DazeNconfused

Ducks Mid-Season: Tell Us What Surprises You So Far

What surprises you so far, or what are your surprises? I'm interested to see what others share as there are lots of great opinions on this board.

Is it an underachieving position group or player?

Is it player or position group that is over preforming your expectations?

Is it a coach? 

The team as a whole or an area of the team that has shown improvement?

Edited by DazeNconfused

I'm going to steal from a discussion I had with Charles after the Georgia game. 

I'm surprised how much we have improved on the perimeter with the WRs and TEs holding their blocks. Charles pointed out how we really struggled and that the Dawgs defenders really broke up plays getting off our blocks.

We have improved a ton there and it's part of the reason we have such great offesne.

• Thumbs Up 2

The biggest surprise to me has been how Oregon has managed to execute real gameplay adjustments each week since Georgia.  I think I've become used to coaches diagnosing the right problem areas after a game but to me it seems the norm is 5+ games to make significant adjustments to those problem areas.

I've never seen an Oregon team/staff adjust this fast before.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

On 10/12/2022 at 8:05 AM, DazeNconfused said:

What surprises you so far, or what are your surprises? I'm interested to see what others share as there are lots of great opinions on this board.

Is it an underachieving position group or player?

Is it player or position group that is over preforming your expectations?

Is it a coach? 

The team as a whole or an area of the team that has shown improvement?

I'm going to steal from a discussion I had with Charles after the Georgia game?

I’m happy with Bo.  Although if he’s not unleashed against UCLA we may lose.  

I think our Inside linebacker play has taken a step back.  

I am also surprised at the taunting I see under coach Lanning, that Kirby Smart would never allow. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

The biggest surprise to me has been how Oregon has managed to execute real gameplay adjustments each week since Georgia.  I think I've become used to coaches diagnosing the right problem areas after a game but to me it seems the norm is 5+ games to make significant adjustments to those problem area.

I've never seen an Oregon adjust this fast before.

Great point, thanks for sharing. The light bulb just went on for me. That's why I started this thread!

I've seen this as well, but never really processed it the way you put it.

This is a big story and a huge change from the Mario Era!

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by the offense created and called by Coach Dillingham.  I had hoped for improved scoring, but all the creative ways Oregon is attacking defenses is very welcome.

Keeping a defense guessing and attacking all areas of the field is refreshing!  Predictability led to the boring prevent offense we endured.

Giving a defense too much to think through leads to confusion and slow reactions.  Kudos to Kenny Dillingham!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, Smith72 said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the offense created and called by Coach Dillingham.  I had hoped for improved scoring, but all the creative ways Oregon is attacking defenses is very welcome.

Keeping a defense guessing and attacking all areas of the field is refreshing!  Predictability led to the boring prevent offense we endured.

Giving a defense too much to think through leads to confusion and slow reactions.  Kudos to Kenny Dillingham!

This is another huge story. Dilly has us sitting #5 in total offense. He had his Memphis team #4 in FBS his first year there. Dilly is the real deal. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Except for a couple areas the whole team and staff are improving each week.

Our weaknesses seem to be our special teams and our ability to cover passes over the middle.

Not exactly sure but it seems our linebackers are expected to do more than they can because our safeties play so far off the line of scrimmage. I realize we are trying not to give up the big plays but this philosophy worries me every time there is a third and long.

Not trying to be nit picky here so overall I give this team an A- in improvement over our first game at Georgia.

Big test coming up against UCLA, who so far deserves an A+, but I think our coaching staff will have them ready.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised at how well the coaching staff can diagnose a problem then have that problem solved the next week. That puts top notch coaching on full display which I think will only benefit recruiting elite players. Results speak louder than words.

• Great post! 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, debbieduck said:

I think our Inside linebacker play has taken a step back.  

I am also surprised at the taunting I see under coach Lanning, that Kirby Smart would never allow. 

The linebacker play has me puzzled me. Is it the scheme? Keith Brown has shown improvement and promise in pass defense, he looks coached up?

Bassa looks good. Sewell's stats are way down, are other teams scheming away from him? Flowe has been hurt some. 

This is another good point. Maybe I started this thread to steal ideas for articles from you all? haha just kidding.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:28 AM, Just Ducky said:

Our weaknesses seem to be our special teams and our ability to cover passes over the middle.

This is another area I've been overlooking. teams are getting to many big kickoff returns and the punting is suspect.

Edited by DazeNconfused

"If he's not unleashed"?  Do you think he's been operating on one to this point?

