bretcole

Oregon Has to Go to the B1G!

I have realized that Oregon has to go to the big 10 if it gets invited. If it wants to survive in the future and here are a few reasons:

1. Phil knight is 84 when he dies does the piggy bank dry up, does it make it harder to pay to keep coaches, does it make it harder to do NIL, can we stay on the same level monetary wise as the SEC or the BIG 10 because the disparities will be to much if we stay in the pac 12/10

2. I think we have to go or we could loose a seat at the table when becomes the power 2 instead of the power 5

3. Oregon is being held back by all the teams in the pac 12/10 that don't really care/invest the same amount into football or basketball

Yeah we might loose some rivalry's and teams we have played forever but with we can still play Oregon state as a non conference game and beat the snot out of the rest of the BIG 10 which hopefully includes Cal, Stanford, and Washington I think we will be fine

Sometimes everybody's thinks change is bad but in the end we best decision the university has ever made.

• Thumbs Up 2

As I wrote in another thread....

Let's see how it all shakes out between 1) the new media contract and 2) a separate streaming contract.  That, and 3) the ability to get more the bowl/playoff money from our conference, (if you are the team going) and 4) the increased split for the Pac-12 from the new Playoff Contract.

Way too early to predict our demise IMHO, as those are four major elements that affect our future that are yet to be known.

Pac 12 Logo_video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, bretcole said:

Phil knight is 84 when he dies does the piggy bank dry up, does it make it harder to pay to keep coaches, does it make it harder to do NIL, can we stay on the same level monetary wise as the SEC or the BIG 10 because the disparities will be to much if we stay in the pac 12/10

The knights already have a plan in place to keep supporting Oregon financially for some time after Phil's eventually passing. 

A lot of money is tied up in investments to continue paying out to Oregon for years to come. 

It may be less or certainly less over time but it won't just dry up overnight. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Agree to respectfully disagree.

• Thumbs Up 3

My opinion is that the PAC will not only survive but thrive as well. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/15/2022 at 6:35 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

My opinion is that the PAC will not only survive but thrive as well. 

Just read a good article from Wilner who along with Canzano have been big PAC 12 advocates. Even he is stating that the PAC will dissolve at some point,  the BIG 10 will expand their western pod, and the four corners schools will leave for the BIG 12 leaving 3 super conferences. He called it inevitable. He thinks 5 years, I personally believe it will be sooner. 

I like yours and everyone's optimism but I just don't see it happening. Time will tell

On 10/15/2022 at 3:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

As I wrote in another thread....

Let's see how it all shakes out between 1) the new media contract and 2) a separate streaming contract.  That, and 3) the ability to get more the bowl/playoff money from our conference, (if you are the team going) and 4) the increased split for the Pac-12 from the new Playoff Contract.

Way too early to predict our demise IMHO, as those are four major elements that affect our future that are yet to be known.

Pac 12 Logo_video.jpg

The arrogance the Presidents displayed warrants relegating then to the academic prowess they believe they are..

I want my pound of flesh.  They ignored the one sport that covers the entire athletic department's finances. Conference wide. 

USC is an Academic Power.  They prioritize both their athletic and academic reputation, as they should.

The conference should suffer the consequences accordingly.  Let them draw their Rhoades Scholars.  They deserve Academic Trophies. That's exactly where they belong. 

• Go Ducks! 1

I have realized that Oregon has to go to the big 10 if it gets invited. If it wants to survive in the future and here are a few reasons:

1. Phil knight is 84 when he dies does the piggy bank dry up, does it make it harder to pay to keep coaches, does it make it harder to do NIL, can we stay on the same level monetary wise as the SEC or the BIG 10 because the disparities will be to much if we stay in the pac 12/10

2. I think we have to go or we could loose a seat at the table when becomes the power 2 instead of the power 5

3. Oregon is being held back by all the teams in the pac 12/10 that don't really care/invest the same amount into football or basketball

Yeah we might loose some rivalry's and teams we have played forever but with we can still play Oregon state as a non conference game and beat the snot out of the rest of the BIG 10 which hopefully includes Cal, Stanford, and Washington I think we will be fine

Sometimes everybody's thinks change is bad but in the end we best decision the university has ever made.

