Pennsylvania Duck

WATCH: If Georgia and Oregon Met Again, What Would the Score Be?

I know OBDF has touched upon this topic in passing, but I actually ran across this video

of two analysts from 247 Sports discussing this very topic yesterday. 

Blake Brockermeyer and Carl Reed are analysts from the South who appear to have common Southern viewpoints of west coast football.

Both appear surprised the Ducks have done so well since the Georgia game. The UCLA results peaked their interest for the discussion.

Do you agree with their assessments? 

247SPORTS.COM

Carl Reed and Blake Brockermeyer discuss Oregon's run since getting blown out by Georgia in Week 1. What would be the result if these two teams faced off again?

That’s a tough question.  I think it boils down to a few unknowns at this point.  How much better will Oregon’s D be at that point?  As good as Oregon’s offense is, how will they matchup against a seemingly elite GA defense?  Maybe most important, how well will GA play?  

It’s reasonable to think that GA might come into such a game overconfident.  And if they did Oregon would absolutely take advantage.  The Ducks got embarrassed on Sept. 3 and I can guarantee that they would come into such a game like their tail feathers were on fire.  If this be the case, Oregon might grab momentum early and who knows from there?

In contrast to the last paragraph, (granted, coming from one who bleeds GA Red and Black) if they were to meet again it would be in the playoff.  GA is a very well coached team, the chances of them coming out flat in a playoff game are extremely low.  

Bo Nix has had a tough time with GA defenses, but I gotta admit he looks great running Dillingham’s offense.  He is due to have a banner day against the Dawgs.  I think he probably would have a good day, but IMHO probably not good enough.  I think in the end the Dawgs talent and depth probably win the day.  My guess is 45-31 Dawgs.  But close until the 4th.  

Really who knows though.  Much will be learned about GA in the next few weeks.  FL coming up and TN looming.  And the Ducks seem to get better every week.  As I’ve said on other threads, the Ducks offense gives them a chance in any game. 

• Like 1

I concur that the Duck offense has improved a lot but it has faced nothing like the Dawg defense since September 3. I'm guessing in a playoff game, the Dawgs prevail 42-17.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

42-17

Hate to say it, sounds about right.

• Thumbs Up 1

We still do not have the defense to compete with the SEC.   

I would be shocked to score the 17.  

The SEC truly hates Oregon.  

I do NOT want to play any of the top 3 SEC teams. We are not ready yet 

Remember last year.  Michigan absolutely demolished a veteran Ohio State team.  

Then Michigan had to face the SEC in playoffs and got curb stomped. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

When you watch the tape, the Ducks moved the ball well. The O-line had some fantastic blocks and large holes. I think Georgia still wins, but the D plays better and the O scores.

38-24 Dawgs, but a watchable game. 

On 10/27/2022 at 5:50 AM, Quackanadian said:

When you watch the tape, the Ducks moved the ball well. The O-line had some fantastic blocks and large holes. I think Georgia still wins, but the D plays better and the O scores.

38-24 Dawgs, but a watchable game. 

Maybe.  But UCLA scored 3O at Oregon, in the rain.  Georgia IMO would still get their 49. Our defense is ranked 77 in nation.  Our pass defense is in the bottom 10 percent.  So I am not sold we give Georgia a game after losing the second half in the rain to UCLA. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we are going to see a much improved defense by the last game of the year and put it on display in the P12 Championship by shutting down a good Trojan Offense. If we were to play Georgia again we will be much better prepared and give them a battle. We would lose 35 - 31 in a game that earns the respect of fans and potential recruits from around the country.

Edited by LADuck

The Duck D would have to show dramatic improvement beyween now and any potentially CFP game.

Dont get me wrong the defense has improved since the beat down in Georgia. However, what game since Georgia, has the Duck D played that leads us to believe yhey can hang with the real Dawgs? debbieduck makes some valid points.......

The Ducks O would have to play a near perfect game. The Ducks moved the ball well but made critical and key mistakes in that game. Yes, they have rolled since that game. But against who?

I believe the Ducks have the coaching leadership and improving player talent to go 12-1 and make the CFP.......

When and if things fall in line our OBD's could get that Dawg rematch. But they will be facing the reigning National Chsmps and that will still be the real Dawg Defense on that field. And their O is filled with freakish skill players.

I hope Bo gets his chance for a rematch, but Georgia 42 - Ducks 24. Honestly thst would make a great story and it would be a great season.

GO DUCKS! Beat Cal........

On 10/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, debbieduck said:

Remember last year.  Michigan absolutely demolished a veteran Ohio State team.  

