Massduck

Does Chip Still Own Lupoi?

I am a little worried. As many of you know there is plenty of history between Chip Kelly when he was with the Ducks and Tosh Lupoi when he was with Cal. Such as when lupois Cal Bears defense was getting boat raced and he had to fake injuries to slow down the Duck offense.

How has Lupoi changed since then? Did his time at Alabama help him? What makes us think that things will be different? 

• Alabama helped him. 11 five star recruits starting and a bunch of 5 star back ups. 🤷‍♂️ 

That was 12 years ago, and both Saban and Kirby Smart implemented drills for the defense to have them ready for the hurry-up.  Lanning knows those drills and as will Lupoi, IMHO.

If Chip owns Lupoi...it will not come from what we know, but what Chip surprises them with, I believe.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, Massduck said:

I am a little worried. As many of you know there is plenty of history between Chip Kelly when he was with the Ducks and Tosh Lupoi when he was with Cal. Such as when lupois Cal Bears defense was getting boat raced and he had to fake injuries to slow down the Duck offense.

How has Lupoi changed since then? Did his time at Alabama help him? What makes us think that things will be different? 

I'm going to give you my unvarnished honest opinion and say "I don't know but I have little confidence in Lupoi's ability to match wits with Chip, even if Chip were having a very bad day.  

I've made no bones about how I feel about Lupoi and why.  It's THE biggest reason I will probably pick UCLA to win this game (sorry everyone) not because O can't score (they will) but I don't know if Lupoi has a clue on how to stop and offense like we're about to see Chip unleash Saturday.  If I were Chip I'd be salivating over this one.

I hope to Almighty Heaven I'm wrong and I have to eat these words Sunday morning!

I think that Lupoi isn't the only DC in the room. DL chose him for a reason (or 2 or 3). One of them has to be DL's confidence that he can work with Lupoi as they formulated their defensive philosophy and their specific defensive strategies. 

I think DL isn't messing with the offense too much, but I am sure his fingerprints are all over the defense.

My point is that CK isn't just going against Lupoi. CK and his OC are going up against Dan Lanning and his DC. I hope that is encouraging.

Edited by Jon Sousa
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’m guessing Oregon has far better athletes coming to this contest than Cal had against CK way back win. Add the home factor against a UCLA team whose only road game was in the friendly confines of Folsom Field and I’m comfortable betting on the Ducks.

Lupoi absolutely is the Duck DC but I cannot see (or really fathom) a situation where Dan Lanning isn't involved in 97% if the defensive game planning (and even 3% might be a stretch).

Will Chip school Lanning? Maybe but I don't see it as a lock. Chip had, at the time (and probably still true today), the longest prep time between the end of the season and the NC game and got pretty well schooled by Gene Chizik and Ted Roof. And the thing is both dudes just did what made Auburn successful the whole season and handled Chip's long months of preparation for long portions of that game (both guys probably cashed in some bank by doing nothing different than they did all season).

Oregon only likely got itself back in it, when Chip abandoned what he spent months planning (thank you very much Chip trusting NA - and Nick probably having the very best feather in his cap - over his long career - getting after Newton all game long).

Definitely some things to worry about heading into the game, but something that happened with Tosh and Chip like in 2009?

I guess it could, but it would really, really surprise me.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, Massduck said:

Fake injury game final score: UO 15 Cal 13. Seems more like a paint drying race to me.

• Haha 1