nw777b

Dan Lanning is All Class

Dan Lanning showed a LOT of class by taking a knee at the end of the game.

In today's culture where teams leading by a wide margin fake punts and fake QB kneels and when the winning margin might be the difference between being voted into the playoffs or not, Lanning chooses sportsmanship.

I'm convinced Oregon would have scored.

Lanning became a Man of Oregon in my book today.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 2

Well said. What a fun game!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Like 1

100% 

He knows his team "Won The Day" ... no need to rub it in. 

😉

• Go Ducks! 2

Not only class, but he showed some real coaching chops with the play calling and game plan.

Looked like he was putting on a clinic!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Clock Management, Guts, and sportsmanship... That last pass by Bo was obviously never intended to be completed... It was just a way to finish the game on an emphatic, defiant statement to the rest of the college football world.

Most pundits will never understand the reasoning behind it.

BTW, when was the last time anyone started methodically kneeling the ball with 2+ minutes to go in a game?

I thought it was a sign of class and maturity from OBD!

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/22/2022 at 7:33 PM, woundedknees said:

BTW, when was the last time anyone started methodically kneeling the ball with 2+ minutes to go in a game?

Not sure, but I know it wasn’t Mario against Stanford in 2018. 

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 3

Dan Lanning was gracious and classy after the game deflecting credit away from himself. 

Mario also deflected away during his presser throwing part of the team under the bus and suggesting some people need to leave. motivating. 

Oregon has a better Coach than Miami and it’s really fun to watch fun exciting dominant football again. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Compare Lanning’s sportsmanship against what that jerk Urban Meyer did in the 2015 National Championship game. He kept his starters in the last four minutes to run up the score when Ohio State was already up 35 to 20.  It was pretty clear that our beloved Ducks were not going to win.  Not only did Meyer deny his second and third stringers a chance to get on the field in a championship game,  but he risked possible injury to his starters.  

On any given play, there is a chance for 22 young men of serious, life long injury. Making them play more past the point of the game being decided just for a coach’s ego is a sign of a coach who shouldn’t be trusted. That kind of “It’s not my job to stop my offense” mentality should have gone out the door with the coaches who down played concussions as “just a little  dinged up.” 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, nw777b said:

Of course they would have scored, UCLA was utterly unable to stop Oregon by that point.  

But, you're right, they didn't need to -  just get out of the game before anyone gets hurt needlessly.  It's sportsmanship and it's smart.  And It's not showing other teams any other things Oregon can do to put points on the board.

• Go Ducks! 1

Sportsmanship, but also playing it safe. I think it's probably quite rare to fumble the ball when taking a knee.

• Mic drop 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Not sure, but I know it wasn’t Mario against Stanford in 2018. 

A brief comparison of coaching styles:

DL:

Lets his asst coaches do their jobs

Manages tempo, alignments and 

game situations taking appropriate

calculated risks.

Keeps the opponent guessing

Throttles up to put the game away

without humiliating the opponent.

Plays Oregon football, not up or

down based on opponent

Uses stern but caring admonishing

for in game faux pas (see Troy F.)

Post game "We'll coach this better

and fix it"

Manages the clock!!

MC:

'My way or highway' to asst coaches

Ground and Pound x2. Throw short. 

Punt.

The defense doesn't know what's

coming. Oh, wait. I guess they do.

Offensive throttle stuck in idle for

extended periods

Play up for tOSU, down for Stanfurd 

Lights up player on sideline with ugly

national attention (see Kris H).

Post game "We're just not physical

enough"

"There’s how much time left?"

Does anyone doubt that if MC was still in charge this would be at best a 5-2, or even 4-3 team with losses to UGA, WSU and maybe even UCLA yesterday. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, Annie said:

Sportsmanship, but also playing it safe. I think it's probably quite rare to fumble the ball when taking a knee.

Agree! Unless Mario has the QB in shotgun formation.  LOL

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:05 PM, nw777b said:

Agree! Unless Mario has the QB in shotgun formation.  LOL

Just finished watching the Duke - Miami game (45-21 Duke).  Duke scored the last 28 points, ended the game taking a knee inside the 5 or it could have been the last 35.  8 turnovers for Miami.  The stands were virtually empty the last qtr of the game, sans the Duke fans.  Mario's got a lot of things to try and fix if he wants to keep his dream job from turning into a nightmare.

• Wow 1

On 10/22/2022 at 7:33 PM, woundedknees said:

That last pass by Bo was obviously never intended to be completed...

I told my wife the same thing.  If the guy can drop a 57 yard dime into the waiting arms of a receiver running at full speed, he could have thrown another touch down.  The fact he threw to a waiting receiver - but beyond the end zone - indicates this was planned as the play to end the game.

Props to Coach Lanning for outstanding sportsmanship!

Go Ducks!!

The real score this year is Oregon 100 plus- Miami 0

• Applause 1

On 10/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, olcodgerduck said:

I told my wife the same thing.  If the guy can drop a 57 yard dime into the waiting arms of a receiver running at full speed, he could have thrown another touch down.  The fact he threw to a waiting receiver - but beyond the end zone - indicates this was planned as the play to end the game.

