Dave23

Utah Beats USC 43-42! Game Thread

USC looks to have the edge early but Utah's looked good till the lost contain on Williams.

USC offensive line is getting better. 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:19 PM, debbieduck said:

USC offensive line is getting better.

And their D as well.

USC's O is way too talented for Utah's D they just don't have the speed.

Ducks D will really need a great game plan to slow down USC's O.

Ughh... I really hate seeing USC winning. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/15/2022 at 6:44 PM, David Marsh said:

Ughh... I really hate seeing USC winning. 

Only thing that makes it worse is the Homer announcer and some RB that we don't speak of.

Edited by Dave23
  • Haha 1

This doesn't feel like the Utah team of last year. USC is looking good, but Utah has made some mistakes that have helped USC. 

Should be an interesting measure of the south. Just like Oregon vs UCLA next week. 

Either way, the Pac12 has shown that it has more than 1 team that can contend for a Playoff spot... Given the right circumstances.

Edited by Krsmqn

That roughing the passer was a bit ticky tacky.

I hate to say it, but USC the most talented team in the conference. 

On 10/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, SoGaDawg said:

It was but for PAC-12 refs that's pretty normal. They really like to make it a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:52 PM, SoGaDawg said:

That's Pac12 refs for ya! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

That's a fair discussion point. But so is that fact that Utah is the first ranked opponent for USC, and let's face it, Utah isn't firing on all cylinders. The battle for LA should be telling.

I think Oregon has their match. 

Oregon has one of the best offensive lines in the country and I honestly believe that. They held their own against Georgia... And Nix probably would have done better if he didn't roll out of the pocket so much that game in truth. 

I watched a bunch of other teams have their lines get gashed by opponents defensive lines and these teams were higher ranked than Oregon. 

Penn State was destroyed by Michigan. Tenn and Bama both look mortal on the offensive line side of things and we will get a better comparison when Tennessee plays Georgia. 

USC's line is just good enough to give Williams time to find some incredible recievers.

But I don't think USC's defense can touch Nix. 

Keep in mind Oregon's line has given up one sack this year and it was for -1 yard. 

If it comes down to Oregon v USC in the championship game, it is going to be exciting. 

Keep in mind too that Oregon's defense is improving at a spectacular pace as well. 

• Like 3

Someone mentioned it earlier, USC’s speed is a big problem for Utah. 

On 10/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, Krsmqn said:

That's a fair discussion point. But so is that fact that Utah is the first ranked opponent for USC, and let's face it, Utah isn't firing on all cylinders. The battle for LA should be telling.

They have the best 22 players.

Their defensive backs man up at the line  too.  

On 10/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, David Marsh said:

I think Oregon has their match. 

Oregon has one of the best offensive lines in the country and I honestly believe that. They held their own against Georgia... And Nix probably would have done better if he didn't roll out of the pocket so much that game in truth. 

I watched a bunch of other teams have their lines get gashed by opponents defensive lines and these teams were higher ranked than Oregon. 

Penn State was destroyed by Michigan. Tenn and Bama both look mortal on the offensive line side of things and we will get a better comparison when Tennessee plays Georgia. 

USC's line is just good enough to give Williams time to find some incredible recievers.

But I don't think USC's defense can touch Nix. 

Keep in mind Oregon's line has given up one sack this year and it was for -1 yard. 

If it comes down to Oregon v USC in the championship game, it is going to be exciting. 

Keep in mind too that Oregon's defense is improving at a spectacular pace as well. 

Fair enough.  But on same note, who have we played?   We haven’t played a top 30 team since Georgia.  BYU stinks. 

Edited by debbieduck

This is the second time I have seen Utah play this year. I think they were over-rated coming into this year.

They are not the team from last year and everyone assumed they would be just as strong.

Also, I think the Ducks made the Utes look like a great team by beating us twice in a season last year.

The ducks by then were injury plagued with a coach who had mentally checked out on his way to Miami. 

Wouldn't it be great it we could meet USC at the Pac-12 Championships? I think we can stay with them and bypass them!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 6:05 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They have the best 22 players.

I completely respect your opinion, however, at this point in the season, I myself won't be agreeing with you. 

