1Funduck

Bo Stays at Oregon for 2023 Season?

Well now, wouldn't that be a headliner??!!

It's incredibly early, but I've been thinking. This usually gets me in trouble, but it will get the gears turning in this forum that's for sure.

It's no secret that The NFL is the end goal for College Football players. To get to the League is a dream come true. However, getting drafted anywhere out of the first round is a financial crap shoot. Sure, you do have guaranteed money, but it most likely wouldn't be the payday that Oregon faithful would muster up if we finish the season with a PAC title and a respectable showing in the Bowl game(s).

How Bo projects in the draft could very well set him up for an Oregon run next year. If he doesn't get invited to NY for the Heisman ceremony, what are the odds that he gets invited next year with Hawaii, Texas Tech, and PSU slated for non-con stat padding? Bo could very well eclipse 50 TD's next year along with back to back PAC Championships. The impact to his draft stock would be demonstrably evident. He would be a first rounder with the 'Signing Bo-nus' to match. 

Sticking around for an invite to NY and a first round pick could mean the difference of $30-$40 million guaranteed.

6-7 weeks to clarity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

If Dilly leaves then I would suspect that Bo would leave for the NFL. His time at Auburn wasn’t good because of their propensity to play “musical OC’s”. I don’t think he would be up for having his 4th in 5 years.

• Thumbs Up 3

Boo, got me all excited should have been a question mark at the end of the headline?

Anyhoo you got me so I might as well chime in ha ha.  

YES that would be great, don't see it happening though.  He's previously stated he's only going to be here for one year and if he finishes the season strong, it would make sense for him to declare if he's projected to be a day one or two draft pick IMHO.

That said, all indications are that he is loving playing football at Oregon right now, and Herbert came back for the same reason (and he was a sure top-ten pick) so you never know.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If Dilly leaves then I would suspect that Bo would leave for the NFL. His time at Auburn wasn’t good because of their propensity to play “musical OC’s”. I don’t think he would be up for having his 4th in 5 years.

Great point, that would pretty well seal it in my book, but my gut tells me KD is going to be around for another year (not just wishful thinking I hope).

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I totally agree with you assessment. Dilly is the key in this one I think. Bo is having fun this season and you only get these chances once.

If the Ducks go 12-2 or 13-1, I'm not sure how much draft capital Bo gets by coming back.  He is already 22 and will be turning 23 before the NFL draft in June.  Herbert is 24 and in his 3rd NFL season.  NFL teams don't like drafting old QBs.  Remember Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden, he was 26 when drafted.  He started 25 games and played in only 35 in 7 years.

If Bo truly has NFL aspirations, he has to go to the NFL after this season.  Looking at some 2023 mock drafts and 2024 mock drafts, both have 5 or 6 QBs taken in the first 2 rounds.  It doesn't appear there is any weakness in the 2024 NFL draft.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Bo keeps playing at this level it is time to go. Next year his OL might not be this dominating and things could change for him. Hard to play much better than his is right now. Hello NFL and $$$.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

If Bo Nix finishes this season strong, then I don’t see him returning. The OL will have a fair amount of new faces starting, and nothing short of leading the team to the CFP next year would really improve his NFL draft status. 

Our OL is a huge part of this team’s success. Herbert returned with a veteran OL, many who played with him for the entire time he was the starting QB.

Would Bo return with an unproven OL?

• Like 1

He’s not coming back. He lists himself as a senior even though he can list himself as a junior. DJU could transfer from Clemson. Offense and QB development haven’t worked out there in 3 season’s. If he wants to raise his draft stock he needs to go somewhere he can pad stats like Bo did. That would transition nicely to Dante Moore. 

It think it highly unlikely that Bo Nix will play another year at Oregon.  I wish he would, but I think it pretty wishful thinking. No, he's on to the NFL and with his skill set he should get a very good look-at by the scouts, the agents and more than a few teams.  imo

I think that if Nix continues to perform at this level he'll get drafted. 2nd, maybe 3rd round. That lands him with a team likely as a back up. I believe there is no doubt that young man wants to go to the league. He certainly has the maturity and football smarts to compete, even if the talent level is not exactly that of a franchise QB. I can't imagine he came to Oregon thinking two more years of college life. Nor did his southern born and bred spouse. 

I do not believe another year of college ball would make a difference in his draft stock. At this stage you are what you are and Nix, in the right system, is a damn good college quarterback. Maybe even a decent pro one. 

Don't get me wrong, but as much as I love what he has brought to OBD, with a Dilly offense tailored to his skill set, you stick him behind a mediocre NFL o-line and the old Bo may well re-emerge. He is simply not a Justin H. type passer, able to chuck the ball 60 yds downfield on a dime. But he might end up being a Joe Burrow style qb, and that will land him in a decent place.

