AllOregon

Bucky > Travis Dye

That is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

His weakness was catching the ball out of the backfield, but Bucky seems to have solved that!

Irving is gonna score by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm impartial.  I still think the world of Travis Dye, even if he transferred to SUC.  MariØ, and now LR, rode him hard.  Both are solid backs that for all purposes are defined as workhorses.  Both of them get the job done.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bucky (and Noah) have better vision, burst. But how would have Dye done under the tutelage of Locklyn?

• Thumbs Up 2

Dye playing for SC rubs me wrong. But like the case with MC, I like who we got. Ducks would smoke SC. Hope we get to find out.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

Dye playing for SC rubs me wrong. But like the case with MC, I like who we got. Ducks would smoke SC. Hope we get to find out.

Yeah.. Dye going in conference rubs me wrong.. but I get it.  He trying to go pro and he thought a Riley offense was a better option vs the unknown we had.

I dont think Dye is better than Bucky or Noah anyway..  Things worked in our favor.  Cristobal leaving and Dye leaving helped us

SUC is still whining about their loss to Utah and talking like they are still the team to beat.  One of the posters said, "fUCLA finally facing a team that can punch back."

So what does that say about your loss to the Utes who got their arses handed to them by the Bruins?

• Mic drop 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, Lrod said:

I dont think Dye is better than Bucky or Noah anyway..  Things worked in our favor.  Cristobal leaving and Dye leaving helped us

I don't think Dye leaving Oregon helped us, but it didn't end up hurting us either.  Our RB room is stacked right now and doing just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

His weakness was catching the ball out of the backfield, but Bucky seems to have solved that!

Irving is gonna score by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Well, according to his Bio on GoDucks when Bucky was a Freshman at Minnesota he was:

"Second on the team in rushing with 699 yards in 133 carries to go along with four touchdowns … Led the team with 966 all-purpose yards, adding 194 yards on kickoff returns and 73 receiving yards to his rushing total ..."

It sounds to me like he was already catching the ball out of the backfield before he came to Oregon.  Shouldn't have been a surprise to us.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, Krsmqn said:

Bucky (and Noah) have better vision, burst. But how would have Dye done under the tutelage of Locklyn?

I think both have an extra gear over Dye as well... If they are in the open field they kick it up another notch and are gone.

Dye was and still is frequently caught from behind. He has good acceleration but not the home run gear. Verdell has better top end speed. 

But MC didn't get them to either of their full potential.

Also... Bucky just sheds tacklers like a windbreaker to rain. But we all know it never rains in Autzen. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 9:53 PM, David Marsh said:

I think both have an extra gear over Dye as well... If they are in the open field they kick it up another notch and are gone.

Dye was and still is frequently caught from behind. He has good acceleration but not the home run gear. Verdell has better top end speed.  

Dye is somewhere in-between:  More power up-close to the goal line (more like James) than Bucky, less speed and tackle shedding ability, less elusiveness.  If Dye were still a Duck, Dillingham would be utilizing him how his talents dictate.  Dye might also be more durable but we don't know that yet either.

Either way, in this system O is building Dye would have found a solid role and done just fine.  I still wish he was a Duck but things are working out well for us without him.  Besides, Bucky is more fun to watch!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, Mic said:

Besides, Bucky is more fun to watch!

Is Bucky more fun to watch or is it just this amazing offense? 

I don't really know ... But I do know this offense is super fun to watch and I love how Bucky runs! 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, David Marsh said:

I don't really know ... But I do know this offense is super fun to watch and I love how Bucky runs! 

Not just Irving, a lot of Ducks are making big contributions in the RB room. And with Big Sala out there 10 yards down field on a pull, fun to watch for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

And with Big Sala out there 10 yards down field on a pull, fun to watch for sure.

As long as Nix doesn't pull up and toss the ball.  I think I've lost count on how many times O has been flagged for linemen downfield.  And it always seems to happen on a big play.  It happened again yesterday.

Edited by Mic

I think a good topic of discussion would be the amount of touches Dye would get if he had stayed. Lanning doesn’t seem to care about what guys did before he got there (see Cardwell). My guess is dye would be used more as a receiving back.and he wouldn’t get many carries. 

We need to remember that Travis Dye was used in an offense that MariØ wanted. It would have been interesting to see Dye's production in Dillinghams' strategy.

• Thanks 1

To me, Bucky seems stronger, faster, is more shifty, and reads the holes at least as well as Dye.  Dye was great for Mario, Bucky has been awesome for Lanning.  Dye made the right decision to move on.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm thrilled that the Ducks have Bucky and how great he has been able to run the ball.  His future looks extremely bright as a Duck.  However, I can't say that anyone of those three backs were significantly faster than the other.  Their 40 yard dash times are pretty identical from low to high, with maybe, a slight edge to Bucky.  I can say that Verdell was definitively, the slowest of the flock though.

It was not easy finding running times for these players, and I don't know how reliable they are but this is what I found on Draft Scout:

Bucky.thumb.png.588171d60eb83ca08b9eff5bbd8fc405.png

Whittington.thumb.jpg.87f9650517debee39e4e034296471c3d.jpgDye.thumb.jpg.9fedb026d5d2c4f9f1ffdb2ddf0280c1.jpg

FishDuck's own Mike Kelly also reported Dye running a 4.32 time.  Although, he could have gotten slower since, with the added weight.

