Pennsylvania Duck

Women's Basketball: No Messing Around in November, December

Difficult non-conference schedule will test Ducks over first two months

The team is set to play a batch of the nation's heaviest hitters during the opening two months of the season.

Kelly Graves:  "Look at our non-league schedule. Our 11 games, five are against Power 5 schools or top 25 level programs.

Not many people are doing that. That's half of our games."

247SPORTS.COM

Difficult non-conference schedule will test Ducks over first two months

Everything Kelly Graves said on Friday's episode of the Autzen Audibles podcast - Transcript

Coach Kelly Graves joined the Autzen Audibles to chat with Erik Skopil about the upcoming season. The pair discussed the

recently released schedule, which newcomers are standing out and which areas might determine success this season.

247SPORTS.COM

Everything Kelly Graves said on Friday's episode of the Autzen Audibles podcast

Oregon releases its 2022-23 women's basketball schedule

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon releases its 2022-23 women's basketball schedule

Kelly Graves believes Grace VanSlooten 'has a chance to be one of the best freshmen in the country'

"At 6-foot-3, she can shoot it and can take it off the dribble. She's got a little old school back-to-the-basket game

as well as being able to face-up and go by you," Graves said of what makes the freshman so special.

Graves is also high on the rest of his 2022 signees. The class ranked second nationally. Guard Chance Gray was

ESPN's 7th ranked player while guard Jennah Isai was 36th and center Kennedy Basham was 59th.

247SPORTS.COM

Graves believes Grace VanSlooten 'has a chance to be one of the best freshmen in the country'

This is a real "fork-in-the-road" year for Kelly Graves as a coach.  I believe one of our writers will elaborate in the future...

Oregon Ducks Women's Basketball Coach Kelly Graves Previews 2021-22 Team  and Coaching Staff - Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

Mr. FishDuck

Can you elaborate Charles? 

Kind of leaving us hanging there with that statement! 

Coach has made us a top program in the Nation! 

Agreed.  Since the Sabrina era, the team has cooled down significantly. If they don’t get that mojo back soon, they may just settle into the middle of the Pac.

Te-Hina Paopao placed on preseason Liebererman Award watch list

247SPORTS.COM

Te-Hina Paopao placed on preseason Liebererman Award watch list

Oregon women's basketball ranked inside the AP Preseason Top 25

The Associated Press released its preseason Top 25 poll Tuesday morning, and the Ducks clocked in at

No. 20 overall with 206 points. The Ducks are one of three Pac-12 schools ranked. Stanford is No. 2 and Arizona is No. 19.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon women's basketball program will open the upcoming season, ranked inside the Top 25 for the sixth straight year. The Associated Press released its preseason

On 10/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, EOFan said:

Can you elaborate Charles? 

Kind of leaving us hanging there with that statement! 

Coach has made us a top program in the Nation! 

Coach has not made us a top program in the nation. Sabrina did.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, WillieMosconi said:

It is similar to when Mariota left...the program declined under Helfrich.  Nobody on the team wanted to disappoint Marcus, and thus listened to the coaches in 2013 and 2014 when Helf was in charge and Marcus was QB.  

But Graves was a good coach at Gonzaga, creating good teams with one star surrounded by great role players.  Can he coach a team of five-stars?  Can he do it without Mark Campbell or Sabrina?

It will be a very interesting drama to watch play out...

All the Transfers: Does Kelly Graves feel SCORNED? | FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

There’s certainly room to argue that. On the other hand, the record Kelly brought from Gonzaga gave good reason to believe that foundation was continuing with Sabrina. At the very least, it seemed a combination of the two.

Post Sabrina raises the questions. At its worst, one might wonder if Kelly has more in common with Mario’s ability that emphasizes recruiting over coaching? You could argue that the glow of the program lay with Sabrina’s legacy and not Kelly’s coaching as we watched 5* after 5* come and go, apparently disillusioned with the difference between the promise and the reality.

However, you could also argue that Kelly has been playing catch-up ever since riding that heady wave of the Sabrina years, and is only now beginning to get his feet on the ground as he understands what is really required to win at this level.