With all due respect to you Mike, Oregon will survive whether or not they get pulled into the B1G vortex.  What may not survive is the Pac.  Oh, the various schools left behind will certainly survive, as will their programs.  But it might be a much weakened and less respected conference until the other schools pull themselves up by the straps and the two leaving are replaced by two others good schools.

Utah and WSU and OSU are holding their own in the conference this year.  And besides, name us a conference which does not have at least a couple (or a few) 'weak perrenials'.  The big schools in each conference all need some - to bolster their own records if for no other reason.  I just think people are getting too alarmed by what I see as a huge mistake that USC and tag-along UCLA are about to make.  

I think Oregon will do just fine if they stay put, with or without Phil Knight.  But I certainly respect your opinion and am willing to concede I could be totally wrong on this.   GO OREGON!

Edited by Mic

One thing I forget got to add we might be able to keep are coaches long term if we move to the big 10!

Edited by bretcole
  • Go Ducks! 1

Not ready to go there yet.  Besides, even after Uncle Phil flys off the the Great Gig in the Sky, there'll probably be some sort of Trust Fund set up - some sort of perpetual Memorial Endowment for posterity.  At least, that's everyone's hope.  

ps:  don't forget Oregon did make it to 2 National Championship games right here where they are.  Even after USC flees for the cold winds in Michigan and Ohio a 12-0 winner of the Pac-whatever, (13-0 after the Championship game) will be invited to play in the Natty, esp if they go to a 12-team format.

Well, that’s entirely up to the B1G and it seems pretty clear they don’t want their fingerprints on the metaphorical knife that kills the conference. 

At this juncture the four corner schools are the glue holding the conference together.  If for some reason they decide life would be better in the B12 then that is likely when an Oregon move happens because the B1G can pose as a rescuer. 

But not until then (or some future date when the B1G is less worried about being seen as killing off another conference) Oregon is staying put.

Standing pat for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with CalBear95.  The ACC kind of killed Big East Football and the Big Ten may feel they don't want to be responsible for the end of the Pac.

Thought I would give you some going on's in the Big Ten that may not be reported.

Saw an article off Virginia Tech Sidelines.  It was an article out of the Indy Star with Mitch Daniels (President of Purdue).

WWW.INDYSTAR.COM

Does outgoing Purdue President Mitch Daniels favor more expansion in the Big Ten Conference?

A few takes from the article.

When you talk about expansion, it's served important purposes. Certainly, the eastward expansion was a little awkward, but I think that hasn't worked out badly. Now, the grab for the LA market and my own personal view – a good time for a timeout. Let's see how we can digest this situation, let's at least see how we intend to because I don't think anybody has yet and I haven't seen a plan for what that world would look like. I mean, I don't think we're going to send our softball team to LA on a frequent basis to just be a little flip about things but, I think it would be wise to, at least, have an agreed-upon design for the 16 before we plunge ahead to some bigger number. Carmin: Well, your commissioner has mentioned 20.Daniels: I know, and that might be the right answer. I can't say it's not. I think the westward move is a much longer move, not just in mileage, but in concept than the expansions we've seen over the previous 10 years. I just think caution would be in order here. There's not that much more money in it, I don't think. People have somewhat overrated and overstated in going beyond 16. I think people have a little bit overestimated the incremental money of the LA schools. It's real. It's not as big as some people have thought beyond what we would have had anyway.

I'm not saying 18 is wrong. I'm not saying 20 is wrong. Others will make those calls. I just think that we can … let’s get the rules of engagement set. Let's get comfortable with the latest move first. I just think that it would be prudent.

Insight on the USC/UCLA addition.