I am too, debbie, very surprised at this.  Although I have to say it seems to have greatly subsided in the last game.  I hope it remains subdued when they're back in Autzen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, Mic said:

I am too, debbie, very surprised at this.  Although I have to say it seems to have greatly subsided in the last game.  I hope it remains subdued when they're back in Autzen.

Hutson after yet again getting personal foul flag for taunting got up after his big catch early and had no reaction as all.. hahaha

Seems like he got the message from Lanning after the Sanford game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the biggest surprise is the lack of surprises after most fans went into the season so hopeful. When you have a coach who has never been a head coach, other than a 3rd grade basketball team while in high school, you really don't know how all the dynamics are going to work out.

Notre Dame hired a coach much like Lanning, no head coaching experience. They lost their first two games, the second against Marshall, at home. I think they have struggled to win the games they have won. This was the kind of start I thought we might see, some struggles.

Instead we have seen every assistant make their position group better each week. We have seen a coach on the sideline cool as iced tea on a hot day. There certainly have been little things to complain about, but they have been little. Recruiting has been next level too. His transfers and recruits are working out.

I personally have been surprised we haven't seen more weaknesses in Dan Lanning's preseason persona. The guy really is the real deal!

The next question is what will his kryptonite going to be. Will there be a program he struggles against, one coach? Will there be a character issues he can't control, penalties, some student athletes losing their edge?

Right now I am still waiting to see anything which is a flaw which can't be improved upon or, really is a flaw. That surprises me more than anything.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:35 AM, Mic said:

"If he's not unleashed"?  Do you think he's been operating on one to this point?

Yes I do.  He has the personality of a Brett Favre, or a Johnny Manziel.  

Lanning has done well to get him to play under his scheme.  I like that as do most. 

But it is NOT who he is.  He is a gun slinger at heart.  

Alabama and Georgia like their QB’s to be 150 to 200 yard per game, musts he free, field generals.  

They have the luxury of monster middle linebackers, and shutdown corners! 

Not to mention 400 pound running backs that run 4.4 40’s.  

We don’t have that at this very moment.  So I think Bo needs 350 plus through the air, and close to 100 on the ground against UCLA. 

I have been saying watch out for UCLA in here for over a month.  Very experienced position players, and they absolutely man handled Utah’s line.   

So yes I think Bo has been leashed like a typical SEC QB, who isn’t coached by leach. 

Im not sure that will result in a win in two weeks.  We have the speed in our receivers.  Bo has the arm he’s just a half second to slow to throw it for our receivers to run under it.  

UCLA does not have Kirby Smart coached 5 star defensive backs.   Attack!!!

Now be nice in your rebuttals.  As you always are 

• Great post! 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, Mic said:

Ok well that’s true.  I just don’t want to lose by 3 because we got a dumb emotionally based penalty.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Hutson after yet again getting personal foul flag for taunting got up after his big catch early and had no reaction as all.. hahaha

After that 60 yard catch, yeah, a simple bow down and he was done.  

I really liked the thumb's-up gesture Troy Franklin gave to Bo (I assume) immediately after rising from that 1st down catch over the middle.  It was the opposite (imo) of a gesture of self-congratulation.  It was like he was signaling to Nix "nice throw!  We're moving the chains".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, Mic said:

After that 60 yard catch, yeah, a simple bow down and he was done.  

I really liked the thumb's-up gesture Troy Franklin gave to Bo (I assume) immediately after rising from that 1st down catch over the middle.  It was the opposite (imo) of a gesture of self-congratulation.  It was like he was signaling to Nix "nice throw!  We're moving the chains".

Ok good point.  I just think we may be in a for a dog fight against Chips boys, and I do not want to lose because of a dumb penalty 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, debbieduck said:

Yes I do.  He has the personality of a Brett Favre, or a Johnny Manziel.  

But it is NOT who he is.  He is a gun slinger at heart.  

Gunslinger's can win Championships with incredibly brave, bold plays - taking the bull by the horns!

Gunslingers can lose Championships with incredibly brave, bold plays - when they  break from the scheme and make terrible mistakes by trying to do too much.

They're heroes when it works, with the fans raining down praise and the coach left shaking his head.  And they're goats when it fails, with the fans screaming murder in the stands, and the coach left shaking his head.

