Charles Fischer

Cheering For: USC or Utah and Why?

I am taking this as a good-or-good result when the game is over.  I will root for Utah because 1) their fans on this forum have been fantastic, and I want them to be happy for their team, and 2) to say that I loathe USC....it doesn't adequately describe my complete feelings of disgust for anything that is Troy.

However if the Trojans win--it could help Oregon down the line.  If we should enter the Conference Championship game against them unscathed, (as they could be) then beating a highly ranked, highly publicized team like the Trojans could help our Playoff chances.

The key is how Oregon does; win and it is all solved.  But there are advantages for Ducks with either team winning this weekend.  What are your leanings, and why?

Kyle Whittingham (@UtahCoachWhitt) / Twitter

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2022 at 12:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will root for Utah because 1) their fans on this forum have been fantastic, and I want them to be happy for their team, and 2) to say that I loathe USC....it doesn't adequately describe my complete feelings of disgust for anything that is Troy.

Ditto that! Well put Charles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Duplicitous arrogant traitors or the team oriented blue collar workers.  Easy choice UTAH.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This article goes along with should we root for USC or Utah?  Donovan James take on the game, what might be Oregon's best interest which school should win.  Though, my feelings is too much distaste for USC to root for them.  But i am in a quandary, it might be best for Oregon and maybe Pac-12 if USC wins.  Oregon makes it to the championship and soundly beats USC..

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

.@Ducks_Wire editor @ZacharyCNeel said a #USC win would help the #Pac12 … and that Duck fans likely will support Utah. They don’t want Travis Dye to win at USC.

It is impossible to root for USC, simply not physically, emotionally nor psychologically possible. I don't care if USC winning would benefit the Ducks, I will still send all possible bad vibes in the direction of the team from hell.

That, and I like the Utes when they're not playing Oregon. They always seem like good people.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

USC winning is better for the Pac 12, so that means it is better for Oregon.  

Conference games this weekend.

Cal @ Colorado                    Need Cal to win

Arizona @ Washington       Need Washington to win

Stanford @ Notre Dame     Need Stanford to win

USC @ Utah                          Need USC to win

WSU @ OSU                         Both 4-2, but WSU having a win vs Wisconsin, we need WSU to win.

The Pac 12 needs to have a true pecking order.  

I want to see everyone bury SC. All the ranked teams we play will be higher ranked by beating them.

And most importantly, I always feel a little better about life when they lose.

• Applause 2

Being a Utah grad, I want Utah to win! More importantly, I love seeing USC lose!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Never rooting for USC.  Utes all the way.  I think Utah has a good chance, but they can’t let Dye do what Charbonnet did to them on the ground.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd cheer for the Fuskies if they were playing the Spoiled Children...that should just about sum it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

.it doesn't adequately describe my complete feelings of disgust for anything that is Troy.

For my purposes, I'll change that to, 'anything that is Travis.'

Much as it pains me, gotta root for $c here to set up a possible Pac 12 CShip with them undefeated.  Ewe dub is the only school I want to lose regardless unless it gets us a CShip.

Other games this week . .  TCU over Ok St., Tenn over 'Bama, Ashford (Auburn) over Ole Miss, toughest one is Mich v Penn St.  That would set up UCLA and the Ducks to both be in the top 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

U$C needs to win this.  If so we will have three teams ranked in top 10 or 11 by next Monday. And Florida beat them already.

USC needs to win to keep Oregon in the playoff hunt.  

I want to see us in playoffs more than I hate USC. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Let’s hope! 1

However if the Trojans win--it could help Oregon down the line. 

I've been thinking about this angle and ultimately I have to trust that if Oregon keeps improving then the playoffs for an 11-1 Oregon is a real possibility.

Following the best case trajectory of Oregon wins out I agree meeting an undefeated USC in the PAC12 championship would definitely make a stronger case for an Oregon Fiesta Bowl berth against Ohio State.  That being said I'm also not happy with the Trojan's and I would almost rather see Utah win and have Oregon play Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

If USC wins I'll look to the silver lining but I will be cheering if Utah buries Troy.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I'll be rooting for Utah largely because I have respect for Utah, and no respect for USC after they secretly decided to ditch the Pac-12. I know it's not USC's players' fault that they're leaving the pac-12, but hey, I'm petty that way sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since we don't play USC then we want them to win. If we win out it will be a big-time Pac-12 Championship matchup with national media hype.

