Pennsylvania Duck

Breaking: Oregon Lands 2023 Commitment From K Grant Meadors

He is No. 1 kicker in 2023 class. He does everything in kicking we are looking for!

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's class of 2023 continues to grow as they've landed their 20th commitment in K Grant Meadors.  Meadors is heralded as one of the best kickers in the nation by

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Yay, yay, and yay!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Hooray.  Oregon has been needing a great kicker for more years than I can remember.  I've always wondered why Oregon was unable to get the great prospects to come here because Autzen is a perfect environment for the kicking game.  Finally!

(I'll breathe easier when I see him in uniform).

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:37 PM, Mic said:

Hooray.  Oregon has been needing a great kicker for more years than I can remember.  I've always wondered why Oregon was unable to get the great prospects to come here because Autzen is a perfect environment for the kicking game.  Finally!

(I'll breathe easier when I see him in uniform).

Adam Stack was the top rated kicker and an All American Bowl selection. He never panned out. Kickers are hit and miss, so I never put much stock in their ratings. I remember the FSU Kicker (Aguayo) who never missed in college and was drafted in the 2nd round by Tampa. He got the “Jimmy legs” and was cut after his first season. The Duck’s best kickers in the past decade have been walk-on’s. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Adam Stack was the top rated kicker and an All American Bowl selection. He never panned out. Kickers are hit and miss, so I never put much stock in their ratings. I remember the FSU Kicker (Aguayo) who never missed in college and was drafted in the 2nd round by Tampa. He got the “Jimmy legs” and was cut after his first season. The Duck’s best kickers in the past decade have been walk-on’s. 

Totally agree based on past history.  Alejandro Maldonado was highly rated, a Kohl's Kicking School All-American.  We had another kicker highly ranked by Sailer Kicking Camp but forget his name.

What is different now is we have Joe Lorig to coach these players up.  Previously special teams almost seemed like an afterthought.

• Thumbs Up 2

At a certain level of skill, is kicking more mental/emotional/psychological than anything?

Top-rated kickers don't pan out, some teams (looking at you, Utah) always seem to have good kickers, Ducks have had a kicking game that has ranged from an afterthought to terrifying (to Ducks' fans). It seems totally random.

I will be happy to welcome Grant Meadors when he signs. And, hope the hype pans out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, McDuck said:

Alejandro Maldonado

Lost two games alone from him.  Stanford in 2012, and USC in 2011...right in front of the goal posts with no wind inside 42 yards for the win.

Mr. FishDuck

Sailer's top rating is for sale. You have to attend the camps to get the rating. 

I hate to say it, but lazy programs recruit from these rating services. I hope the program went more in depth than relying on the Sailer rating, bet they did.

Agree there are too many failures from these rating services to provide a scholarship to a prospective student athlete. Have a competition every year and provide a scholarship to the kid who proves himself.

One of my favorites was Henry Katleman who left for a scholarship after proving himself at Oregon.

2023 commit to LSU, Dayton Austin.  He talks about his visit to Oregon.  He has a relationship with Coach Lanning.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The Duck’s best kickers in the past decade have been walk-on’s

Good thing ON3 reported he accepted a Preferred Walk On Offer.

WWW.ON3.COM

Liberty (Calif.) kicker Grant Meadors has committed to Oregon as a preferred walk-on. Check out Joe Lorig's latest get.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the Flock!  Go Ducks!

image.png.27265a7c8c2a29331c6797b74a05042f.png

The Adam Stack story is one cautionary tale about highly-rated kickers. Another could have been the Camden Lewis story. He, too. was rated "five star" coming out of high school. His first couple of years as a Duck kicker were just short of a nightmare for me. His knuckleball kicks were horrific to watch as they either missed or barely made it. Quietly, though, the kid has turned it around and has become a very reliable kicker (🤞) for the Ducks now. 

Seems to me that it's pretty hard to look at a high school position player and guarantee success in college. Quarterback--with the position's demand for mental as well as physical development--seems to be consistently the most difficult to predict. Kicker has to be right up their with quarterback, though. Hard to run tests on a guy's ability to focus and shut out distractions.

Kicking a FG in HS in front of a few hundred or maybe a thousand or two has got to be a lot different than kicking in front of 55,000 - 85,000+ and television cameras & media personal all over the field.  Perhaps that's why these young kickers struggle?  I would!

My understanding is high school kickers are allowed to use a tee, raising the ball an inch or two above the surface.  Not the same as college.

• Thanks 1

Adam Stack, Matt Wogan, Alejandro Maldonado, the list can go on and on... when it comes to kickers, it is a shot in the dark.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:15 AM, McDuck said:

My understanding is high school kickers are allowed to use a tee, raising the ball an inch or two above the surface.  Not the same as college.

What?  Is the tee height different?

On 10/14/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mic said:

What?  Is the tee height different?

There is no tee in college, but there is in high school.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2022 at 11:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

There is no tee in college, but there is in high school.

I can't believe I've been watching college football this many years and I didn't know the kickoff tee wasn't used!  What's that holding the ball upright for the kicker then? 

Wait... I'm not talking about FG's and extra points, I'm talking about kickoffs.  I think we were on two different pages?  My bad.

Edited by Mic

I guess I better clarify.  What I've always wanted for Oregon is a kicker who can kick the ball off the tee into/out of the end zone consistently, not 1 out of 3 or even 3 out of 5 times.  5 out of 5 times.  Our return coverage hasn't been stellar this year and seeing the ball go out of the end zone is my idea of a good kickoff.

Reduces injuries, eliminates run backs.  It does reduce the possibility of pinning the opponent inside the 20 (minimal gain there) and eliminates the chances for a fumble by the return team.  But overall I think it better for the defense to know they will be starting their defense on the 25 and not the 45 or worse.

I don't want to see the kickoff eliminated because with speedy return men if an opponent can't kick the ball deep enough O can still get the ball out and take it up field.  I just don't like seeing our opponents receive the kick at the 5-8 yd line and make a 35 yd + run back.  It seems like this year has seen more of our kicks not returned.  And I like that.

• Thumbs Up 1