David Marsh

Miami.... Won????

Just saw the box score. 

Miami 14 

Virginia 12 

In 4 overtimes! 

That sounds like a type of game Cristobal wants. Knifefight in a phonebooth type of game. 

The type of game that as Oregon fans we never want to see again if possible. It probably doesn't have Miami fans all that happy either right now. 

4 quarters and 4 OTs to score. 14 points. 

For the record... Not a single touchdown was scored by either team and at the end of regulation the score was 12 to 12. 

• Yikes! 3
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 3

That’s a heck of a high score for a soccer game…

If I were a player or recruit for Miami I'd be looking for ways out right now. Yikes.

*Against a 3 win team. 

Mariø 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

In four quarters plus four OTs, Miami had 272 yards of offense... and 308 yards of punting.

Cristo-ball!

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 1

How do you score 2 points in overtime???

• Haha 1

I wondered the same thing.  From the NCAA website...

Here are the latest overtime rules:

• In 2021, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a change to overtime rules. Teams will be required to run a 2-point conversion play after a touchdown when a game reaches a second overtime period. Previously, a 2-point attempt was required after the third overtime period.
  •  
  • Also established in 2021, if the game reaches a third overtime, teams will run alternating 2-point plays, instead of starting another drive at the opponent’s 25-yard line. This is a change from the previous rule, which started to use 2-point plays in the fifth overtime period.
  • Salute 1

On 10/29/2022 at 5:16 PM, kirklandduck said:

If I were a player or recruit for Miami I'd be looking for ways out right now. Yikes.

And yet Mario and Miami received the surprise commit this week from (five star) top CB prospect in the nation (Cormani McClain) who the 247 composite has rated as the number 2 overall prospect.

Obviously a pretty large NIL likely was dropped (the kid was thought to be like 95%+ Florida or Alabama in the lead up).

So Mario delivering the recruiting goods for a kid who likely has several NIL opportunities and still chose Mario's rebuild. Recruiting often is its own kinda rollercoaster. 

Edited by AnotherOD

On 10/30/2022 at 9:40 AM, AnotherOD said:

And yet Mario and Miami received the surprise commit this week from (five star) top CB prospect in the nation (Cormani McClain) who the 247 composite has rated as the number 2 overall prospect.

Obviously a pretty large NIL likely was dropped (the kid was thought to be like 95%+ Florida or Alabama in the lead up).

So Mario delivering the recruiting goods for a kid who likely has several NIL opportunities and still chose Mario's rebuild. Recruiting often is its own kinda rollercoaster. 

From Andrew Nemec, who covers recruiting nationally...Read his comments below:

I wonder which mediocre team will end up with the highest payroll, Miami or Texas A&M?  The good news is I doubt either will win a championship.

BROBIBLE.COM

Getty Image / iStockphoto Billionaire Miami booster John Ruiz wants to pay out $10 million in NIL deals through his company LifeWallet. Since his

Sadly, no matter how much NIL gets pumped into a Mario run program, 4 OT 14-12 wins over UVs will be his ceiling because that is all his offensive imagination will allow. Today we are grousing at how the Ducks should have put 60 on Cal and 42 was underwhelming.

Last year we were just thankful to get a forth and goal stop to survive against Cal with mostly the same roster.  Miami is seeing their results swinging the other way with mostly with the same roster. Doing less with more is just how Mario rolls.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

McClain is a south Florida kid. He probably has some affection for the  Hurricanes and tie big bag ensures that he can stay home and do South Beach up  right. Believe me, as a "fun" locale, Miami has it all over Tuscaloosa or Gainesville, FL. 

I know it's easy to do, and it's tempting, but every decision made by a big time recruit isn't necessarily due to NIL. 

We have seen abuses far and wide, and will continue to, but MC was rocking  the recruiting before NIL. 

If you notice, Bo is getting big bucks.

So is Flowe. Many others also.

The same can be said of us about high profile recruits.

The big difference is we want recruits who want to work hard, not party hard.

My hope is that this freewheeling spending by a booster with so much money it doesn’t matter to them they spend to land recruits is enough to get the power schools in the SEC and B1G to the point that even they can’t stand the craziness and so conclude reigning in NIL is very much in their interests.

For better or worse, it’s the B1G and SEC’s world and we’re just living in it.  Only way peace spreads across the land is if they will it into being