Lincoln Riley trying to get back to the playoff in his first year at USC. Lanning in his first year at Oregon trying to make the playoffs in his first season as a head coach. That story will sell.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 10/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, CountryProf said:

I know it's not USC's players' fault that they're leaving the pac-12, but hey, I'm petty that way sometimes.

Me too.

I never said I was noble...

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Wouldn't U$C making the championship game make recruiting the LA area more difficult for Oregon?  Lincoln Riley would sell they accomplished a top two finish in his first year and they "only need a couple more players" etc.

U$C will always be a bigger threat to OBD than Utah.  I look at the long term rather than a single year.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/12/2022 at 3:25 PM, McDuck said:

Wouldn't U$C making the championship game make recruiting the LA area more difficult for Oregon?  Lincoln Riley would sell they accomplished a top two finish in his first year and they "only need a couple more players" etc.

U$C will always be a bigger threat to OBD than Utah.  I look at the long term rather than a single year.

Agreed but we lose do much after this season.  
I feel like next year is a major rebuild.  

I can answer the question with rooting for the Utes but understand that rooting interest aside the benefits of UnStopabbleConstipation winning. This will be the biggest test for 'Herd's favorite team this season, and the Utes will be angry.

...  to say that I loathe USC....it doesn't adequately describe my complete feelings of disgust for anything that is Troy.

😍🤩😇😆🤣😜😂🕺

And Notre Dame!

Edited by Mic

Assuming Oregon beats UCLA (and I think it's less than 50/50 at this point) I would prefer to see Utah win because I like Utah and I don't like USC.  I may even loathe USC but I'm not certain because years of gentle upbringing by a gentle and kind mother has gone a long ways of rooting out the "loathsomeness" in me.  Otherwise it would be easy to loathe USC.

But, it would definitely be better for Oregon to win out (if they can) and then play an unbeaten USC for the Pac-12 Championship.  Utah, unfortunately, has been tainted with 2 losses and a win in the Championship game would lack that extra luster of beating an un-beaten USC.

Damn it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Utes all the way.

I hope USC loses this game and against UCLA then one or two more for good measure. 

An invitation to the Rose Bowl game may be the ceiling for the Ducks this year. I’ve always wanted to attend.

• Like 1

The traitorous university of spoiled children this year did what I thought no team could ever do.  They actually crawled deep enough into the slime-ball gutter to come in lower than the prostitute purple and hooker gold clad mongrels from the north.

Go Utes, destroy the condoms.  Give them the fist of four defeats to end their season hopes.  I want to see the bears, the bruins, and the golden domers all hand the rubbers a big L.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes it's not enough that one wins; in those times it's necessary that other lose, too. This is one of those times. Down with USC in all its manifestations.

• Applause 1

Utah.

Redemption for Utah after a rough start (except for a subsequent beatdown by the Ducks at Autzen, which is owed to them).

Even if Oregon wins out and beats an undefeated U$C in the Pac12 championship game, getting into the CFP is a long shot given the 49-3 egg laid against Georgia to start the season. I'd rather see the troy-boys lose to Utah, win out, then get spanked by the Ducks in Vegas for a trip to the Rose Bowl. U$C to the Holiday Bowl. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket....

• Thumbs Up 1

I want Utah to crush them. Live in Southern Cal and have long time SC friend coming over to watch game. He loves trash talking Ducks and thinks SC is a playoff team this year. I need a beatdown.

Playing golf with him in the morning so could be epic day as I beat him by 5 plus shots on course than watch Trojans lose by at least 14 plus. Competition is a great thing among good friends!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am rooting for Oregon as there is a very good chance that DL will have his players overcome their shortcomings and win the challenges they face this week as they prepare for the showdown with UCLA.

Success in the challenges the Ducks face this week will set the stage for upcoming games with Utah and possibly USC.

Go, Ducks…….

Utah... I want to be right and finally see USC exposed. USC has managed to skate by so far but in truth they have been lucky. They escaped the Beavers because the Beavers threw 4 interceptions. They struggled against an ASU team but pulled away in the end. They got WSU at HOME and were able to use the home field advantage and their superior player talent to push them over the Cougs. 

