Ducko

What is the Issue With Ty Thompson?

On 10/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

TT nearly gave up a pick six on a terrible decision

There was a defensive offsides and it was a free play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the "free play" was at about 8:33 in the 4th. The dangerous "almost pick" to the RB was at about 6:55 (pass to Duck RB James out of the backfield that UA DL #1 Harris almost gets).

On 10/9/2022 at 8:39 PM, AnotherOD said:

I think the "free play" was at about 8:33 in the 4th. The dangerous "almost pick" to the RB was at about 6:55 (pass to Duck RB James out of the backfield that UA DL #1 Harris almost gets).

I think you and IownslowavBr are both right.  One was a 'free' play which showed good decision on Ty's part and one was a near pick on the screen which showed a poor decision.  And there sums up the conundrum of Ty Thompson.  Is he, or is he ain't ?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, nw777b said:

Sorry. I just don't buy the victim argument. We're half way through this season. I don't see any progression from the first game he played until now. 

Do you have facts regarding how he has been coached?

I'm afraid the I have more respect for Charles Fisher and this site than to get into a debate with you on this issue. I will not argue this point; if you do not agree with my view then you don't.

Lest we forget, 5-stars or not, both Thompson and Butterfield were recruited by Mario Cristobal & staff.  So, to judge how well Dan Lanning and Kenny Dllingham are at developing QB's we need to keep in mind the possibility neither of those two coaches would have chosen either of those two QB's.  

Still, they're here, we need them to be able to perform.  O has a duty (as I see it) to help them get to the where the team needs them to be if something (God forbid!) happens to Bo Nix.

Just another reason to withhold that 'A' rating when grading Dan Lanning as a Head Coach. Hence, my B+ to A- in that earlier grading post.

I wonder if TT is like an actor who is great in rehearsals, but gets stage fright when he performs in front of a live audience?

Edited by Annie
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think Jay Butterfield would do extremely well in the Jonathan Smith offense at Oregon State

If Butterfield transfers up the road next year he wins that QB battle easy. They are a QB away from a title shot and he would give them that. That would make for a heck of a Civil War!

• Let’s hope! 1

Two thoughts:

1. Star rating:  Remember Bermister?  That guy couldn't throw a spiral if his life depended on it.  And he was a 4-star?   Then of course Mariota and Herbert were both 3 stars?   So the system is not to be relied upon.

2. I get why the coaches call conservative plays and use 2nd string players during garbage time.   But with an unproven inexperienced QB, wouldn't it make more sense to call him some real plays and surround him with 1st stringers to get him some real experience?  Sigh...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, Annie said:

I wonder if TT is like an actor who is great in rehearsals, but gets stage fright when he performs in front of a live audience?

I've been in TT's corner pretty much from the start, so take this with a grain of salt if you must.

I think TT's issues could well be a combination of everything that's being said.  I think he's a gunslinger with a cannon and isn't used to these complex schemes.  He's also been subject to having his confidence stripped away and not being coached up by the previous administration.  Also, I do remember reading that his star rating was given on "potential" and not on expectation.

That being said, I believe we have a responsibility to the young men that join our program.  If they're willing to stay committed to us, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to get the most out of them...to help them reach their maximum potential.  

Diamonds aren't dug up already polished and finished. They're dirty, with flaws and needing to be worked. I still believe Ty's a diamond, one that needs some cleaning, polishing and even some pressure. Without those things, I don't think we get what we need out of him, nor what we owe him.  I want to see him succeed, and I want it to be here. 

KD and DL may not be the coaches he needs for that, however I absolutely think they're the exact coaches he needs, especially when compared to what he had available to him previously...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/9/2022 at 10:06 AM, Mic said:

Now, if Nix says he's leaving (likely) then maybe O does the transfer thing again (ugh!).  

Maybe Tyler Van Dyke will be available after this year 🤣

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, GeotechDuck said:

I certainly believe that could be "a thing" with the way Dilly is turning into a QB whisperer and how much fun this offense would be to play in.

The ultimate burn!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, GeotechDuck said:

TVD has MINUS 15 yards rushing this season.  As good as he is throwing the ball, I don't see this sort of qb in a Dilly offense.

• Wow 1