Red Eddy Green

Tyler Shough in the Transfer Portal

Beat me to it...

This is an earthquake within the program. Not inherently bad but it does set the stage for an even more competitive Quarterback competition in the Spring and Fall.

I didn’t think my prediction would come true so quickly.  😳I was hoping he’d compete but it’s not hard to see that he was facing serious competition from better athletes more suited to run Joe Moorehead’s system. 
Best of luck to him. He tried his best during a very difficult year. I hope he enjoys some success. 

7 minutes ago, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

I didn’t think my prediction would come true so quickly.  😳I was hoping he’d compete but it’s not hard to see that he was facing serious competition from better athletes more suited to run Joe Moorehead’s system. 
Best of luck to him. He tried his best during a very difficult year. I hope he enjoys some success. 

I was sure we would see another quarterback transfer out sometime soon. My prediction was no one was going to transfer out of the program until after Spring at the earliest though leaving now would allow Shough to potentially transfer somewhere in time for spring practice. Best of luck to him, I don't envy any quarterback who has to follow one of the all time greats at Oregon, Justin Herbert.

13 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

My prediction was no one was going to transfer out of the program until after Spring at the earliest though leaving now would allow Shough to potentially transfer somewhere in time for spring practice.

13 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

I was sure we would see another quarterback transfer out sometime soon. My prediction was no one was going to transfer out of the program until after Spring at the earliest though leaving now would allow Shough to potentially transfer somewhere in time for spring practice. Best of luck to him, I don't envy any quarterback who has to follow one of the all time greats at Oregon, Justin Herbert.

I agree. I’d have thought he’d have given spring a chance but the more I think about it the more sense it makes.
Grad transfer, three years to play, more of a pro style QB with AB having already supplanted him in the biggest game of the year and some seriously talented guys ready to compete. He could possibly have been fourth on the depth chart and never start a game again. You never really know whose going to step up, or get hurt. another great appreciative farewell considering how thought it must be. 

So now we only have one quarterback who has experience, and I am not sure he is the season-long answer.  The learning curve for quarterbacks is much longer than the patience curve of the fans...

Tyler Shough vs. WSU_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

41 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

So now we only have one quarterback who has experience, and I am not sure he is the season-long answer.  The learning curve for quarterbacks is much longer than the patience curve of the fans...

Yep. 

Good for Tyler, and I wish home great success. I do have to wonder if he did it because he thought he might drop to 3rd in the OR  QB room...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

The learning curve for quarterbacks is much longer than the patience curve of the fans...

It is, but as David mentioned earlier, it does narrow the competition which could prove to be beneficial, Best of luck to Tyler and to the quarterbacks who will be competing for the starting position. 

42 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

We have this unusual year that includes a new coach, new system and a seasonal disruption caused by a world wide pandemic.  We have a fanbase that does not see the potential of a young player whos recruiting list includes the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, FSU and changed his commitment from U of North Carolina.  But this could have far more damaging implications to future recruits considering all the transfers, coaching staffing changes and lack of players being coached up to get into the NFL.  Be careful for what you wish, remember a guy named Joe Burrow from the Ohio State.  Shough, best of luck to you, may you see success in your future.  Once a Duck, Always a Duck. Go Ducks go.

• Thanks 1

I have a feeling Mario is a straight shooter with his players.  He probably mentioned to Tyler he wasn't going to be the starter and it would be in his best interests to find another place to play.  

Kids transferring is pretty common, so I don't think the Ducks are going to have any longer term issues, other than we might be a bit thin at the QB position for next season.

Ty has been on campus for just a few weeks and already multiple qb's have headed to the exit. Could be good news as it, often, becomes evident quickly when somebody is just a bit better.

I do wish Tyler all the best. We didn't see just how good he will be in the future. 

We do need at least 3 good options, and hopefully we don't lose anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Haywarduck said:

Ty has been on campus for just a few weeks and already multiple qb's have headed to the exit. Could be good news as it, often, becomes evident quickly when somebody is just a bit better.

I'm not entirely sure how this would be good news, it isn't like spring ball has started and while I do believe players have the option/ability to practice together the only thing coaches can mandate as of current is weights/gym time.

I think this is more about Shough trying to preserve himself and give himself the head start at another program. With him already completing his degree I do not blame him in any manner.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tandaian said:

I have a feeling Mario is a straight shooter with his players.  He probably mentioned to Tyler he wasn't going to be the starter and it would be in his best interests to find another place to play.  