But this is going to be a real test for them. They are away and against a team that is more well rounded than any team they have played so far. This isn't last year's Utah team but they are better than all the others USC has faced and I want USC to be exposed for the team they are... a good team but not a CFP lock or even a Pac-12 Championship lock. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not that USC leaving for the B1G TEN isn't another reason to hate them, but if Oregon gets invited to the B1G TEN, they are not going to blink an eye about going there.  It is a bit silly to be angry at somebody for doing exactly what we would do in the exact same position.

We need to root for what is best for the Pac 12 for this years CFP.  We really needed Utah and Oregon to hold the banner, since USC/UCLA are leaving, but it looks way better for Oregon to be the only school to beat both USC/UCLA.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, David Marsh said:

I want to be right and finally see USC exposed.

Turns out sc's last win over a ranked opponent was Utah in '19.  If the slide continues, so be it.  If not, on step closer to a showdown with the Ducks in CShip if we both hold serve.

On a clearer, more sober thought I'd like to suggest a slight change in the title of this topic.  I'd suggest removing the three words "or Utah and" from it and call it good.

Practically speaking a win for USC is better, keeps them undefeated, it would be their first win over a quality, though sliding team, in Utah. But it's impossible for me to actually want USC to win. They were tolerable under Helton. But, give them a glimmer of light and once again they're unbearable. So, Ill be cheering for the Utes, and if SC wins, at least it won't be all bad.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, 30Duck said:

Practically speaking a win for USC is better, keeps them undefeated, it would be their first win over a quality, though sliding team, in Utah. But it's impossible for me to actually want USC to win. They were tolerable under Helton. But, give them a glimmer of light and once again they're unbearable. So, Ill be cheering for the Utes, and if SC wins, at least it won't be all bad.

Alas, I have to agree with you.  

My gentle mother of a kinder spirit (may she rest-in-peace) is probably rather unhappy with my thoughts regarding these weak attempts at not loathing SC enough to root for them.  I'm afraid her kindness only glanced off me, at best.  'Cause I loathe them only slightly less than the Fuskies!

Finding myself in a position where I need to concede an unbeaten season for SC helps us is a painful experience.  Maybe the B1G will relieve us of having to suffer thru something like this again.  We can only hope. 

On 10/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, Tandaian said:

It is a bit silly to be angry at somebody for doing exactly what we would do in the exact same position.

There's one pretty big difference:  did Oregon's AD help block Pac-12 expansion?  On the "leaving" part, I agree with you.  I even get it about lying to the commish, because it's not like you can make secret backroom deals in the light of day.  But what SC did is akin to burning down someone else's business and then claiming their insurance money.

My head says it's better for the Ducks if SC wins, but that's only if SC and Oregon both make the championship game.  Too many ifs and unknowns...not to mention I still think the Ducks are good enough to win the Pac-12 and then lose by 30 to an SEC team.  We're just not there yet, IMHO. 

Therefore, go Utah!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2022 at 7:09 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

There's one pretty big difference:  did Oregon's AD help block Pac-12 expansion?  On the "leaving" part, I agree with you.  I even get it about lying to the commish, because it's not like you can make secret backroom deals in the light of day.  But what SC did is akin to burning down someone else's business and then claiming their insurance money.

My head says it's better for the Ducks if SC wins, but that's only if SC and Oregon both make the championship game.  Too many ifs and unknowns...not to mention I still think the Ducks are good enough to win the Pac-12 and then lose by 30 to an SEC team.  We're just not there yet, IMHO. 

Therefore, go Utah!

But….It is UCLA that is easily the best California team.  USC is rated so highly because Norte Dame needs a big  win to get to a big six late in season.  IMO

UCLA is the best team outside of Georgia we will face this season.  Just as fast as us but with much more experience. 

I want USC to win but I think Utah spanks them, proving that UCLA is the southern team to beat.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2022 at 7:22 AM, debbieduck said:

But….It is UCLA that is easily the best California team.  USC is rated so highly because Norte Dame needs a big  win to get to a big six late in season.  IMO

UCLA is the best team outside of Georgia we will face this season.  Just as fast as us but with much more experience. 

