to give him a chance so that they can evaluate what he can and can't do under the bright lights.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, Autzen Magic said:

While I agree that TT's actions are not compelling, I also agree TThas been given little opportunity to succeed. 

The play calling when Bo is in the game compared to when TT is in the game is night and day.  Against Arizona, TT was only allowed to throw pre-determined swing passes. 

My guess is that the coaches don't trust TT right now to run the full offense, but I think they need to give him a chance so that they can evaluate what he can and can't do under the bright lights.

He's thrown a variety of passes and has run a variety of plays, though. He threw an INT down field that was called back due to offsides.

The plays seemed similar to plays Bo Has run. 

On 10/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, Badwater said:

TT and Butterfield have been victims of the previous three coaches' inability to develop QBs. Dillingham's approach has been a blessing in that he had to have known that TT was not taught much of anything, so I presume he's being coached in practice and then being given game time to get some experience. Yes, TT looks rough and unspectacular, but one of Mario's greatest faults was - and is - an inability to coach and use QBs. TT is being given the time to learn. I don't expect that Butterfield is in a better spot. It's not an "it" factor. TT just has not been coached until this year. I'm grateful that we have Dillingham on board - a QB coach that can actually teach QB play. TT will come around, but more importantly Dante Moore has a lot to look forward to. It's one thing to be a 5* and another to be coached and taught how to be a QB.

Sorry. I just don't buy the victim argument. We're half way through this season. I don't see any progression from the first game he played until now. 

Do you have facts regarding how he has been coached?

This feed and the many before it, whether the feed specifically focused on Ty or Bo transferring into Oregon, shows that OBDFans are really pulling hard for Ty to be successful. 

So many of us seem to be emotionally invested in this young mans success. I am hoping Ty doesn't wash out and gets to lead this team to great things in the future.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:32 PM, Log Haulin said:

This feed and the many before it, whether the feed specifically focused on Ty or Bo transferring into Oregon, shows that OBDFans are really pulling hard for Ty to be successful. 

So many of us seem to be emotionally invested in this young mans success. I am hoping Ty doesn't wash out and gets to lead this team to great things in the future.

I do as well.  But he has the mannerisms of a young man who leaving ASAP.   We have too many blue chip QB’s.  If I am a five star and I don’t start I find a team who will use me.  Simple as that.  I would be there to make money and a name.   College now is semi pro with people getting paid to play.  

I was talking with the offensive line and run game coordinator coach at the high school I work a d he was saying that the Dillingham offense is a very complex offense and tough to learn. 

As a spectator I am still learning tons about this offense every week but I don't have to try and run the offense. 

It's a very dynamic offense but it has a lot of details to it that I would imagine can be difficult to pick up.

• Applause 1

On 10/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, David Marsh said:

I was talking with the offensive line and run game coordinator coach at the high school I work a d he was saying that the Dillingham offense is a very complex offense and tough to learn. 

As a spectator I am still learning tons about this offense every week but I don't have to try and run the offense. 

It's a very dynamic offense but it has a lot of details to it that I would imagine can be difficult to pick up.

The look on Ty's face imo, confirms this. The look is more of one searching his mind for how the play is run and going over it in his head. Puts him in an immediate disadvantage. 

I've read comments from a moderately well connected fan who says TT has difficulty grasping the playbook, both last year and this year.  Did he operate a fairly simple system in high school and just rely on athletic ability?

Sure wish I could remember the story how Chip Kelly got Dennis Dixon to see the light.  This could be something similar, when the understanding comes it becomes magic.

I’ve been a Ty detractor as much as anyone. But I can also see that some of that is grounded in my comparing him to a starter who situationally and maturity-wise has an unquestionable edge.

Mop-up time is mop-up time. It’s hard for teams to maintain the high energy edge they started with, especially with a 25+ point cushion, and the plays going conservative in order to run clock.

And, Bo is playing the position with a last chance mentality, and a determined commitment to changing those things from his past that stand in the way of becoming a top draft choice. 

But, neither of those alter the perceptions many have made regarding Ty’s lack of engagement when he’s been in the position to produce. The BYU game comes to mind as one that troubled me.

But it’s counter productive to compare his production to Bo’s. Like Marcus, Bo is becoming a field general who can alter plays at the line of scrimmage or as they develop. That takes experience. The only way we’re ever going to find out if Ty can, or Ty can’t is making him the starter.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Washington Waddler said:

The only way we’re ever going to find out if Ty can, or Ty can’t is making him the starter.

The only question I would have is when would you feel good about making him a starter? I can't think of a situation where I would be comfortable doing that

and we are running out of time this year as each game is becoming more important than the last. A starter's job is won, not just given. I'd like to see how Butters does

as I thought he played better than TT in the spring game.

Not that I watch a lot of recruiting video (so take this all with a grain of sand); but, recall watching some of TT's and the sort of odd thing is that Mario and Moorhead likely would have little idea or success trying to play to Ty's strengths.

Playing under Kenny Dillingham (and the adjustments KD likely would make to fit TT's strengths) in my mind makes at least a little more sense.

I recall there being some interest at the time in Jackson-Powers Corner Canyon HS teammate QB Jackson Dart; but, Oregon seemed 110% behind one QB and it being TT. I remember even (foolishly) thinking, hmmm, maybe this move was a sign MC and JM were gonna take the reins off and move away from his pedestrian offense and maybe break out some more aggressive vertical passing concepts? If not, Dart might seem a better "fit" for whatever that mess MC and JM had cobbled together (and not that Dart didn't throw the ball well either).

In h.s., from what I saw, TT was sort of a textbook "gunslinger", appeared to take 100% of snaps from the shotgun and throw 35-40 passes a game, a bunch of them downfield throws (and a good % of just bombs).

He ran a bit, but mostly because, at 6-4 and a solid 200 pounds, in many highlights he looked like one of the bigger, more powerful kids on the field (even counting some of the linemen). He sat back and threw darts all over the field (and probably yes usually in a one read and throw situation). They moved him around a bit, but mostly to throw.

At least in the clips I viewed, not exactly really the "dual threat" sort of thing MC and JM might be more after (and in his time at Oregon, Ty has appeared to never have an RPO where he wanted to choose run, or any real desire to take off with his feet on a pass play, or any real appearance enthusiasm for any QB designed run). Not that I want to see TT leave (and this is just an impression) but if somebody like Leach could drill in those air raid concepts, I could see TT really loving an offense where he took a shotgun snap and was able to throw 50 passes a game Garner Minshew style. 

Edited by AnotherOD

I, too, have seen the "deer in the headlight" look on Ty's face as he approaches the LOS...as well as after plays.  To me, it has failure and insecurity written all over it.  But perhaps I (and others) are a bit mistaken by his engagement...or seeming lack thereof.  Too soon to judge?

I looked at this youtube video following his commitment to Oregon.  Ty is never going to be confused with Mr. Personality.  His persona on screen is exactly like his actions on the field.  He is reserved, quiet, and if truth be told, a little boring.  If that is a good attribute for a D1 qb I have no idea.  But it seems to be his way of approaching the world and the tasks it offers him.  Are we being fair to him by questioning his mental preparedness for the play?  I don't know for certain, but I think he deserves a better shot at proving himself before we wish him off to the corn fields.

Edited by Mudslide

On 10/9/2022 at 7:18 PM, AnotherOD said:

probably yes usually in a one read and throw situation). They moved him around a bit, but mostly to throw.

This I think nails it ... I feel that is exactly what TT is either wanting to do or trying to do. 

He often seems to want to throw to his first read and doesn't have the patience to go through his read and he ends up forcing the throw.