Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Utah Knocks Off USC -- and the Pac-12 Smiles

And like the article said, the Pac-12 will smile when Utah and Oregon play for the Pac-10 Championship, with the socal schools watching from home.

I did listen to Lincoln Riley post game interview and the guy fits right in with the sc culture. He said, I'll paraphrase, they almost blew out Utah on several occasions and the refs blew it for us.

I thought I didn't like sc and Riley before the interview. He couldn't just say Utah was a great team and it was a hard fought game, the definition of a putz.

I will say the sc passing game is effective, the transfer machine worked for their passing attack. Their running game wasn't so effective against Utah.

Utah is a good team and showed how hard it is to win on the road in the Pac-12, and I suppose in the SEC, right Alabama? 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 6:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

And like the article said, the Pac-12 will smile when Utah and Oregon play for the Pac-10 Championship, with the socal schools watching from home.

I'm not sure that is going to happen though. 

As it is not north v South this year I can see Utah getting boxed out of the championship game. 

Utah holds the tie breaker on USC but UCLA holds the tie breaker on them.

So as it stands right now for it to be Oregon v Utah, Oregon needs to go undefeated in conference play so they hold all the tie breakers. 

So for Utah to get to the championship game... Utah has to win out, but Oregon needs to beat them too. USC needs to beat UCLA but lose another game along the way, which is possible but not feeling likely. 

The chaotic mess is difficult to figure out here. 

Right now I feel the likely scinario will be Oregon v UCLA as a rematch for the conference championship... But there is still a lot a LOT of football to play until then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:39 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm not sure that is going to happen though. 

Not sure at all, just an emotional response, as usual.

I would just as soon see the LA schools lose the rest of their games, but that probably won't happen as my emotional radar skews everything.

I am pretty sure Oregon will win out, that I know!

• Go Ducks! 2

On 10/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am pretty sure Oregon will win out, that I know!

They keep playing up to their standard and I would agree with that. 

This year in the PAC is also all about the home town heroes.... And thankfully Oregon has UCLA, Utah and Washington at home. 

Not sure if teams are just playing better at home or just playing so much worse away. But away teams seem to be losing at a higher rate than usual. 

• Thumbs Up 1

PAC-12.COM

Official Pac-12 Conference football standings.

Here are the current standings and tie breaker rules.

Oregon just needs to take care of business and they are in.

Utah's least complicated way to get in is win out and UCLA winning out.

Oregon and Utah getting in.  I'll let someone else figure that out.

Edited by savagefund
  • Thumbs Up 1

I read the thread saying that it was in our best interest for SC to win last night. It didn’t sit right.
2 minutes into watching that game I saw a dirty kick to the head of a Ute on the ground, by a trojan. I thought to myself, there is no way I’m pulling for SC! I can’t stand them. Go Utah!!

What a scrappy win. Rising is a dude. Kincaid is a dude. That two point conversion is what football should be, playing to win. 
Helluva win, Utah. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 6:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

I did listen to Lincoln Riley post game interview and the guy fits right in with the sc culture. He said, I'll paraphrase, they almost blew out Utah on several occasions and the refs blew it for us.

I thought I didn't like sc and Riley before the interview. He couldn't just say Utah was a great team and it was a hard fought game, the definition of a putz.

I couldn't agree more! I thought the same thing after listening to him ... that he totally exudes the SC 'vibe'. They 'could have overtaken the game on several occasions', (but didn't...haha!) 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 8:58 AM, JMac said:

I read the thread saying that it was in our best interest for SC to win last night. It didn’t sit right.
2 minutes into watching that game I saw a dirty kick to the head of a Ute on the ground, by a trojan. I thought to myself, there is no way I’m pulling for SC! I can’t stand them. Go Utah!!

What a scrappy win. Rising is a dude. Kincaid is a dude. That two point conversion is what football should be, playing to win. 
Helluva win, Utah. 

The refs helped Utah three crucial times.  But now that USC lost I can root against them from here on out.  

I think due to our loss to Georgia, UCLA is the last remaining hope for a PAC team in the playoffs.  

I think UCLA  has a better defense than Oregon, Utah, and USC.  Unless Oregon proves me wrong this Saturday.  

Go Ducks. 

On 10/16/2022 at 6:07 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Utes beat USC 43-42 on Saturday.

I've never been a big fan of Canzano over the years but I'm starting to be - a little.  I'll tip my hat to him for this funny quote: "Transfer Portal All-Star Team" in reference to the Trojans.  That's a good one.  I sure hope Oregon doesn't turn into one as well.  The Utah win was one for the Pac.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dear Coach Riley,

The rest of the sporting world feels your pain and the immense injustice that the Pac12 refs inflicted on your team. Welcome to the club. From what the rest of us could observe, your team fought hard and played a great game. But the officiating was not the deciding factor. The grit,  heart and determination of your opponent, in Utah, was. You had multiple opportunities to put the Utes away. You did not. The refs simply balanced the iffy calls on both sides of the ball

You lost to the gutsier team and coach. You won the early game. Utah finished better. You have talented 5☆ transfers. Utah has committed 3-4☆ players that play for each other and their coach. You whine. Coach Winningham humbly thanks his players and praises their moxie. Quite simply, you don't have a big enough suitcase to carry Coach W's brass.

You can now go back to your 17 million dollar crib, lick your wounds, and revel in the reality that the promised move from the Pac12 to your coveted BIG will occur. Then you can live with that move. Perhaps humility will follow in it's wake.

PS: Watching the 2012 Oregon v USC game never gets old. 

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

"We’re a no excuse program."  So says Lincoln Riley.  Never guess that from his quotes in this article.

WWW.ON3.COM

Lincoln Riley wasn't shy about calling out poor officiating in USC-Utah, but he also wasn't using that as an excuse for losing.

• Applause 1

USC losing always brings a smile to my face. Especially, with their new $10 million/year coach, and fan predictions of reaching the CFP this year.

Not so fast troy boys, you may not even be the best team in SoCal. 

I can’t get too caught up in CFP “what if” scenarios halfway through a football season. Too many games and too much work left to be done. Oregon getting to just the PAC 12 Championship game is still in doubt.

I know that if Oregon wins good things happen. Look forward to see how the second half of this season plays out. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/17/2022 at 7:19 AM, McDuck said:

"We’re a no excuse program."  So says Lincoln Riley.  Never guess that from his quotes in this article.

WWW.ON3.COM

Lincoln Riley wasn't shy about calling out poor officiating in USC-Utah, but he also wasn't using that as an excuse for losing.

Boo hoo, could woulda shoulda. A loss is a loss, you got beat by a team who outplayed you with the game on the line.  Did the officials prevent your defense from a fourth down stop on Utah's last TD, or a stop on the 2-point conversion?  Didn't think so, ha ha.

Cry my a river.

Edited by noDucknewby