DUCati855

How Do You Take This Dan Lanning Quote?

I have been super impressed with our new head coach thus far. But, this quote from yesterday's news conference has me baffled. How do you take it?

The environment, the noise, the fans, all those pieces are great elements, but none of those things are playing the game. So none of that’s really going to have a factor."

Does he truly believe that Autzen does not even count as a factor? Does he not think we (the screaming idiots in the stands) effect the game? Am I missing something?

Edited by DUCati855

Dude coached at UGA in the SEC. I would assume he understands crowd noise both home and away.

I think he’s saying the fans are great but it’s the players making plays that win the games.

• Thumbs Up 9

“The environment, the noise, the fans, all those pieces are great elements, but none of those things are playing the game. So, none of that’s really going to have a factor. Playing here before, that can be a factor in this game. He’s got great experience in this place. I’m sure he has some fond memories in this place. But none of that’s really going to carry into what actually has to happen from an execution standpoint on the field.”

I believe he is thinking that the execution of the plays, making the right reads, not getting swept up in the emotions, etc. means more than how much noise the feathered faithful can make. Just my two cents. However, we need to keep in mind that CDL has not fully felt the overwhelming power of a packed, rabid, vocal and energized Autzen. I know he has been talking about how amazing an atmosphere it is, but i don't think he has fully grasped how a smaller stadium then any SEC stadium can rock louder and harder with half the size crowd. I think the feathered faithful will show allow CDL to Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational battle station

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:33 AM, DUCati855 said:

I have been super impressed with our new head coach thus far. But, this quote from yesterday's news conference has me baffled. How do you take it?

The environment, the noise, the fans, all those pieces are great elements, but none of those things are playing the game. So none of that’s really going to have a factor."

Does he truly believe that Autzen does not even count as a factor? Does he not think we (the screaming idiots in the stands) effect the game? Am I missing something?

How do I take it?  With a grain of salt.  

Remember, he's trying to motivate his players to play hard!  A good coach wouldn't want his players thinking the fans in the stands (a little alliteration here for levity) are the difference in the game nor rely on that.  I get it.  The fans shouldn't feel slighted but yell for their team all the louder anyway.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/19/2022 at 10:45 AM, ABNMoose said:

I believe he is thinking that the execution of the plays, making the right reads, not getting swept up in the emotions, etc. means more than how much noise the feathered faithful can make.

I agree he thinks execution means more than the environment/atmosphere. But to say "none of that will have a factor" seems illogical to me.

I guess we'll see how DTR reacts on 3rd down when it is so loud his eye balls are shaking and his linemen can't hear his cadence. Then we'll know if we were a factor or not.

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, DUCati855 said:

I agree he thinks execution means more than the environment/atmosphere. But to say "none of that will have a factor" seems illogical to me.

I guess we'll see how DTR reacts on 3rd down when it is so loud his eye balls are shaking and his linemen can't hear his cadence. Then we'll know if we were a factor or not.

No, you're right DUCati855, the fans at home (esp. in Autzen) DO make a difference and I think Lanning knows it.  He just doesn't want the players to think they can let up one inch.   I hope to see UCLA get a few false start penalties and mix-ups on assignment due to the crowd noise which is legendary in Autzen  And if/when they do, Lanning will probably acknowledge it in the post game interview (if O wins).

• Thumbs Up 1

I took it that all the outside buzz/noise surrounding this game is not going to affect how our team is going to play this game.  Coach Lanning always stresses Oregon's biggest challenge is Oregon.  The buzz is not going to make a difference in how they are going to play the game.

Just my opinion.  A packed out raucous fanbase at a game could make a difference as the '12th man' in the stands against an opposing team with the amount of noise they can make.  False starts in an important point of the game?  Couldn't hurt.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Mic said:

the fans at home (esp. in Autzen) DO make a difference and I think Lanning knows it.

UCLA plays their home games in a near empty Rose Bowl, a stadium that isn't all that loud even when filled to capacity. UCLA players will feel the difference between it and a hostile Autzen without a doubt. The noise WILL be a factor. I hope our Ducks will feed on that energy while the Bruins cuddle each other for support.

• Go Ducks! 1

The way I am interpreting this is if the team is well coached and experienced the crowd noise shouldn't be a major factor. After all it is the players who actually play the game. A well disciplined team can shut out the crowd noise and get the job done when needed. 

• Applause 1

I too, don’t take this as anything more than a coach telling the press that the players play the game and everything else is just outside noise.

We also need to remember that DL is new here, and he really has yet to see the true power and intimidation that a charged up Autzen sellout crowd can bring to bear!

Methinks his appreciation for such a phenomenon will be greatly increased by his post game remarks!

• Thumbs Up 1

In some respects....he is taking a Chip Kelly tactic of "the faceless opponent," in that we play hard every week regardless of who it is, the size of the game impact, etc.

