Flaps2

What Do You Think of the Pink Theme for UCLA Game?

Breast cancer awareness theme is back.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Not a fan.  Other than pandering I'm not sure of the purpose.  Most sentient Americans are aware of cancer in all its ugly forms.  Most have been touched by it in some form.  Does adding pink to a football uniform once a year change any behavior?  Does anyone turn on the TV and think "I've got to send a donation to the American Cancer Society"?

If they can devise a promotion that actively encourages funding for open source cancer research count me in.  Until then give me the traditional Duck green, gray, gold, yellow, black, silver, white.......

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

I don't have a pink jacket or sweatshirt and it will probably be a little too chilly for a T-shirt, so I may wear little pink ribbon or something like that. I think instead of creating some sort of pink uniform for the game, put a pink sticker on the helmets and donate the money saved by not creating new uniforms go to the cause.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Think they look pretty good and cutting edge which fits the Duck brand. I am guessing that the players like them so good with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife is a survivor so I very much appreciate them continually elevating this issue. 

IMHO, the awareness efforts are never played out.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Coach Lanning's wife is also a survivor. I'm sure he takes cancer awareness pretty seriously.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Probably showing my age here but I think they’re really cool.

Edited by Flaps2

Having survived cancer two times, and 6 years of chemo,  I can say that any additional awareness a pink uniform creates is perfectly fine.

Many cancers are treatable with early detection. 

Go Ducks

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Ugh.  There are other ways to show support for Breast cancer victims and raise awareness.  But really, how many people do we suppose aren't already aware of this scourge?  Probably no one over the age of 12.  

In my worthless opinion, there are better ways to raise awareness than asking our young men to wear pink uniforms.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Awareness/reminderness, I'm all for it.

I don't think it costs U of O, or any other Nike school, anything and Nike is going to just do it as opposed to not supplying the uniforms and donating what the unis would cost.

It is probably already included in the school's sponsorship deals.

I'll probably shop for something at the U of O bookstore (to support it) as we're headed up there for my 50th reunion.

GO DUCKS

• Like 4

At least the uniforms are a nice-looking dark green with only pink numerals, a pink 'O' symbol on the hip and some other pink trim here and there.  That's fine, I guess - and it's great publicity for Nike (and U-of-O) to be getting involved in something so important.  

I'm just glad they aren't the all pink helmet, socks & shoes unis we saw once before - that was a little over the top, imo.    GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic

Well, I am not wild about this either...

2014 Pink Black_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

This will probably make me persona non grata but...

The awareness month schtick has outplayed its usefulness.  When every month is labeled (fill in the blank) Month it becomes perfunctory.  

Also, breast cancer research is already extremely well-funded.  But, the deadliest cancers have a fraction of the funding that breast cancer does. So, if we're going to do this, let's just have "Cancer Awareness" and then there's no need for pink uniform embellishments and we can help even more people.  Win-win.

NEWS.NORTHWESTERN.EDU

‘Embarrassing’ or stigmatized cancers like lung and liver are underfunded

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I personally like this pink better than the “egg shell” from the Arizona game!

I’d go so far as to say it is even better than the pinks of recent years.

Last time we wore a pink uniform we went to the Rose Bowl and playoff that season... 

Granted... we also lost that game... so let's ignore that part. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

For an old guy, I think these uniforms are "cool"!  " Rad"!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, McDuck said:

Not a fan.  Other than pandering I'm not sure of the purpose.  Most sentient Americans are aware of cancer in all its ugly forms.  Most have been touched by it in some form.  Does adding pink to a football uniform once a year change any behavior?  Does anyone turn on the TV and think "I've got to send a donation to the American Cancer Society"?

If they can devise a promotion that actively encourages funding for open source cancer research count me in.  Until then give me the traditional Duck green, gray, gold, yellow, black, silver, white.......

Green AND yellow on every uni.  The ice cream one wasn't my favorite, glad we won big

Can u see Alabama wearing pink to the biggest game of the year for them? 

I think it’s great. Subtle awareness of cancer is always a good thing.

Is it a be-all-end-all? No, but I try not to overthink it.

I agree cancer awareness is always a good idea.

Besides new uniforms have been a positive attraction for Oregon fans across the nation.  Recruits from DAT to this year's commits love the styles Oregon is known for!

I love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:52 AM, Smith72 said:

I agree cancer awareness is always a good idea.

Besides new uniforms have been a positive attraction for Oregon fans across the nation.  Recruits from DAT to this year's commits love the styles Oregon is known for!

I love it.

I wasn’t even aware there was such a thing as cancer until Oregon decided to wear pink uniforms.  I’m sure it’s not a marketing ploy by Nike.  