I doubt MC would have told Shough to look elsewhere but he does preach competition. 

And there are workouts going on right now and players have probably started meeting up on their own to practice among themselves. 

It sounded like Butterfield was coming along quite well last year working with the threes. Thompson is working out with the team and is probably practicing with some receivers...

Both have stronger arms than Shough and if they have the accuracy thosr two will be in contention for some real playing time. 

Brown's ceiling isnt as high as Butterfield or Thompson's but he has expirence and if he can make a good show of it he can win it.

Shough isn't in a great position to win the job and his confidence took a serious hit at the end of the season. 

Odds are Shough wasn't going to win the job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just tells me that Tyler didn't believe he would win out. How can I take that badly? He was the starter who clearly believes someone else in the QB room is better. I'm going with that. Oregon will have a better QB starting next year. This helps Shough have time, to have a chance with a new team. Wish him well. He is a class act. Now the QB room will be scrapping for that spot. Awesome!  Oh, the intrigue!

"I appreciate the Academic staff for your constant help and guidance that has allowed me to graduate with two degrees in 3 years."

Wow! On top of football - might not be in the nfl someday, but he will be successful.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one is a shocker to me.  I thought he should have at least gone through Spring workouts to see where he is, even with an up and down 2020 season he has the advantage of game experience in the current offensive scheme.  I don't think Anthony Brown is the answer for next season, he's experienced but my impression is that his ceiling just isn't as high as the younger guys.  Might as well start a younger guy to develop him more quickly than band-aiding with AB for one season.  

Taking a shot in the dark, I'm going to say Jay Butterfield is the lead to start in the Fall.  He's had the opportunity to practice in Moorhead's offense in 2020 without the pressure of starting and he has a similar toolset as Shough.  Add to that a presumed full set of Spring practices and a real pre-season plus 3 OOC games, that sets things up nicely for him.

Robby Ashford could have a shot as I feel like a true dual threat QB like him is better suited for Moorhead's O but I think he was more raw than Butterfield when Oregon recruited him and I'm going to guess that's still the case.

Ty Thompson has enough talent to challenge for QB1 but that being said, it's rare for a true frosh to come in at QB and perform right away.  Plus in that scenario it would be virtually guaranteed that at least 1 other QB would transfer out, putting Oregon in an awkward situation.

Edited by kirklandduck

See the intrigue starts.. who really will emerge??? ... we know so little... but Shough knows a LOT... He left. Tells me there is at least one that Shough was sure would beat him out. Makes me feel better about whomever it is.

I wonder where he's going to go where he is going to be more likely to start. A lower level of football, I guess.

And I HOPE it's just about the depth at the position, rather than a coaching thing or whatever.

QB is such a nutty position to manage in college football.

I have to admit it makes me feel optimistic that there are such better qb's in the room right now he didn't want to wait till spring ball.  Even with the screwy 2020 season I didn't think he was going to be the future of Oregon football. 

On that note I was just reading how the transfer portal seemed to work out for Burmeister, started a few games for Virginia Tech last year and is the front runner to be the spring starter, I wish them both good luck.

One thing to note...Oregon was at the max of 85 scholarship players.  This news, while a little surprising that it involves a qb, opens up that one slot...for hopefully that ONE guy, Mr. JTT.  Or...recruiting flexibility.

And I thought we put a stick through that " not coaching up" idea.  Different systems call for different play.  The Duck coaches coach up their players just fine.

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Whats sad is that TS was the best QB in the PAC. A QB rating in the 160's? Uh, thats pretty good. He had a couple of series in the end of the season that stumbled. Cant argue this but, Wow! The confidence of TS evaporated awfully quick. Either way, TS must have gotten a 1 on 1 and was informed that he would Not be the starter. At the very least it was going to be an open audition with TT having the fans backing already. Its just fact.

I think he would be a pretty good fit at Colorado State.

4 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

This is the reason that this is not good news. AB has experience but he wasn't all that impressive in his limited number of snaps. Now, Butterfield, Ashford, and Ty Thompson HAVE to step up and be good.

AB is gone in one year, and that should encourage everyone else to stay in the room. Ashford has a good reason to stay because of baseball. His talents will be highlighted well with the Ducks. How well he does on the football field depends on how much time he wants to put into football as opposed to baseball.

1 hour ago, Ed O said:

I wonder where he's going to go where he is going to be more likely to start. A lower level of football, I guess.

I doubt it. Last year TS was one of the top fifty QBs in the whole country. He could probably start at almost any mid-level power 5 school in the country.