Carmin: When were the presidents brought into the recent expansion discussion? How far in the process did you guys know what was happening or going to happen?

Daniels: Fair question but I don't think I’d better talk about inside baseball.

Carmin: That's why I asked the question – I want inside baseball.

Daniels: Well, OK, I haven't ducked any yet.

Carmin: Was it a week or a month in advance? Two months in advance?

Daniels: It was in advance. I don't think I should talk about that.

Carmin: But in your mind was it an easy yes because of the financial impact?

Daniels: I don’t want to talk about that. What happens in those meetings should stay there.

BTW - Mitch Daniels leaves at the end of year as President of Purdue.  Your guy went to NW.  Michigan has a new President as well. Not sure if any where else.  But Presidents coming and going does not make it easy on stability.  Need to bring the new people up to speed on their University as well as the Big Ten and its inner workings.

I still believe at the end of the day, that Oregon, UW, Cal and Stanford end up in the Big Ten.  Just a matter of time.

Good luk.

I respect your views airspace, and really appreciate the information you have brought to us.  But in the end--most of us do not want to join the B1G, and would prefer for the Pac-12 to survive.

This might mean at Oregon we spend the same on football as B1G teams do, but have to cut other sports.  But so much is yet to be learned:

--What is the 12 team playoff going to pay?

--What is the new TV and Streaming contracts going to pay Pac-12 schools?

--If the team going to the Playoff or bowl game gets 50% of the take with the rest divided 11 ways--the winners are rewarded.  We have yet to learn if this will happen in our conference.

--It will be easier to make a 12 team Playoff in the Pac-12, and receive that extra money than being in the B1G, IMHO.

So, you could be correct eventually, but if I'm going to play in snow--I want it to be in Pullman, and not Minneapolis or Madison, or.....  This whole episode has made many of us value our traditions on the west coast, and our connections with the schools in our conference.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Man I hope that Oregon never goes to the B1G. I've said it before and will say again, The B1G plays boring football and is the most overrated conference in America. Assuming the money distribution stays reasonably competitive in the PAC-12, I firmly believe the Ducks would be better off right where they are. 

I don't know about USC, but I suspect that UCLA will eventually regret their move to the Midwest. Imagine playing mid-week basketball games in Maryland or Rutgers.  This is nuts from a travel point of view, And having lived in the Midwest, the BIG fan bases will certainly not welcome the California schools with open arms.

Just my $.02 worth and sorry if these points have already been made over the past couple months.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think everyone involved in the LA schools going to the B1G may have buyers remorse in a few years. Especially if no one joins them, the travel is a killer (and all the other good reasons that Bill Walton pointed out - especially for the student athletes).

If the LA schools want to come back to the PAC sometime in the future, there needs to be a PAC to come back to. 

The PAC will be fine without them in the mean time.

Finally, with as much hatred that has been directed at the LA schools for being "back stabbing traitors", I don't want OBD to be in that position. We call them bad names for what they have done... and then we join them???   Not me!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/5/2022 at 7:06 AM, cartm25 said:

Is this assertion you make a hunch, or is there a documented/reported on plan?

Details are unknown by the general public but the story has quietly circulated for well over a decade.  It has credence because it is consistent with the way Phil Knight operates.  My hunch is Oregon will have one of the best endowed athletic departments in college sports when all is said and done.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the comments and ideas being presented in this thread. The passion for tradition and rivalry is strong in this Forim.

Here's my pennys worth of opinion:

This deal was made in secret with only usucks greed and recruiting future as the driving forces. If Oregon and UW were wanted by the BIG, well they would have been part of the discussion from the start.

It might be difficult for some on this forum but the Ducks were not desired. I have a feeling that FOX Sports was behind this, too. They stole the SoCal market from ESPN, the PAC and all its fans. They are banking that all the West Coast fans will watch the 2 traitors in the prime time evening slots. My only interest in usuck and uclasuck is because they are in the PAC. That stops after next season.

