McDuck

UCLA Weekend: Recruits Who Are Visiting

Haven't seen a list of official visit but a couple of tweets from a four star 2025 prospect are humorous based on timing.

Yesterday

Today

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Walk along on an unofficial visit with Oregon prospect Brandon Baker.

• Thumbs Up 2

McDuck,

Has Brandon Baker really committed to the Ducks? Or, is this your reaction to Baker's note confirming his unofficial visit, and you are so happy that you took one step too many?

If Brandon has committed, it's very early, but no one is turning such a commit down. It's a long time before the 2023-24 LOI signing days, but it would be a nice leg up to have.

Thanks, and VR,

KCDuck1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, KCDuck1 said:

McDuck,

Has Brandon Baker really committed to the Ducks? Or, is this your reaction to Baker's note confirming his unofficial visit, and you are so happy that you took one step too many?

If Brandon has committed, it's very early, but no one is turning such a commit down. It's a long time before the 2023-24 LOI signing days, but it would be a nice leg up to have.

Thanks, and VR,

KCDuck1

Sorry, thinking of Bryce Boulton.  The alliteration got me.

Was that Gary Baker in the video with him?

As a 2024 recruit I assume this is another unofficial visit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another 2024 prospect from powerhouse Mater Dei, mid range three star wide receiver with double digit offers.

Dominating the schools in LA on the field will help greatly in keeping the smart talent coming up north. 

There isn't much one can do to turn those who are under the spell of the trojans, and or the bruins allure. Those who question staying in LA and want to get away from the many distractions are prime targets this weekend.

It is amazing to see how much better Hufanga became once he got away from the University of Southern Compton. We need to keep helping student athletes not make mistakes like Talanoa did. He was first round talent, picked in the 5th, held down by that program.

I wonder sometimes about these recruit visits during games, esp. big games like this.

I'd think the recruits are enjoying the VI.P. treatment and are awed by the facilities, maybe enjoying the popularity among fans, but what kind of an impression do you think is left in their minds if, say, UCLA beats (or trounces) Oregon while they're watching?  Negative?

Same question is reverse: Positive?  It could be a crap-shoot, esp. if UCLA is on their list of schools. 

Seeing Game Day there would make a big impression, I imagine.  Might mitigate a loss somewhat.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mic said:

Might mitigate a loss somewhat.

I have been on the subscriber message-boards that deal with recruiting for 25 years now, and I sometimes forget that others are relatively new to the whole recruiting process.

To answer your question: who wins the game on a recruiting visit has almost no impact on the recruit at all.  The key components are 1) the relationship with the position coach, 2) comfort with the school, 3) the vide with the HC and team, 4) comfort with moving away from home, 5) prestige of the school recruiting....and now we add a new big component into it with NIL as well.

Winning the game enhances the recruit experience, but really does not make a difference--even if it is close between schools.

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Game Day, sold out stadium, top 10 match up, top 10 team in first half year of being a head coach, best facilities in the country, all these things combined together would be a strong selling point to any recruit win lose or draw.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Game Day, sold out stadium, top 10 match up, top 10 team in first half year of being a head coach, best facilities in the country, all these things combined together would be a strong selling point to any recruit win lose or draw.

And we haven't mentioned the Autzen  experience. Thibodeaux was blown away as a recruit. If I remember correctly he came for a UW game and Autzen was rocking. He said that he had never had an experience like that before.

You think it made a difference?

On 10/18/2022 at 10:35 AM, Jon Sousa said:

And we haven't mentioned the Autzen  experience. Thibodeaux was blown away as a recruit. If I remember correctly he came for a UW game and Autzen was rocking. He said that he had never had an experience like that before.

You think it made a difference?

Personally, I don't see how it couldn't make a big impression.  I remember the look on my grandson's face when he walked into the stadium for the first time.  He was 16 and had never been to a collegiate game before, much less one in a facility like Autzen.  I'm sure he will remember it for a long time.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mic said:

I'd think the recruits are enjoying the VI.P. treatment and are awed by the facilities, maybe enjoying the popularity among fans, but what kind of an impression do you think is left in their minds if, say, UCLA beats (or trounces) Oregon while they're watching?  Negative?

I don’t think losing a hard fought game is a recruiting negative. In my opinion, how the coaches and players react during and after the loss is much more important. 

The beat down by Georgia could have sent this team into a downward spiral. However, hard work by the coaches, and by the players has the team back in the top 10. 

Most people, including recruits, are seeing the improved play on a week to week basis. Top recruits want to go where they can improve, and play in meaningful games. Oregon checks both of those boxes. 

We won’t get everyone we want, but Oregon will continue to be in the mix for a lot of the top players. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Add another Mater Dei Monarch to the list.  2024 four star OL DeAndre Carter announced he will be at Autzen.

• Cool 1

Oregon Recruiting Visiter List vs. UCLA

An early look at some of the top names headed to Eugene this weekend.

kodi-decambra-oregon-visit-cropped.jpg

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article267497913.html#storylink=rss

On 10/18/2022 at 10:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I have been on the subscriber message-boards that deal with recruiting for 25 years now, and I sometimes forget that others are relatively new to the whole recruiting process.

To answer your question: who wins the game on a recruiting visit has almost no impact on the recruit at all.  The key components are 1) the relationship with the position coach, 2) comfort with the school, 3) the vide with the HC and team, 4) comfort with moving away from home, 5) prestige of the school recruiting....and now we add a new big component into it with NIL as well.

Winning the game enhances the recruit experience, but really does not make a difference--even if it is close between schools.

Perhaps these fit into your list but I would assume that gameday atmosphere (#3?) and track record of sending players at your position to the NFL (#1?) would also matter to recruits. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unranked (but 10+ offers including Georgia) 2025 wide receiver from------Mater Dei.  

