Vandownbytheriverduck

Dilly’$ Offen$e

It might be time to talk to Dilly’s agent about creating enough incentive to keep him from entertaining a HC spot too soon.

I love all of the coaches and what Dan Lanning is leading but the Offense and play calling has been elite at times.

Kenny Dillingham has as much to do with the success as anyone. 

Dilly won’t be around long without more. Can the Ducks offer enough? 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

It might be time to talk to Dilly’s agent about creating enough incentive to keep him from entertaining a HC spot too soon.

I love all of the coaches and what Dan Lanning is leading but the Offense and play calling has been elite at times.

Kenny Dillingham has as much to do with the success as anyone. 

Dilly won’t be around long without more. Can the Ducks offer enough? 

Imo, it won't be a head coaching job Kenny's looking for but a chance to take his Offense to the NFL.  If O loses him, it'll likely be there.  Either way, it'll be a dirty crying shame we couldn't keep him here long enough to help DL win Oregon a National Championship.

Edited by Mic

On 10/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Mic said:

Imo, it won't be a head coaching job Kenny's looking for but a chance to take his Offense to the NFL.  If O loses him, it'll likely be there.  Either way, it'll be a dirty crying shame we couldn't keep him here long enough to help DL win Oregon a National Championship.

Interesting. Hadn’t really thought he’d get that type of jump up but coaching is crazy and the NFL is going young. 

For not having called plays before he’s throwing multiple combos out of similar sets and really forcing defenses to be on point. 

Yesterday I felt that Dilly served the master with a taste of his own medicine. It was a thing of beauty. 

co-head coach and a big raise for. 5 year lock?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Interesting. Hadn’t really thought he’d get that type of jump up but coaching is crazy and the NFL is going young. 

co-head coach and a big raise for. 5 year lock?

Lot's of young talent in the NFL ranks - it's the mistake (imo) that Chip Kelly made when he jumped from Oregon to Philadelphia and tried to take on head coaching duties instead of teaching them his offense.  

Dilly would be a fine O.C. in the NFL and I'm guessing his salary would be equitable to the position, with a higher degree of success without the headaches and pressures of a Head Coaching position.

Time will tell, I suppose.  In the meantime we'll enjoy watching his Offense develop and evolve here while we can.  Tis a thing of beauty when it works!

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Clemson's offensive and defensive coordinators are the highest-paid assistants in the country, but only one...

After the season, Oregon needs to rework Dilly's contract. He needs to be top five. Most of the coaches at Oregon should get new contracts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I could see the UO back up the Brinks truck to keep him around for a couple more years. After that he may just walk right into an LSU level head coaching gig like Lanning did.

• Go Ducks! 1

The best part is Oregon is still playing with Miami money.

• Haha 4

On 10/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, Log Haulin said:
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Clemson's offensive and defensive coordinators are the highest-paid assistants in the country, but only one...

After the season, Oregon needs to rework Dilly's contract. He needs to be top five. Most of the coaches at Oregon should get new contracts. 

I'd bet on it.  Can't blame O for wanting to see how things worked out first, but unless there's a "total powder room collapse" Oregon is going to finish the season in solid contention for the Conference Crown and there should be presents coming for all.  Including Dillingham.

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1

I think we have Dilly for another year right now at least. His offense is incredible so far this year but he is young and this is his first time running his offense. I get the feeling he has a ton of eyes on him right now that are eager to wait and see for another year. 

I'm sure he'll be snatched up for a promotion some where but I don't know if anyone is quite ready to take that big of a risk on a one year OC who is running the show completely for the first time. 

It took Lanning a few years as DC before he could make the leap. Potential programs looking to hire Dillingham away from us will want to see him grow and be consistent.

Also they may want to see him develop a QB from scratch as well ... Nix is great this year because of Dilly's coaching. Dilly is putting Nix in position to make plays while not asking too much of him.

But Nix is also a pretty good quarterback who understands the college game at this point at a high level. Dilly is just adding some polish and cleaning him up. 

That's different than taking a raw recruit and making them into a star. 

On 10/23/2022 at 9:57 AM, David Marsh said:

Also they may want to see him develop a QB from scratch as well ... Nix is great this year because of Dilly's coaching. Dilly is putting Nix in position to make plays while not asking too much of him.