Probably not the best measuring stick. Remember that Oregon beat tOSU, and we certainly were not that good last year. This year Oregon needed 5 to 6 games to get used to a new offensive scheme. 

There are teams where matchups pose problems for various reasons. Many people thought UCLA would force the Ducks into relying heavily on the passing game. 

While I am not betting that this team wins a National Championship, I would bet that all the players and coaches WANT to play any of the “top three” SEC teams. 

This is a good team. If Nix and the OL play well, they can be competitive with anybody. Why be scared to play anyone? 

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Check this site out for fun.

I plugged in Oregon at Georgia. This is the 22-23 season, so this year...

We can dream, right?

WWW.NCAAGAMESIM.COM

Football Game Simulator: Matchup any two NCAA Teams and see how the game would play out.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel the Ducks would still lose fairly badly. But, much would depend on where the game was played.

If we were to play again in Atlanta come January... Dawgs would likely win around 49-28. But, the Ducks would win the middle eight to give the game some excitement.

If it were closer. Say, Phoenix... Dawgs still win 42-31ish.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 6:22 AM, LADuck said:

I think we are going to see a much improved defense by the last game of the year and put it on display in the P12 Championship by shutting down a good Trojan Offense. If we were to play Georgia again we will be much better prepared and give them a battle. We would lose 35 - 31 in a game that earns the respect of fans and potential recruits from around the country.

Fair enough.  So you are saying by years end we will be better than Alabama?   That’s wonderful!  

On 10/27/2022 at 7:30 AM, Drake said:

Probably not the best measuring stick. Remember that Oregon beat tOSU, and we certainly were not that good last year. This year Oregon needed 5 to 6 games to get used to a new offensive scheme. 

There are teams where matchups pose problems for various reasons. Many people thought UCLA would force the Ducks into relying heavily on the passing game. 

While I am not betting that this team wins a National Championship, I would bet that all the players and coaches WANT to play any of the “top three” SEC teams. 

This is a good team. If Nix and the OL play well, they can be competitive with anybody. Why be scared to play anyone? 

You may be right but I beg to differ?   That Ohio State team last year was a very different team at seasons end, then the one we beat early in the season. 

Remember they beat Utah, the team that beat us by 50 twice just 3 weeks earlier.  

I don’t like it either.  But there’s the SEC and then everyone else.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

As long as we are talking theoretically, assume the money is equal -a couple of questions:

1. would Alabama schedule a home and home with the ducks? 

2. Would Oregon schedule a home and home with Alabama?

when was the last time Georgia travelled 3 time zones to play an away game?

south east chickens.😀

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Flyin Vee said:

As long as we are talking theoretically, assume the money is equal -a couple of questions:

south east chickens.😀

They play LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, every year,  in conference play. 

Then they play the Big 10 Champion, and then Georgia again!   

You want that schedule.  That’s what it takes to win a National Championship today.  

Why on earth would you also schedule a game against the PAC 12’s best team to start the year?  

look at those teams above.  Do you think Oregon plays that schedule and ends up 12-1?

Maybe in a few years but right now?  

Something tells me Alabama is not afraid to play us.   

• Great post! 1

Oregon completely surprises everyone and beats the Dawgs handily - 59 - 14!

And when I woke up, I was once again disappointed in another false hope dream. 

Oregon loses again 62 - 21 ( 14 of the 21 coming in garbage time)

Let's face it, folks ... Oregon isn't on that level. May never be. Georgia is a team that knows how to show up for big games, and win championships. 

Georgia will hear all the pundits praising Oregon, Nix, and Lanning/Dilly, and will make a point to thrash us worse than before. Oregon isn't the only team that can improve. Georgia would be ready, and motivated to put that little team from the west in their place. 

Sad, but true.

Unless..... I'm wrong. Which happens frequently. 😄

If a school hasn't won a championship, we all tend to think they never will.  However, it isn't like UGA is winning titles left and right.  They won a championship in 1980.  You might remember they had a guy name Hershel Walker on that team.  Then they won their 2nd title last year.  It was just last year, everybody was talking how UGA can't win a title.  A whole lot of things need to go right to win a title.

Are the top end teams in the SEC extremely good, absolutely.  However, when the majority of the SEC get half of their season win total from playing non-conference games against Miami OH, Youngstown St., N. Illinois, Charlotte, SC State and Georgia States of the world, don't color me impressed.

