Charles Fischer

Byron Cardwell Rumblings

A day ago...someone was asking about Cardwell on another (pay) Oregon site, and a number of people were offering their guesses.  Then the owner chimed in, (who makes a living on having inside contacts) and confirmed the different theories.

Byron got hurt, but upon healing could not move up the depth chart. After seeing the running backs here, and the Mississippi RB coming...he is practicing, but not playing and thus preserving a redshirt year.  It is assumed he will transfer at the end of season.

Like you, I penciled him in for a 1,000 yard year, but we can never guess what will happen at times.

Byron Cardwell scores_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

"Byron is a guy that's worked extremely hard and at some point it's about him feeling comfortable with himself, being able to step back out there on the field. We support him in every way from a medical standpoint and our coaching staff. He's a great kid. He does everything the right way and once he fee ls like he can get out there and compete for us, we welcome him out there to be able to see him on the field for us." - Dan Lanning

This statement seems to back this prospect up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boy, what does that say about depth in our RB corp if Cardwell was not able to move up the depth chart.  It is a puzzlement because he's that good to be the mainstay QB pounding out a 1,000 yd season.  I hope he stays.

Please keep in mind two points this is all brought up...1) when something is taken from a pay-site, I wait 24 hours before discussing here.  People pay for the right to that information to be immediate, and thus I wish to honor what those sites are doing.  Their subscribers who want to eat up new information will read it over there inside the 24 hour period.

2) Byron has not left, and is still practicing with the team.  This means that he WILL have four games to play in and yet retain a redshirt year. (I do not know if he has been on the field yet)  So in case of RB injury or dings, Cardwell is available to help the Ducks yet this season and raise his NIL profile with a future team.

Or he wins his spot back with the Ducks.

Having fresh legs in relief from a proven RB can be quite an asset at the end of the season?

Bryon Cardwell_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Runningback rotation has really settled down to three at this point. 

Bucky Irving, Noah Wittington and Jordan James .... Dollars gets a few snaps a game but really not much. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardwell transferring would be the end result.  It's an unfortunately common scenario...starter or rotation regular gets hurt, others step up and establish themselves, starter heals up but can't regain their position, then transfer out for better opportunities.  I kind of wondered whether this would happen when Coach Locklyn brought bulked up the RB room with transfers.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sean Dollars transfers out as well.

On 10/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, kirklandduck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardwell transferring would be the end result.  It's an unfortunately common scenario...starter or rotation regular gets hurt, others step up and establish themselves, starter heals up but can't regain their position, then transfer out for better opportunities.  I kind of wondered whether this would happen when Coach Locklyn brought bulked up the RB room with transfers.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sean Dollars transfers out as well.

I am fully expecting that as well.  I figured whoever was No. 4 and No. 5 (with Dowdell coming) would be leaving, but frankly I thought Noah Whittingham would be one of them.  He has been quite the surprise to me.

Noah Whittington2_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/25/2022 at 9:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

2) Byron has not left, and is still practicing with the team.  This means that he WILL have four games to play in and yet retain a redshirt year. (I do not know if he has been on the field yet)  So in case of RB injury or dings, Cardwell is available to help the Ducks yet this season and raise his NIL profile with a future team.

According to the Oregon website participation report Cardwell played in the first two games, eleven carries for 76 yards, four receptions for 34.  The dilemma for both the coaching staff and player is does he play in two more games.  If so which ones? 

• Thanks 1

Great comments and insights on this thread. 

With NIL, anyone can and may transfer out. Consider that some players,, around the country, who have great seasons may get better NIL offers.

No matter how frustrating this situation becomes, i will wish them well and hope they prosper. I have poured 44 years into my industry and helped develope a profit center within an industry. A competitor recently made me an offer that 5 years ago i would have taken.

Timing is everthing.........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

"Byron is a guy that's worked extremely hard and at some point it's about him feeling comfortable with himself, being able to step back out there on the field. We support him in every way from a medical standpoint and our coaching staff. He's a great kid. He does everything the right way and once he fee ls like he can get out there and compete for us, we welcome him out there to be able to see him on the field for us." - Dan Lanning

This statement seems to back this prospect up.

When I read this I could tell something was up. Leaving it up to the player to say when he is ready to play just didn’t sound right.

While Cardwell showed promise after an excellent freshman season, he does not have the lateral agility and quickness of either Bucky or Noah, both of whom can find the crease similar to the way Travis Dye did for the Ducks.

I expect to see Cardwell transfer.

Sadly, there will most likely be a few players we expected to see rise to the top that may end up instead leaving.

On the bright side, just about everybody Lanning has brought in has been an immediate impact player. He knows better what he’s looking for in his system than we do.

Next year, I would not be surprised if another elite senior QB transfers in along with a couple game changing O linemen to shore up that position.

I don’t see a Lanning coached team falling out of the top ten any time soon.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1