• Like 1

I would say it's a combination of the abysmal way the QB position was handled in the last 2 games, plus I think Shough saw that he wasn't as good as some other folks.  I'd bet he winds up at a non power 5 school.  Kinda like Bryan Bennett did.  I wish him the best.  Now lets get to the finding a quarterback that can take us to the CFP again!

GO Ducks!!!

Of course I wish Tyler the best and appreciate his hard work and accomplishments in the program. And congratulations for completing a couple of degrees in a short period!

I am trying to make sense of the timing of his announcement, for what it is worth (which is nothing). After seeing the talent that he would be competing against was he really concerned about his chances to start again? 

Onto the next QB chapter! Any thoughts on another transfer QB coming in? 

I really appreciate the positive thoughts toward Tyler in this thread. I saw way too many negative opinions on a Duck Football Facebook page, which frankly, made me sick. (Some were probably from disguised Beavers).

Go Ducks!

This is a harbinger of just how good Ty Thompson is right now.........and is going to be after a few seasons. 

You don't sky rocket up the rankings the way he did unless you are showing some elite skill sets coupled with size and ability to scramble and make big plays. 

Here is my prediction: sans injury Ty Thompson, an incredible trio of WR's and a stout defense anchored by some incredible LB play take Oregon back to the playoffs in the 22 and/or 23 seasons.

Going to have to be patient for one more season though.......which won't be easy I am afraid.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, C J said:

This is a harbinger of just how good Ty Thompson is right now.........and is going to be after a few seasons. 

You don't sky rocket up the rankings the way he did unless you are showing some elite skill sets coupled with size and ability to scramble and make big plays. 

Here is my prediction: sans injury Ty Thompson, an incredible trio of WR's and a stout defense anchored by some incredible LB play take Oregon back to the playoffs in the 22 and/or 23 seasons.

Going to have to be patient for one more season though.......which won't be easy I am afraid.

I think you are correct, 2022 or 2023. 

Timing for Shough starting was less than ideal, he was either going to sink or swim. He had to follow one of our very best QB’s, had an inexperienced offensive line, and new play book to deal with. Expectations were for the Ducks to dominate the PAC 12...no pressure at all. Tough decision, wish you luck in the future TS. 

With him exiting the program, an opportunity is presented to someone else. May the best man for the job win.

Watching talented young people get beaten down is the hardest part of being a college football fan. But, that is the reality of a program striving to be the best....sigh.

I guess I just don't understand the general lack of enthusiasm for AB.

Do people realize to this point he has thrown 23 passes as a Duck (at 63%)? That isn't even a single game. That and 7 rushes at 5.7 yards per carry and 2 TDs.

It wasn't even against South Dakota, Nicholls State, or Wyoming at home, but USC in the Pac-12 Championship game and against a top 10 Iowa State team in the Fiesta Bowl. Games he didn't even start or get to run the ones by himself as the starter.

Is it because he overthrew a guy in the Fiesta Bowl and missed a TD? Well, it seems like we all watched Herbert make 2-4 head scratchers a game pretty much all four seasons? He turned out ok. Maybe AB can be allowed at least 3-4 such passes before we jump all over him? It isn't like he hadn't thrown a nice ball for a touchdown THE VERY PREVIOUS PLAY, called back for a hold.

He later fumbled? Well, it was a very close play, and an obvious effort play (all several replays could confirm was it was very close, and you couldn't see anything to clearly change the original call. Different original call and the Ducks quite possibly keep the ball).

Is it Boston College? Well, BC in terms of recent results and talent level (based on recruiting) has a lot more in common with teams like Colorado, Oregon State, Arizona, or Cal than anyone else in the Pac-12. He redshirted, started as a rFR, and battled through two major leg injuries. He played (over the relevant time frame) in a tradition run oriented, play action (pocket passing), pro style offense, with a future NFL back being the focus of the offense. His stats were pretty in-line with a developmental rated high school prospect, playing in an old school offense, that went 57-69 from 2010-2019 with a few Pinstripe and Quick Lane bowl type appearances, on teams with recruiting ratings somewhere between 55-65 nationally.

He didn't come in and win the job at Oregon, but with COVID cancelling the season, then a rush to throw it all together, and an arguably pretty strong momentum generally in favor of TS, one wonders if the competition ever really got going - beyond AB coming back off injury and shaking off rust in the run up. JM was a couple months on staff when AB was brought in. Probably some evidence JM felt pretty good about the 4 years he saw on tape...