Mississippi St. and Arkansas miss 3 out of the top 4 teams in the SEC East.  They have too many teams in the conference and play too few conference games.  I have said it before, it is only going to get worse for both SEC and B1G TEN when they go to 16 teams.  ACC the same with 15 teams and 8 conference games.

There is nowhere to hide in the Pac 12 and Big 12.

Bo Nix claims Oregon would beat Georgia if given the opportunity again

Of course, the game ended in a 49-3 romp for the Dawgs at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Nix completed 21 of his

37 passes for just 173 yards, throwing 2 interceptions and 0 touchdowns. That dropped him to 0-4 all-time against Georgia.

But what if the Ducks and Bulldogs met again? Nix brought up that hypothetical scenario in an interview with CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd:

• “[I]f we played them again tomorrow, the game would be completely different, and everybody knows that.”

Wait, that requires a follow up. Do you believe Oregon would beat Georgia today?

1. “I do,” the senior said. “From the first game of the season, a lot of teams get so much better.”

Nix has received comments regarding this, but can you really expect him to say anything different?

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Bo Nix fell to 0-4 all-time against Georgia when the Bulldogs beat the Ducks earlier this year.

Just saw these tweets in relation to previous post:

Well there is one thing I can promise you: Should the stars align such that the Ducks and  Dawgs match up in the playoffs, you can bet that Bo's interview, if on tape,  will be recorded and broadcast on a cycle in the Dawgs' workout sites prior to that game. I could ask for no better bulletin board material.

I personally know or  know of, some of whom comment here, several Dawg fans that follow Oregon football and will continue to do so. Believe me, these  SEC fans most certainly do not hate Oregon. Kirby Smart also maintains 

great relationships with all his  ex-assistants who have become head coaches. He may try to beat their brains out between the lines, but he wishes them all well and is happy when they succeed.

I seem to vaguely remember a time when some naive Duck fans wore shirts to a home game that had "We want 'Bama" printed on them while they watched the Ducks lose.

I'm going to enjoy each game as it comes and not concern myself with the future.

Even with the abysmal start, this has been the most fun season I've enjoyed since Marcus won the Heisman. 

The Dillingham/Nix show is working well.

I don't care where they are ranked or if they are invited to the CFP this year. I've seen enough to know I love what I see.

I can't wait to watch another Duck football game.

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 2
  • Like 3

Prediction? Ducks make the playoffs face Dawgs in first game. 35-31 Ducks. Heading to the NCG to face tOSU. 

Ducks are better than they appear. By the end of season, LB play will be fixed. 

• Go Ducks! 1

If they played in a neutral sight, Autzen Stadium, 😂. My guess is a close game. Does Georgia ever play games 2600 miles from home?

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Haha 1

At a real neutral site?  I feel like it would be something like 42-28 Georgia.  That being said, Oregon would have a puncher's chance now....if they swung hard and often a couple good shots might take the Bulldogs down.

• Go Ducks! 1

I think this is an interesting discussion, but it's a long shot for happening.

Here's the thing with the first game. Oregon was playing last years Georgia (that would pound the ball inside to set up everything else) team and frankly got out coached.

This years Georgia team beat Oregon on the edge not by pounding the ball inside. Oregon had trouble tackling Georgia's big strong receivers on the edge which led to big plays.

I think after a season of watching this years Georgia team and how some others have kept them a little better corralled if not totally stopped, the Ducks have a better game plan next time.

That said, Georgia scores 35 on the Ducks this time. Question is can the Ducks score 35+ on Georgia?

I'm thinking not, but 35-27 Georgia seems realistic.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, Just Ducky said:

If they played in a neutral sight, Autzen Stadium, 😂. My guess is a close game. Does Georgia ever play games 2600 miles from home?

The answer is Nooooo!

Here's what I know for certain... It would not be 49-3

On 10/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

but it has faced nothing like the Dawg defense since September 3. I'm guessing in a playoff game, the Dawgs prevail 42-17.

This is an extremely fair comment.  I know we don't want to admit it but it's just a fact that the PAC has weaker defensive play than the SEC. 

I don't think some of the yards after catches and carries would be there against Georgia which would hamper the Oregon offense. 

I don't think Georgia would have as dominant a defensive showing now that Oregon's in synch but Georgia would absolutely slow Oregon's offense.

I think Oregon's defense would have a much better showing against Georgia now that they have solidified on a complementary scheme.  I don't think Oregon's defense stops Georgia though.

In the end by the numbers and assuming both teams play well I would expect Georgia to again come away with the win but not by the margin of the first game.

If Georgia sleeps on Oregon?  It's an upset but that's a vacuous statement and is true of any game between skilled opponents.  I don't see Georgia sleeping on very many opponents.  

