David Marsh

This Doesn't Make Cristobal and Feld Look Good

What is going on with Cristobal and Feld's Strength and Conditioning program? Last year Oregon suffered from constant injuries and turnover. It got so bad that Oregon started a different set of starters on at least one side of the ball in every game. 

This year they are at Miami and they still have massive injury problems. There is something wrong with their training problem. 

Meanwhile at Oregon, Wilson Love has done a fantastic job increasing Oregon player speed and also keeping the team pretty healthy. Sure we have had injuries but nothing like what we suffered last year and nothing even remotely close to what Miami is suffering. 

• Wow 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering this myself. Seems like we are more healthy at the halfway point this year, then any other year in recent memory. 

I've assumed it was due to training, and seeing how bad UM is doing, clearly must be related.

Way to go coach Lanning for bringing in the best staff.

• Go Ducks! 1

At its best, sports strength and conditioning is guided by a philosophy similar to that which guides preventative medicine. You want to anticipate those things that can do harm to the body by building the body’s immunity to them, and targeting healing measures when they do.

It’s a fine line between this controlled focus that prevents and heals, and the impatient desire for results that aggressively pushes beyond that point.  Love is a good example of the former while Feld may well be of the later.

S&C at its worst would be when its used to inflict punishment as happened with Irele  Oderinde.

I question much of Mario's system.

He may need to step back and make some changes at key personnel positions. Whether it be replace or re-educate. Changes seem to be in order.

Diet, conditioning, and practice procedures, likely all need some tweaking.

His teams have far too many injuries occurring outside of game time.

Injuries are frequently random.  However, if a training coach routinely has a higher percentage of players injured, that is a trend.

I know the Trail Blazers had a terrible training coach a while back and they had a higher percentage of injuries over a long period of time compared to the average NBA team.

I'm only aware of Feld's 4 years at Oregon and now Miami.  I would say it is a bit early to say Feld is the cause, but it is trending that way.

Why Do We Keep Discussing Mario?

1) Because it is fun.

2) It is very entertaining.

2) It reminds us to be grateful-as-hell that he is not longer here.  Whew!

Aaron Feld_Kevin Cline (2).jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/20/2022 at 12:48 PM, cartm25 said:

Injuries can be extremely fickle, and it becomes VERY speculative to say that training programs could or should have prevented ______ injury.

That's what I was saying about last year's mountain of injuries... I don't remember how bad 2019 and 2020 was in all honesty. 

It's not a full pattern yet but if 2023 brings an equally large pile of injuries to Miami we have a pattern. 

I do remember a lot of freak injuries along the way and those were usually pretty big last year... Verdell breaking his leg on a run for instance. But there we lots of smaller injuries that knocked players out for a week or two that felt all too frequent. 

On 10/20/2022 at 1:58 PM, David Marsh said:

I do remember a lot of freak injuries along the way and those were usually pretty big last year... 

I think the injuries I was most concerned about with the former coaching staff were all the significant injuries that happened during practice - taking guys out for weeks at a time because "we have to be tougher and more physical...".

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be superficial, but I wouldn’t trust Feld to get my coffee, let alone understand the subtleties of preventive therapy. 

And we all sure saw a lot of Feld—that guy really knows how to find the lens. 

On 10/20/2022 at 8:44 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

This might be superficial, but I wouldn’t trust Feld to get my coffee, let alone understand the subtleties of preventive therapy. 

It’s funny you mention that. Go to StateoftheU or Canesinsight and you will see several comments about getting rid of “the guy with the mustache”. Many of them think he’s just a regular coach and not the SC coach. They just know he’s always on TV.

• Haha 2

On 10/20/2022 at 5:44 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Agreed. I’m not certain the stash act is 100% genuine. Like you suggest he always knew where the cameras were and both he and Mario always seemed to have contrived personas over simply being genuine. 

• Applause 1