Edited by AnotherOD

5 hours ago, countryboy541 said:

I think he would be a pretty good fit at Colorado State.

UNLV.  Play for Arroyo.  Knows the system.  Arroyo recruited him to Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, TPM said:

UNLV.  Play for Arroyo.  Knows the system.  Arroyo recruited him to Oregon.

Arroyo would love to have him.  Lots of teams would.

9 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

I guess I just don't understand the general lack of enthusiasm for AB.

Do people realize to this point he has thrown 23 passes as a Duck (at 63%)? That isn't even a single game. That and 7 rushes at 5.7 yards per carry and 2 TDs.

It wasn't even against South Dakota, Nicholls State, or Wyoming at home, but USC in the Pac-12 Championship game and against a top 10 Iowa State team in the Fiesta Bowl. Games he didn't even start or get to run the ones by himself as the starter.

Is it because he overthrew a guy in the Fiesta Bowl and missed a TD? Well, it seems like we all watched Herbert make 2-4 head scratchers a game pretty much all four seasons? He turned out ok. Maybe AB can be allowed at least 3-4 such passes before we jump all over him? It isn't like he hadn't thrown a nice ball for a touchdown THE VERY PREVIOUS PLAY, called back for a hold.

He later fumbled? Well, it was a very close play, and an obvious effort play (all several replays could confirm was it was very close, and you couldn't see anything to clearly change the original call. Different original call and the Ducks quite possibly keep the ball).

Is it Boston College? Well, BC in terms of recent results and talent level (based on recruiting) has a lot more in common with teams like Colorado, Oregon State, Arizona, or Cal than anyone else in the Pac-12. He redshirted, started as a rFR, and battled through two major leg injuries. He played (over the relevant time frame) in a tradition run oriented, play action (pocket passing), pro style offense, with a future NFL back being the focus of the offense. His stats were pretty in-line with a developmental rated high school prospect, playing in an old school offense, that went 57-69 from 2010-2019 with a few Pinstripe and Quick Lane bowl type appearances, on teams with recruiting ratings somewhere between 55-65 nationally.

He didn't come in and win the job at Oregon, but with COVID cancelling the season, then a rush to throw it all together, and an arguably pretty strong momentum generally in favor of TS, one wonders if the competition ever really got going - beyond AB coming back off injury and shaking off rust in the run up. JM was a couple months on staff when AB was brought in. Probably some evidence JM felt pretty good about the 4 years he saw on tape...

Absolutely agree on all points.  Just confounds me how and why he didn't get a chance to play earlier.  I just don't know how he didn't get a chance in games where Tyler was struggling.  Another poor decision by the coaching staff?  I agree next year (if it goes through as planned with the China virus and all) the schedule is kinda tough.  I believe TT will be our starter by the start of conference play next year and we make it back to the CFP in 22 or 23.

AB had/has a 2 to 1 TD to interception ratio... that doesn't bode well for PAC12 play, or sound like a PAC12 QB. I wish him all the luck if he gets the nod, but like others have said, his ceiling is where the other QBs start. 

Different programs, different teams, different players, different coaches, different schemes.

If one wants to make as close a direct comparison from basic statistics, it would probably be TS in 7 games as a sophomore and AB in 6 games as a junior:

Shough: 106-167 (63%) for 1559 at 9.3 Y/A with 13/6 TD/INT for 160 pass rating. 271 rush yards at 4.1 ypc and 2 TDs

Brown: 81-137 (59%) for 1250 at 9.1 Y/A with 9/2 TD/INT for 155 pass rating. 128 rush yards at 3.9 ypc and 2 TDs

That's probably the best simple stats apples-to-apples comparison - beyond direct eyeball opinion on USC and Iowa State in 2020 (in that comparison, TS threw one INT every 27 passes, AB one INT every 68 passes).

Accounting for different offensive schemes (if not just beyond one team regularly throwing the ball down field more than the other) and it appears at least a push; or, at the very least not too strong a case the numbers show AB is some how a career low ceiling guy, significantly different than TS. One was a RS sophomore and the other a RS junior, but it's not like there aren't numerous examples of 3 year starters whose worst statistical year out of the 3 was as a junior (so statistical improvement cannot just be assumed, only possible).

Edited by AnotherOD

Gotcha. I trust that the coaches will make the right choice. It doesn't stop my heart from being in my throat every time AB throws a pass, knowing that his history shows he is half as likely to throw a pick, vs a TD. 

Either way, I love my ducks and can't wait for the season to start.