My prediction is that KD stays at least another year to develop Moore or maybe Thompson as the next QB for OBD. Nix gets drafted. Maybe they look for another quarterback in the portal, but I hope someone in that room come next spring will be able to take the reins. Let's enjoy and ride the Bo train for as long as we can.

On 10/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, 1Funduck said:

Sticking around for an invite to NY and a first round pick could mean the difference of $30-$40 million guaranteed.

Look at the Pro's and Con's from Bo's point of view for staying at Oregon another year.

Pro:

Could go in the first round for ($12 to $40 mil)

Could get a Heisman cementing him in CFB history

Con:

Oregon's O-line will take a sizeable step backwards in '23

He could get an injury that lowers his draft earnings to $0

He could actually perform worse and lower his draft stock

He has to stay in school taking time away from his body and skills development

He's married and will delay moving to the city he will eventually be living in for yet another year

Considering if Bo goes in the 3rd round his earnings would be in the $5 mil range the costs and risks are potentially very high.  He came to Oregon to play behind this senior offensive line and to show that he's a much better athlete than what Auburn could showcase. 

Consider for a moment just how hard that decision was given that his dad is an Auburn legend and he grew up going to Auburn games.  It would be like if Justin Herbert had transferred to Clemson his senior year to play weaker defenses throwing to better playmakers so he could get into the NFL.  Thankfully Justin never had to make that choice even in Cristobal's system.

I for one am thankful that Bo transferred and is having an amazing season. He deserves this spotlight since Auburn fans took out their football frustrations on him instead of aiming them at the program.  

On a side note I really wish members of the media would stop asking him leading questions about his recent development this year.  They are trying to paint a picture that Auburn's program is worse than Oregon's, which of course it is.  I mean the guy transferred here, that's enough of a statement that we don't need to force him to spit on his childhood love in front of cameras.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It is amazing after reading week 1 comments, to read so many thoughts of Bo staying.

He has earned them though. 

Let me add a couple observations:

1) Bo is taking only 1 class.

I don't think he has any desire of a graduate degree.

2) he is currently earning over $400k with NIL. 

If he can't get more than that in the draft, that could be an influence. 

And 3) it's hard to improve your draft stock any more when your best season ever is your senior year

I believe he will be gone after this year.

And I believe Dillingham stays.

• Great post! 1

If Bo leaves next year, I bet Tyler Van Dyke will probably be in the Portal.  😁

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Now that's funny!  But, hey!  who knows, eh?

I'd prefer Oregon builds their own QB from here on out, but I'm gonna trust Lanning & Co. to make the right decision on those matters.  I'm done with second-guessing anything that man does anymore.  And I'm done with betting against the Ducks.  That 2x4 over-the-head hurts!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:42 PM, DanLduck said:

And I believe Dillingham stays.

I want to believe... 

I'm curious though why do you think he will pass on a head coaching job? 

I mean I get that Oregon's program offers a lot more upside than the Arizona schools and the staff seems to really be a great unit here.

The only argument I can give that KD stays is that DL will eventually get offers for the NFL and then KD either chooses to go with DL or compete for the Oregon opening.

On 10/24/2022 at 3:05 PM, Joe F said:

If Bo leaves next year, I bet Tyler Van Dyke will probably be in the Portal.  😁

But TVD cannot run.  He has amassed a TOTAL of 23 yards rushing in his three years at the U.  He's a passer and a good one.  But he doesn't run...which is integral to the Ducks' offense.  If he does head to the portal (smart of him), it won't be to Oregon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:13 PM, Mudslide said:

But TVD cannot run.  He has amassed a TOTAL of 23 yards rushing in his three years at the U.  He's a passer and a good one.  But he doesn't run...which is integral to the Ducks' offense.  If he does head to the portal (smart of him), it won't be to Oregon.

I did not know that. Good call!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/24/2022 at 7:16 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I want to believe... 

I'm curious though why do you think he will pass on a head coaching job? 

I mean I get that Oregon's program offers a lot more upside than the Arizona schools and the staff seems to really be a great unit here.

The only argument I can give that KD stays is that DL will eventually get offers for the NFL and then KD either chooses to go with DL or compete for the Oregon opening.

Like Dan Lanning,  KD will wait for a good opportunity. Not any opportunity. 

Oregon will increase salary if necessary, but KD will not leave for any program, it will take an ideal opportunity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:47 PM, DanLduck said:

Like Dan Lanning,  KD will wait for a good opportunity. Not any opportunity. 

Oregon will increase salary if necessary, but KD will not leave for any program, it will take an ideal opportunity. 

I agree totally.  Dillingham won't take just any job. Like Lanning, it will need to be a good fit.