Edited by debbieduck
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Just to be all inclusive, 

BF5F70CC-C9BC-45C3-B304-7B1B11F3B5A2.jpeg

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

Uncle Phil gave over a billion dollars to OHSU to build the Knight Cancer Center. That's doing something that really makes a difference. But I don't begrudge anyone from using the pink to draw attention to it. With so much toxicity in the world right now it's nice to see anything that's positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think they are OK ,       I like that they just used the pink for highlights,   instead of a all pink uni.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:39 AM, FreddyD said:

Uncle Phil gave over a billion dollars to OHSU to build the Knight Cancer Center. That's doing something that really makes a difference. But I don't begrudge anyone from using the pink to draw attention to it. With so much toxicity in the world right now it's nice to see anything that's positive.

Here's a counter point to that (with all due respect to Uncle Phil whom Oregon, Stanford and others owe large debts of gratitude to):

Donating $ to OHSU and other research facilities to search for treatments and cures for cancer is golden.  Putting pink unis on football players for a National stage to see smacks (at least to me) as a blind corporate publicity stunt.

But Nike has to get the $ from somewhere to donate to those centers, right?          GO OREGON

Edited by Mic

Giving to OHSU guarantees the money goes directly to research and treatments.  Giving to a non-profit pays the salaries of the non-profit first.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Giving to OHSU guarantees the money goes directly to research and treatments.  Giving to a non-profit pays the salaries of the non-profit first.

I received a PM that stated the following about your post:

[Your remark]...struck me as off-topic and inflammatory, not to mention flat-out wrong and perpetuating a stereotype.  I work with many non-profits and the vast majority have overhead ratios below 25% (often below 15%), yet they're constantly accused of "spending all their money on staff and fundraising."  

I agree, but not with either of you, but to please keep the discussion to Oregon Sports?  I have enough to moderate without getting into the finances of Non-Profits.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I received a PM that stated the following about your post:

[Your remark]...struck me as off-topic and inflammatory, not to mention flat-out wrong and perpetuating a stereotype.  I work with many non-profits and the vast majority have overhead ratios below 25% (often below 15%), yet they're constantly accused of "spending all their money on staff and fundraising."  

I agree, but not with either of you, but to please keep the discussion to Oregon Sports?  I have enough to moderate without getting into the finances of Non-Profits.

Duly noted.  And apologies to any offended.  

I hate the pink!

we lose every time!!

It's commercialization of a serious issue.

Green or yellow!!

On 10/11/2022 at 6:33 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Just to be all inclusive, 

BF5F70CC-C9BC-45C3-B304-7B1B11F3B5A2.jpeg

I'll be the first to say I appreciate breasts (pink). But, I also appreciate livers (green) and bladders (yellow). 

So, I agree we should be "all inclusive". I fully expect to see lavender uniforms next year!

On 10/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, DanLduck said:

I hate the pink!

we lose every time!!

It's commercialization of a serious issue.

Green or yellow!!

Actually we're 1 and 1. 2013 beat Washington State and 2014 lost to Arizona. 2014 was the year we played in the National Championship Game, embarassing Florida State in the playoff and losing to tOS in the final. Not a bad year for wearing pink numbers on the uniform in one game.

• Great post! 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:34 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

Actually we're 1 and 1. 2013 beat Washington State and 2014 lost to Arizona. 2014 was the year we played in the National Championship Game, embarassing Florida State in the playoff and losing to tOS in the final. Not a bad year for wearing pink numbers on the uniform in one game.

Thanks for that update...

I am still tentative about Pink!!

I am not. 

Pink stinks. 

On 10/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, McDuck said:

I raised that issue with some younger duck fans and they fought me tooth and nail that awareness is very important. I could not communicate to them that maybe that money is better spent on a donation for research.

For Coach Lanning, the Pink 'Stomp Out Cancer' uniforms mean something extra special.

“My wife is a cancer survivor. And I think it’s really special when you have a stage and you can do it for a special cause.”

According to the Ducks, helmets from the upcoming game against UCLA will be auctioned off with proceeds

from those sales will support breast cancer research at the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Oregon's 'Stomp Out Cancer' uniforms will mean a little more for coach Dan Lanning and his family.

• Like 1

You read above about how 'Stomp Out Cancer' is special for Coach Lanning.

NOW LEARN HOW THE UNIFORMS THE DUCKS WILL WEAR ON OCT. 22 AGAINST UCLA

HAVE DEEP MEANING TO PLAYERS AND COACHES PAST AND PRESENT AT OREGON.

GODUCKS.COM

The uniforms the Ducks will wear on Oct. 22 against UCLA have deep meaning to players and coaches past and present at Oregon.

• Like 1