Tandaian

ESPN Matt Miller Has No Idea About Mario Cristobal

This is from an ESPN insider article.  The most hilarious line is the first line in the 2nd paragraph.  The offensive struggles weren't expected?  I don't think Matt Miller watched a single Duck game while Mario was head coach.

2390.png&h=110&w=110

Miami Hurricanes' offense

What's broken? The Hurricanes hired away coach Mario Cristobal from Oregon with the idea he would bring a tough, innovative offense after shaping quarterback Justin Herbert and offensive tackle Penei Sewell into top-10 draft picks for the Ducks. That hasn't happened yet, as Miami is averaging 32.8 points per game, 46th best in the nation. And while the Hurricanes are putting together 466.6 yards per game (22nd), it isn't translating to points on the field -- or wins for the 2-3 squad. (It's worth noting that those numbers are pushed up by a 70-point showing in Week 1 against Bethune-Cookman, too.)

The offensive struggles weren't expected but are logical since Cristobal has implemented a complete change to the Miami offensive scheme. His players are learning a completely new offense under a new coaching staff. It takes time, but the results have been worrisome. The rush game has averaged only 4.0 yards per carry, and the offense as a whole has just 20 plays that have gone for 20-plus yards (tied for 108th in the country).

Can it be fixed? The issues in Miami are certainly fixable, but it's likely a 2023 solve rather than an immediate one. Left tackle Zion Nelson has missed time due to injury and has struggled when he's on the field. That's obviously hurting the Miami offensive line and putting quarterback Tyler Van Dyke under pressure.

This new scheme has also asked Van Dyke to do more classic pocket play, which is hard with a bad offensive line. Simply put, Miami has a talent problem up front. Cristobal cut his teeth as an offensive line coach, and he needs to build a wall there. Miami does have freshman tackles Matthew McCoy and Anez Cooper, who will be key players as the Hurricanes retool the line. Recruits Francis Mauigoa, Antonio Tripp and Connor Lew are also projected to join the team in 2023.

Who is the draft prospect most affected? Tyler Van Dyke, QB. He had some first-round buzz heading into the season, but that has largely quieted after a tough start, and Van Dyke was even benched in Week 5 against Middle Tennessee after throwing two interceptions. The 6-foot-4 sophomore had a nice bounce-back game in the Week 6 loss to North Carolina, but talk of Cristobal's offense propelling Van Dyke's stock has quieted. Right now the focus for the QB is just on keeping the starting job.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

The first sentence got me, 'he would bring a tough, innovative offense after shaping Justin Herbert' WHAT!!!!!!??????

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well,    he did shape him into a average college QB.

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is the surprise?  Mario averaged 32 points a game last year at Oregon, and is doing the same now at Miami.

Sounds like the “Prevent Offense” is in place to me!

The only surprise is how clueless the journalists in the east are.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

What is the surprise?  Mario averaged 32 points a game last year at Oregon, and is doing the same now at Miami.

Sounds like the “Prevent Offense” is in place to me!

There are probably a lot of teams across the country who would think 32 points is a lot right now.  But certainly not in the Pac-12, nor the SEC, nor the ACC, nor the Big-10, nor the Big-12, nor the Big Sky, nor the ....

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, Tandaian said:

The offensive struggles weren't expected but are logical since Cristobal has implemented a complete change to the Miami offensive scheme.

Weren't expected but are logical. What?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it weren't for the "Mario brought the UO back from the dead" and "he some how managed to get them to the Rose Bowl" narratives, he'd still be here and we wouldn't have Lanning. Thanks clueless east coast media!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

The first sentence got me, 'he would bring a tough, innovative offense after shaping Justin Herbert' WHAT!!!!!!??????

I saw that ‘shaping’ line and almost spit my coffee out stifling a very loud guffaw.  

My eye was so distracted by that utterly clueless observation that I missed ‘innovative’.  That is definitely a…perspective. 

And these people are the ‘experts’ on college football.  I’d say more like lazy writers who simply latch onto a narrative and run with it rather than develop and informed opinion. 

The best part of the trick?  When Mario gets canned ad Miami because of a plodding offensive philosophy this guy and all of his peers will say the problem the AD and boosters should have known better given his track record/history at Oregon (where in a nod to Herbert’s talent he succeeded *despite*  Mario’s shackles)

• Applause 1

It’s amazing just how bad much sports “journalism” is. Quantity over quality is the rule. “shaping” Justin Herbert is so ignorant it hurts. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:41 AM, Tandaian said:

That hasn't happened yet, as Miami is averaging 32.8 points per game, 46th best in the nation.

Actually ... That's the Cristobal offense averaging the right amount of points more or less. 

Oregon's reputation as a high scoring offensive school has rubbed off on Cristobal's reputation even though it is blatantly not true. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario's 'Cane innovation plan presented during the interview in-between 'recruiting' stops.

Screenshot_20221011_144444.png

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, David Marsh said:

Actually ... That's the Cristobal offense averaging the right amount of points more or less. 

Oregon's reputation as a high scoring offensive school has rubbed off on Cristobal's reputation even though it is blatantly not true. 

This is spot on! Mario's offense will probably end the year with a 440-ish yard average. He gets some yards each game with three long drives along with a few that sputter out into an FG try and a handful of three and outs.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, David Marsh said:

Now THAT's a profound statement.  Cristobal got a LOT more out of his time at Oregon than Oregon will ever have gotten out of Cristobal. With this I'm all in, guys.   Did you see this Charles? 😶  

• Thumbs Up 1

innovative offense after shaping quarterback JustinHerbert .......

Oh my, this line is staggeringly false and shows the writer did no research

Edited by Augduck