On 10/18/2022 at 8:34 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is amazing to see how much better Hufanga became once he got away from the University of Southern Compton. We need to keep helping student athletes not make mistakes like Talanoa did. He was first round talent, picked in the 5th, held down by that program.

I respectfully disagree.

His last year he won the Pat Tillman, 1st team All-Pac, 1st team All-American. He was the best defender in the Pac IMO.

Talo going in fifth round was on the NFL scouts not USC. He had a history of two broken collar bones and ran a bad 40 time at the combine. His USC film didn't show him lacking speed and his instincts were elite. The USC defense took a huge nosedive the next year without him.

My uncle is a USC alum and was stoked when they got him. Huff and Troy Palo are the two Oregon Poly safeties that got away.

Certainly the atmosphere at Autzen during a recruiting visit had an impact on KT's decision to be a Duck.

Another factor is detailed in the linked article.  Long but worth it IMO.

AROUND.UOREGON.EDU

For the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Allen Hall was just as important as Autzen Stadium

wow, great article.  thanks for the link.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Headlined by Jordon Davison, the No. 1 RB in the 2025 class, Oregon has an impressive list of recruits coming to Eugene this weekend.

I hope Oregon is allowed to lend rain gear to the recruits and their families!

• Haha 1

Williams said "Oregon just offered me recently.  I visited once before, but I want to see them again and talk with the coaches.  That's a school that I'm really high on and I like them a lot.

Not going to be at the game, but wanted to bring this news he had de-committed from USC to visit other schools.

247SPORTS.COM

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly junior linebacker Dylan Williams committed to USC back in April and looked rock solid in his pledge but decided to open up his recruitment earlier today.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2022 at 7:53 AM, Annie said:

I hope Oregon is allowed to lend rain gear to the recruits and their families!

I thought it never rained in Autzen? !  Maybe some sun shades 😎.

(I think they can, but don't know for sure.  They'll probably come prepared, tho).  Or ... do they seat the recruits and family upstairs in the VIP box?

On 10/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, Drake said:

I don’t think losing a hard fought game is a recruiting negative. In my opinion, how the coaches and players react during and after the loss is much more important. 

We won’t get everyone we want, but Oregon will continue to be in the mix for a lot of the top players. 

I may have been overly concerned I suppose because I'm probably one of the few here who think UCLA will win this game.  Sure hope I'm wrong!  On both counts.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mic said:

I thought it never rained in Autzen? !  Maybe some sun shades 😎.

(I think they can, but don't know for sure.  They'll probably come prepared, tho).  Or ... do they seat the recruits and family upstairs in the VIP box?

The families can sit inside the Moshofsky and watch (and maybe the recruits, if they want to, I'm not sure), but usually the recruits are seated together near the field next to the student section.

• Thanks 1

West Spotlight:  How things stand with top uncommitted prospects

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

The recruitment of elite TE Duce Robinson is still playing out, but USC appears to be well-positioned.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:15 AM, NJDuck said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Big-time visit incoming for Dan Lanning and the Ducks.

And just like that Oregon offers his younger brother.  Coincidence?

As far as recruiting top players out of California goes this is what I think Oregon's chances are going forward:

1) They depend greatly on how well USC & UCLA are ranked and playing.  Those 2 schools up (like this year) Oregon's chances go down.

2) They depend somewhat on how well CAL and Stanford are ranked and playing.  Those 2 schools up (unlike this year) and Oregon still has a decent chance.

Oregon has been benefitting from USC, UCLA, CAL and Stanford schools struggling in the recent 2 decades, more-or-less.  Once that changes (and it is already) then Oregon will be forced to find their 4 & 5 stars elsewhere.  By and large, not entirely, of course.  But the low hanging fruit is about gone for Oregon in that region of the west IF the two biggest schools continue to find success.  How moving to the B1G effects that will have to be seen but it might also tend to make things tougher for Oregon.

Oregon is positioning itself to be a playoff level team for years to come. That will always be attractive to top level recruits from LA and beyond.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, Mic said:

As far as recruiting top players out of California goes this is what I think Oregon's chances are going forward:

1) They depend greatly on how well USC & UCLA are ranked and playing.  Those 2 schools up (like this year) Oregon's chances go down.

2) They depend somewhat on how well CAL and Stanford are ranked and playing.  Those 2 schools up (unlike this year) and Oregon still has a decent chance.

Oregon has been benefitting from USC, UCLA, CAL and Stanford schools struggling in the recent 2 decades, more-or-less.  Once that changes (and it is already) then Oregon will be forced to find their 4 & 5 stars elsewhere.  By and large, not entirely, of course.  But the low hanging fruit is about gone for Oregon in that region of the west IF the two biggest schools continue to find success.  How moving to the B1G effects that will have to be seen but it might also tend to make things tougher for Oregon.

I don't disagree with the concept that if CA schools are in the national spotlight, that'll make recruiting against them harder.  That's true for any school.  I'm just not sure that's going to happen long-term.

UCLA was ranked #9, but why?  They certainly didn't play a particularly tough schedule - UW, Utah, and four total cupcakes.  Chip has always hated recruiting.  Especially once they move to the B1G, I'm not convinced they'll be much over .500 on a regular basis.

USC has looked good this year but also has played only 3 decent teams - a close loss to OSU, beating a fading WSU team, and losing to Utah.  Also not convinced they'll do that well after the move, particularly since they actually play D in the B1G, and Riley's defenses have traditionally been weak.

Cal has been mediocre for years.  Stanford had some great years, but they've been down for a while, and with their academic standards for recruits, they're not even in play for the majority of recruits.

Staying in SoCal will always be appealing for some players, but I'm not convinced we'll face overwhelming competition from the CA schools long-term, any more than we have for the past 10 - 20 years.