Wont be watching a,single game these 2 play unless its a matchup with PAC Members. You vote with your dollars (aka remote).  SoCal fans are fair weather fans, so those 2 teams must win big to drive numbers.

As for the PAC future? The networks have clearly stated the PAC's value.

FOX is not interested. ESPN low balled the PAC. Then the wimpy, weeny left overs in the BIG 12 just set the bar lower.

Time will tell. I am with Charles on this. Going to enjoy this year and next year. Then I will fully support the Ducks no matter what happens.

GO DUCKS.........

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's look at this a bit differently and ignore the media rights payout. 

There are 259 CFB players drafted into the NFL each year.  The numbers by position vary and have fluctuated each year.  Let's focus on the alpha dog's, QB's.  Checking here the average number over 5 years is about 11.  Now the one thing we can say is that those 11 QB's can't play on the same team and with the transfer portal the reality is those 11 QB's are going to spread out for play time in college.  That means 11 teams will get NFL draftable QB's. 

How about defensive ends?  The average is about 22.  Do you see where I'm going with this?  CFB is the minors for the NFL and for the players to get drafted they have to highlight themselves with playtime.  I've read more than a few articles talking about two super conferences but I ask you, how many teams are there that can put together programs? 

The SEC is tops with about 5, adding Oklahoma and Texas doesn't necessarily improve that number but lets be generous and say 6.  The bottom of the SEC is pretty bad. 

The Big is 3 and maybe USC brings it to 4, maybe.  The question is does revenue give the Big the opportunity to turn that number into 7?

Resources are one piece of the puzzle but organization and fan support is also pretty  impactful.  In order for two conferences to get all 259 players they would need about 25 teams to hold ALL of the talent in CFB.  How likely do you think that is and how likely would it be for the transfer portal to level the playing field?

Oregon had Bo, Bucky, Noah, Cota and Gonzo all transfer in this year.  Why did Bo leave Auburn? 

I think the thing to remember is that Oregon is not in this alone--Washington, Cal, Stanford, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St, and Oregon St are all major research universities with fairly large endowments. Its up to the leaders of these institutions to make sure we get the respect these institutions deserve. Come on George, lets get this TV $$ ASAP!!

One other note-- The PAC still has some pretty big TV markets. We're no slouch.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:06 AM, cartm25 said:

Is this assertion you make a hunch, or is there a documented/reported on plan?

A bunch of insiders have stated it repeatedly over the past couple of years. 

So being as that information is well over 24 hours old I figured it's fair game to share..

Guy's are we jumping the gun. The regents are going to meet before the New Year. We still don't know for sure if they are going to let UCLA go or not.

Hope not.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I respect your views airspace, and really appreciate the information you have brought to us.  But in the end--most of us do not want to join the B1G, and would prefer for the Pac-12 to survive.

This might mean at Oregon we spend the same on football as B1G teams do, but have to cut other sports.  But so much is yet to be learned:

--What is the 12 team playoff going to pay?

--What is the new TV and Streaming contracts going to pay Pac-12 schools?

--If the team going to the Playoff or bowl game gets 50% of the take with the rest divided 11 ways--the winners are rewarded.  We have yet to learn if this will happen in our conference.

--It will be easier to make a 12 team Playoff in the Pac-12, and receive that extra money than being in the B1G, IMHO.

So, you could be correct eventually, but if I'm going to play in snow--I want it to be in Pullman, and not Minneapolis or Madison, or.....  This whole episode has made many of us value our traditions on the west coast, and our connections with the schools in our conference.

I also hope the conference stays together and can earn enough to be highly competitive.  The CFP expansion will help a lot in this regard.  

The PAC is harmed by its time zone, not the quality of play per se.  Our prime time is bed time for ~65% of the country.  

I do hope UCLA is forced to stay but I am not hopeful that will happen.  

If not, Oregon and the PAC are going to want to aggressively schedule (and win) home/home against the EST teams to increase their visibility 

Edited by CalBear95