I guess the 'trick' to all this (and what's makes a good head coach a great one) is knowing how much rope to give the gunslinger and when to rein that gunslinger in.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, debbieduck said:

Ok good point.  I just think we may be in a for a dog fight against Chips boys, and I do not want to lose because of a dumb penalty 

Exactly!  I think everyone of us feels the same and worries about that.  I imagine it keeps coaches up at night worrying about penalties because it's not something they can always control, emotions being what they are.   And boy! Are emotions gonna be running high in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised that Seven McGee hasn't been mentioned. He hasn't had the impact many of us thought he would.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, DazeNconfused said:

This is another area I've been overlooking. teams are getting to many big kickoff returns and the punting is suspect.

Really?  Because I've been thinking O has been doing a good job kicking the ball into & thru the end zone?  The punting game has been iffy, but not, imo, the FG's & kickoffs.  Am I wrong?

Another big surprise is 5 wins in a row - esp. considering that first game that I'm still trying to scrub from my memory.

• Haha 1

I am most surprised this season by the great insights, analyses  investigations, and comparison articles posted by DazeNconfused on FishDuck.com and the Our Beloved Ducks Forum.

DazeNconfused blew up from nowhere and continues to provide readers of the sites with entertaining and informative pieces while challenging our perspectives.

Go Ducks! Go DazeNconfused.

• Applause 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think the biggest surprise is the lack of surprises after most fans went into the season so hopeful. When you have a coach who has never been a head coach, other than a 3rd grade basketball team while in high school, you really don't know how all the dynamics are going to work out.

Notre Dame hired a coach much like Lanning, no head coaching experience. They lost their first two games, the second against Marshall, at home. I think they have struggled to win the games they have won. This was the kind of start I thought we might see, some struggles.

Instead we have seen every assistant make their position group better each week. We have seen a coach on the sideline cool as iced tea on a hot day. There certainly have been little things to complain about, but they have been little. Recruiting has been next level too. His transfers and recruits are working out.

I personally have been surprised we haven't seen more weaknesses in Dan Lanning's preseason persona. The guy really is the real deal!

The next question is what will his kryptonite going to be. Will there be a program he struggles against, one coach? Will there be a character issues he can't control, penalties, some student athletes losing their edge?

Right now I am still waiting to see anything which is a flaw which can't be improved upon or, really is a flaw. That surprises me more than anything.

Lanning is probably the best new first-time head coach in FBS.

Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame, the ex-Clemson OC and DC's Tony Elliot at Virgina, Brent Venables at Oklahoma all have struggled. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, Mic said:

I agree. Good teamwork and camaraderie. Much better than showboating. You can bet Nix appreciated it, and that it built trust. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Lanning is probably the best new first-time head coach in FBS.

I wonder how much of this is the behind the scenes support Oregon gives their coaches. Look at all the coaches who have struggled after leaving Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:31 AM, Mic said:

Really?  Because I've been thinking O has been doing a good job kicking the ball into & thru the end zone?  The punting game has been iffy, but not, imo, the FG's & kickoffs.  Am I wrong?

We are getting kickoffs into the endzone - it just seems like we give a up a kickoff return out to the 40 each week? Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe others will chime in on what they think. It's hard to absorb everything, and others on this board help form perspective. 

Duck Fan 76 already helped my perception in the third post on this thread. lol

On 10/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, Notalot said:

I am most surprised this season by the great insights, analyses  investigations, and comparison articles posted by DazeNconfused on FishDuck.com and the Our Beloved Ducks Forum.

DazeNconfused blew up from nowhere and continues to provide readers of the sites with entertaining and informative pieces while challenging our perspectives.

Go Ducks! Go DazeNconfused.

You're to kind, but thanks. Charles and I talk lots, and we feed each other's ideas. Sometimes he says something that was the missing part to me connection the dots.

That's already happened on this thread with a few of the posts for me. There are a few posts that actually a story could be written about the topic. 

Lots of people haven't even posted yet. I'm sure Wrathis, Marsh, Charles, ect will have some thoughts will click the light bulb on for me.

That's why this forum is awesome - people can talk football and not have the distraction of trolls or beefs distract. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm surprised that Seven McGee hasn't been mentioned. He hasn't had the impact many of us thought he would.

I'm not shocked by Seven's lack of impact. Everyone seems to want to compare him to DAT. He does not have the same quickness as DAT. He is fast. But, lacks the breakneck reflexes that D'Anthony had. I believe they will find his place in the system to have great success. But, until they quit trying to mimic one of our past greats and concentrate on Seven's real attributes he will not be anything but average.  

What I am pleasantly surprised about is how well our running back by committee is working and how well the whole group is responding to each others success. Tons of touches for everyone and fresh legs for all.