But I also agree that he has not experienced a frothing, frenzied, fanatical Autzen crowd whose noise will lift you up on explosion plays.

DSC_0398.JPG

Mr. FishDuck

The quote has been removed from a lot of its context so interpreting it is a bit challenging. 

What was the question being answered and who is the ‘he’ referring to?   

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 2

One thing is for sure. If DLs team is not playing hard and getting boat raced the crowd  noise will let him know if he is getting a but whipping. He won’t need to look at the scoreboard.

On the other hand if the Ducks are in the lead against UCLA in the second half the crowd will let him know as well.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

Edited by Just Ducky

Does he truly believe that Autzen does not even count as a factor?

I think the statement was ultimately part of message discipline and not really meant as a pure statement of fact. 

He's been very very focused on coaching fundamentals style football and teaching players to avoid extremes of emotion either way in the games.  He's trying to keep the excitement of a home top 10 matchup and the ESPN gameday broadcast to a minimum for the players.

I've heard him say in interviews that he includes simulated crowd noise in practices for the weeks we are going to visiting stadiums.  That in of itself is an acknowledgement that Offenses have difficulty with calling out assignments and hearing the snap count on plays so yes he knows crowd noise has a measurable effect on games.

Ultimately UCLA has had limited away game experience this year so I for one intend to "Ohhhhh..." myself hoarse at the game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Crowd noise is a huge part of the game.

My view of Lanning is still very much shelved for now.  

Kirby Smart has been known for being a defensive genius for a long time now.   And that Georgia defense hasn’t missed a beat with Lanning gone. 

I am grateful for that crowd noise and for being here and not at UCLA.  If we win that WiLL be the reason.  IMO 

We better score first and keep the crowd rocking! 

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does he truly believe that Autzen does not even count as a factor?

He directly addresses it here:

The crowd noise will be the reason for a victory? Surely you jest! While,  it is true that the crowd does play a factor and does in fact cause the offince into mistakes at times, but it is in NO WAY soly responsible for a team's victory.

Let's keep this in it's proper context folks. Let's be glad to be a part of a victory when it happens and enjoy this wonderful time of year.

Edited by BigDog
Fixed the statement
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

HOME-FIELD-ADVANTAGE!! Lanning knows. Maybe he is challenging the fans to step up the fanaticism and blow the lid of Autzen.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, BigDog said:

This will be the reason? Surely you jest! While,  it is true that the crowd does play a factor and does in fact cause the offince into mistakes at times, but it is in NO WAY soly responsible for a team's victory.

Let's keep this in it's proper context folks. Let's be glad to be a part of a victory when it happens and enjoy this wonderful time of year.

Amen.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:58 PM, Log Haulin said:

HOME-FIELD-ADVANTAGE!! Lanning knows. Maybe he is challenging the fans to step up the fanaticism and blow the lid of Autzen.

Now that's a good point.  He might just be - either that OR he hasn't heard the noise a sold-out Autzen is capable of yet.  After all, he came to us from Tuscaloosa and I'm guessing their stadium down there is a 'wee bit' bigger than ours.  By maybe, 35-40,000 more?

The crowd noise will be the reason for a victory? Surely you jest! While,  it is true that the crowd does play a factor and does in fact cause the offince into mistakes at times, but it is in NO WAY soly responsible for a team's victory.

Well, let's analyze this with a "what-if" scenario.

'What if' Oregon and UCLA, after having slugged each other nearly to death, wind up at the end of the game with Oregon ahead by, say, 4 points. And 'what if' UCLA has the ball inside the 4 yard line, 3rd and goal with time running out  Now, will Lanning be calling for the fans to go "quiet"?  Of course not, he'll be relying on that infamous Autzen Stadium crowd noise that he's been hearing about to raise up it's terrible head and make it darn near impossible for the UCLA team to hear their QB's signal calling, much less think!

And say the crowd does (which it certainly would!) respond loud enough to raise the dead with its noise.  And say the UCLA offense false-starts, not once, but twice.!  Now, it's 3rd and goal from the 13 instead.  And then imagine 'what if' Justin Flowe or Brown or ________ intercepts the ball on a bad throw (because the receiver went the wrong way) and sits their hind-end down on the 6 yd line ending the play, ending the game.

Who then will be wondering 'if' the crowd noise at Autzen stadium didn't play a part?  My guess would be No One.  Don't ever think Dan Lanning doesn't know that as well, but do know that Flowe, Brown or ______ had better be in the right position at the right time given the circumstances of the play or it falls incomplete instead and UCLA gets another shot at winning the game.

