NJDuck

5 Questions for Oregon Ducks to Answer Throughout Rest of Season

Win against UCLA could potentially catapult Oregon up the rankings and into the conversation for a spot in the CFP should they find a way to win out.  Five questions Zachery Neal brought up.

What do you think about these questions?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Can Bo Nix keep playing at this pace? Will Dan Lanning’s youth ever show? Our questions for the Ducks going into the second-half of the season.

A very interesting question...."will Dan Lanning's youth ever show?"  With all the surprises this season--I sure did not see that one coming.  He is coaching this team like a veteran thus far, and it is a very intriguing question.

Oregon Announces Dan Lanning As New Leader Of Oregon Football - University  of Oregon Athletics

Mr. FishDuck

I think the UCLA game will answer most of these questions. 

This will be coach Lannings biggest test since Georgia. UCLA compares very well to us in offense. Can we slow them down?

I think this game will require his best decision making. A real chess match between an offensive guru and a stellar defensive mind.

Dillingham will also need to have a great game plan for Bo, who I think is now a proven commodity. 

Should be a classic match up.

I'm glad it's in Autzen. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A very interesting question...."will Dan Lanning's youth ever show?"  With all the surprises this season--I sure did not see that one coming.  He is coaching this team like a veteran thus far, and it is a very intriguing question.

This is a great question. I agree he seems like a veteran so far.

I think his youth showed up in the Georgia game. Some time in the past week or so, Lanning said they expected too much from the team in the Georgia game. That they tried to give them too much info to get them game-ready. Maybe that's why they looked shell shocked and unprepared for much of the game. He made adjustments and the team was ready for the next games.

Lanning, to me, seems aware of himself and ready to improve if necessary.  He doesn't do a lot of needless talking and seems very composed for a young, new head coach. 

The coach that seems like he might find himself in a 'youth moment' is Dillingham, imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, DimpleDucks said:

This is a great question. I agree he seems like a veteran so far.

I think his youth showed up in the Georgia game. Some time in the past week or so, Lanning said they expected too much from the team in the Georgia game. That they tried to give them too much info to get them game-ready. Maybe that's why they looked shell shocked and unprepared for much of the game. He made adjustments and the team was ready for the next games.

Lanning, to me, seems aware of himself and ready to improve if necessary.  He doesn't do a lot of needless talking and seems very composed for a young, new head coach. 

The coach that seems like he might find himself in a 'youth moment' is Dillingham, imo.

Coach Dillingham is a fantastic OC!  Genius in his Xs and Os.  Once we are in the red zone, we need to succeed in getting TDs, not field goals.  Especially with UCLA.

“Oregon was embarrassed by the Utes last year on a couple of national stages and effectively put an end to the Mario Cristobal era in Eugene. “
I thought Mari no O was offered a huge raise and turned it down to go home to the U. He was hardly run out of town for his miserable performance against the Utes.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Oregon Announces Dan Lanning As New Leader Of Oregon Football - University  of Oregon Athletics

Jahlil Florence is making an impression. 

But the big thing is that we don't need the youth this year. Let them learn and be ready for next year! 

On 10/16/2022 at 4:32 PM, David Marsh said:

Jahlil Florence is making an impression. 

But the big thing is that we don't need the youth this year. Let them learn and be ready for next year! 

I think some of us are talking about two different things. 🙂

I thought Charles took NJDuck's comment to mean Dan Lanning's 'youth', that being his age and position as a young head coach. I answered with that thought in mind. But I see others took it as 'the youth' of the team meaning, I guess, Lanning's recruits. I wasn't referring to players.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think a big question is can Dan Lanning beat a top ten program, UCLA can fix that.

I also think winning a conference championship is also unanswered. First he needs to beat our big rivals, the dawgs and the beavs. These are two important games for the program.

Winning a bowl game is also a line he needs to cross. If he was to win the Rose Bowl he just might be given Duck Sainthood, I think many may have already given it to him.

Putting together a top 10 recruiting class is also something he needs to do. He has a nice start, but the depth of the class needs to be deep.

Lastly he needs to develop talent. A concept I have been thinking about is how coaches who can't develop qb's don't last too long. Going the transfer route doesn't count either. We need another coach who can both pick qb talent and develop it, again. Winning the recruiting battle is only the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 6:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

Lastly he needs to develop talent.

The steady progress of the young corner backs has been promising. I'm almost already looking forward to next year to see the one year progress report.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, DimpleDucks said:

Charles took NJDuck's comment to mean Dan Lanning's 'youth',

Yes, that is one of the questions the article referred to...Coach Lanning's youth.

People often comment on an article by just looking at the title and they don't even read it!  Happens often on my articles....people write stuff in the comments that makes me roll my eyes.  (Because I dealt with their observation in the article, and they don't realize they've just been busted) 

No biggie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/16/2022 at 6:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

I do think a big question is can Dan Lanning beat a top ten program, UCLA can fix that.

I also think winning a conference championship is also unanswered. First he needs to beat our big rivals, the dawgs and the beavs. These are two important games for the program.

Winning a bowl game is also a line he needs to cross. If he was to win the Rose Bowl he just might be given Duck Sainthood, I think many may have already given it to him.

Putting together a top 10 recruiting class is also something he needs to do. He has a nice start, but the depth of the class needs to be deep.

Lastly he needs to develop talent. A concept I have been thinking about is how coaches who can't develop qb's don't last too long. Going the transfer route doesn't count either. We need another coach who can both pick qb talent and develop it, again. Winning the recruiting battle is only the start.

I think these are great metrics for determining the 'greatness' and success of all the coaches as well as players. And when they have checked that list, then they can be called 'the greatest' or 'the best' or whatever. I think developing talent is something that has been lacking at UO for a while. I hope Lanning and Co. are the ones to fix it.

There are so many sites and fans so focused on the immediate need for success. It's like a fever---the stats, the playoffs, the rankings and that's fine but it just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't care if they make the playoffs or the top ten. I don't care about the stats really, especially the first 5-6 weeks when it's filled with so much cupcake action. If they get to the Rose Bowl, I'm thrilled! I realize even those days are likely numbered with the conference and playoff changes that will happen. 

What I LOVE about college football is what we witnessed yesterday with Utah and USC: the play. The players. The suspense. The growth and maturation of both coaches and players, as the season marches on. 

I think I'm getting old, and I often miss the games of my youth. 🙂

• Applause 1

On 10/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, DimpleDucks said:

I think I'm getting old, and I often miss the games of my youth. 

I think the games of my youth would be considered a personal foul and immediate ejection today.

• Haha 1