I'm still waiting for more of the havoc plays the defense is being taught to create. I want more!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I still don't think he was taunting during the Stanford game. To me it looked like he was trying to find a ref to toss the ball to, and when he finally did, the Stanford player inadvertently walked right into it. I don't hold that one against him at all...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, debbieduck said:

So yes I think Bo has been leashed like a typical SEC QB, who isn’t coached by leach. 

Dillingham’s offensive scheme is weighted towards running the ball. He runs a power run game with very capable RBs and one of the best OLs in the country. Many of his running plays get pulling linemen clearing a path for the RBs in the second level of the opposing defense. Always fun to watch. 

Establishing a run game can enhance a passing game, and vice versa. 

Dillingham’s offensive sets have many different looks, and I certainly think that a game plan needs to be in place for UCLA. However, changing an offense that averages +500 yards, and 42 ppg by “unleashing” one player won’t be the key to winning the game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, Wrathis said:

I still don't think he was taunting during the Stanford game. To me it looked like he was trying to find a ref to toss the ball to, and when he finally did, the Stanford player inadvertently walked right into it. I don't hold that one against him at all...

I agree. That is what I saw. I think Lanning saw it that way, also, given how he responded with reassurance not anger. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Two massive surprises for me: 1) I wrote in August how, "Oregon's defense will be the surprise of the conference."  Well it has, but not the way I hoped!  I am very surprised at the lack of sacks, and frankly the lack of skills at getting past the offensive linemen.  They know how to do it, but still lack the skills?  "Bradyn Swinson is the next sack-master."  That didn't age well either...

2) Dilly's offense is unbelievable.  Dazed and I have talked literally for hours about it, thus I cannot convey all my feelings about it.  Bottom line is that it is special and we better appreciate it while we can before injuries, coaches leaving, etc.

The only reason we have a chance to beat UCLA, is because we have a shot at outscoring them.  If we are relying on the Oregon defense to hold the Bruins down--it won't work.  Dilly's offense is the straw that stirs the Oregon drink, and he is bringing back the Oregon Brand!

Kenny Dillingham.jpg

Damn, he's young!

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The only reason we have a chance to beat UCLA, is because we have a shot at outscoring them.  If we are relying on the Oregon defense to hold the Bruins down--it won't work.

I 100% agree with you and yet, I'm hoping that this will be the game where we're blitzing and play aggressive defense!  Where our defense dictates what the offense does, not just having us react to what they're doing.

Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise...

• Great post! 1

My biggest surprise?

How fast OBD fans went from disapproving of Bo, to being in love!

No one is crying our for TT or JB anymore.

The reason, the coaches have Bo reigned in, he is playing within his skill set and not forcing the play. He is reading defenses and running the O with precision. I hope he stays "reigned" in.

My other surprise is how low Sewell's # are. I think this is due to the type of defense we are running.  Noah isn't expected to do it all like past years. I also think he is still learning where he fits in our D.

I will say that coach Lanning's success doesn't really surprise me. I think the most important, (and maybe most difficult) aspect of a head coach is putting together your own personnel. 

Selecting the right team of coaches. 

Dan L had a list of men he had previously worked with, ready to go.

And most impressively, they all seemed to want to work with him.

And they all are good teachers too.

He truly is a leader of men.

Finally, I'm surprised after being schooled in Georgia, we are sitting here thinking our Ducks could make the playoffs!

I guess if we continue to improve weekly, that 1%, anything is possible. 

I'm just glad coach Lanning is our guy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

One can cite the RB room's success after losing the vast majority of it's 2021 production. Or the creative use of the TE room in both run and pass offense,  particularly in the 14-J package (love naming it after Josh Conerly, what a way to encourage high level recruits to come to Oregon). And of course the play of Bo Nix.

Above all, I feel it's the coaching. Vast improvement in game management and offensive scheme over the last several years lead the list. Identifying problem issues and correcting them in practice follow that.

The defense will come as Lanning installs more of his concepts. He certainly has the talent. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2022 at 10:12 AM, Wrathis said:

I'm hoping that this will be the game where we're blitzing and play aggressive defense! 

We have attempted major blitzes that yielded nothing.  When you go all-out on Eastern Washington at times, and you get nothing from it?  Not good.  We call these clues....

Tomorrow we will have an analysis of some successful Fire Zone Blitzes that the Ducks have run, and hopefully will against the Bruins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am most surprised at the play of Bo Nix. To be honest, I hadn't paid much attention to Nix prior to his coming to Oregon.

I took the words of many of you on this site and worried how our offense would perform with Bo Pix.

Well, what a pleasant surprise he has been. He's been the best thing since sliced bread for the Ducks. I know,

he can do a few irritating things during games, but just think where we would be without him.