I want USC to win but I think Utah spanks them, proving that UCLA is the southern team to beat.  

1st para;  Perhaps, and yes!

2nd para: Looking like it but will only know for sure at the end of the season.

3rd para:  I can't pull for USC (tho it might help the Ducks), I think the game is closer than a spanking (tho I'd love it!) and all the southern teams we face are teams to beat (but I know what you mean).

On 10/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, Mic said:

1st para;  Perhaps, and yes!

2nd para: Looking like it but will only know for sure at the end of the season.

3rd para:  I can't pull for USC (tho it might help the Ducks), I think the game is closer than a spanking (tho I'd love it!) and all the southern teams we face are teams to beat (but I know what you 

My love for the Ducks appears to be stronger than your hate for USC!   Women are better at love as everyone knows, so nothing personal. 

Though I think they lose, we need $C to win Mic. 

Edited by debbieduck

On 10/14/2022 at 7:09 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Therefore, go Utah!

Agreed.  If USC beats Utah and We beat UCLA we will be both in PAC 12 title game I think. 

So let your love for the Ducks flow,  and root for USC.   If we lose go back to hating the trash from USC. 

On 10/14/2022 at 10:09 AM, debbieduck said:

Women are better at love as everyone knows, so nothing personal.  

So my wife and daughters keep telling me ....

• Like 1

To me Utes. I want everyone else getting 1 lose in league play so when/if we win out we will definitely be in the championship game. So then we have a shot at the league title. After that it's all gravy.

I also don't want the Spoiled Children anywhere near the CFP. Especially not now, especially not ever!

I don't care about the PAC 12 reputation. I don't think it matters. When/if we win out, it won't matter if sc has a loss or not the same as if it was Utah.

Utah show them who's boss, just like you did to the Beavs. Then we continue our march, 1 game at a time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

If USC plays Washington I would pull for USC-----That would be the only time pulling for USC. My personal prejudices are the most important factor in who I pull for.

So Utah it is this week .

What is best for the Ducks will work itself out as long as we keep winning. I think some Duck fans forget that we are the highest ranked one loss team in the country, despite that being a 49-3 beatdown. If we win out and play good football as we have, I think we will go to the playoffs.

On 10/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I also don't want the Spoiled Children anywhere near the CFP. Especially not now, especially not ever.

I like that.  USC = University of Spoiled Children.  Mind if I capture that? 😉

On 10/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I also don't want the Spoiled Children anywhere near the CFP. Especially not now, especially not ever!

Actually, USC in the Playoffs could be great to watch. It might not be 49-3, but if Alabama, or Tennessee, or Georgia or theeohiostate see SC in the first round, maybe it would be 49-3

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, 30Duck said:

Actually, USC in the Playoffs could be great to watch. It might not be 49-3, but if Alabama, or Tennessee, or Georgia or theeohiostate see SC in the first round, maybe it would be 49-3

Didn't something like this happen to ND in the fairly recent past?

On 10/14/2022 at 4:17 PM, Mic said:

Didn't something like this happen to ND in the fairly recent past?

Yes, it did, for the Natty in 2013, Alabama 42-14. But that's not it:

2001 Fiesta Bowl L 41-9 Oregon State

2004 Insight Bowl L 38-21 Oregon State

2006Fiesta Bowl L34-20 Ohio State

2007Fiesta Bowl L 41-14 LSU

2018 Semi-Final L Clemson 30-3

But they did beat Rutgers, 29-16 in the 2013 Pinstripe Bowl.

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

30Duck makes my point earlier about ND and how they always seem to get more attention and credit than they should for playing teams they seldom struggle with outside of any Conference where they would have to play tough opponents and compete for standings.  I'm convinced beyond the shadow of doubt that's exactly why they've turned their nose up at joining a conference.  

Maybe we can force them to join the WAC, something they can handle.

Another thought for Utah.  I don't get the Pac-12 network.  A Ute win increases the odds for their game against Oregon being on ESPN or Fox.  Increased exposure for OBD and I don't have to watch some jerky stream on my computer.

I will root for anyone that plays usc. Even the dogs up north. 🤮🤢🤮