Only time will tell.

• Applause 1

3 Oregon Ducks named to preseason all-Pac-12 women’s basketball team

Ducks guards Te-Hina Paopao and Endyia Rogers and center Sedona Prince landed on the 15-player team, voted on by the league’s media.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

For the second straight year, Ducks guards Te-Hina Paopao and Endyia Rogers and center Sedona Prince are on the 15-player team, as voted on by the league’s media.

Media selects preseason 2022-23 Pac-12 Women’s Basketball All-Conference Team

PAC-12.COM

SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 unveiled its 2022-23 Women's Basketball Preseason All-Conference Team on Monday in advance of the league's annual media day, scheduled in San Francisco for...

Oregon women's basketball picked inside the Top 3 for preseason polls in Pac-12

The Oregon women's basketball program heads into Kelly Graves' ninth season as the head coach and for yet another year

the Ducks will challenge for the Pac-12 Championship. The preseason Pac-12 polls were released on Tuesday ahead of the league's

media day event and the Ducks were well represented in the media and coaches polls.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon women's basketball program heads into Kelly Graves' ninth season as the head coach and for yet another year the Ducks will challenge for the Pac-12

Oregon’s Kelly Graves hopes rigorous offseason inspection of program returns Ducks to women’s basketball prominence

In the weeks after the season, Graves looked under every basketball, inside every locker and asked every question of players,

to find out what needed focus and improvement.

“Broke it down in seven pages worth, fine print,” Graves said Tuesday at Pac-12 media day. “Even to the point of conducting the halftime speech.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Graves said he and his staff came up with seven pages of typed notes detailing issues that needed focus and change for the upcoming season after the Ducks' first-round NCAA exit last March

WATCH: Kelly Graves and players at Media Day

PAC-12.COM

Oregon women's basketball head coach Kelly Graves, student-athletes Te-Hina Paopao and Endyia Rogers speak to the media at 2022 Pac-12 Women's Basketball Media Day. Follow Pac-12...

Everything Kelly Graves said leading in to Friday's exhibition opener

Oregon women's basketball coach Kelly Graves addressed the media for about 10 minutes prior to Friday's exhibition opener with Carroll College.

Graves addressed the team's health, the impact of several newcomers and what he hopes to get out of the upcoming contest. 

Below is a full transcript of everything Graves said on Wednesday. 

247SPORTS.COM

Everything Kelly Graves said leading in to Friday's exhibition opener

Oregon star forward Sedona Prince dealing with injury ahead of Ducks' season-opener

The season-opener will give Oregon fans their first glimpse at Kelly Graves’ new-look Ducks, which have been bolstered by the

No. 2 recruiting class in the nation, as well as a key transfer portal addition in former Arizona State guard Taya Hanson.

But one player who likely will not be available for the Ducks is star forward Sedona Prince.

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon could be without star forward Sedona Prince early in the season as she works her way through an injury.

Pac-12 women's basketball recruiting at an all-time high

With the top two recruits and seven of the top 10 according to the 2022 espnW HoopGurlz

recruiting rankings selecting Pac-12 schools, the conference is seeing an unprecedented influx of talent.

Five Pac-12 teams have landed top-10 recruiting classes nationally, including the top three,

something that hasn’t happened in the last 15 years, according to conference research.

PAC-12.COM

For its recent standards, Pac-12 women’s basketball had a “down” year in 2021-22. Coming off a spring of 2021 that saw two of its institutions wind up in the national championship game, a 2022...

On 10/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is a real "fork-in-the-road" year for Kelly Graves as a coach.  I believe one of our writers will elaborate in the future...

Oregon Ducks Women's Basketball Coach Kelly Graves Previews 2021-22 Team  and Coaching Staff - Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

This is a bit off subject.  But how in hell does Graves do that with his fingers??!!  'Taint natural.

