FishDuck Article

Oregon vs. Kelly for a Shot at Validation

Do you love our offense under Kenny Dillingham?  Are the old days of explosive plays back?  Joshua Whitted provides some good discussion points for OBD Forum.

FISHDUCK.COM

How many times has it been said that Oregon is "back"? Since 2019, the Ducks have made a number of top-10 — occasionally even finding...

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

When we played Auburn and lost 21to 18 it was a heartbreak.  A game in which Chip’s ego cost  us a title.  Even Nick Satan new you couldn’t run on Auburns line!

What was seldom talked about was our defense that  year.  We held Auburn to 21 points.  They hung 28 on Alabama, just a few weeks earlier, in just one half.

When I see that kind of defensive attitude here again I will say we’re back.  And Chip never had 4 and 5 star defensive recruits like Lanning has to work with. 

We will be facing a top three running back in two weeks and I think he’s faster, and better, than Royce was. 

if we stop UCLA’s run, we can win a shoot out.  
If not, it’s going to be a long day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last year Charbonnet had 35 yards on 15 carries against the Ducks Oct 23rd at UCLA. I think our D is better this year. 

And our offence is certainly better than last year. 

Validation? I thinks there's a very good chance of it.

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2022 at 4:51 AM, debbieduck said:

The same could be said about them needing to stop O's running game, couldn't it?  Yeah, I think so.

The 'X' factor here would be: Who knows an Offense like ours better than Chip Kelly?

The 'Y' factor here would be: Who knows how to stop (or counter) an Offense like theirs better than Dan Lanning?

It's going to be an interesting afternoon, that's for sure.

• Go Ducks! 1

I think validation is an interesting term to use at this stage of Dan Lanning's tenure. I would use the term affirmation to describe what a win would mean for Lanning and his fans.

It seems like every move Lanning makes is an affirmation of just how amazing he is seen by his fans and players. I was cautious about just how excited the fanbase was about what the new staff was going to bring. So far there has been one bump, one that should've been expected.

The term redemption is, I think, an extremely accurate term when describing what a win would mean to Chip. He has been destroyed by many fans for his moves up to this point. A win would help him restore some of his prowess he once had as the Oregon Head Coach.

My take is a loss won't lesson my conviction that in the end Lanning is the better coach. The road may seem short to where we want Lanning to take us, but I have a feeling there will be bumps, some unexpected. 

A win by Chip would be a statement, but not a validation. Proof of product is done over time, and Mr. Lanning has plenty of time to prove he is directing this program in the right direction, with the Oregon offense, and defense back to where we want, expect it. Go Ducks!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Mic said:

The same could be said about them needing to stop O's running game, couldn't it?  Yeah, I think so.

The 'X' factor here would be: Who knows an Offense like ours better than Chip Kelly?

The 'Y' factor here would be: Who knows how to stop (or counter) an Offense like theirs better than Dan Lanning?

It's going to be an interesting afternoon, that's for sure.

You have a valid point.  It goes both ways.  I just think they have a NFL ready running back.  And it will be harder for us.  

He gained 198 against Utah, and they are known for stopping the run.  But I think we are getting better each week.  

This game will answer many questions.

I have not looked forward to a game this much since the FSU game years ago!  

Go Ducks 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, debbieduck said:

When we played Auburn and lost 21to 18 it was a heartbreak.  A game in which Chip’s ego cost  us a title.  Even Nick Satan new you couldn’t run on Auburns line!

I thought this as well.  I thought Kelly should have kicked a field goal instead of running it up the middle.  This is something Charles pointed out, I did not catch in that championship game with Auburn.

If you look at the attached play below, our RB took the wrong path to the end zone.  He should have ran where it was blocked well to the outside.  It would have been a TD and a different outcome to that game.  Great designed play to the outside, our RB made the wrong choice.

image.thumb.png.86e63fa209f40e83fb67c03c38ca8fdc.png

On 10/11/2022 at 11:12 AM, NJDuck said:

I thought this as well.  I thought Kelly should have kicked a field goal instead of running it up the middle.  This is something Charles pointed out, I did not catch in that championship game with Auburn.

If you look at the attached play below, our RB took the wrong path to the end zone.  He should have ran where it was blocked well to the outside.  It would have been a TD and a different outcome to that game.  Great designed play to the outside, our RB made the wrong choice.

Good point.  Thank you 

UO football history would have looked quite different if this had been any of those four plays at the goal line.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, debbieduck said:

I have not looked forward to a game this much since the FSU game years ago!  

Go Ducks 

!! 😁

On 10/11/2022 at 12:05 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

UO football history would have looked quite different if this had been any of those four plays at the goal line.

That was a special moment, despite the eventual loss.  It showed the nation Oregon was a competitor and wouldn't back down. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2022 at 11:12 AM, NJDuck said:

Things like this happen because football is not, as some would like to think, a game of just X's & O's but a game of heart, mind, body and soul.  Down there on the field, facing a monster of a team determined to stop you, well... you just do your best and hold your head up when you succeed or fail. We know how we felt when Auburn won.  Imagine how OBD felt afterwards knowing they had given it their very best?

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:51 AM, debbieduck said:

What was seldom talked about was our defense that  year.  We held Auburn to 21 points.  They hung 28 on Alabama, just a few weeks earlier, in just one half.

When I see that kind of defensive attitude here again I will say we’re back.  And Chip never had 4 and 5 star defensive recruits like Lanning has to work with. 

We will be facing a top three running back in two weeks and I think he’s faster, and better, than Royce was. 

Charbonnet is LEGIT. I think he's right up there with Bijan and Corum. We did do a really good job containing him last season, hopefully we can do the same this time around.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:19 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think validation is an interesting term to use at this stage of Dan Lanning's tenure. I would use the term affirmation to describe what a win would mean for Lanning and his fans.

It seems like every move Lanning makes is an affirmation of just how amazing he is seen by his fans and players. I was cautious about just how excited the fanbase was about what the new staff was going to bring. So far there has been one bump, one that should've been expected.

The term redemption is, I think, an extremely accurate term when describing what a win would mean to Chip. He has been destroyed by many fans for his moves up to this point. A win would help him restore some of his prowess he once had as the Oregon Head Coach.

My take is a loss won't lesson my conviction that in the end Lanning is the better coach. The road may seem short to where we want Lanning to take us, but I have a feeling there will be bumps, some unexpected. 

A win by Chip would be a statement, but not a validation. Proof of product is done over time, and Mr. Lanning has plenty of time to prove he is directing this program in the right direction, with the Oregon offense, and defense back to where we want, expect it. Go Ducks!

I think you make some very good points, Hayward. I also agree that win or lose, Lanning still might end up being the better coach, but it will take some time to determine that.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:12 PM, NJDuck said:

This is a really good shot, I imagine this was an outside zone, too. Really surprised he didn't push hard outside that outside edge blocker.