• Applause 1

And Utah somehow climbs back into the game? I wouldn't bet them right now down a score, but if you watched USC in Corvallis .................

Utah is getting behind the line of scrimmage and getting pressure on Williams. Let's see how that continues to be a factor. 

Early game USC's online has lots of energy and that can be a reason why as the game goes on more penetration happens. 

I want Williams jersey tested for teflon spray.

Be glad your ducks have a defense. So hard to sit here and root for a team that has a good offense and no defense.

Great response from Utah offense!

• Thumbs Up 2

And now we have a game!

And Stanford leading Notre Dame 13-0 in the 3rd?

• Applause 1

Yes!!!

No catch

Can't help but think how weird it is to be a ute fan on a duck forum on an in game thread against USC. thanks for having me around here.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well done Utah. You're now back in the game.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, FreddyD said:

Can't help but think how weird it is to be a ute fan on a duck forum on an in game thread against USC. thanks for having me around here.

The fun part is most everyone is rooting for Utah.

Even though it'd be nice to take on an undefeated USC in the PAC championship if we finish our side of the business.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't know if maybe this has already be discussed (haven't read much on the forum today) but I'll bet it seems weird to you guys to see Travis Dye in a Trojans uniform.  Such an old school hard working, hustling kid. And if I remember right there was no clear reason given as to why he transferred.

Won't likely play at the next level. Seems to be just working hard and playing hard for the college memories.

Sweet!

On 10/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, FreddyD said:

but I'll bet it seems weird to you guys to see Travis Dye in a Trojans uniform.  Such an old school hard working, hustling kid. And if I remember right there was no clear reason given as to why he transferred.

I believe he transfered because it is closer to home for him and to be honest he was looking at a new coaching staff anyways. 

Also we all suspect there is a decent financial package for him as well. That was never confirmed but we all feel that is probably the case. 

I don't have any I'll will towards Travis but I just want to see the Trojans lose every chance they get. 

And we are tied.

As much as it in theory help Oregon into a playoff spot to play an undefeated USC in the Pac-12 Championship game ...

I can't do it, can't root for USC, hope they lose then lose out. There must be a path to the playoff without having to ever root for USC (or Washington).

Ok, now we are not tied. First team to 45 wins?

Edited by AnotherOD

Utah on Offense: They just might pull this off.

Utah on Defense: Maybe not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gotta love how the refs missed that wide receiver hold on that touchdown play. He was just dragging the Utah DB backwards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:28 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Utah on Offense: They just might pull this off.

Utah on Defense: Maybe not.

So hard to watch our defense get pushed around. Coach Whittingham is a hard nosed, no nonsense defensive guy. Its just so out of character to see us weak on D.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:29 PM, David Marsh said:

Gotta love how the refs missed that wide receiver hold on that touchdown play. He was just dragging the Utah DB backwards. 

my thought too. But seems like more and more they allow that hand full of jersey and you pretty much have to tackle someone to get called for holding.

USC may sqeak out this one...

The Pac-12 refs dig up that blindsided block (or at least work pretty hard to get there), but then miss a pretty obvious hold in the end zone.

That's a safety and instead it's a USC first down. If you are gonna let the hold go, you let the borderline blindsided block go, or call them both.

Edited by AnotherOD

finally a little bit of defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

No quit in Utah

Spoiled Children be gettin' Olivia Newton John'd right now, by the Utes!

Physical D... 

Edited by woundedknees

You guys don't ahve a lot to worry about USC. Bo Nix will shred these guys.

I'd like to take this moment to thank Stanford for hanging in there and beating Notre Dame.

• Applause 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:49 PM, AnotherOD said:

The Pac-12 refs dig up that blindsided block (or at least work pretty hard to get there), but then miss a pretty obvious hold in the end zone.

That's a safety and instead it's a USC first down. If you are gonna let the hold go, you let the borderline blindsided block go, or call them both.

LHfm5y8Y_400x400.jpg.ec80009cf4897437dde2fd61f2cc647e.jpg

On 10/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, FreddyD said:

You guys don't ahve a lot to worry about USC. Bo Nix will shred these guys.

Depends on which Bo shows up.

USC’s QB has really poor body language when he faces adversity. I noticed it in the Oregon State game, as well.