Props to Coach Lanning for outstanding sportsmanship!

Go Ducks!!

If you recall Lanning did call a timeout right before the final play. I don't think Bo knew what to do for that last play, or at least didn't remember or wasn't sure. 

I think that final timeout and huddle was to deploy that game ending play. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 4:10 PM, David Marsh said:

If you recall Lanning did call a timeout right before the final play. I don't think Bo knew what to do for that last play, or at least didn't remember or wasn't sure. 

I think that final timeout and huddle was to deploy that game ending play. 

No, I think David was right.  Lanning wanted that 4th down play to last the full remaining 6 or 7 seconds and running back and heaving the ball at the last second did that.  Game over.  UCLA doesn't get a hail mary shot at anything.  And secretly, I bet the Bruins were good with it.

• Go Ducks! 1

This thought just came to me... because of UCLA running to the B1G this may be Chip Kelly's LAST time in Autzen as a coach. I am sure at some point when he retires he will get honored by Oregon for his time with us but that won't be as a coach. Who knows when UCLA will make a return trip to Autzen, we are scheduled to host USC next year. We may play UCLA in the Championship game this year or next year but that won't be in Autzen.

Chip Kelly help create a monster that not even he could defeat.

• Go Ducks! 1

Just saw this Pro Duck Jevon Holland tweet you might enjoy...He noticed too!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find myself watching more Oregon games these days then other SEC games.  Lanning is great, and I hope you guys win out!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, nw777b said:

It wasn't just taking a knee. Did you notice that NW, on the last real play of the game, slid instead of trying to make it into the endzone? Would he have done that in the first half??

When I saw that, I immediately thought that DL told everyone to hold on to the ball but not to score... probably during one of the last time outs that UCLA took.

NW broke away and slid before he got too close to the endzone. Yes, there were a couple of UCLA defenders in front of him, but is going into a slide the normal thing that a running back does as he approaches the endzone? 

Edited by Jon Sousa
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Just saw this Pro Duck Jevon Holland tweet you might enjoy...He noticed too!

Jevon (being a Pro now) has 1st-hand experience as to why clock management is important.  It's one thing the NFL teams excel at for a variety of reasons, not to mention limiting exposure to injury and getting the last score if possible.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, Jon Sousa said:

It wasn't just taking a knee. Did you notice that NW, on the last real play of the game, slid instead of trying to make it into the endzone? Would he have done that in the first half??

When I saw that, I immediately thought that DL told everyone to hold on to the ball but not to score... probably during one of the last time outs that UCLA took.

NW broke away and slid before he got too close to the endzone. Yes, there were a couple of UCLA defenders in front of him, but is going into a slide the normal thing that a running back does as he approaches the endzone? 

I thought he slid to keep from going out of bounds and stopping the clock.  I'll have to watch that again.

It was both not running out of bounds and potentially fighting for a TD.

Precision clock management.  I didn't think they would be able to burn that last 13 seconds in one play, but by launching that last moon-ball Bo milked every last second.  Since the clock doesn't stop until the ball actually touches something out of bounds, it was clear that DL had no intention of scoring.

• Thumbs Up 1

DL's Game manager is top notch. The difference between a championship caliber team and a nine win team is the little things that coaches do at a high level. I can't recall a coach at Oregon that had this level of game management. Even Chip did a lot of things that were not in the best interests of using clock when we needed to.

The onside kick was brilliant, knowing you're not going to get many stops on UCLA. Stealing a possession in this game was exactly what was needed and a game winning plan. This game could have easily came down to whoever had the ball last instead we got the lead and stayed in the lead.

Running two plus minutes off the clock also brilliant as we all know how that can end up when you decide to run the ball and fight for the first down.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:58 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Whittington literally pulled up, and waited for the UCLA D to approach, prior to going into the slide.

It actually burned a little bit of extra time with that move.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, noDucknewby said:

Precision clock management.  I didn't think they would be able to burn that last 13 seconds in one play, but by launching that last moon-ball Bo milked every last second.  Since the clock doesn't stop until the ball actually touches something out of bounds, it was clear that DL had no intention of scoring.

I thought, and was hoping, Bo was going to scramble until the clock hit zero. He has the wheels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 1:17 PM, nw777b said:

I thought, and was hoping, Bo was going to scramble until the clock hit zero. He has the wheels. 

Probably could have, but it's safer just to launch the ball out of bounds to burn the last few seconds.  I was a little suprised though, that he didn't scramble a little on each kneel-down to burn off a few more seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:17 PM, noDucknewby said:

Probably could have, but it's safer just to launch the ball out of bounds to burn the last few seconds.  I was a little suprised though, that he didn't scramble a little on each kneel-down to burn off a few more seconds.

Lanning mentioned the kneel downs were too fast in his presser today, so you're right on.

• Thumbs Up 1