This is what I think Dan Lanning is talking about.  But of course, only he would really know that.  And of course, I hope UCLA is going for it on the last play just to try and get within 20 points of Oregon to make things less like the rout it was up till then instead!  Whew -

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, Mic said:

Now that's a good point.  He might just be - either that OR he hasn't heard the noise a sold-out Autzen is capable of yet.  After all, he came to us from Tuscaloosa and I'm guessing their stadium down there is a 'wee bit' bigger than ours.  By maybe, 35-40,000 more?

Right. One thing for sure is he is about to find out. Especially if Oregon is up a score with UCLA at 3rd and long at their own 7. If I put my ear to the ground here in Silverton, will I be able to hear the crowd?

• Haha 1

He’s sending a message to his team. Don’t count on anything or anybody else to help you win the game. You have to perform at a high level or you will lose.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2022 at 3:28 PM, Log Haulin said:

Right. One thing for sure is he is about to find out. Especially if Oregon is up a score with UCLA at 3rd and long at their own 7. If I put my ear to the ground here in Silverton, will I be able to hear the crowd?

Maybe!

When the emotions for a high stakes game are heating up, and media-driven distractions are bubbling over, it’s probably best to take any quote from a head coach (in context or out of context) with a grain of sand. Few things concern HC’s more than players getting caught up in media/fan hoopla which drains focus away from the game.

Dan’s audience for what he said might be the fans, but probably not. Most likely it’s the team his comments were intended for: keep your eyes headed down the road, and your nose to the grindstone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do not believe anyone said it would be the reason for victory.

What he said is "it would not be a factor"... 

I for one feel it would be a factor. Home field makes a difference. There is a huge reason why Oregon has one of the longest home streaks in the country. 

The point of starting this thread was to encourage ALL Duck fans to let CDL know he has a huge advantage when playing in Autzen. He has never felt that advantage to the degree we all have. Autzen hasn't been itself since pre-pandemic. We need it off the charts like it once was.

On 10/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, DUCati855 said:

I do not believe anyone said it would be the reason for victory.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:06 PM, debbieduck said:

I am grateful for that crowd noise and for being here and not at UCLA.  If we win that WiLL be the reason.  IMO 

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a factor because it is. However the crowd will not be the only reason for the victory but a positive contribution to the teams performance. 

Lanning is obviously in all business mode as he’s planning out scheme to go up against an undefeated college football master mind. 

He got a free pass for the UGA game but he will be forever compared to Chip as UO head coaches. This is game one of that legacy.

He’s more locked into the battle on the field than the rah rah rah in the stands. I think that’s a good thing.

• Go Ducks! 1

Road warriors focus on the task at hand.  Cried noise probably ticks them off.  Makes them want to silence the crowd even more.  And when they are the type of team that can, they will.  

Hostile crowds are road kill as far as road warriors are concerned.  Killer instinct teams drop nuclear bombs on crowds. Silence them forever.  Pete Carroll and his USC henchman are a great example.  They sent many home crowds home early.

Lanning understand this.  A determined team wants to punish home crowds. I want OBD to play like that.  Play like an assassin.  Even if it's on Mars.

The crowd does matter, but if the Ducks fall behind early, the noise might also. No matter what, the team still needs to push forward and not let up. 

And if we’re killing UCLA, we need to keep stomping them into the ground, play mistake-free football and finish the game like a top 4 team. 

I was meaning if it’s a close one score victory. Then yes.  Not if we blow them out 

On 10/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

He directly addresses it here:

The question as I heard it was: "As far as outside noise goes this is probably the biggest game since Georgia. What do you think your guys learned in preparing for that process...?  (1:23 - 1:40).

I'm not sure Lanning took this to mean 'crowd noise' at all but 'noise' meaning talk around the CFB about how big a game this was for both programs  and all the Media hype of the game itself.

And his answer I think reflects that: "  ... Yeah, you know, play the game, not the moment and I think our guys are more dialed into that." ... really not concerned about all the other pieces."

To my mind , he isn't talking about crowd noise at all in Autzen but about getting carried away by the media attention, Game Day, etc.  I might be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/21/2022 at 6:01 AM, Mic said:

(1:23 - 1:40).

I meant the section at 0:16 - 0:24.  "when our stadium is as crazy as it can be, it's hard to communicate on that side of the ball"

On 10/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, Just Ducky said:

One thing is for sure. If DLs team is not playing hard and getting boat raced the crowd  noise will let him know if he is getting a but whipping. He won’t need to look at the scoreboard.

On the other hand if the Ducks are in the lead against UCLA in the second half the crowd will let him know as well.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

The probability of the team not playing hard has to be - or certainly very close to - zero.  The Wazzu game showed there is no quit in the team.  Also, it’s a huge game so the team is going to be fired up as it is.  

In terms of the Ducks getting housed, I don’t see that but CFB is a game of volatility and with each team having a high powered offense anything is possible