That's different than taking a raw recruit and making them into a star. 

Actually, I think Nix is being asked to do a lot precisely because of his experience and ability.  And it's working.  He's been given a lot of latitude to alter the plays on what he reads and which decisions he makes based on those reads.

Also, you are correct about the difference in what it takes to build a recruit into a star; so on that part I'm all with you.

As far as other programs waiting to see how Dilly does for another year, I'm not so sure other programs have the patience to see.  Some may, the better ones.  Others may not, the lesser ones.  Oregon may have inadvertently exposed a formula for other schools to follow to get a program back on-track  Go out and get a new HC and O.C. and find the best QB transfer you can.  

As I wrote in another thread....Dilly has only been here seven games and we're discussing his departure?  I am going to savor this special time, and enjoy the scoring and not worry about the negative until it actually comes...if it even does.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dilly seems like a pretty smart cookie. I think the smart move would be to stay with wonder boy Lanning while they both together figure out how to manage a legit top 10 team. Sure he could head out there and take any desperate dumpster fire job (ASU) he wants but that only puts him inside a dumpster fire. Not a good long term strategy.

A couple years of calling plays, leading a recruiting team and game planning with another master like Lanning will send his skills up a few notches. I'd way rather walk into the right upper level SEC or BIG 10 coaching situation than extinguish the fire in the dumpster of a desperate bottom feeder.

Even the FOX broadcast talked about Dilly and the ASU job. Pay him and figure out how we keep Bo for another year.

Not sure if Coach Dillingham would be more interested in an NFL OC or college HC but the consideration speaks volume for the job he is doing in Eugene.

Oregon’s offense is fun again and that is due to Dillingham and Bo Nix. I am enjoying every minute of it. 

Personally, I hope that Dillingham and Nix come back to Eugene for “ONE MORE YEAR.” But, if not, hopefully Lanning has some potential OCs in his notebook.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dilly was given an opportunity and mission when he joined Coach Lanning. I imagine he feels a responsibility and obligation to stay with Lanning and UO longer.

The coaching staff agreed to chase a national championship at Oregon. That is not a one year task. As a professional he is likely to continue the task for several more years then evaluate his options.

Coach Dillingham has two top (4☆/5☆) QB's in the locker room under his tutalege with a 5☆, possibly #1 nationally), on the way to Oregon. He will want to develop those players and coach them.

Oregon football has possibly the best tools, facilities, and support resources in the country. That includes the NIL program, sports performance training, off field anslysts, etc.

Kenny Dilligham will be courted and offered other positions. I will be very surprised if he leaves or strongly considers alternatives through the next two or more seasons.

Similarly, it will surprise me if Oregon does not sweeten the compensation package for Coach Dillingham.

Respect, professional development, relationships, communication, collaboration, compensation, and lifestyle are all related to job  satisfaction. Those aspects bolster retention if managed well.

Go Ducks.

Edited by Notalot
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Which Coordinators Are Making the Case for Head Jobs?

With a nationally televised game, Dillingham's name is showing up again in articles for coaching jobs.

Sports Illustrated mentions him prominently in this article...

WWW.SI.COM

Names at Illinois, Oregon, LSU and more may become hot commodities.

The heck with it. Have Dilly as associate HC#coach in waiting... Lanning sends his kids off to college, and Dilly can step in when CDL graduates to the next level.

Natural progression has it's place.

On 10/24/2022 at 4:23 PM, woundedknees said:

The heck with it. Have Dilly as associate HC#coach in waiting... Lanning sends his kids off to college, and Dilly can step in when CDL graduates to the next level.

Natural progression has it's place.

Lanning is creating something special here and Dilly can see it.  At only age 32...it would behoove him to stick around at least two years to truly soak in how to run a program.  And you never know--if the NFL comes calling for Lanning, (and I believe it will once he finishes the job here) who would be first in line to succeed Lanning?

Dilly.

But this all depends upon a ton of winning first, so since we have learned from the CK years that these things don't last forever...I am going to enjoy this while I can.

Offense Celebrates by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think Dilly would follow DL into the NFL, so we should be looking secure long term commitments for the coaching staff