1.  Being 5-1 going into our bye week.  Pre-season I was thinking 4-2, worst case 3-3 with losses to GA, BYU and WSU.

2.  The efficiency of the offense.  Long, grind it out drives mixed with explosion plays.  Since Georgia opposing defenses haven't had any answers.

3.  The play of the transfers.  I thought Bo Nix was going to AB.2 (nothing against Anthony, he was solid but unspectacular).  Bo is finally living up to his potential and has total command of the offense.  I was pretty skeptical with the running back rotation, but Irving and Whittingham have proven to be a really good 1-2 punch.

4.  Along with many others I thought our defense would be the strength of the team.  This is clearly a work in progress, but I would have expected them to gel faster than the offense, especially with Lanning's background.

5.  I can't necessarily say I'm surprised, but still disappointed with our kick return/coverage.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I am most surprised at the play of Bo Nix. To be honest, I hadn't paid much attention to Nix prior to his coming to Oregon.

I took the words of many of you on this site and worried how our offense would perform with Bo Pix.

Well, what a pleasant surprise he has been. He's been the best thing since sliced bread for the Ducks. I know,

he can do a few irritating things during games, but just think where we would be without him.

I wrote the Beware Bandwagon Buy-In about Nix. Don't I look the fool? lol

Nix has made a HUGE jump. Like most improved player award type jump. His passer rating is up 26 points and completion percentage 9.4% and passing is up 1.1 yards per from last year. Along with his passing stats being up, he is having his best year rushing. Plus, his mental game is up, he throws balls away now.

Dilly gets a ton of credit as well for Bo's big jump in his level of play. 

I'm riding with Bo now - even if he has a bad game. All QBs have a bad game - Bo has consistently shown he is now more good player than bad player this year. Read this article and you see how Bo has proven me wrong.

FISHDUCK.COM

Bo Nix was a highly touted five-star recruit, a player that draws mixed emotions from fans. Will Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham help launch Nix...

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 10/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, Wrathis said:

I'm hoping that this will be the game where we're blitzing and play aggressive defense!  Where our defense dictates what the offense does, not just having us react to what they're doing.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the X's and O's but seems to me the game plan has been to contain the agile QB's that we've been playing rather than trying to sack them as all but Stanford QB we're very mobile and could break big runs.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We call these clues....

Given the improvement week over week, one might call them weaknesses or miscues or any other number of things.  Certainly a prudent coach might call them opportunities, or chances to improve.

Blitzing can and does work when the pressure can get there while everyone is taking care of their zones or assignments.  I'm absolutely seeing that Dorlus and Johnson aren't getting there enough on their own, that might be a clue...yet, I still think it's an opportunity for them as well. 

Main point being I would love to see the defense setting the tone, dictating what the opposing offense does. 

That the defense isn't setting the tone certainly qualifies as what surprises me so far this season. I expected the defense (given the talent and coaching) to lead the way, not the other way around.  Then again, had I read the clues I might have properly predicted that the offense would be leading the charge...Either way, I'm thrilled at the way we're playing and will be watching weekly to see what opportunities for improvement present themselves, and how we react and shore those items up.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:28 AM, cartm25 said:

Without the GA game stats included, Ducks are averaging 47.0 ppg (HIGHER THAN ANY PRIOR TEAM)

It is 49.8 points per game.  Almost 50!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, cartm25 said:

I thought I defined it earlier in my post, but I may not have been as clear as I should have.

The 47.0 ppg is what the offense alone is responsible for, and does not include points scored by the defense or PR/KR TDs (none so far this year).

I'll go with that; I stand corrected.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

We have attempted major blitzes that yielded nothing

I've been scratching my head on this one too.  I can't say that I've been able to really point to why the pressure isn't getting there reliably.

I really don't think it's a problem with coach Tuioti as he's had real success at other school with the D-line.

Could it be that having Thibodeaux be the focus arrested the development of the pass rush?  That seems like a pretty ridiculous notion.

I HOPE it's because the emphasis has been on staying gap sound and the defense hasn't made pass rush a major priority for development... but you know what they say?  Hope in one hand...

I'm surprised no one has brought up how Chase Cota has become Bo's #2 WR behind Franklin. I didn't expect Cota to be the #2 guy.

Thornton is about as missing in action as Seven is and that's puzzling.

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 10/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, DazeNconfused said:

He looked very disappointed in himself to me. It was a great catch... but maybe he was thinking if he had run a little faster earlier in the route, it would have been a touchdown, caught in stride.