I would cut your margin a touch and say Georgia 35 Oregon 23.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:23 PM, OhioDuck said:

I think this is an interesting discussion, but it's a long shot for happening.

Here's the thing with the first game. Oregon was playing last years Georgia (that would pound the ball inside to set up everything else) team and frankly got out coached.

This years Georgia team beat Oregon on the edge not by pounding the ball inside. Oregon had trouble tackling Georgia's big strong receivers on the edge which led to big plays.

I think after a season of watching this years Georgia team and how some others have kept them a little better corralled if not totally stopped, the Ducks have a better game plan next time.

That said, Georgia scores 35 on the Ducks this time. Question is can the Ducks score 35+ on Georgia?

I'm thinking not, but 35-27 Georgia seems realistic.

That would be a typical Alabama vs Georgia score.  So you believe we are on Alabama’s level now? 

On 10/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, Krsmqn said:

Oregon isn't on that level. May never be.

Never say never... I'm old enough to remember when the SEC wasn't that good.  Georgia won in 1980 and the next SEC team to win was in 1992 with Alabama.

The point is that CFB is a shifting landscape and it's absolutely true the SEC is dominant in the current era but stuff happens in this sport.  Money is moving around and booster money is going to be peanuts in a few years.  It was booster money that bought the Pete Carroll era at USC. 

The programs that are able to run their teams as a business and best posture their players for NIL and the NFL will dominate the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Flyin Vee said:

south east chickens.😀

Prior to UG, when was the last time we traveled 3 time zones to play an away game. I believe it was last year against OSU.

I'm just not buying the impact that the time zone thing has on these kids. It's not exactly like they're traveling by wagon train, or even on the dog... aka Greyhound.

And they're only there for a few days so it's not like they're even having to adjust to the time where they are visiting. 

On 10/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, Just Ducky said:
On 10/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, Just Ducky said:

f they played in a neutral sight, Autzen Stadium, 😂. My guess is a close game. Does Georgia ever play games 2600 miles from home?

The answer is Nooooo!

Georgia has played games on the coast before although it has been awhile. They have a home and home with UCLA on the schedule, first game in he Rose Bowl in 2025 if memory serves me. They had a home and home with Ohio State coming up that Ohio  State bailed on. They also had upcoming home and homes with Oklahoma and Texas on the docket that the SEC struck down because these teams will be in the league and the dates do not work with the revised  scheduling formats.

Uga fans would love to have more intersectional games with the PAC-12, and the second most desired away game, after the Rose Bowl which will no longer be in play as a PAC-12 home, is probably good ole Autzen. 

SE chickens? Hardly!!

There are plenty of very good skill players out West - the main problem is a dearth of O and D linemen, probably more so D linemen that are big AND fast like you find on many SEC teams. I'm sure DL knows this and will recruit accordingly. Before him, Pete Carroll totally understood that you have to control the trenches on both sides of the ball which I would say is a primary reason why USC was as dominant as it was most times while he was HC. Heck, they even beat highly ranked Auburn teams (at the time) twice in a home and home and thoroughly destroyed Arkansas twice as well, which can be a decent SEC team at times.

IMHO, if PAC-12 teams can recruit linemen like those that play in the SEC, the upper tier conference teams especially would be much more competitive/dominant in their OOC games. I'm going to go against the grain and despite what many say about HC Cristobal, at least he got it right about upgrading Oregon's O-line. That said, in both teams' current states, if Oregon and Georgia were to play each other again, IMHO Oregon would be more competitive, but unfortunately would still fall short, 34-19 as Georgia is a team that is at a whole different level than practically every D-1 team save 'Bama and maybe Tennessee.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

On 10/28/2022 at 10:29 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Georgia has played games on the coast before although it has been awhile. They have a home and home with UCLA on the schedule, first game in he Rose Bowl in 2025 if memory serves me. They had a home and home with Ohio State coming up that Ohio  State bailed on. They also had upcoming home and homes with Oklahoma and Texas on the docket that the SEC struck down because these teams will be in the league and the dates do not work with the revised  scheduling formats.

Uga fans would love to have more intersectional games with the PAC-12, and the second most desired away game, after the Rose Bowl which will no longer be in play as a PAC-12 home, is probably good ole Autzen. 

SE chickens? Hardly!!

I see no games on that list that are over 2600 miles but I would love to see them come to Autzen. SEC teams travel well. I witnessed a Tennessee game at Autzen a few years ago and those fans were the best.