Oregon wins in exhibition over Carroll College

VanSlooten leads the way in Oregon's blowout victory over Carroll College

True freshman Grace VanSlooten led the way with 12 points for the Ducks, showcasing her high-profile recruiting stature, using her size and skill

to move the ball down the court with ease. VanSlooten, who also finished with nine rebounds, worked plenty in transition as the primary ball handler. 

Endiya Rogers, Te-Hina PaoPao, and Jennah Isai finished in double digits, combining for 33 points, and joined VanSlooten as the players to record 10

or more points. Phillipina Kyei started at center in place of the injured Prince and played well, finishing with seven points, seven rebounds, and three blocks.

Kennedy Basham, a true freshman, finished with three points, five rebounds, and one block. 

247SPORTS.COM

VanSlooten leads the way in Oregon's blowout victory over Carroll College

Duck freshmen shine in exhibition win over Carroll College

In a sloppy 72-41 exhibition win over Carroll College, multiple Oregon true freshmen made their

mark as the Ducks struggled to shoot from outside as a team on Friday night.

“We don’t have the luxury of a deep bench, but I like all ten of our players. I think they can all contribute in positive ways,”

Graves said. “The freshmen — I thought that was a pretty good night overall.” 

247SPORTS.COM

In a sloppy 72-41 exhibition win over Carroll College, multiple Oregon true freshmen made their mark as the Ducks struggled to shoot from outside as a team on Friday night.

On 10/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Agreed.  Since the Sabrina era, the team has cooled down significantly. If they don’t get that mojo back soon, they may just settle into the middle of the Pac.

Sabrina was the Mojo I’m afraid. 

I'm obviously a new poster here and likely too long-winded for many, but, as someone who has watched/attended WBB games for a little over 30 years now, I feel that comments like this one seem to downplay a history with which I am familiar (I wasn't around for the Bev Smith years), as well as undervalue Graves's accomplishments both here and at Gonzaga. 

First, the history (as I see it, at least): 

I began watching/attending games in the late 1980s.  The results were up and down initially--some good teams, some not so good, but after Jody Runge's arrival in 1994 the results improved (and became more consistent) with a couple of league championships around 2000 and multiple NCAA tournament appearances, all of which ended no later than the round of 32.  After Runge was fired, Bev Smith had some early success but her overall results were (like Ernie Kent's) inconsistent (nor were they equal to Runge's) and she was fired after going 14-17 in 2007-08 and  9-21 in 2008-09. 

Pat Kilkenny's pal Paul Westhead then (imo) nearly destroyed the program (only one winning season--18-16--over 5 years), making it a source of bewilderment, if not ridicule, in the process (maybe some folks here remember Geno Auriemma's incredulous reaction to the team's style of play after UCONN obliterated Oregon late in Westhead's tenure). 

Graves's record over the past 6 years (and in a conference far stronger WBB-wise than the one Runge or Smith or Westhead had to navigate) includes 3 Pac12 championships and, in order, two Elite 8's, a Final 4, a really good shot at a national championship derailed by Covid, a Sweet 16, and an NCAA appearance the ended early.  The last two were post-Sabrina and with teams decimated by injuries to key players (Paopao. N. Sabally, Prince).  None of his predecessors over the the history I've summarized are even remotely in that ballpark.  Indeed, as disappointing/frustrating as the last two seasons have been, they are still better than Runge's best, NCAA Tournament-wise, since I don't believe that any of her teams (or Smith's or Heiny's) reached the Sweet 16.

Was Sabrina absolutely central to/the catalyst for his best years?  Of course.  But one could also say something comparable about any successful WBB program or coach. 

Consider the sport's gold standard UCONN for a moment:  if one assumes (as I do) that the Elite 8 is our program's "promised land" at present, then for UCONN it's a national championship.  And they have (I think) 11 of them--with ALL of those teams, and this is my key point, led by at least one current or future Hall of Famer--Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart--3 of whom are in the conversation for the greatest WBB player of all time, not to mention rosters filled with a host of others who are just short of that level.  After the third of Taurasi's titles UCONN didn't win another championship until 5 seasons later. 