FISHDUCK.COM

A talent evaluation of Oregon Ducks freshman running back Travis Dye from Norco, California.

From what I have seen, Dye hasn't had any problems shedding tacklers this season.  I forget which game it was but on one run for SUC, he broke 4 tackles and scored a TD.  If it had not been for the efforts of Dye, SUC could easily be a 2 or 3 loss team right now.  Also, it's hard to judge these players from the previous season, because they all could have improved. 

Like ICamel pointed out, yards would have been hard to come by, for any back executing MariØ's predictable, run the ball up the gut, against a stacked box, in a vertically challenged offense.  He still managed to do more than alright last year, rushing for 1,271 yards and scoring 16 TDs. 

Many times, I was amazed at how Dye was able to create something out of nothing and escape out of the backfield.  MariØ ran him ragged, and you could tell he was banged up, playing without an injured Verdell, but he kept churning those legs and fighting for extra yards.  People can question his skills, but no one could ever question his heart.  Hell, guys like him were the heart of the Oregon team which is why, it is not hard to see how he became the heart of SUC team and a fan favorite, from very early on. 

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I just want you guys to have all the facts before you make a fair assessment/comparison.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions which makes for healthy discussions.

Having said all that, I still want SUC to lose every remaining game.  It may harm Oregon's chances of getting to the playoffs, but if it is meant to be, then they will get there, because they belong there. 

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks.  And I suppose the main point, is whether indifferent, leaning to Bucky, or thoughts of a tie….there is fair consensus that this team is just fine without Dye.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:33 PM, AllOregon said:

fair consensus that this team is just fine without Dye.

No argument here. 

While I really like what Bucky and the other backs have done so far, any scuttlebutt on what's happening with Cardwell?  Is the injury still lingering, is he in the doghouse, or do the coaches just think the other backs are better?  I really thought after the taste we got last year that Cardwell would be the Next Big Thing at Oregon.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:34 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

While I really like what Bucky and the other backs have done so far, any scuttlebutt on what's happening with Cardwell?  

Nothing, and Lanning & Co. are mum.  But right now Oregon has almost too many RB's available.  We're probably seeing the best 3 or 4 for the system Dillingham is running.  James the goal-line back, Irving & Whittington the 2 workhorse backs and Dollars the wildcard back.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Sean Dollars is being groomed for specific plays that his talents work best for. I don't really know where Cardwell would fit in among this bunch right now.  What do you do with too many running backs?  What a problem to have, eh?

Here's some info on injured Duck players, including Cardwell:

"Byron is a guy that's worked extremely hard and at some point it's about him feeling comfortable with himself, being able to step back out there on the field. We support him in every way from a medical standpoint and our coaching staff. He's a great kid. He does everything the right way and once he feels like he can get out there and compete for us, we welcome him out there to be able to see him on the field for us."

Is Lanning saying that Cardwell is holding himself out? Is he silently red shirting himself to save eligibility for a transfer? I don't want to start rumors but that seems to be a possibility.

Add two more >> to be closer to the mark.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, Krsmqn said:

I agree on the burst…. But not on the vision. Dye’s instincts are phenomenal. 

On 10/25/2022 at 2:29 PM, DUCKED said:

I agree on the burst…. But not on the vision. Dye’s instincts are phenomenal. 

I have to back Krsmqn on this. The current backs have better burst and vision. Dye ran like a pinball. He just bounced off things... no vision at all. His great attributes were his effort/desire and his ability to always be falling forward. But, as far as vision and his ability to change direction... Dye was lacking.

Dye was perfect for Mario's system because he was willing to hit the spot the play was designed for whether there was a hole there or not, get popped, and then fall forward. I appreciate that he was willing to do that for the Ducks. But, I would take any of our current backs over him.

I think we could all agree that Oregon could use a bruiser back to complement Bucky & Noah. I don't mean a "short yardage" back like James. 

I mean a guy like Zach Charbonnet, who will run 10-20 yards while running through/over/past/ but mostly through guys. 

Royce was that last Oregon back I remember to have that ability constantly, but there was this guy from Lacey, Washington a few years before him who could plow over guys. I wonder whatever happened to him 🤔

😄

Also, LeGarrette Punch .... Er, Blount, used to have that ability when he was able to stay on the field. 

Light, twitchy, fast, and elusive is always fun to watch... But sometimes you just wanna see a back bulldoze the field. 

👉🏻🦆

• Thumbs Up 1

You mean you want someone like this?

Donte Dowdell, 2023 Verbal Recruit to Oregon

Dante Dowdell, Picayune Memorial, Running Back

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not sure where I read this but Cardwell might be redshirting. That might mean Possible transfer. 

It was here in the forum, and still on the front page.

Byron Cardwell_Harry Caston.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, David Marsh said:

Bucky is more fun to watch. I think he breaks tackles and is more elusive in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Travis Dye and what he did as a Duck.  I wish him well at USC (and he's playing great there) . . .  until we (possibly) meet SC in the Pac 12 CG: at that point, I hope the Ducks can make him regret his decision to transfer!

• Applause 1