So--are we to assume that Auriemma somehow lost the ability to coach and then suddenly rediscovered it?  Or it is more reasonable to assume that an important key to winning another championship (as he has often acknowledged) was the arrival of Maya Moore in Storrs?  In short, having a bunch of uber-talented players on the roster (a bunch of Satou's or Ruthy's in Oregon-speak) apparently wasn't enough for arguably the greatest coach in WBB history; it took someone akin to a Sabrina (or a Taurasi, or, etc., etc.) together with good coaching.  Neither is sufficient by itself.  And, again, Auriemma has himself said that on numerous occasions. 

Now, in the world of WBB Oregon is clearly not UCONN.  Nor is it (at this point) South Carolina or even Louisville.  We don't reload; we rebuild.  So the wait for us post-Sabrina is apt to require some patience, as well as an acknowledgment that the Covid year squad may never be equaled, let alone bettered, even if we hope otherwise (as I do).  There are lots of reasons for this, one of them being that we aren't located in what anyone would call a recruiting hotbed for WBB; another is that Tara and Stanford typically have their pick of the best WBB recruits in our area (and elsewhere), since that school's degree has so much to offer anyone who can qualify (and in WBB that's a hefty number of the best players:  see Cameron Brink from outside Portland). 

In saying this I don't mean to imply that Graves has no flaws or shouldn't be criticized.  In my view, he certainly deserves the latter for not evaluating most of the members of the heralded 2020 recruiting class very accurately (as does Mark Campbell, who, if I've got the years right, was the lead recruiter for that group).  And there other (negative) things to be said as well.  But, at this point, I think he deserves more credit, as well as more patience, that some folks seem willing to give.

On a less defensive note:  based on the Friday exhibition, I believe that the top 3 recruits in this year's class are a major upgrade over the trio that left after last season--in talent, certainly, but also in athleticism,  speed, attitude, motor, commitment, basically anything that comes to mind.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 2

Do we have a post of the year category?  Well reasoned, well stated, well done. 

Encouraging to hear the newcomers are an upgrade in talent.  I look forward to the upcoming WBB season and, hopefully, more evaluations by the above poster.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, McDuck said:

Do we have a post of the year category?  Well reasoned, well stated, well done. 

Encouraging to hear the newcomers are an upgrade in talent.  I look forward to the upcoming WBB season and, hopefully, more evaluations by the above poster.

I agree.  That was an outstanding post, and I hope that jonson will post often.  I learned a ton from the post, in particular the line about the five year span of no NCs for UCONN.  No, Gene did not lose his coaching skill, and that is a good example for those of us who might be a bit critical of Coach Graves.

We will have articles about Womens Basketball this winter, as Drex has an interest, as do many of our readers.  (As do I!)

Again...I want to welcome you jonson, and please post your thoughts often.  (Football is good too!)

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Here is an ESPN story on impact freshmen, with a bit of a write-up on VanSlooten.  There is a similar article on the Athletic, but since it's only available to subscribers I can't link it.  However, both Gray and VanSlooten make their list of the top 15 freshmen.  (There are 4 others on the list from the Pac12; no other team has two.)  It points out that, among other things,  Gray is the #2 point guard in the class and VanSlooten will be (their words) a "mismatch nightmare."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34913241/instant-impact-freshmen-2022-women-college-basketball-preview

Edited by jonson
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WATCH: Kelly Graves discusses depth concerns and previews season opener

Graves discussed the depth concerns after losing Sedona Prince and how the team will manage through this season

with 10 players. He also spoke in detail about Monday's season-opener with Northwestern and what to expect in that game. 

Welcome @jonson

Hope to read more of your observations on OBD!

Kelly Graves lands commitment from 2023 4-star Samantha Wagner

According to ESPN’s rankings, Wagner is the No. 42 ranked player in the 2023 class. She will join both

4-star Sofia Bell out of Jesuit, Oregon, and 4-star Sarah Rombus, out of IMG Academi in Florida.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks landed a commitment from 4-star wing Samantha Wagner, the No. 42 player in the 2023 class.